• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Firewood Vaporizer

ArthurJ

So, mine came last Thursday, quite by surprise a day early. I was able to squeeze in a quick initial use and right out of the box it was easy to use, a quick 5-6 sec heatup and I roasted a load real fast. Visible vapor immediately. The heater gots hot real fast. I got the unfinished unit and over the weekend I gave it light sanding and rubbed it down with some bomb ass butter and it looks real nice.

My first vape was a firewood (a 2.1 I think) and I've had every model since. The FW 3 and 4 were much loved for the capsule system and the 5 I was a little slow to embrace but ultimately wound up enjoying very much. So I'm very excited to be on the early adopter train.

Like all firewoods the 7 is a pleasure to hold, simple in appearance with neat sliding pieces. I love the logo, a nice addition, and the little block of wood for sliding the mouthpiece out is really nice, smooth and easy to operate. The button is well placed for operating with the thumb.

My first few uses really surprised me. It heats up fast and you can really char a load in a hurry, to the point where I was afraid I might have combusted. I didn't, but I did adjust the top temp a little lower.

Usually what I've done with FW's is either temp step up, low to high, a few draws at each temp to finish a load or, hit it quick at high for an initial heat up and then go low to high. The 7 is a little different so this morning I tried something a little different.

I started at preset 1 (340) and just left it there, and went out for a walk hitting it periodically. It was really nice, I got a good 7-8 hits off it before the vapor trailed off and I stepped the temp up to step 2 for a hit.
The load still wasn't blackened, like I had been getting but when I got home I finished it off at high temp with the wpa, which is a very nice feature and easy to use. I have made the mistake of trying to connect the wpa to the wrong end, so watch out for that.
It's the first of my FWs that I'ved used with water, it's a very nice option to have.

What I've most liked about my FWs, particularly the 3 and 4 with their capsule system, is that I could use it on the go.
Go for a long walk or something and have multiple loads prepped. The 7 won't replace that. But for a shorter stroll, it's perfect.
I like it at low temps like l did this morning, you can make a bowl last or you can rip it in a hurry. Unlike earlier versions there is no draw sensor to worry about, just click and rip.

So overall, I'd say a real fine device. Powerful, versatile, efficient. A nice handcrafted piece of wood.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
What I've most liked about my FWs, particularly the 3 and 4 with their capsule system, is that I could use it on the go.
Go for a long walk or something and have multiple loads prepped. The 7 won't replace that. But for a shorter stroll, it's perfect.
I like it at low temps like l did this morning, you can make a bowl last or you can rip it in a hurry. Unlike earlier versions there is no draw sensor to worry about, just click and rip.

Well said! That's exactly my experience in regard to FW 3 & 4 ... STILL love the capsule feature, the "load as you go" capacity. The subsequent FW's just didn't deliver those features for me quite the same way, particularly the FW5, unfortunately.

But the FW 7? Yes....I agree with what someone else said about it, i.e., that it appears to be more of a session vape which presumably one can load for either micro-dosing or "let's get medicated!" sessions.

And the form factor appears to be pure "Innovation By Marc"....looking forward to having one in my semi-arthritic hands!

More videos please! :brow::brow::brow::brow::brow::brow::brow::brow::brow::brow:

Last edited:

Ae44si

Does anyone know when the firewood 7 will be available to everyone? Right now its beta only? I would love to know more about it or see a video but I cant seem to find much..

hippogriff

Well said! That's exactly my experience in regard to FW 3 & 4 ... STILL love the capsule feature, the "load as you go" capacity. The subsequent FW's just didn't deliver those features for me quite the same way, particularly the FW5, unfortunately.

But the FW 7? Yes....I agree with what someone else said about it, i.e., that it appears to be more of a session vape which presumably one can load for either micro-dosing or "let's get medicated!" sessions.

And the form factor appears to be pure "Innovation By Marc"....looking forward to having one in my semi-arthritic hands!

More videos please! :brow::brow::brow::brow::brow::brow::brow::brow::brow::brow:

Guess I'm less certain what "session" means, I associate it w vapes that have a 30-60 second warmup time and a 3-5 minute timer when you turn them on. Versus an "on-demand" vape, where you can pick it up, take a hit, and put it down for as long as you like. FW7 functions similar to previous Firewoods, you hold a button down, wait a few seconds, and draw. New to the 7 is a buzz to tell you when temp is reached, and a conduction-first design where the heating element is on the other side of the ceramic bowl. So once you get the temp buzz, you can draw with a little breath control and mix in the convection heating and treat it exactly like previous Firewoods. But now, with the bowl being an oven, you can also wait to draw while vapor builds up. The new design adds another level of control.

