Firewood Vaporizer

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I was referring to the microchips on the circuit board that are visible thru the two holes.

Ah whoops please excuse my stupidity!

Just had a near full bowl of nice consistent medium fine grind lemon cello in my own FW7... This is my old beta, stuck with the WPA, but still a fantastic vapor experience with my custom cobalt micro jayhook!

PXL-20201209-213614792.jpg

My new FW7 should be arriving this week already, so I can finally try that properly and with my O'Connell stems soon enough...

Last edited:

Vaporware

To save Marc from having to repeat it here, and the rest of you from waiting, here’s what “vaporeng” (I believe it’s Marc) said in the reddit thread:

“Yeah, the electrical leads are not sealed off so it is definitely possible for some air to pass over the circuit board. However this is before the air is even warm and as long as you don't cover the inlet holes the air will mainly go though them.​
If this was a health problem, then personal computers would be banned as they are now. You have a lot of circuit board area inside a box getting warm and a fan blowing the hot air into your work area for you to breath. If circuit board air was a bad thing, then we'd all be dead now.”​

Personally I’d still rather not have air coming in through that area, but like I said it’s a very common design decision made in many popular vaporizers and I think I probably worry too much about it.

The Firewood 7 seems to have an otherwise very good air/vapor path compared to most of what’s out there, so as long as nothing new comes up that makes it seem to be a real problem I’m going to try not to worry about it.

Now if my package would just get here...:rant:

Mail delays...it shipped on the 2nd and should have been here on the 5th but hasn’t made it yet. Thanks people who are trying to destroy the USPS! :argh:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
There's a difference between diluted air from a fan in a big room volume and chronic direct inhalation deep into the lungs tho... I've seen this computer fan argument put forward many times. I even made some research back then on the literature around volatile compounds from PCBs and PCBA processes, but the main concerns were mostly about residues from the manufacturing and/or coatings on particular components.

It was rather inconclusive, but as was the case with other vapes in the past, sometimes it doesn't matter if it's healthy or not, if that alters taste or adds smells then it's not desirable. I think if it can be avoided, then just for the sake of peace of mind, and until proven otherwise, it's better if it is...

Last edited:

dimmusp

There's a difference between diluted air from a fan in a big room volume and chronic direct inhalation deep into the lungs tho... I've seen this computer fan argument put forward many times. I even made some research back then on the literature around volatile compounds from PCBs and PCBA processes, but the main concerns were mostly about residues from the manufacturing and/or coatings on particular components.

It was rather inconclusive, but as was the case with other vapes in the past, sometimes it doesn't matter if it's healthy or not, if that alters taste or adds smells then it's not desirable. I think if it can be avoided, then just for the sake of peace of mind, and until proven otherwise, it's better if it is...
Yeah, this is very disappointing... :(

dimmusp,

Traveler

At lunch today my tip got stuck and the nipple stem slipped off when trying to extend it for a session, I haven’t taken the stem slide off since I got it last week and have put around 3 grams of banana cream cake through it...looks like I’m going to have to clean this area more often 😁

. Edit #1 - Hmm keep getting errors trying to post pics, I thought Imgur was ok again /shrug

edit 2 - never mind 🤤

florduh

There's a difference between diluted air from a fan in a big room volume and chronic direct inhalation deep into the lungs tho... I've seen this computer fan argument put forward many times.
That's true. I definitely don't have my face up to my computer's fan, huffing the exhaust. Same thing with my modem, routers, Alexas, TV's, microwave... and probably a dozen plus other devices with warm circuit boards exposed to the same air I'm breathing 24/7. Even though you're not directly inhaling from any of these devices, I have to imagine this starts to add up. Especially in Northern latitudes where you're not adding a whole lot of fresh air into the mix for half the year. I think that's sort of the point Marc's making.

Totally agree. Even if it's likely "safe", it's way better to avoid it if possible. Not sure if this airflow setup affects the vapor quality yet, as I'm still waiting. My understanding is, it's not as if the bulk of the airflow is hitting those circuits. It's just likely going to be in the air "mix" at some point.

Don't want to derail the thread, but what battery powered portables have electronics totally sealed? Someone mentioned the Nomad. Any with a less than a year wait?

Yeah, this is very disappointing... :(

True. But I personally was deciding between the FW7 and the TM. Given that both have exposed electronics, I don't regret my decision at all.

Vaporware

@florduh The Nomad actually gets around it by not even having electronics. :lol:

The battery is exposed to the air path, but if anything’s coming out of that you’ve got bigger problems! Otherwise the metal parts you see form the electrical circuit so there aren’t even wires or anything, let alone circuit boards.

There are a few other similar unregulated convection devices like the Milaana, Li’l Bud, etc. but I’m not sure whether or not they’re as clean. I’d guess not quite, but they should be fairly good on that front.

Anything that has the electronics as a separate piece like the FlowerPot, or in the portable world any of the 510 attachments (Splinter, Imp, Stempod, etc.) wouldn’t provide a direct line into the air path, but I can’t think of any portables with built-in electronics that I’ve looked into and found to be completely isolated.

I think at least some make that claim, and in some cases it may be true, but there are a variety of things that trouble me a bit about many vaporizers (electronics, glue, insulation, plastics, etc) and I don’t think I’ve seen one that I understand as well or that I’d personally trust as much as the Nomad in those areas. Well, VapCaps and stuff like that but they’re again a heater isolated from the heat source and don’t contain any electronics.

