EVOLV Cricket

biohacker

Anyone have any issues with charging their Crickets? Both of mine stop charging randomly (retail and blem). Brandon said that they made the circuit to be compatible with the most common generic chargers but that a future firmware update could fix it. However, this is also something kinda new, as I don't recall having these issues when I first got them.

Is charging directly via computer usb better? Pretty sure i've never had any issues doing that, so I assume it's my apple iphone bricks?

biohacker,

SquirrelMaster

Anyone have any issues with charging their Crickets? Both of mine stop charging randomly (retail and blem). Brandon said that they made the circuit to be compatible with the most common generic chargers but that a future firmware update could fix it. However, this is also something kinda new, as I don't recall having these issues when I first got them.

Is charging directly via computer usb better? Pretty sure i've never had any issues doing that, so I assume it's my apple iphone bricks?
No issues here with a Samsung 65w charger, Taffe Bowle charger, Aukey 15w charger and my PC's USB port.

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
No issues charging here either. I've used a number of different chargers, including a Samsung charger and my PC's charger and a generic 65 watt PD charger and even a piece of test equipment that has a USB port (at work where there was no AC outlet handy).

I don't have any Apple chargers...

Oh, and I never got an answer to my earlier question (other then to confirm I was probably on drugs), so let me ask it again differently:

Does your Cricket auto lock itself after some amount of time?

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Thanks, I guess I was using it so frequently in the beginning that it didn't have time to auto lock. :)

My cap is giving me trouble an appreciable amount of time now; the Cricket comes up in cap off mode when the cap is on, requiring me to take the cap off and put it back on. I may turn off the cap sensing and just short pulse to pre-melt the load. I think it's worse with the cap on in one direction versus the other, but I'm not sure yet...

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
I charge my laptop, iPad Pro, Mighty+, Cricket and anything else with a USB-C with a 65w Amazon charger and have had no issues. In fact, while I am not enthused with battery life, the plus on the flip side is that with a super charger it charges to full quite quickly.

Re: Cap-Off issues, I am continuing to get consistent mismatch as well. I’ve also noticed the onboard loading tool can cause Cricket to ’think’ the cap is on sometimes, which can sometimes lead to my “pre-melt” becoming a pre-splatter as it overshoots the cap off temp. I’ve been able to dial out most of my concerns with the device, but the cap simply is not ready as is.

80Sixed

Just coming back to add that it does look like the cap sensor with the update does seem to get “trained” better over time. I used the device frequently at a recent cannabis event, and maybe 20 times since, and have run into an incorrect cap reading less than 5 times. Most of my criticism still stands, but wanted to update a major concern that has SEEMINGLY been corrected.

80Sixed,

SquirrelMaster

Just coming back to add that it does look like the cap sensor with the update does seem to get “trained” better over time. I used the device frequently at a recent cannabis event, and maybe 20 times since, and have run into an incorrect cap reading less than 5 times. Most of my criticism still stands, but wanted to update a major concern that has SEEMINGLY been corrected.
That's with SP50 or is there another newer version I missed?

SquirrelMaster,

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
That's with SP50 or is there another newer version I missed?

That’s the latest version, didn’t help with my cap detection….

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: biohacker

80Sixed

Idk it was the original patch added, I hadn’t pulled it out of the closet since and def haven’t plugged it into a comp in the last couple months

80Sixed,

SquirrelMaster

That’s the latest version, didn’t help with my cap detection….

Mine came with SP50 and was really good at first, then bad for a few days to the point that I was going to turn it off in Escribe, and then it got better. Some days it has a mind of its own it seems like.

INDIVA

Sheeiitt. All ready to jump on a blem unit and just saw the tiny disclaimer about legal states only. I will wait a bit longer...
I have been told you might be able to buy one still just try to buy one if it works great if not you will need to
I have played a little with writing a replacement app for escribe that is browser based. I think it is possible for evolv to do this, but right now their application is a .NET application. I think it would be fantastic if Evolv documented the escribe interface, especially with regular box mods going extinct. It might even drive adoption of DNA chips in more bespoke vapes.

Anyway, sad to say there is no escribe for Chromebook right now.
So I asked evolv this the other day and it's simply the funds to do when they have a working one already granite a web browser based escribe would be thee shite but just not feasible I mean if your willing to take the time and build a web browser version I'm sure they would be all for it but would be more of a donation type thing that would be incredible tho if someone would build one for them and everyone!!! Would be hella appreciated thats for sure

INDIVA,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
So I asked evolv this the other day and it's simply the funds to do when they have a working one already granite a web browser based escribe would be thee shite but just not feasible I mean if your willing to take the time and build a web browser version I'm sure they would be all for it but would be more of a donation type thing that would be incredible tho if someone would build one for them and everyone!!! Would be hella appreciated thats for sure
Yeah, I quit working on this as the documentation is non-existent so I am basically guessing and observing Escribe. It looks like the Escibe "protocol" is built and designed by Dimension Engineering, who also seem to be the same folks at Evolv. So I suspect they aren't interested in opening up the protocol/documentation to third parties, even if it was for an open source project like mine. I'd love to be wrong about that.

Grass Yes,

INDIVA

I don't think it's coming off of the gasket, but rather some black marks on the side of the steel of the tub well. When I first received my retail unit, I iso wiped the lid and also had this black residue. I've see this before, perhaps some sort of SS oxidation?