My Fury Edge capsules fit nicely in the 7, BUT the solid stainless steel sides make them a bad match for this vape. The Fury 2 dosing capsules, however, are very near the same size and made of steel mesh, so I imagine they would work well.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Does anyone know when the firewood 7 will be available to everyone? Right now its beta only? I would love to know more about it or see a video but I cant seem to find much..
People are just receiving beta units, so depending on how that goes will dictate when they will be available to others.
in the mean time, just read back a couple of pages (starting on page 212 is good) and you will be caught up in no time!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
People are just receiving beta units, so depending on how that goes will dictate when they will be available to others.
in the mean time, just read back a couple of pages (starting on page 212 is good) and you will be caught up in no time!

I just realized with how different this one seems, technology-wise, it might could have benefited from its own new fresh thread...?

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Jill NYC

CyanKraken

I can’t seem to grasp the right idea: is the FW7 supposed to be on-demand or session? The way it was initially described, I had thought it was a session device but the way some of y’all described it sounds somewhat on-demand.

CyanKraken,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I've been using the FW7 for a few days and I have to say I'm not entirely sure either. :) Is there such a thing as an on-demand session vape?

On the one hand, the heater is only functioning when you hold in the button, so that would make it on-demand, right?

But the 7 is definitely a hybrid in that there is both convection and conduction going on and the bowl does get very hot and stay hot for a while after the button is released. To me, that means it needs to be treated as a session vape because your herbs are getting cooked by that hot bowl during that cool down phase.

This is the reason that as a rule I usually much prefer on-demand pure convection vapes. The only reason I decided to break that rule was because it's a Firewood.

But my workaround so far is to pack the bowl only 1/2-way or less so that it's easy to kill in a few draws. And not having to stir the bowl is nice.

So once you get the temp buzz, you can draw with a little breath control and mix in the convection heating and treat it exactly like previous Firewoods. But now, with the bowl being an oven, you can also wait to draw while vapor builds up. The new design adds another level of control.

Hippogriff, I'd love to hear more about this technique. Can you describe what you mean by "drawing with breath control to mix in convection heating"?

TastyCakeWasTasty

butter your wood
On the one hand, the heater is only functioning when you hold in the button, so that would make it on-demand, right?

But the 7 is definitely a hybrid in that there is both convection and conduction going on and the bowl does get very hot and stay hot for a while after the button is released. To me, that means it needs to be treated as a session vape because your herbs are getting cooked by that hot bowl during that cool down phase.

You hold the button for a few seconds and take a hit when you like. It’s definitely on demand and the heating method doesn’t effect that IMO. A Fury Edge doesn’t become on-demand because it uses full convection and a Vapman doesn’t become a session vape because it uses conduction. Anyway it’s a moot point if the thing works well and gets us medicated :lol:.

Regarding the cool down phase, I would’ve thought continuing to draw after you let go of the button would do the job of cooling it enough to continue vaping the bowl later (don’t have mine yet, just guessing)?

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
You hold the button for a few seconds and take a hit when you like. It’s definitely on demand and the heating method doesn’t effect that IMO.

That's how I see it but others say that if the herb continues to get cooked after your draw (as it does with convection), then it's a "session vape". But the fact that the heater itself is only on when you press the button is for me the defining factor in calling it on demand.

But that continued cooking of the chamber during cooldown means that your herb is being wasted because you're not drawing and for me that means it's a session vape also because I need to finish the bowl in one sitting to avoid waste.

Which is why I call it an "On Demand Session Vape." :shrug:

Anyway it’s a moot point if the thing works well and gets us medicated :lol:.

On the one hand, absolutely!!! On the other, it's not entirely moot to me because of the wastage (of the herb, not me :lol:). It's by no means a deal breaker. I just pack smaller bowls.

Regarding the cool down phase, I would’ve thought continuing to draw after you let go of the button would do the job of cooling it enough to continue vaping the bowl later (don’t have mine yet, just guessing)?

That's what I've been doing, but that ceramic bowl stays pretty hot for a LONG time after button release. Hard to know at what point it's not hot enough to be cooking.

TastyCakeWasTasty

butter your wood
That's how I see it but others say that if the herb continues to get cooked after your draw (as it does with convection), then it's a "session vape".
I think those others might be confused around the fact most conduction vapes also happen to be session vapes (Arizer/Mighty/Pax etc) 🤷‍♂️.

When you get a chance can you try:
* Taking a normal vapour producing hit.
* Taking the next hit without holding the button.
* Taking a second hit without holding the button.

