Firewood Vaporizer

2hrs

I've been using it with some pretty much brand new LG HG2's, they are rated 20A CC, fw5 benefits that much from a 30A CC battery?

cuticle pusher! good idea. I'm gonna have to try that. and now gonna stash a toothpick too :)

regarding still actives in material if it doesn't fall out, that's what I'm saying when I feel like i don't get extraction. but then again I start at level 3 default and then will bump up to level 4 stirring etc. so maybe I need to go higher temps and push it.

I haven't jacked it up to 5 or altered the default levels yet, but that's why I was trying to understand the temp settings because I can probably get to where I want to be with some fine tuning and this can probably become my go to.

what batteries did you use that are 30A CC or max?

edit: quick searching around seems like only the sony vtc have up to 30A CC?

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I'm curious what you guys are using (or think you are using) for 30A cells. AFAIK there are very few 30A cells on the market and they all have very low capacity.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Ah ok, this is what I assumed you'd say... Unfortunately it's not a 30A cell by any mean. All 3000mAh cells are around 18A CDR, not even really 20A. Those really above 3000mAh are way less.

Orbtronic is not a manufacturer, they just rewrap cells from other brands. Given the specs, I suspect this one is a rewrapped Sony VTC6. Not a bad cell by any mean but clearly not 30A CDR. The hint is that they say 30A CDR under temperature watch with 80°C cutoff, which is precisely the weird way Sony has been specifying their cells lately (i.e. grossly over-rated)

The problem with rewraps is that 1) you're paying more than the originals and 2) you have no warranty they are not getting B-grade batches. So to be safe stick to the 3 major manufacturers only (Sony, LG, Samsung)

Also keep in mind any new cell will feel fantastic compared to a 6+ months old cell, as they are only rated for 300 to 500 cycles and they lose capacity and punch pretty fast.

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
@2hrs and @KeroZen the cells I'm using are the blue samsung 20s: they are only 2000mah and 30a.

I know about the re-wrap game, I think you popped my bubble on some MXJO 30a's I was using on the milaana...iirc.

I only shop with imr batteries now...I believe the defining moment is when I had a battery nite core battery charger from amazon melt overnight :lol:

@2hrs not sure how you hit it, but I also like to rest as little as possible between draws to build the heat

WakeAndVape,
Reactions: KeroZen

Brewervapesalot

Also keep in mind any new cell will feel fantastic compared to a 6+ months old cell, as they are only rated for 300 to 500 cycles and they lose capacity and punch pretty fast.

How long do new batteries last before ever charged? I've been rotating batteries, but if they only last a few hundred charges, then I figure I should just use a couple at a time until they stop performing?

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@WakeAndVape: ha you did your homework mate! That Samsung 20S cell is quite something indeed! And I'll sound incoherent probably, but I bought two rewraps of them before they hit the market, as for some reason the rewraps were available before the originals and they had great reviews (Vapcell Black 38A, you see again grossly over-rated but apparently a 20S under the hood, and yes I paid more than the original in the end... impatient early bird style!)

Worth testing for our applications is also the new Samsung 24S which has more capacity at the cost of a lower discharge rate.

@Brewervapesalot: they don't fail completely past the 500 cycles mark. Often the rating is for a loss of 20% capacity past that point (i.e. you only get 80% of the original capacity) On top of that the internal resistance rises over time, so the cell will sag more under load. With regulated devices it means you'll get the "weak battery" message earlier (ex: in box mods) and with unregulated ones power will be lower (devices feels pushy / anemic)

I think your question was how long you can store them before they degrade? The degradation rate is pretty low usually, as long as you prevent their voltage from dropping dangerously low (it's recommended to charge them to 3.7 - 3.8V for long term storage and check yearly that the voltage doesn't drop. When it gets below 3.6V I top them back up to 3.85V to be safe) There is some aging happening though, I read some figures but I don't remember exactly, maybe a couple capacity percentage points per year or the like.

ArthurJ

My FW5 slipped out of my hand last week and the tray cracked.
I ordered a replacement tray which arrived Friday so I'm back in business.

Brewervapesalot

Wonder if there is a inert epoxy up to vape temps that would repair?

I bought a few trays. Easy to fill several ar the same time. Then just replace and use instantly.

Sativapo

I got my Firewood 5 on Saturday. I really love this device. It hits hard like a Splinter or other high-powered ondemand device. I've been finding that Samsung 25R and 30Q batteries give bigger clouds and are hotter compared to my LG HG2 batteries.
When you say it hits hard is it through all the temp range ? Because I'm getting 3-4 nice hits but can't manage to get dark ABV while still having visible vapor. To those of you who have it, is this normal if I am really far from combustion with the max temp boosted to +1 ? I don't want to combust off course but I like taking it to the limit...

Edit : Ok Mark answered me it's not normal. I am going to do some fiddling and if nothing changes, send it back for calibration.

Last edited:

2hrs

When you say it hits hard is it through all the temp range ? Because I'm getting 3-4 nice hits but can't manage to get dark ABV while still having visible vapor. To those of you who have it, is this normal if I am really far from combustion with the max temp boosted to +1 ? I don't want to combust off course but I like taking it to the limit...

Edit : Ok Mark answered me it's not normal. I am going to do some fiddling and if nothing changes, send it back for calibration.

can you describe what your'e doing. I'm suspicious I might be having the same issue. if you look at my post a page back i was saying i feel like i'm not fully extracting. like I'd get spent bowls on fw5, dumped thm out and stuck them in my swift pro and get another sesh out and I'm like dang, there's a lot left on the table from the fw5.

I haven't finished my temp experimenting. but i'm intersted to hear what exactly you were doing and what marc said was the issue.

Sativapo

Well doing nothing special. I just like to fully extract and I am far from beeing able to do it with the device set at max temp boosted to +1. I asked Marc if it's normal and he said no : if I am sure it's not a seal issue it can be a calibration issue but it's rare. So I have to do a bit of testing before I am sure it's that and send it back. Hope my 5c likes flying over the atlantic.
When I saw your post one page before I thought oops maybe it's meant to be that way : A device for health freaks that want to stay pretty far from combustion. The viedo review from the guy from 420 with the leather newsboy cap gave me the same impression. The abv he presented as spent was very light and I thought what a waste there's some thc left there and a ton of cbd. I think I saw in this thread that some people combusted with it, is that right? For me it seems pretty impossible with the heat I get.

wall

Well doing nothing special. I just like to fully extract and I am far from beeing able to do it with the device set at max temp boosted to +1. I asked Marc if it's normal and he said no : if I am sure it's not a seal issue it can be a calibration issue but it's rare. So I have to do a bit of testing before I am sure it's that and send it back. Hope my 5c likes flying over the atlantic.
When I saw your post one page before I thought oops maybe it's meant to be that way : A device for health freaks that want to stay pretty far from combustion. The viedo review from the guy from 420 with the leather newsboy cap gave me the same impression. The abv he presented as spent was very light and I thought what a waste there's some thc left there and a ton of cbd. I think I saw in this thread that some people combusted with it, is that right? For me it seems pretty impossible with the heat I get.
Mine is pretty light but I like it that way, are you doing slow draws out of curiosity? Are you packing full bowls?

wall,
Reactions: Sativapo

Sativapo

I've tried all types of draws from almost non existant to strong. When you say you like it light you mean aesthetically :lol:, is it about your health or you don't want to get too medicated or save for edibles ? I've tried all types of packing and grind except very fine. I still wonder if I have a sealing issue because the card holds with the test but I have to help it a bit in the beginning. I also don't get any buzzing except if I draw like a madman. I got to be sure I can't solve the problem myself before sending it back.

Last edited:

wall

I've tried all types of draws from almost non existant to strong. When you say you like it light you mean aesthetically :lol:, is it about your health or you don't want to get too medicated or save for edibles ? I've tried all types of packing and grind except very fine. I still wonder if I have a sealing issue because the card holds with the test but I have to help it a bit in the beginning. I also don't get any buzzing except if I draw like a madman. I got to be sure I can't solve the problem myself before sending it back.
Ha ha I actually don’t get the buzz when pulling to hard either, oh and what battery are you using? I just like flaves so when the flavor is bad I say I’m done. Also my mind has a love hate relationship with thc so when I do that I try and keep it light

Sativapo

Ha ha I actually don’t get the buzz when pulling to hard either, oh and what battery are you using? I just like flaves so when the flavor is bad I say I’m done. Also my mind has a love hate relationship with thc so when I do that I try and keep it light
I'm using Samsung 25 R and LG HG2. flavorwise I don't like burned weed anymore but I like it vapor cooked (first draws) and roasted (last draws) to make a cooking analogy.

Brewervapesalot

Adjust the temp up higher. Make sure the screens and unit is clean. Just replace the silicone seals. Cheap on Amazon or through mark.

If you still get poor results, then there is an issue, IME.

Brewervapesalot,
Reactions: Sativapo

Sativapo

Yeah when I got mine it was set high (used) so I got some charring. Don’t know why you wouldn’t be able to
That's what I was counting on, to be able to combust a bit at max temp of max temp, inhaling very slowly for a long time. Just to stay a tad under that for my last draw.
I got better results though : I disassembled and reassembled everything, changed the o-rings and mouthpiece silicone tube, and packed more and more grinded material to restrict the arflow as Marc suggested. The aiflow restriction definitely helps get hotter. I've used different batteries also. Strangely the battery that worked the best was a an old 25 R that doesn't last long.
I am not having consistent results yet except this one time I had my ABV kind of dark, it's still a bit on the weak side but more "normally" weak than before. I didn't have any charring even if I tried to draw as long and slow I could. .
I will maybe try a new battery and wait for a my new grinder (I lost the old one and I'm grinding with litlle scisors) before deciding that the temp needs calibration.
Adjust the temp up higher. Make sure the screens and unit is clean. Just replace the silicone seals. Cheap on Amazon or through mark. If you still get poor results, then there is an issue, IME.

I am at max temp ajusted to +1 that's why I think it's not dark enough.

With all that testing I got completely baked, so it definetely works to an extent :leaf:As gmy scientific methodology drops very fast now, I will continue my research on this issue tomorrow. :zzz:

wall

That's what I was counting on, to be able to combust a bit at max temp of max temp, inhaling very slowly for a long time. Just to stay a tad under that for my last draw.
I got better results though : I disassembled and reassembled everything, changed the o-rings and mouthpiece silicone tube, and packed more and more grinded material to restrict the arflow as Marc suggested. The aiflow restriction definitely helps get hotter. I've used different batteries also. Strangely the battery that worked the best was a an old 25 R that doesn't last long.
I am not having consistent results yet except this one time I had my ABV kind of dark, it's still a bit on the weak side but more "normally" weak than before. I didn't have any charring even if I tried to draw as long and slow I could. .
I will maybe try a new battery and wait for a my new grinder (I lost the old one and I'm grinding with litlle scisors) before deciding that the temp needs calibration.

I am at max temp ajusted to +1 that's why I think it's not dark enough.

With all that testing I got completely baked, so it definetely works to an extent :leaf:As gmy scientific methodology drops very fast now, I will continue my research on this issue tomorrow. :zzz:
Yeah I would send it back to at least have him look it over

Top Bottom