EVOLV Cricket

TheDude23

Welcome @TheDude23 and congrats on such a sweat deal! :tup: Your feedback is greatly appreciated....please keep us posted on your journey with it!

Just curious what you all make of Troy burning his lip on the vape at 530f. I've burnt my lip on a very hot mouthpiece before (cough-grasshopper-cough), but i've never heard of the actual vapour burning.
I'd be curious if his device needs to be calibrated. Initially mine was heating so high it would definitely have burned your mouth if you continued to try and use it further than one puff. Is there any readable info on the calibration? Does the device come with an owners manual that wasn't included in my secondhand purchase? I've been reading all over the internet and can't find anything about how to use the calibrate function properly. Even the evolv website's tutorial videos fail to mention calibration.

TonyGazelle

Everyone is different but I can't see how Troy could have burnt his lips at 530 as I have comfortable hits at 600.

I posted that my cricket will sit for a few weeks until I finish my workout plan. I contacted evolv worried about the battery and they said it should be fine. There's a dormant state the cricket will enter after some idle time and there's some battery protection on board. They also replied that if anything were amiss they'd take care of it.

Through my conversations with evolv they have always been helpful and quick to reply.

I think you hold the up and down buttons at the same time to enter the calibration mode. I am not in front of my cricket at the moment and I have not done this yet.

I also have no metal taste in my hits. This is my first device that utilizes metal.

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
I'd also love to know how to turn off my cricket.

It's sitting for a couple of weeks and I am concerned about it's battery. I'm gonna reach out to evolv and I'll let ppl know if powering down is possible
Five clicks puts the Cricket in lock mode, Then the screen fades off until you unlock it with five more clicks. This feature keeps the battery from turning on in your pocket or carrying case. Which also preserves the battery..

Vaporooni,
Reactions: BigJr48

TheDude23

Everyone is different but I can't see how Troy could have burnt his lips at 530 as I have comfortable hits at 600.

I posted that my cricket will sit for a few weeks until I finish my workout plan. I contacted evolv worried about the battery and they said it should be fine. There's a dormant state the cricket will enter after some idle time and there's some battery protection on board. They also replied that if anything were amiss they'd take care of it.

Through my conversations with evolv they have always been helpful and quick to reply.

I think you hold the up and down buttons at the same time to enter the calibration mode. I am not in front of my cricket at the moment and I have not done this yet.

I also have no metal taste in my hits. This is my first device that utilizes metal.
Yeah entering calibration is pretty straightforward. What to set it at once you've entered is where I can't find any info. Where are we calibrating them? (The only reason I'm messing with this is because the prior owner had this device way out of whack)

TheDude23,
Reactions: BigJr48

AlphaDeltaF1

Yeah entering calibration is pretty straightforward. What to set it at once you've entered is where I can't find any info. Where are we calibrating them? (The only reason I'm messing with this is because the prior owner had this device way out of whack)

If you have access to a computer use escribe to update to latest firmware and as well as return to default stock parameters if you wish.

Calibration on the device ensures the the resistance of the Ti crucible is stable. The device will read out the stability of the tub and that is the extent of calibration.

More info about updating on the unofficial discord server.

TonyGazelle

That I cannot tell you. Evolv has been really great at answering questions though.

If you find the info needed please share it here.

TheDude23

If you have access to a computer use escribe to update to latest firmware and as well as return to default stock parameters if you wish.

Calibration on the device ensures the the resistance of the Ti crucible is stable. The device will read out the stability of the tub and that is the extent of calibration.

More info about updating on the unofficial discord server.

I got an excellent feedback reading after recalibration at 150°

I'll update my device after work though anyways!

SquirrelMaster

Evolv replied back to my questions about the cap detection and discount code. I asked for more clarification with the cap detection (software or hardware update).

Steps have been taken in regard to the cap detection.

Last edited by a moderator:
SquirrelMaster,
Reactions: biohacker

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I asked the President/Co-Founder of Evolv about the titanium tub that's used with the Cricket.

His reply was: "We use grade 9 titanium for the tub and commercially pure titanium (Grade 2) for the contacts but the contacts do not get heated. We etch and deoxidize the titanium which is likely why ours is taste free. Etching removes the top layer of titanium and leaves a smooth-ish surface."

There you go, straight from the source.

:p

Sorry but that’s just kind of silly, titanium instantly forms a new protective oxide layer as soon as it’s exposed to oxygen.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
I'd also love to know how to turn off my cricket.

It's sitting for a couple of weeks and I am concerned about it's battery
In fact, all mods work like this, there is no true off switch.
This is why mods 'turn on' after 5 clicks. The chip is running to record those 5 clicks.
Thing is, many mods do not light the screen after the 1st click. DNA mods do. Then 4 more cliks are recorded to 'turn on' the mod.
I believe the amount of clicks to turn it on or off can be adjusted with Escribe, Evolv's DNA software tool. It includes the Cricket now.

There is no 'off' on DNA mods.
Nor other mods.
The Cricket IS off after the display shuts off.
Click the power bution 5 times and it's basically off.
That's as much OFF as u can get, the battery is using no power when the display is off.

Last edited:

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
If you have access to a computer use escribe to update to latest firmware

Just found out what people are talking about with this calibration stuff, and, what pushing multiple buttons can do.

Calibration is primarily used when changing tubs, however, as I've found, it can be a great imrovement to the device.
I didn't know, because, my Cricket was not updated.
Using Escribe I updated the firmware on the Cricket, and then, saw on-board options to press fire + up (right button) to increase heat up time, and, pressing both up and down (left and right) one can choose to calibrate.
I did the calibration on a cold tub, and let it run its course.
The delivery has vastly improved, I wasn't getting the full amount of vapor that this little thing can produce.

