Firewood Vaporizer

ezpz

Battery recommendations. I need to get some fresh batteries. Has anyone test a few different types with the FW7. What's the longest lasting battery? Molicel P26? Sony VTC5A? Firewood recommends the Samsung 20S, but as a 20mah battery wouldn't it run out of juice quicker than the 2600 mah Sony VTC5A?
I rotate between Lghg2 and Molicel P26a. Both work great. Molicel was extremely tight fitting in both my fw7s when they were new, but fit fine in either now. Lghg2 lasts longer, but Molicel will get my avb darker faster (more milk, less hits), so I do favor Molicel.

oldbay

Managed to score one secondhand. This thing is incredible. Dead simple to get good hits from, with tons of cooling.

The tap-buzz interface is surprisingly intuitive and every action gives you feedback buzzes for input confirmation. The button is a little small and doesn't always give a good tactile click -- it's really not bad, but the occasional incorrect input (or dropped input) can happen -- so the confirmation buzzes are extremely useful for ensuring your inputs were read correctly.

The vape is all-around excellent at its job, but I didn't see too much discussion of this interface so I wanted to call it out. It's really well thought out, and enables all of the control and configuration necessary for this device using a single button and no screens or LEDs! I thought temp configuration would be a bit of a chore, which would be a reasonable compromise for sleek design, but it's actually really simple.

Some unsolicited, early usage feedback on what could be improved:

- I really dig the simplicity of the sliding mouthpiece, but I wish it was slightly less slippery. This is absolutely a nitpick, but it really wants to slide back into the body during use.

- as mentioned, the button could be a little easier to operate. This is really another nitpick. I'm not worried about it being triggered in my pocket, and the feedback provided by the interface will give you immediate feedback if you mis-click.

- I'd really love some kind of silicone dust cover or something to cover the top face. This vape is pocketable and I'm a bit anal about dust/lint/etc finding its way into my mouthpieces. Bonus points if it covers the button, though the benefit there is mostly psychological.

- When temp stepping + sharing with someone unfamiliar with this device, being able to set the current preset without beginning a heating cycle could be useful. Pack a fresh bowl, drop to preset 1, and hand to a friend to get the first flavor hit. This feature might not be worth complicating the current interface though, and interrupting the heating cycle is probably fine instead.

- related to the above: perhaps I haven't experimented enough, but does anyone know if you can stop+start heating in the same cycle? Like start heating, release the button, then hit the button again before the cool down buzz. There's no practical need for this, I think I'm just trying to understand how the unit handles inputs that occur during a heating cycle.

Anyway, I got a WPA with it that I'll probably try eventually, but I don't feel like I need to any time soon. I don't own any glass currently. Have an OCWW inception j-hook sitting in my cart. Has anyone tried that one?

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
I really dig the simplicity of the sliding mouthpiece, but I wish it was slightly less slippery. This is absolutely a nitpick, but it really wants to slide back into the body during use.
You can add a felt pad
does anyone know if you can stop+start heating in the same cycle? Like start heating, release the button, then hit the button again before the cool down buzz.
yes you can

ezpz

Great post @oldbay. 👍
I also love the sleek look of the Fw7. And IMO, the upgrades that I can think of, would change the look of the vape enough for it to become a negative. For example, I don't like that there is no on/off switch. But I dislike the 5 clicks on/off switch because that can be difficult also. And a simple on/off slide switch changes the look a little.
I also want a bigger button, but that may make it easier to fire in a pocket.
I also like to use different stems, with different OD. An o-ring system (like the TM has) could allow for better resistance with stems of different ODs. But that may drastically change the sleekness of the vape.
So basically, I just spent all this time typing, just to say, I wouldn't change a thing. 😁

Edit: I have a few o-ring hacks to accommodate the different stems.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Managed to score one secondhand. This thing is incredible. Dead simple to get good hits from, with tons of cooling.

The tap-buzz interface is surprisingly intuitive and every action gives you feedback buzzes for input confirmation. The button is a little small and doesn't always give a good tactile click -- it's really not bad, but the occasional incorrect input (or dropped input) can happen -- so the confirmation buzzes are extremely useful for ensuring your inputs were read correctly.

The vape is all-around excellent at its job, but I didn't see too much discussion of this interface so I wanted to call it out. It's really well thought out, and enables all of the control and configuration necessary for this device using a single button and no screens or LEDs! I thought temp configuration would be a bit of a chore, which would be a reasonable compromise for sleek design, but it's actually really simple.

Some unsolicited, early usage feedback on what could be improved:

- I really dig the simplicity of the sliding mouthpiece, but I wish it was slightly less slippery. This is absolutely a nitpick, but it really wants to slide back into the body during use.