I’d expect a little vapour on the first ‘cold’ hit, but nothing on the second. Either way, that should confirm how much (if any) latent cooking is happening :tup:

hippogriff

I think those others might be confused around the fact most conduction vapes also happen to be session vapes (Arizer/Mighty/Pax etc) 🤷‍♂️.

When you get a chance can you try:
* Taking a normal vapour producing hit.
* Taking the next hit without holding the button.
* Taking a second hit without holding the button.

I’d expect a little vapour on the first ‘cold’ hit, but nothing on the second. Either way, that should confirm how much (if any) latent cooking is happening :tup:
I've got a weird schedule today, I'll do that test! Here goes, fresh bowl, temp 2 @ 330, hold till buzz then wait another 10-count, which is an aggressive start for me (on some resiny KGB that I usually coax out 5-7 hits @ 310) - big terp flavor. Wait, no-button hit, hint of flavor, no visible vapor. Wait, 2nd no-button hit, nothing, smell of walnut.

Lemme take if farther, get some heat into the vape, and repeat your test at the end... ok, low temps surfed 310 & 330 till clouds diminish, lightest brown w hint of green (and even!) ABV, switch to 350, 10-count after buzz to give conduction a head start - big draw, big cloud. Wait 15, no-button hit, no vapor, slightest hint of the end-of-bowl flavor I associate with 350. Wait 15, 2nd no-button hit, nothing. Back on the button, get a few more big clouds.

Suggests latent cooking is minimal. BUT I'm a low-temp guy, be curious to hear what someone w a different usage gets from the same test.

On the conduction=session question, I'd say Firewood 7 is an on-demand, hybrid conduction/convection vape. Definitely not a standard on-demand style, with a heater on one end of a tube and your draw brings the heat to the bowl. Now the button controls when you're roasting at temp, and your draw adds convection-style air to the mix (and something is going on w the convection air entering at the top of the bowl). You can draw immediately on the reached-temp buzz and it behaves just like other Firewoods (or Splinters, etc). Or you can hold the button down and wait while vapor builds up.

I'm finding this is a significant new feature. Being able to just hold the button down and wait allows you to build up a big wave of vapor, and then you can use draw speed to ride out a really big extraction. This design has really even extraction, it's also really good at re-extracting from completely cold. And the hybrid style seems better at extracting at the end of a battery, as it can use the last of the juice to build up more heat in the bowl. Must help that it's a convection-style heating element, too.

CyanKraken

But that continued cooking of the chamber during cooldown means that your herb is being wasted because you're not drawing and for me that means it's a session vape also because I need to finish the bowl in one sitting to avoid waste.

Which is why I call it an "On Demand Session Vape." :shrug:

I got called out and downvoted on r/vaporents hard because I called the Boundless Tera an “On Demand Session Vape”. I agree with your thinking there.

CyanKraken,
Reactions: moondog

Jimmer144

Sargeant REG
When is the FW7 gonna be available to purchase for non-beta testers? I'm very excited to see this new Firewood in action, just looking at it initially it looks more visually appealing and comfortable in the hand then the FW5 or 6. This one looks to be a winner but i guess i won't know for sure until i have the chance try it out myself. I must say i have been very pleased with the FW5, as the only Firewood ive ever tried, i think it is a perfect vape for going about my day and microdosing when needed. I like the bowl system in the 5, and i love how much material it saves being that its true convection. Anyways the Firewood vape signature to me is amazing, if the hybrid conduction of the FW7 adds a lil edge to the vape signature i will be more than pleased.

VapingSomeStink

Just bought a Firewood 5 off a very helpful FCer (you know who you are :D ).

As I sit here refreshing the USPS tracking I've also been reading through the past 100+ pages in this thread. Very helpful, and it's really cool to see the progression this series of Vapes has had. I love the idea of a hand made artisan vape that seems to fit my golf course and bar needs :clap:

Don't even have my F5 yet (should come Monday) and I'm already wondering when I can grab a 7!

Currently rocking a Mighty and Dynavap M with Caldron IH setup, this will round out my set for sure

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
Ok I just received this, the week-end just got a lot more interesting:

20200821_125549.jpg

I'll write more after I spend a little bit of time with both of these beauties, also photos, I won't forget to post the photos this time. :rolleyes:
Lots of testing to do for the next couple of days. Not that I complain or anything. :D:science:

rvarick

For those that have received a 7 already, is the WPA piece included? I see a couple folks have the WPA with their 7 and I wasn’t sure if it was purchased separately. Thanks.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Ok I just received this, the week-end just got a lot more interesting:

View attachment 1975

I'll write more after I spend a little bit of time with both of these beauties, also photos, I won't forget to post the photos this time. :rolleyes:
Lots of testing to do for the next couple of days. Not that I complain or anything. :D:science:

You shelled out for two?! Noice, dude

For those that have received a 7 already, is the WPA piece included? I see a couple folks have the WPA with their 7 and I wasn’t sure if it was purchased separately. Thanks.

