EVOLV Cricket

JCat

Accessory Maker
True, and the super thin profile of devices like the Cricket, similar to an iPhone, dictate the use of LiPo packs, which is also considered to have a safer chemistry than a lithium ion cylindrical battery. At least there is a company battery replacement option, though many won’t own or use a device long enough, when’s the last time anyone had a LiPo replacement on a product?

There are still a fair amount of devices with replaceable batteries, my Davinci’s, Roffu, Tinymight, etc.
Then there are the devices with NO battery replacement, I usually only buy this type if they are cheap, as I won’t care much when they eventually fail.
I'm ok with non-replaceable batteries as long as the manufacturer offers battery replacement for a reasonable fee; I understand the safety/liability concerns.

simba

@weedanwine
Also I appreciate US manufacturing. But unless they're running with union labor, it doesn't impress me all that much.
I'd hope it was for the price of this thing! But I wouldn't bet on it.

It's not *that* much cheaper than the MVP. Sure the MVP is much bigger, but at least you don't have to dab off titanium 😂

simba,

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
It's not *that* much cheaper than the MVP
Uh
MVP is $750.
Evolv Cricket is $400.
Kind of a big difference.
I just talked with the MVP guy.
new vaporizers offering swappable batteries

The MVP does taake swappable batteries, 21700's in fact, two of them.
I had a talk with the owner of https://fadespace.com/, who makes the MVP.
We discussed the AlN ceramic it uses versus the AlO ceramic that the V5 uses.

But... I digress.... this is a thread about the Cricket.

By the way, the MVP utilizes the DNA 250C chip, which is made by Evolv, who makes the Cricket.

I don't personally taste any titanium, metallic taste, or any polluting taste really with my extracts using the Cricket.
Also, what they say about not needing water filtration with the Cricket is pretty much true, it's a very cool smooth vape.
I WILL admit that it doesnt chuck as much vapor as a V5 or, proabably, the MVP too.
However, with a couple of puffs you are just as affected as that amount in the v5 or MVP.

Here's a video to keep you all amused:

TonyGazelle

Intro and first impressions

I ordered from headshop.com but I think my unit shipped directly from evolv. I had no communication with headshop after they took my money. I was just surprised to see it in my mailbox one morning. I opened my box to find that my packaging inside of the unit had torn and my cricket was just rattling around inside the plastic case. I was pretty disappointed but there were no scratches and everything seemed to work just fine. I took pictures to document this in case the unit was messed up in anyway and just moved on.

I was surprised at how small the cricket is. I've watched and read every review I could find but was still surprised with it's size.

Build quality and feel

The build quality is top notch. This thing feels well made. It feels great in the hand and has a nice weight to it. The buttons are high quality and do not rattle or anything like that. Even sliding the in board dab tool in and out just screams high quality.

Usage

To use the cricket you load a small piece of concentrate in the tub and then melt it down with the cap off. I've been using my cap off temperature at 175. Then you put the cap on and select the temp you'll use. The unit gets to temp quickly and I think this heat up time along with dab melt times can be customized by the user.

The cricket works best with a slow draw. I started my taking a hit at 485, then 535 and then 585 and was able to get tasty vapor quickly and easily.

The draw speed is free and easy and the vapor is surprisingly cool for such a short vapor path. Not sure how they accomplished that.

Cleaning

I am meticulous with keeping my hardware clean. I clean my cricket after each use. When I first got the cricket I was inhaling too quickly and clogged the glass mouthpiece with concentrate. It was easy to take, clean out and swap. I've been using one q tip after each session and it's kept my cricket looking nearly new.

I swab out the tub mouthpiece first because it's still warm, then I turn my attention to the tub and surrounding areas. I'll q tip the metal and anything else that looks dirty. Every few sessions I will take an iso wipe to everything.

I don't think that the cleaning is too cumbersome but it might impact portability for some.

Battery

Battery life is ok but could be better. I haven't noticed degradation in performance with battery levels going down. I didn't really keep track of how many hits I got either.

This thing is fast and has great flavor. It is well built and it feels great in the hand. It is efficient with material. It is satisfying to use.

Dislike

The price is pretty high. It's my most expensive piece of vaping equipment and I've never taken a risk on a device like this. Some people won't like the cleaning ritual involved here. Some people will find the optimal load size for the cricket to be too small.