- as mentioned, the button could be a little easier to operate. This is really another nitpick. I'm not worried about it being triggered in my pocket, and the feedback provided by the interface will give you immediate feedback if you mis-click.

- I'd really love some kind of silicone dust cover or something to cover the top face. This vape is pocketable and I'm a bit anal about dust/lint/etc finding its way into my mouthpieces. Bonus points if it covers the button, though the benefit there is mostly psychological.

- When temp stepping + sharing with someone unfamiliar with this device, being able to set the current preset without beginning a heating cycle could be useful. Pack a fresh bowl, drop to preset 1, and hand to a friend to get the first flavor hit. This feature might not be worth complicating the current interface though, and interrupting the heating cycle is probably fine instead.

- related to the above: perhaps I haven't experimented enough, but does anyone know if you can stop+start heating in the same cycle? Like start heating, release the button, then hit the button again before the cool down buzz. There's no practical need for this, I think I'm just trying to understand how the unit handles inputs that occur during a heating cycle.

Anyway, I got a WPA with it that I'll probably try eventually, but I don't feel like I need to any time soon. I don't own any glass currently. Have an OCWW inception j-hook sitting in my cart. Has anyone tried that one?

Very nice write up! And welcome to FC btw!

Yeah many people in here grabbed the inception hook, when they were on sale recently, also the inception stems... I recommend grabbing a glass piece from Oregon glass blower, if you skim through here you will see a few of the different options, FW7 through a hook is pretty fantastic! I love watching the vapor flow.

Oh and the rogue wax works sells cheap basic hooks, 18 and 14 mm female size

Vaporware

I think an o-ring or two could work well for holding the stem, and if there was an official stem size it wouldn’t be a problem for most users. The ones who really want to use stems with different ODs (outer diameters) could still find different o-rings.

I would also like to be able to turn it off completely, but I do keep it in my pocket a lot and I don’t think it’s ever turned on in there. The button is small and basically level with the surface so it would have to be pressed and held pretty directly to fire in your pocket.

I could see it happening in a bag with a bunch of small stuff though, so if you’re packing it in a backpack with small things that could rest against the button I would definitely take the battery out first.

@oldbay The inception j-hook is nice! After an early review talked about imperfections and rattling pieces I was expecting okay-but-not-great quality, but while it is still a handmade piece with minor imperfections I’d say it’s quality and well worth checking out. :)

I don’t have other dimpled j-hooks to compare it too, but I do think it cools better than my standard Grav hooks and it’s smaller and more durable. :)

Also, I meant to respond to this a while ago:

Is the inception stem used on the firewood 7 just not for me? Or maybe I’m doing something wrong? I just received my inception stem and personally, I’m not crazy about it. I find it way harder to draw and produce the same vapor that I get on 360F with the stock stem. With the stock stem I can get some super tasty vapor at 360F where as with the inception stem the vapor is almost non existent.

This is not a problem with the inception j-hook, but I got an inception stem too and when I tried it in the FW7 the small connector stem with the silicon sleeve and o-ring was pressed right up against the inner tube so the draw was more restricted.

That wouldn’t explain the lack of vapor unless something in there was sealing yours off even more, but that is probably at least why it was such a hard draw. If you carefully position it you could get it working (although it may just slide back down), but I’m just not sure that it’s the best fit for a FW7.

Shit Snacks

I think an o-ring or two could work well for holding the stem, and if there was an official stem size it wouldn’t be a problem for most users. The ones who really want to use stems with different ODs (outer diameters) could still find different o-rings.

I would also like to be able to turn it off completely, but I do keep it in my pocket a lot and I don’t think it’s ever turned on in there. The button is small and basically level with the surface so it would have to be pressed and held pretty directly to fire in your pocket.

I could see it happening in a bag with a bunch of small stuff though, so if you’re packing it in a backpack with small things that could rest against the button I would definitely take the battery out first.

@oldbay The inception j-hook is nice! After an early review talked about imperfections and rattling pieces I was expecting okay-but-not-great quality, but while it is still a handmade piece with minor imperfections I’d say it’s quality and well worth checking out. :)

I don’t have other dimpled j-hooks to compare it too, but I do think it cools better than my standard Grav hooks and it’s smaller and more durable. :)

Also, I meant to respond to this a while ago:

This is not a problem with the inception j-hook, but I got an inception stem too and when I tried it in the FW7 the small connector stem with the silicon sleeve and o-ring was pressed right up against the inner tube so the draw was more restricted.