On to another type of black residue.... the tub reclaim. I always thought that an iso wipe and/or iso soak and some heat burns at 600 got the Ti tub clean. I was wrong. I was starting to wonder why strains were not tasting like the flavour country they once were, so I applied a bit of pressure with a clean qtip on what I thought was a clean oven, and boy was I wrong!

What do you guys do to keep the Ti tub sparkling? Can this grade 9 ti be torched? I made an iso/baking soda paste which has been working great to get that black shit off, and now it's soaking in it because I feel like i'll be scrubbing forever.

I really hope I can get back to flavour country!
Get you some dark crystal cleaner and use it hot too does absolute wonders for t.i headdieddies powder I've heard good things about but never have used it personally like I have dark crystal that stuff is great usually they have buy one get one on Amazon for like $25...idk about torching the thin ti I pry wouldn't also 600f isnt gna do anything to burn off reclaim your just putting unneeded strain and use on the battery and device!!! Of course there will be reclaim under the tub and on the deck it's not sealed so vapor will collect and it does need to be cleaned and everytime u take the tub off you MUST RECALIBRATE EVERYTIME YOU MOVE THE SCREWS...AS that's what changes the ohms on it on how tight or loose the screws are

Yeah, I quit working on this as the documentation is non-existent so I am basically guessing and observing Escribe. It looks like the Escibe "protocol" is built and designed by Dimension Engineering, who also seem to be the same folks at Evolv. So I suspect they aren't interested in opening up the protocol/documentation to third parties, even if it was for an open source project like mine. I'd love to be wrong about that.
Well you can always reach out to them and ask and actually find out I mean it doesn't hurt to ask something great could come out of it u never know I mean escribe being free I can't see why they wouldn't want to give you access and do a Collab type thing

Tried that… most are plastic now, I had some older ones that seemed to have a bit of paper, I soaked before insertion, didn’t hold enough solvent, possibly acceptable if there was a way to remove what was left behind, but this shows you are thinking more deeply, nice!

For home use, that would work, but many don’t own a US cleaner, and my goal is a quick but effective tool, like a miniature QTip. And because of the glass itself being very thin, I’d be very careful cleaning in my US. Cavitation can be very destructive, but worth a try if you have a backup chimney.

Excellent point, I buy the real QTip brand, 5 boxes of 600/box. Hopefully the paper and cotton aren’t too bad for the planet!
Amazon has 4 500pk for $10: for qtips it's what I get
Starting to find the groove with this little guy. My rule is becoming ‘if it looks too small, take a little off’. It’s a true micro-dosing dab rig, I had had a personal moritorium on weeknight dabs. Had. If you’re the kind of person who likes dabs on the smaller side, this thing is rad.

But also sort of identifies another shortfall of the device from a retail perspective. It has a learning curve, I wasn’t too impressed at first. But I’m an experienced vaper who understands the processies at work and has access to the knowledge of amazing FCer’s who share. Is your average brick and mortar retail customer going to have the patience to learn how to make this thing purr?

I’m starting to think it’s more like a [pick your favorite hot small sports car, mine’s GTI]. “It’s just a little car.” But many of them have a whole lotta snap under the throttle and they’ll bite ya if you don’t know what you’re doing. Not too far off from “It’s just a wax pen.”
I love my gti I sure hope I love the lil cricket too the dab size is def a concern for me on if it's going to be enough for me as I usually take globs of single source hash rosin grown and washed and pressed by me...so def curious on this piece mine will be here on Friday and can't come soon enough..I have chronic pain so this could be a game changer for me but def not sure about the dab size and battery life as still haven't read how many sessions you will get out of a full charge and ik it will depend on settings of course!!!!
What I've noticed no one has mentioned that there is no worthless haptic feedback for this lil cricket and about time they get rid of that ridiculous gimmick all it does is waste battery life esp when. It happens 3x per session like it does on my high 5 duo

INDIVA,

someTooL

Received my “blemished” unit today. Pleasantly surprised with nothing noticeable other then the known missing extras. Nice build and weight.

Super duper first impression. Had no issues with splatter (maybe I need to go hotter lol) and clean up seems to be ezpz. Qtip while premelt and all good, quick across the warm mp and done.

First hit is super thick and tasty. Finding the second cleanup hit has a little titanium taste. Small tiny bb size, 485-510 has been my playground so far.

someTooL

Couple days of days now getting to know the device and finding myself liking it more each use.

Battery life seems to be enough to last me for the day. Charging goes by so pretty quickly also.

Found loading with my tool while pre melt was almost like using a hot knife. Rest it on the side and drops right in.

Has stayed relatively clean with just using a qtip. The bucket is smooth with no jags I’ve found.

I’ve stayed 485-510 with no real mess. I will say that 510 for too long does start the splatter happening…but worth it lol.

I know it’s new, but find myself reaching for this over another recently acquired device :shrug:

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
I find myself reaching for it over my RiO as well, and honestly dabbing slightly more frequently than I used to. I still love a nice RiO dab on the weekend, but if I need to be at all productive it is too much. Vapor tastes better and feels cooler from Cricket too…

INDIVA

I do Not think so… would melt your dab into the mouthpiece in my opinion…
Ya that's what I was thinking on it spilling now. That hubble bubble actually fits and seals against the mouth piece of the cricket? As if it does that could be great but would be nice if they would make it for a 14mm so I could use it on my glass and not have to buy some tiny water piece..but appreciate the link it's def cool and might check it out if it works and is fully sealed then ya..

INDIVA,
Top Bottom