I bought this as a motivational gift to myself to continue with some healthier lifestyle decisions I've made recently. It's going back in my vape drawer until I finish my couch to 5k program and then I'll enjoy it again in a few weeks.

I am going to miss having this unit out and ready to go though. One of the reviews I watched or read described the cricket as a great device for dry herb vapers to use concentrates because the ritual, cleaning are similar. I agree with that. Dabbing isn't my preferred consumption method but with the cricket it definitely makes it more enjoyable/appealing and something I'm looking forward to using more often.

My concentrate device history is limited to the boundless terp pen XL and the xmax qomo. The cricket will shelve both of those units for sure. The other concentrate device I have is the stasche rio. I'll save that device for when I want larger dabs

If anyone has any questions that I could help them with please feel free to fire away.

Overall I'm really happy with the cricket after a week of owning it. I'm looking forward to breaking it out again when I'm able.

Last edited:

biohacker

By the way, the MVP utilizes the DNA 250C chip, which is made by Evolv, who makes the Cricket.

:clap::rofl:

I didn't even know that the MVP pos was still a thing! I remember reading about all the horror stories with it and Fadespace on Reddit a little while back and still don't see any actual proper reviews, other than the last comment in the bustling MVP thread! :lol:

I will likely buy the Cricket if there is a decent 4/20 discount ($299), but I will never buy the MVP not even for half of the price.

florduh

I will likely buy the Cricket if there is a decent 4/20 discount ($299), but I will never buy the MVP not even for half of the price.

There are coupons floating around that bring the price down to about $350 shipped. Or the same price as a TinyMight. I'd also like to see it get closer to $300.

I haven't heard a single reviewer bitch about a metallic taste yet. Which is kinda wild.

florduh

For me, there is none yeah.

There's no metallic taste for anyone it seems! There are complaints about the device. But never about the taste.

I say that's wild because at least some people would complain about Ti buckets in the Peak and Carta. I ran with the Sai Ti Bucket for years and enjoyed it. But there was definitely a faint metal twang to the taste at times.

biohacker

Not only that @florduh but people have actually been saying that the flavour has been great! It does surprise me though, and makes me wonder if i'm just overly sensitive and a flavour snob, because i'd rather not consume, than dab off of Ti :shrug:

Pretty sure that gemstone dabbing surfaces, and liquid live resin/rosin carts have spoiled my taste buds to the point of if it doesn't taste great, I don't want it. I know i'm alone here, but I simply cannot vape flower anymore because of the taste. #dabworldproblems

florduh

Not only that @florduh but people have actually been saying that the flavour has been great! It does surprise me though, and makes me wonder if i'm just overly sensitive and a flavour snob, because i'd rather not consume, than dab off of Ti :shrug:

I was waiting to see what Troy/420vapezone had to say about the taste. Because he's a Terp Slurper only kind of guy. While Troy had complaints about the device, they weren't about the taste. He's the type who would rather take one big dab than 2 small ones though. So this device isn't for him.

I dunno what it is. Maybe the tight TC keeps the metal flavor from seeping into the vapor? Maybe this "Grade 9" Ti is better than the Ti I'm familiar with? Or... maybe that fast vaporization plus a short vapor path allows the terps to overpower any metal taste? I don't get it!

Pretty sure that gemstone dabbing surfaces, and liquid live resin/rosin carts have spoiled my taste buds to the point of if it doesn't taste great, I don't want it. I know i'm alone here, but I simply cannot vape flower anymore because of the taste. #dabworldproblems

Yeah I tend to agree. I haven't had any flower in 6 months. I did enjoy the taste of flower out of the TM. Because it would vaporize the whole load before the terps were gone. But..... letsbehonest.... it still can't compete with the taste of good 'trates.

I've been on a bit of a CURED resin/rosin kick lately. Cheaper than the live stuff and has more of a flower taste. But a better cleaner "flower" taste.

AssistedLiving

There are six grades of pure titanium (grades 1,2,3,4,7 and 11) and 4 varieties of titanium alloys.
Titanium alloys typically contain traces of
aluminum, molybdenum, vanadium, niobium, tantalum, zirconium, manganese, iron, chromium, cobalt, nickel, & copper.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Maybe this "Grade 9" Ti is better than the Ti I'm familiar with?