That wouldn’t explain the lack of vapor unless something in there was sealing yours off even more, but that is probably at least why it was such a hard draw. If you carefully position it you could get it working (although it may just slide back down), but I’m just not sure that it’s the best fit for a FW7.

I think only the early inception stems had the rattling center spiked stem, that is the V1 I have, I noticed during the sale that the inception stems were now V2, with that inner spike stem fused steady, which is how it is in my early V1 inception hook as well... At least I didn't see any reviews here talking about rattling in the inception hook? I think it is pretty high quality, although in mine not all 14 mm male joints fit, because the way the joint was attached there is a little lip behind it so if the joint is too long they don't seal properly in mine unfortunately also I have not even tried mine with FW7 because I have not dug out my 14 to 14 adapter and I'm not sure if it will even fit, so far only two do)

Vaporware

I think only the early inception stems had the rattling center spiked stem, that is the V1 I have, I noticed during the sale that the inception stems were now V2, with that inner spike stem fused steady, which is how it is in my early V1 inception hook as well... At least I didn't see any reviews here talking about rattling in the inception hook? I think it is pretty high quality, although in mine not all 14 mm male joints fit, because the way the joint was attached there is a little lip behind it so if the joint is too long they don't seal properly in mine unfortunately also I have not even tried mine with FW7 because I have not dug out my 14 to 14 adapter and I'm not sure if it will even fit, so far only two do)

Yeah, it was just one person who mentioned it rattling I think? No rattling or any problems with mine! :)

Shit Snacks

Yeah, it was just one person who mentioned it rattling I think? No rattling or any problems with mine! :)

Yeah so it sounds like that person just got a defective one, is all... O'Connell would replace it very quickly, so I hope that person told him! My original inception stem had arrived broken and he shipped out a replacement immediately, great dude!

oldbay

Just passing along this email from Marc I got this morning (I had previously inquired about a waiting list):

FYI, I will start restocking on Sunday evenings at 9pm EST. I'll start this Sunday (June 6) and will try to post regularly each Sunday except for June 27. I anticipate that they will sell out fast since these will be limited batch sizes and demand is high,

Thanks,
Marc

Vaporware

I got an inception stem and hook during the sale. No rattling at all, it's stuck in there. The draw on the stem is lightly tighter than the stock stem for me but much cooler. The hook is wide open draw and super cool vapor.

Just in case I wasn’t clear enough before, I was a little concerned about quality control before ordering because of that early report of rattling and a couple of imperfect wood pieces that went out back then.

Everything I got from OCWW is solid and I don’t have any concerns about the quality of his stuff anymore. Even if something questionable did slip by, I believe he’d stand behind his work. :)

I guess in trying to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality work I accidentally made some people question the quality…bad way to approach the subject. Sorry about that! :ugh:

To summarize my feelings about the inception stuff for use with the FW7:

1. The inception j-hook is very good with a 14mm male adapter on the FW7*. I’d easily choose it over my basic j-hooks.

2. The straight inception stems may not get full airflow when used with the FW7 since the stem adapter piece can touch the inner tube in the inception stem and block airflow around the outside, so unless mine is an anomaly I don’t think they’re the best choice here.

* It would be even better with the FW7 if it had a male joint.

Duba

Accessory Maker
After few days testing the beast, i'm impressed : it works really great, it heats fast, taste is good, it's small in hand and pocket.
It fits perfectly in my old leather tobacco pouch, which protects it from being dropped and triggered!

Otherwise, when the battery level indicator vibrates 1x, do you still use it for a bowl?
And how many bowls do you do with one (new) battery charge?
I use it at 390°F without going up or down. I make 4 bowls and the indicator vibrates 1x. Can I still make a 5th without damaging the battery?:hmm:

On mine, bought second hand, the ceramic part where the mouthpiece is placed is not fixed and can be easily removed, is this normal? (it rests on 4 small silicone feet)
Thanks for helpling!😊

Shit Snacks

Just in case I wasn’t clear enough before, I was a little concerned about quality control before ordering because of that early report of rattling and a couple of imperfect wood pieces that went out back then.

Everything I got from OCWW is solid and I don’t have any concerns about the quality of his stuff anymore. Even if something questionable did slip by, I believe he’d stand behind his work. :)

I guess in trying to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality work I accidentally made some people question the quality…bad way to approach the subject. Sorry about that! :ugh:

To summarize my feelings about the inception stuff for use with the FW7:

1. The inception j-hook is very good with a 14mm male adapter on the FW7*. I’d easily choose it over my basic j-hooks.

2. The straight inception stems may not get full airflow when used with the FW7 since the stem adapter piece can touch the inner tube in the inception stem and block airflow around the outside, so unless mine is an anomaly I don’t think they’re the best choice here.