That’s one of the biggest reasons I’ve only actually bought a few devices (what’s in my signature) after years of reading tons of threads here. I’m not sure I’d buy the Ascent now, but it was my first vaporizer picked up from a local shop before I had started to consider some of these issues. I was already on the ceramic/glass vapor path train though!

Other than the sale and the high praise the Firewood 7’s been getting though, one of the reasons I was willing to give it a shot was that it has a clean ceramic oven and (other than the screen) glass air/vapor path.

I don’t love the bits of silicon that hold the glass together, but since they’re outside of the main flow of vapor and shouldn’t get super hot, I’m not too worried about them.

With that and the air leaking in from the electronics being the only things that give me pause, unless I’m missing something big I still think it’s one of the cleanest designs around and I’m still glad to have one on the way. :)

Whether or not it turns out to be a real health concern though, ideally I would rather not be breathing in air from the electronics compartment, so I do hope that more designers find good ways of isolating the air path moving forward. :sherlock:

Shogun.

「Stand User」
Is it ok to drop the ceramic pieces in iso?
My chamber is starting to get gunked to the point where I have to preheat the 7 to be able to slide off either wooden piece, otherwise its stuck

Shogun.,

Ripstar

My chamber is starting to get gunked to the point where I have to preheat the 7 to be able to slide off either wooden piece, otherwise its stuck
I wouldn't, but, just wet a qtip with iso and clean that way. Soaking seems excessive. The oil will stain it regardless.

Kaptan

I just got my FW7 yesterday and in my few bowls vaped, I can certainly say this is an excellent portable vape that produces potent cool vapor :science: Also, I was a little shocked how small it actually was after viewing pics on here. I have a TinyMight as well and the only change I’d like to see for future FW8 would be a temp dial, similar to the TM, instead of the finicky one button pressing to change the temp. I would even be fine if the temp dial was covered by a sliding wood piece for aesthetics. Maybe I’m late to the party and this was previously brought up?

seki

I just got my FW7 yesterday and in my few bowls vaped, I can certainly say this is an excellent portable vape that produces potent cool vapor :science: Also, I was a little shocked how small it actually was after viewing pics on here. I have a TinyMight as well and the only change I’d like to see for future FW8 would be a temp dial, similar to the TM, instead of the finicky one button pressing to change the temp. I would even be fine if the temp dial was covered by a sliding wood piece for aesthetics. Maybe I’m late to the party and this was previously brought up?
At this point I think being able to control every function with one button is sort of a defining characteristic of Firewood vapes. I'm pretty sure it's been this way for a few revisions now. I know for sure since at least the 5, maybe even before then?

Personally, I think it's pretty impressive that you can change temp to a fairly granular level, set 3 different pre-sets and toggle between them with no screen, apps or dials/sliders. That's not even mentioning ancillary functions like checking battery level, current temp and preset level among others.

But for sure it takes some getting used to :lol:. I think it suits me because once I've found preset levels I'm satisfied with, I generally don't change them, and I don't generally temp step so anything added to the vape is superfluous for my particular use case. After I went through the initial configuring and adjusting, I haven't had the need to change anything since.

Last edited:

west-elec

You can certainly remove the mouthpiece and WPA ceramic for soaking and they come up pretty clean real easy, but you can't remove the bowl or ceramic piece from the battery cover so wipe only. Be careful not to get iso behind the battery cover piece because it will wash reclaim back there where it can never be cleaned.

Shit Snacks

The bowl was removable on the FW6. Is that no longer the case? I soaked the FW6 bowl a few times with no issue.

Correct that is no longer the case, I don't know what the FW6 was like, but this is the first FW that uses a ceramic chamber oven, no? Previous firewoods used glass capsule chambers with pure convection (I think the five used the ceramic five bowl chamber though) but in the FW7 the chamber is not removable, like most conduction vapes...

Correct that is no longer the case, I don't know what the FW6 was like, but this is the first FW that uses a ceramic chamber oven, no? Previous firewoods used glass capsule chambers with pure convection (I think the five used the ceramic five bowl chamber though) but in the FW7 the chamber is not removable, like most conduction vapes...

Thanks for clarifying. The FW6 also used a ceramic bowl, only it was removable.

PossumMD

Anyone got a picture of how the cooling mouthpiece upgrade goes together? Mine arrived today and I can't seem to find instructions, although I think I have it right... And disappointingly, the new wood is a significantly lighter than the old wood, win some/lose some I guess!

PossumMD,

Vaporware

Anyone got a picture of how the cooling mouthpiece upgrade goes together? Mine arrived today and I can't seem to find instructions, although I think I have it right... And disappointingly, the new wood is a significantly lighter than the old wood, win some/lose some I guess!
Marc sent out an update to the manual earlier today. I don't think it's on the site yet, but here's a screen grab of the info. It explains what the parts are for:
fw7-xcmp.jpg

Shit Snacks

My new FW7 is here and looking great!

PXL-20201214-212917669.jpg

PXL-20201214-213013030.jpg

With my purple O'Connell dyna inception cooling stem, only had one bowl of blue flame now that tasted so amazing (nothing like a fresh pure vape!) Much more testing to do as usual... So many different stems and setups, I of course am used to the WPA, so going to try it standard for a little bit first. I'll comment more on fit and finish later too, but I love how it is fine sanded, even though my unit is unfinished without the wax oil, feels so super smooth and such a joy to hold!

Thanks again Marc @firewood!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom