Fake News

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Not particularly, as I say the actual illness symptoms were very mild, the best I can describe them as is like mild flu, or perhaps a hangover, the effect on taste was similar to having a cold, so at the time I literally thought nothing of it.

I didn't even think that much of the long-covid symptoms until later on, I just thought wtf is wrong with me, this is weird... I was annoyed that I seemed to have slipped back in my training and wasn't doing so well, thinking things like why am I not doing better, why am I so tired all the time, etc... it wasn't until much later when the news of long-covid started to appear that I went oh my god... that matches my symptoms exactly!!

Oh and yes, thank you, doing good now. The tinnitus comes and goes, it feels like it is getting less, but some days it still rages. To anyone else who is suffering from long-covid, don't give up, theres are ways to fight it and recovery is totally possible :tup:

Last edited:

howie105

As a political agnostic and a horse user, I am distressed about charges that the mounted border guards were whipping people. I found it disturbing, enough to search the web for additional photos and reports, and none of them seem to support the claims. Not saying there aren't problems with policy, just that this particular incident seems to be wonky.

florduh

As a political agnostic and a horse user, I am distressed about charges that the mounted border guards were whipping people. I found it disturbing, enough to search the web for additional photos and reports, and none of them seem to support the claims. Not saying there aren't problems with policy, just that this particular incident seems to be wonky.
I don’t know if the incident in the picture happened or not. But I loved the White House spokesperson saying that in response to the controversy, they will no longer be using horse at the border. Like that was the problem.

florduh

National treasure, Bill Burr on why certain COVID vaccine conspiracy theories don't make sense...

happy days stories GIF

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Yes...There are medical professionals who speak against the shot and masks but they don't even come close in numbers. The American Medical Association (AMA) released a new survey (PDF) among practicing physicians that shows more than 96 percent of surveyed U.S. physicians have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19, with no significant difference in vaccination rates across regions. Of the physicians who are not yet vaccinated, an additional 45 percent do plan to get vaccinated.. Link provided below.

Unfortunately you have to be diligent in terms of where you get your information and verifying it. I can't count the number of times I have received a covid document from someone and initially believed it because it had "some truth" in it. The number of medical professionals against the shot and masks is miniscule compared to those who are for it. I'm not sure where you got the information that they are close to equal in numbers for nurses. When it comes to these kinds of decisions I will lean on the 96% for information along with the "fact" that the overwhelming majority of those in the hospital are unvaxed. I've read that 95% of those in the hospital are unvaccinated and the lowest number I've seen was 80% for one county. Another thing to look into is whether the medical professional against the shot is making money selling unsubstantiated cures.

I saw this in the news and was reminded of our conversation, I thought you might find it interesting. Not even trying to make a counter point. I realize your link was specifically about physicians, where as I am about to post something about the NY healthcare industry as whole.

NY, as of today, mandates all healthcare workers to be vaccinated. Apparently there a big enough concern that we have enough non-vaccinated healthcare employees who would be unable to work as of today, that the governor is coming up with a "comprehensive" plan to bolster the healthcare industry here with supplemental workforce.

I went away with a group this weekend, one of my buddies girlfriends came along who I've never met. She works in healthcare and yeah, they made everybody get the shot last week or be terminated.

The plan includes preparing to sign an executive order if necessary to declare a state of emergency that seeks to increase workforce supply and allow qualified health care professionals licensed in other states or countries, recent graduates, retired and formerly practicing health care professionals to practice in New York State.

The Department of Labor has issued guidance to clarify that workers who are terminated because of refusal to be vaccinated are not eligible for unemployment insurance absent a valid doctor-approved request for medical accommodation.

Other options include deployment of medically-trained National Guard members, and partnering with the federal government to deploy Disaster Medical Assistance Teams (DMATs) to assist local health and medical systems. Additionally, Governor Hochul plans to work with the federal government and other state leaders to explore ways to expedite visa requests for medical professionals.

As of September 22, 84% of all hospital employees in New York State were fully vaccinated. As of September 23, 81% of staff at all adult care facilities and 77% of all staff at nursing home facilities in New York State were fully vaccinated.

According to the regulation issued by the State Department of Health, all health care workers in New York State, at hospitals and nursing homes, are to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with the first dose received by Monday, September 27, and staff at other covered entities including home care, hospice, and adult care facilities are to be vaccinated by October 7. The regulation also applies to all out of state and contract medical staff who practice in New York State.

This IS fake news...There was a picture taken which led some people to believe Border Patrol were whipping people from atop of their horses while in pursuit. The "whips" were reigns, which are used to control/direct a horse. There's no possible way to use them like a legitimate bullwhip

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I saw this in the news and was reminded of our conversation, I thought you might find it interesting. Not even trying to make a counter point. I realize your link was specifically about physicians, where as I am about to post something about the NY healthcare industry as whole.

This IS fake news...There was a picture taken which led some people to believe Border Patrol were whipping people from atop of their horses while in pursuit. The "whips" were reigns, which are used to control/direct a horse. There's no possible way to use them like a legitimate bullwhip

"As of September 22, 84% of all hospital employees in New York State were fully vaccinated. As of September 23, 81% of staff at all adult care facilities and 77% of all staff at nursing home facilities in New York State were fully vaccinated."

I'm hedging my bet on the border thing.....I'm no expert horsemen but I have ridden and seen the length and width of some reigns and yes, some reigns are longer/thicker and are used like whips on the horse to control the horse. If it can be used like a whip to control a horse, and it can.... its more than possible to hurt a human similarly. Definitely agree with those who are saying it's bullshit because no bullwhips were involved when some said they were bullwhips. I'm just waiting till a complete investigation is done. I read where the photographer said the pics were mis-interpreted which lends credence. Right now I'm leaning toward the pictures looked one way and the reality may be another.

His_Highness,

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
"As of September 22, 84% of all hospital employees in New York State were fully vaccinated. As of September 23, 81% of staff at all adult care facilities and 77% of all staff at nursing home facilities in New York State were fully vaccinated."

Yeah, I saw that. Like I said I wasn't making any counter point - just thought you would find it interesting/relevant. That's also the reason I pointed out that your link showing 96% was just physicians, where as my link showed less, I was explaining the difference and supporting your link by saying that this encompasses ALL healthcare, not just physicians. I still realize it was a poor choice of words on my side when I said that it was "just as many" against etc.

Although if we're splitting hairs, you can still be against it and be forced to get it...which is what they're doing, and not everybody is in a financial position to be able to say, fine, fire me. Either way though, the potential workforce shortage is clearly enough cause for concern

kel

FuckMisogynists!
While all this is going on, I just made a trip into town and you would think it was all over, hardly anyone observing any distancing, masks are a thing only the extreme minority of fucking weirdos do...

It's a joke!

I would estimate 95% of the population do not give one tiny flying fuck about this virus based on what I just saw.

Seriously,, I am feeling like a freak wearing a mask these days... there are plenty of people looking, got one well known anti-vaxxer in town looking at me, you could tell it was all derision and contempt for my extreme stupidity and sheeple attitude!

His_Highness

Mask wearing is like that proverbial box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. Go to the grocery store one day and no masks, go on another day and there are plenty of masks being worn. My favorite was the guys at the CVS where the guy giving the vaccine shot and the guy he was giving the shot to were both unmasked.

And if you really want to see heads start spinning....I where a surgical mask under a filtered cloth mask...if you think you get looks from wearing a mask...try wearing 2. But my all time favorite is the number of looks and middle fingers I get from wearing the mask in the car when I'm the only one in the car. If I'm going grocery shopping and to the hardware store....The masks go on at the grocery store and stays on till I'm done and heading home so I'm not fiddling with them. I don't get the middle finger all the time when wearing a mask in the car but it happens enough to where it no longer surprises or angers me. I have no problem wearing both those masks all day long but I know plenty of people who aren't able to double mask and should only be wearing a mask when indoors or around a packed crowd.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Well, you have to do what you have to do!!

I am talking about PUBS - FULL of people. Not. One. Single. Mask. In. Sight.

Why are they not all dead or in hospital yet?

I know for a fact at least one large group sat there will not have had the vaccine and never will, they have been through this entire thing saying it is all fake, they are all fine.

you would think at least one of them would have died or been seriously hurt by now right?

edit: I should add that this is not a one off, the pub looks the same every time I go into town, which okay I admit is not that often, but it is every time, people inside and out, no masks.

I should also say that this group in particular are heavy drinkers and smokers, prior to the pandemic, they would be regularly complaining of being ill with a cold or whatever, one of them even had quite severe health issues they barely survived.

Last edited:

His_Highness

Well, you have to do what you have to do!!

I am talking about PUBS - FULL of people. Not. One. Single. Mask. In. Sight.

Why are they not all dead or in hospital yet?

I know for a fact at least one lerge group sat there will not have had the vaccine and never will, they have been through this entire thing saying it is all fake, they are all fine.

you would think at least one off them would have died or been seriously hurt by now right?
My daughter teaches middle school.....none of her kids got covid last year but this year 1 did followed by 5 others with 8 in total quarantined.

As for those who haven't been tagged and aren't doing anything to protect themselves or others....I hope they remain covid free but time waits for no one and time can run out.

I live near Daytona and there's always a surge after a big turnout.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Of course I hope everyone is okay too.

Maybe. So the 'news says' anyway. I guess only time will tell, but I suspect/predict that they are going to continue to be absolutely fine.

Here in the UK we also spent a fortune on temporary hospitals that were not used either... is this fake news too?

When I say not used, I think they could have and should have been used, then the regular hospitals could have continued with the routine operations, that we now have a TWO YEAR backlog on, once things calmed down a bit, but nope, they were built, not used and dismantled in a seemingly extravagant piece of theatre.

I am just recounting the news as it presents itself. This aspect of the pandemic makes least sense of all to me...

Last edited:

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
"Which they say they deserve"

Yeah, I'd love to hear the other side of the "human beings deserve to spend time with their families" debate, CNN.

Definitely not disagreeing by any means, but do we know what their current compensation package is, specifically how much time off they're allotted? Is it a, "more, more, more" situation, or are they truly being overworked and undercompensated?

At some point there has to be a line. Perhaps not though, my GF works for a tech company and they have unlimited paid time off, provided they're meeting their goals.

I started at my company with 2 weeks paid time off, got 3 weeks at 5 years with the company. Yes, I think we're behind the times.

Still though, kind of funny when she tells me they gave her a day off for being #1 at XYZ... I dont understand how their "reward system" is based on something that they already have. Imagine having unlimited weed and somebody says "if you do this for me, I'll give you more weed."

Nah man I'm good I'll sit here and smoke this unlimited weed I already got

florduh

Definitely not disagreeing by any means, but do we know what their current compensation package is, specifically how much time off they're allotted? Is it a, "more, more, more" situation, or are they truly being overworked and undercompensated?
I don't know the specifics for all the current strikes. But for IATSE (film and TV workers union), they were specifically asking for a reasonable turnaround time. On air talent has a 12 hour rule, so if filming wraps at 9 pm, the soonest they can ask you back to set the next day is 9 am.

There are no such rules for IATSE workers right now. It's apparently quite common for there to only be 4-6 hour gaps between shifts, and to save money studios will have 7 day work weeks on productions. If these workers are in LA, figure an hour commute both ways. So that's 2-4 hours to eat, sleep, grocery shop, and spend time with your family. I'm aware of at least one recent story where a stage tech worker fell asleep at the wheel and died.

I posted this in another thread, but ABC had a surprisingly good overview of Strike-tober.

At the end of the day, for my whole life the scales have been tipped in favor of corporations and employers. I think seeing them shift a bit towards workers is good news.
At some point there has to be a line. Perhaps not though, my GF works for a tech company and they have unlimited paid time off, provided they're meeting their goals.

Yeah, that's a good deal if you can get it! I worked at one of those fancy tech companies like 5-6 years ago. They also had the unlimited vacation policy. But only in theory. In reality, your boss would guilt trip people every time they tried to actually use the benefit. If you had a somewhat decent boss you could still get more vacation than an average newer employee at a traditional company.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
I don't know the specifics for all the current strikes. But for IATSE (film and TV workers union), they were specifically asking for a reasonable turnaround time. On air talent has a 12 hour rule, so if filming wraps at 9 pm, the soonest they can ask you back to set the next day is 9 am.

There are no such rules for IATSE workers right now. It's apparently quite common for there to only be 4-6 hour gaps between shifts, and to save money studios will have 7 day work weeks on productions. If these workers are in LA, figure an hour commute both ways. So that's 2-4 hours to eat, sleep, grocery shop, and spend time with your family. I'm aware of at least one recent story where a stage tech worker fell asleep at the wheel and died.

I posted this in another thread, but ABC had a surprisingly good overview of Strike-tober.

Gotcha I just wasn't sure if that article was talking about a particular union or just speaking in broad terms. Those numbers you are talking about, impossible to function - I would agree. Every union guy/gal I know personally around here are all labor unions... and their benefits/schedules are fucking ridiculous (in a good way for them).

Gotta watch that video in a bit, jammed for time today!

Yeah, that's a good deal if you can get it! I worked at one of those fancy tech companies like 5-6 years ago. They also had the unlimited vacation policy. But only in theory. In reality, your boss would guilt trip people every time they tried to actually use the benefit. If you had a somewhat decent boss you could still get more vacation than an average newer employee at a traditional company.

In reality hers is similar, it still has to be approved. Shes had a few bosses as shes moved teams, some of them are literally like as long as your meeting your numbers take whatever time you want, and other bosses are like WELLL the TEAM isn't doing so great we could really use your help and start the guilt trip. She's also had bosses that basically expect her to be available to work on vacation, so it's not perfect. Her current boss seems to be great in that aspect.

BrianTL,
Reactions: florduh

Robert-in-YEG

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

That consent ain't gonna manufacture itself, I guess!
This was the biggest load of BS that has ever been sold. Only the good Lord knows the truth, but Epstein certainly didn't suicide with a paper bed sheet.

Actually, maybe the Kyle Rittenhouse might be a close second. I watched the trial, every video I could find, and the truth and what the mainstream media reported, simply just didn't align. This isn't the place for politics, so I say that simply in the sense of, as a Canadian, and as an outsider, this just seems to yet another example of 'fake news'.

FElSBMGXMAwmW-Q.jpg

I watched the trial, and the three shot were NOT black.

Robert-in-YEG

"Politics ruins everything."
~ Unknown

Last edited:

florduh

This was the biggest load of BS that has ever been sold. Only the good Lord knows the truth, but Epstein certainly didn't suicide with a paper bed sheet.

Especially because he wasn't even convicted yet. He still had plenty of tricks up his sleeves. Jeffrey was a man used to getting away with it. And the guy was still having prostitutes delivered to him, in jail.

And the "cameras malfunctioned" at the exact moment a guy who had dirt on the most powerful people on earth was hanging himself? They must think we're all really fuckin stupid.

When people say the NYT is "the paper of record", what they really mean is it's the maintainer of the status quo. They need to maintain the myth that America still has a function judicial system.

Top Bottom