* It would be even better with the FW7 if it had a male joint.

Hm that issue with the inception stem airflow, connecting, does not exist with the V1 stems at least... Damn shame if that is a consistent issue with the V2 stems!

Otherwise, when the battery level indicator vibrates 1x, do you still use it for a bowl?
And how many bowls do you do with one (new) battery charge?
I use it at 390°F without going up or down. I make 4 bowls and the indicator vibrates 1x. Can I still make a 5th without damaging the battery?:hmm:

No damage to the battery, you can use it until it gives the constant vibration notification that the battery needs to be charged again... That happens to me sometimes, but yeah I typically do remove it at one vibration and it is ready for charging (voltage level around 3.7-3.5 at that time) You may be able to finish a bowl with only one vibration, but you also may get stuck with it not fully extracted by the time your battery runs out... I do think four to five bowls is a reasonable estimation for the battery life here, depending on the battery, that's with my not-new Sony Murata VTC6.

On mine, bought second hand, the ceramic part where the mouthpiece is placed is not fixed and can be easily removed, is this normal? (it rests on 4 small silicone feet)
Thanks for helpling!😊

Yes that is normal! I don't think my original beta had that design, but my second one does, you can easily remove that ceramic piece for deep cleaning now, very nice!

oldbay

Does anyone have both a noisy cricket and a FW7? The idea struck me when I was browsing the OCWW site that perhaps the noisy cricket WPA could be a lower-profile option than the standard 14♂️:14♂️ adapter, and the o-ring would keep it attached to the firewood WPA. I have no idea how to tell if it would fit though. Wondering if anyone's tried it.

Shit Snacks

What's your method for this kind of deep cleaning? This is my first ceramic vape!

Oh I never actually have done any deep cleaning myself, I don't remove that piece, I just use organic cotton bamboo qtip to swab with 99% iso alcohol, scrub the oil from the ceramic parts, drying with clean end, until satisfactory... Also do some dry runs heating afterwards with the ceramic chamber to burn off any residue from the alcohol. Pretty simple really!

Does anyone have both a noisy cricket and a FW7? The idea struck me when I was browsing the OCWW site that perhaps the noisy cricket WPA could be a lower-profile option than the standard 14♂️:14♂️ adapter, and the o-ring would keep it attached to the firewood WPA. I have no idea how to tell if it would fit though. Wondering if anyone's tried it.

Some other people have used o-rings instead of the male adapter connection into the FW7, no idea if that specific adapter and o-ring would fit though... I've been contemplating grabbing one of the JetDryV Sax hook mouthpieces to try with FW7, if it could be connected with the no ring, because they do not have 14 mm joints unfortunately (hoping they will at some point though maybe)

djelibebbi

AKA djelimon, but lost the email
K, so as it turns out I will have 4 new 8650s coming in, for no real reason. Just had to RTFM, carefully.

Got my setting 1 dialed in, good to go.

On demand and on the go I like the glass mouthpiece it came with, jhook is a little awkward

Very nice hits, very flavourful, and a quick extract, no char.

Aftermarket I'll hunt for some sort of shield for the battery chamber so I don't sweat dumping weed crumbs in there.

Vaporware

Hm that issue with the inception stem airflow, connecting, does not exist with the V1 stems at least... Damn shame if that is a consistent issue with the V2 stems!

You’re right, I only know for sure that mine easily touches the adapter to the inner tube of the inception stem. It looks normal and well made to me so I assumed they would all have that issue, but if yours stays open maybe I should give it another try.

It definitely did touch and I could feel the restricted draw. Since it’s a bit heavy and it sticks out I didn’t think it would stay in a position where it was open, but this is a new stem so maybe with a little residue buildup it would stick in a place that works?

If you push yours in does it seal off the outer portion of the stem? Maybe the length or diameter of the inner stem has changed? :shrug:

I don’t want to keep anyone from trying this combination and I think it would work well if the inner tube or adapter was shorter, but assuming mine is normal I wouldn’t buy one just to try on a FW7. Relying on the stem being dirty/sticky to keep the airflow open enough doesn’t sound appealing to me, especially with the stem always sticking out so it could be pushed together in my pocket when not in use.

If you’re just using it at home though, it may be a more stable setup. :)

ezpz

Aftermarket I'll hunt for some sort of shield for the battery chamber so I don't sweat dumping weed crumbs in there.
It's been mentioned here before, but the large scoop and tamp from theroguewaxworks is the perfect tool for loading. But he's moving from etsy and has his own website now.

Top Bottom