So yes, I also advise folks to update their firmware and then calibrate.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Welcome @TheDude23 and congrats on such a sweat deal! :tup: Your feedback is greatly appreciated....please keep us posted on your journey with it!

Just curious what you all make of Troy burning his lip on the vape at 530f. I've burnt my lip on a very hot mouthpiece before (cough-grasshopper-cough), but i've never heard of the actual vapour burning.
Did he burn his lip from the vapor or from concentrate coming up through the mouthpiece? I think I recall in the video he commented that it was because he drew too hard at first (or maybe we are referring to different videos or different sections in the video)

biohacker

Did he burn his lip from the vapor or from concentrate coming up through the mouthpiece? I think I recall in the video he commented that it was because he drew too hard at first (or maybe we are referring to different videos or different sections in the video)

It was from the vapour.

i think it was about 16 minutes into the video

biohacker,
  • Wow
Reactions: JCat

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I also advise folks to update their firmware and then calibrate.

If one joins the Evolv forum, you can get alerts when new firmware is released, the link below is the thread to follow.

I think I recall in the video he commented that it was because he drew too hard at first

I watched that video awhile ago, don’t pay much if any attention to Troy in that video, Jerry actually read the manual, learned the device and how to use it correctly, and had no heat issues, nor have I. Troy could break a steel ball…. :)

poison

I just got my Evolv Cricket from European official reseller :)
Probably first piece in Poland.
The quality of product is absolutely top of the top. I got a lot of other devices, mostly for dry herb - but this is SOMETHING.
Vapor have a great taste, the airflow is insane, less is more - if we wanna talk a little bit about chamber.
But don't worry, you can put there enough concentrate at once to have great and powerful session.
Best regards

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Evolv forum

Right on man, yes.
I've been on the forum for some years now...
However........
For some mental block stupidity, I wasn't going there for a while.
Highly recommended, yes, to check out the forum of Evolv.
Speaking of updates, it seems that the update for Cricket has now gone 'public', that is, availble thru Escribe software directly.
One thing is, when going to that URL, those are BETA releases, which may have bugs.
Thanks @RustyOldNail !

Nice image, @poison ! :D
:p

Last edited:

biohacker

Vapor have a great taste, the airflow is insane, less is more - if we wanna talk a little bit about chamber.
But don't worry, you can put there enough concentrate at once to have great and powerful session.

Thank you for your early adopter feedback! :tup:

I haven't had VAS this bad in years! This device is literally perfect for me... It's like the Cricket forces you to microdose!

I've watched all the review vids twice, and think i'll re-read this thread again before I jump in! :rofl:

Chirp Chirp!!

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
https://streamable.com/ppndgq I love the taste of my dabs in this device. I've never tasted my dabs like this with out water cooling the vapor down in any of my other expensive dab rigs or portables. The Cricket is what I reach for and my other vape dab rigs will be shelved for now. I also find that I don't need to pre melt. I get even more taste, And the clouds are still there.

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

https://streamable.com/ppndgq I love the taste of my dabs in this device. I've never tasted my dabs like this with out water cooling the vapor down in any of my other expensive dab rigs or portables. The Cricket is what I reach for and my other vape dab rigs will be shelved for now. I also find that I don't need to pre melt. I get even more taste, And the clouds are still there.

I saw your earlier post, before this recently edited one, and was going to respond to your “hack” of removing the silicone gasket.
Curious why you removed it? :)

biohacker

What do you guys think about the silicone stash compartment? No concerns about leaching?

What about that silicone gasket in the mouthpiece? Is ISO bad for it?

biohacker,

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
I saw your earlier post, before this recently edited one, and was going to respond to your “hack” of removing the silicone gasket.
Curious why you removed it? :)
Like you said ''hack'' and ''back'' it went after a good cleaning. Now I put half the dab I'm use to putting in and my draw speed has slowed down.

JCat

Accessory Maker
What do you guys think about the silicone stash compartment? No concerns about leaching?

I probably wouldn't use the silicone stash compartment much, but for short term storage probably be ok ... maybe.

As far as gasket in mouthpiece, should be ok to clean with ISO as long as you don't soak too long.

RustyOldNail

Like you said ''hack'' and ''back'' it went after a good cleaning. Now I put half the dab I'm use to putting in and my draw speed has slowed down.

I was just going to comment, that without the gasket, it’s possible the glass MP tube could fall into the HOT tube while vaping. Not sure what would happen.

Though the glass is listed as “Quartz”, I’ve found the rounded edges running vertically up the side of the tubes, to be thin enough that it broke when I removed it for a deeper clean, just holding it between my fingers, minimal pressure. It surprised me, broke in half vertically, two half’s….. I’m now using the last included spare, and am cleaning it “in place”, till I buy some more spares.

I wrote Evolv about this, so they hopefully will offer just the glass MP inserts, as of now, they offer a replacement with one glass insert, and one silicone gasket, and while having a spare gasket is something I’m going to order, if the glass is as fragile as I’ve experienced, I’d like to see them sell a (5) pack of just the glass MP’s, five for $20-25? I’ll report back ….

poison

I was thiking about some case last night. The leather sleeve could be nice option
;)
This device is too elegant to put it into silicone, lol
:lol:

Something like this case for Zippo:

Or something simplier:

What do you think?
:)

I think ISO would not destroy silicone gasket if you'll use it gently - just eartip and a little drop of iso, then another eartip and drop of clean water (testing in progress, from yesterday! :D)

Top Bottom