Yes, most of the Ti you've dabbed off of is Grade 2.
EDIT: I'm going to ask Evolv's president what grade this Ti bucket is made from.

I know i'm alone here

Not alone at all. I as well don't want to taste anyting but my tasty concentrates.

I have tasted Ti before, on other devices.
All I can report is I get verrry tasty dabs off of my Cricket !

TonyGazelle

I've been using this case that I bought on clearance through a dynavap sale. It works pretty well. It fits iso wipes, a charging cable, the cricket and qtip with some room to spare.

I've also got one of these coming in the mail this week that I'm hoping will be another good case.

Anybody got a case that they're using that they like and would recommend?

TonyGazelle,
Reactions: florduh

gotbadvas

Maybe since it heats the Ti up and cools back off so fast it somehow imparts less taste? I can normally taste ti just a little but not SS.

gotbadvas,
Reactions: florduh

simba

@weedanwine
:clap::rofl:

I didn't even know that the MVP pos was still a thing! I remember reading about all the horror stories with it and Fadespace on Reddit a little while back and still don't see any actual proper reviews, other than the last comment in the bustling MVP thread! :lol:

I'd never buy it, but it was an example of high priced device with at least a better surface to dab from
I was waiting to see what Troy/420vapezone had to say about the taste. Because he's a Terp Slurper only kind of guy. While Troy had complaints about the device, they weren't about the taste. He's the type who would rather take one big dab than 2 small ones though. So this device isn't for him.

Personally don't get the terp slurper hype, it's just quartz 🤷🏽‍♂️

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja

I asked the President/Co-Founder of Evolv about the titanium tub that's used with the Cricket.

His reply was: "We use grade 9 titanium for the tub and commercially pure titanium (Grade 2) for the contacts but the contacts do not get heated. We etch and deoxidize the titanium which is likely why ours is taste free. Etching removes the top layer of titanium and leaves a smooth-ish surface."

There you go, straight from the source.

:p

biohacker

The dude that quit consuming and sold his Cricket said that it was "crazy stupid at micro dosing" for what it's worth!

I haven't had VAS in a ridiculous amount of time, but this one I just can't seem to get the bug outta my ear! Looking forward to more early adopters and reviews before I chuck my cash at Evolv!

TheDude23

Hey hey I bought that cricket on discord this morning! Anyone know how to power the device down and not just lock it? It didn't come with instructions and the calibration was way off. I set the temp at 150 and redid the calibration and the device seems to be working immensely better. At first it was glowing red hot instantly when the cap was off and the device was overheating after one dab.

He and I ended up being local to each other and just drove to meet up.

I absolutely love the device after playing with the calibration by the way! The flavor is absurdly good, the vapor is thick and full, and you get so many pulls off the tiniest amount of oil. I was going to buy one new tomorrow, but saw that one on discord before work this morning and snatched it up instantly. I would absolutely recommend this device to anyone toying with the idea of getting one.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
how to power the device down and not just lock it?

In fact, all mods work like this, there is no true off switch.
This is why mods 'turn on' after 5 clicks. The chip is running to record those 5 clicks.
Thing is, many mods do not light the screen after the 1st click. DNA mods do. Then 4 more cliks are recorded to 'turn on' the mod.
I believe the amount of clicks to turn it on or off can be adjusted with Escribe, Evolv's DNA software tool. It includes the Cricket now.

after playing with the calibration by the way

Interesting, the previous owner must have altered something, because mine and I believe Rusty's also, came out just fine right out of the box, and, I've never seen this tub glow red hot, not even close to that.
With Escribe, you can bring the unit back to factory default, and adjust as you feel necessary.

and you get so many pulls off the tiniest amount of oil

Exaclty, that's what I meant about how economical it can be.

TonyGazelle

I'd also love to know how to turn off my cricket.

It's sitting for a couple of weeks and I am concerned about it's battery. I'm gonna reach out to evolv and I'll let ppl know if powering down is possible

biohacker

Welcome @TheDude23 and congrats on such a sweat deal! :tup: Your feedback is greatly appreciated....please keep us posted on your journey with it!

Just curious what you all make of Troy burning his lip on the vape at 530f. I've burnt my lip on a very hot mouthpiece before (cough-grasshopper-cough), but i've never heard of the actual vapour burning.

biohacker,
Reactions: TheDude23
Top Bottom