The WPA is included for the beta testers buying, but I think it will be sold separately in the future...

I have been testing since Wednesday and have quite a few thoughts, I think I'm going to email Marc before I post more here though...

I will say this, pretty fucking cool to use an on demand conduction hybrid block of wood!!

The Chemist

You shelled out for two?! Noice, dude

The WPA is included for the beta testers buying, but I think it will be sold separately in the future...

I have been testing since Wednesday and have quite a few thoughts, I think I'm going to email Marc before I post more here though...

I will say this, pretty fucking cool to use an on demand conduction hybrid block of wood!!
Nice guess but wrong answer, one is the new Firewood 7 and the other one is a Firewood 6. I ordered the 6 when I learned that the 7 was coming soon. Since the older models aren't available when a new one is released I didn't want to take a chance and bought one, turns out it was the last one, but the story is a little more complicated than that. This unit was a return that someone had purchased but decided to change for the new model when it was announced, from what I understand this unit was still brand new, unused and should have been on the way back to Mark. I agreed to wait until he got the unit and check everything was good before he send it to me. In the end that person decided to keep the Firewood 6 so Mark offered me two option: I could trade for a Firewood 7 or he could make me a new Firewood 6. My reply was: why not both? :brow: So this is the story and the reason why I have two boxes. I'm playing with the Firewood 7 for the next couple of days to get to know it better and give my impression to Mark and later I'll get to the Firewood 6. I'll give my thoughts on it later since the 6 is old news and people want to know about the 7 but I can't wait to try it out. Did I told you that this Firewood 6 isn't in walnut? Well not all of it... you will have to wait for the photos... again! :evil:

The WPA is already on the site but I don't know if people other than the beta testers can see it. It's in the accessories for 35$ unfinished and 45$ finished. Don't know if the prices will change but it's on the site right now. Also the glass mouth piece seems to be the same for the Firewood 6 and 7.

CyanKraken

Nice guess but wrong answer, one is the new Firewood 7 and the other one is a Firewood 6. I ordered the 6 when I learned that the 7 was coming soon. Since the older models aren't available when a new one is released I didn't want to take a chance and bought one, turns out it was the last one, but the story is a little more complicated than that. This unit was a return that someone had purchased but decided to change for the new model when it was announced, from what I understand this unit was still brand new, unused and should have been on the way back to Mark. I agreed to wait until he got the unit and check everything was good before he send it to me. In the end that person decided to keep the Firewood 6 so Mark offered me two option: I could trade for a Firewood 7 or he could make me a new Firewood 6. My reply was: why not both? :brow: So this is the story and the reason why I have two boxes. I'm playing with the Firewood 7 for the next couple of days to get to know it better and give my impression to Mark and later I'll get to the Firewood 6. I'll give my thoughts on it later since the 6 is old news and people want to know about the 7 but I can't wait to try it out. Did I told you that this Firewood 6 isn't in walnut? Well not all of it... you will have to wait for the photos... again! :evil:

Damn, sounds like special treatment! :brow:

The WPA is already on the site but I don't know if people other than the beta testers can see it. It's in the accessories for 35$ unfinished and 45$ finished. Don't know if the prices will change but it's on the site right now. Also the glass mouth piece seems to be the same for the Firewood 6 and 7.
I was able to snag an FW7 today before the first batch sold out but I can confirm the WPA is only available for beta testers.

The Chemist

It's more like an example of Mark excellent costumer service. He made a little mistake by putting the Firewood 6 for sale in the store before he got the unit back and felt bad that he could not deliver when the other guy decided to keep it. So he offered me to build a new unit when he could have simply canceled the transaction or just change for the new unit. I really wanted the 6, in fact I went on the site before and I saw that the 6 was sold out and came back a couple of days later to see it in stock so I jumped on it, I knew it was the last one because later that day I went back again and it was sold out. The guy was I the middle of releasing a new vape and took the time to make me a new one to make sure I was happy, that's what I call an amazing costumer service and I plan on doing business with him for a long time. He also took a chance by sending me a beta unit so I'm more than grateful.

I just tried the Firewood 7 for the first time and so far it's really nice. I can't really comment on the vapor because the tung oil used on the finish is over powering the taste of the vapor but that's gonna go away pretty quickly, I don't dislike the taste it's different. I can tell I'm gonna love that vape.

Top Bottom