Discontinued Elo Vaporizer by Illimite Concept

smokey_da_vape

I received my elo today. It is charging right now so won't be able to use it for a bit. My initial impression upon opening up the box was fairly good. The unit looks like it should work, but I can definitely see the problem some of you are having with all the silicone and plastic. More to come....

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
I received my elo today. It is charging right now so won't be able to use it for a bit. My initial impression upon opening up the box was fairly good. The unit looks like it should work, but I can definitely see the problem some of you are having with all the silicone and plastic. More to come....
Best of luck my friend. Mine is on its way back to Ken. Hope all will be good, waiting for my full refund which I suppose to be receiving when elo's back home.
You all have a nice day!

smokey_da_vape

Ok guys well, here are my first impressions. I did 4 burn ins with no visible off gassing, but the smell of silicone is there. I threw in a chip loaded up with the Canadian governments best herb and took a draw. I have some decent bud and it smells really skunky, but all I could taste was silicone. I actually felt like I had a thin film of something on my teeth after my first session. For a convection vaporizer the clouds should be massive, but even on max temp of 410f the clouds are small, like puffit 2 small. This vape has alot of potential and I feel like they are on to a very good vaporizer, this version of the elo isn't it. It's a pass for me.

Just Justin

I think most burn ins are overkill and can actually harm some vaporizers, depending on how you do it.

I got the new Chip Top Screen and New Silicone Top Seal and I tried them out. I put the Chip Top Lid Screen on a new Chip, one I haven't soaked and scrubbed and I did soak the new Silicone Seal but with using the new Chip, I definitely got more of that "taste." Now, when I use the main Chip and seal I've been using the most, then the taste is perfectly pure, no silicone or plastic, except for a slight smidgen towards the end of the session. I recommend if your still having these tastes, just make sure you soak and scrub em' good in ISO and repeat and give it a little time and they will get better, at least they did for me.

The new Chip Screen/Lid and Seal design is really nice. No more fooling around with placing top screens over your herb because its now attached to the top part of the Chip so you just have to clip in your loaded chamber. When your done, its so easy to just brush that screen off when there's some solid backing of the Chip Lid there to help, so its been a really nice upgrade. I think the new seal works better and I have been getting a lot more vapor, at lower temps too but that could be partly to do with the fix I implemented in the vapor path. I think the New Seal just seals better and I think it can be used with regular Chips too, more on that later. I will hopefully be able to upload pics tonight of the New Chip Lid and Seal and the vapor path fix idea.

I agree that the Elo is not a cloud machine but the vapor is much smoother and cooler than most, if not all of my portables, so the Elo definitely has a place in my line-up because I prefer the lighter vapor most of the time when I just want to "sip" on some vapor rather than blow some huge clouds that aren't as smooth or cool and require less inhalations when I am looking for a bit of a session.

I hope people are patient enough to stick with the Elo for a bit to see if the taste/smell improves because I think its worth it and mine improved for sure.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
@Just Justin I understand you want to see certain vaporizers succeed, however I have noticed from many of the vaporizers you have reviewed that you don't seem nearly as sensitive as some others to plastics and silicones. There is nothing wrong with this, however I think you have to understand that as a community we should really pay attention to those that are sensitive as they may be saving all of our asses at the end of the day by picking up on something that those with less sensitivity don't notice.

Perhaps patience is a silent killer...and why invite it when the standard for a vape at this price has been set so high by it's peers.

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Silicone taste or not, I gotta say I'm very underwhelmed by the Elo. I haven't even used it in days. I got a vivape2 desktop last week as well so it was a pretty cloudy birthday. I gotta say the vivape2 is awesome with the aquavape and great at a party.

The Elo though, I'm just not into it. It does have some great flavor at first but no better than the Grasshopper.

Regardless of full or small pack, I don't get very many flavorful hits per chip. Unlike the Grasshopper where once the Terps are stripped theres still some cloud production which is just kinda fun, when the Elo looses flavor there's no point to keep going, although I do get a good effect from the Elo.

If a person is REALLY looking for cloudless vaping experience then give the Elo a try, for pretty much every other application the only thing Elo does better is ship units faster than Grasshopper. I could recommend the mivape but I think the Elo is going to have a limited audience and for most people I would say the wait for the Grasshopper is worth it.

Just Justin

@Just Justin I understand you want to see certain vaporizers succeed, however I have noticed from many of the vaporizers you have reviewed that you don't seem nearly as sensitive as some others to plastics and silicones. There is nothing wrong with this, however I think you have to understand that as a community we should really pay attention to those that are sensitive as they may be saving all of our asses at the end of the day by picking up on something that those with less sensitivity don't notice.

Perhaps patience is a silent killer...and why invite it when the standard for a vape at this price has been set so high by it's peers.

@nosmoking Thank you for that point. I will go through all 3 of my reviews and put in some disclaimers saying that these vaporizers contain Silicone and Plastic;" Beware, those who are sensitive to these materials know that they may influence the taste and smell of the vapor." I thought it was fairly obvious that if a vaporizer uses either of these materials, that maybe, just maybe they will have a slight taste or smell attributed to them and that's that. In the case of my reviews, yes, all 3 use silicone but I didn't think (opinion again) that any of them had an issue with overly strong smells/tastes of these materials, so I didn't feel the need to thoroughly mention it, plus I didn't think it was a huge concern for health reasons because these materials are heat safe, just like the ELO.

This "community" needs to realize that I am not stating facts and that I am only trying to share my experience and opinions, so when someone disagrees with me, that's fine, its going to happen but that doesn't give you the right to say I'm somehow less sensitive to this issue when I don't think its an issue, at least from a health perspective. I know others might think its an issue and that's fine, that's your opinion and I love it, I won't call you out for it!

I wish people would stop telling me that I am less sensitive to silicone and plastic or smell blind when you really have no idea. You read other peoples negative experiences and blame me directly when their experience differs from mine, is that my fault? I never said that this vape is 100% pure silicone and plastic smell/taste free, we all know its there, we all now know where its used in the vape, so if you don't like these materials or you think its going to be a problem for you, then use your best judgment and maybe find a different vape that doesn't use these materials. I trust most of the vape companies to put out safe products and I trust Elo and I trust Ken that he and others use materials that may smell a little at first or influence the taste even though they are safe.

You can say I'm less sensitive, fine, well I think other people are overly sensitive to silicone/plastic and exaggerate something that is probably completely harmless, something that will get better and something that is used in a ton of vapes, why? because its heat safe! Maybe, just maybe I am also sensitive to Silicone/Plastic but I fail to see the point to mention the significance of a material we are all familiar with and that we know is used in this vapes, so I figured it was somewhat common sense that if a vape uses silicone, maybe it will have a silicone taste.

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
I definitely think @Just Justin is getting some shit he doesn't deserve. It's cool to get the vape, not like it, and post about it here like some people have. I'm not sure why others feel the need to point fingers at him. It's his opinion about a beta model and he was *absolutely* upfront about plastic/silicone being in it (his second post) and it's in all the videos/pictures. I mean if you don't like vapes with silicone in them don't buy vapes with silicone in them.

Just Justin

@StormyPinkness thank you, I was beginning to think I was crazy and had some warped perspective.

I've got some photos of the New Chip Lid and New Top Seal:

The New Chip Lid Top is slightly indented so you can slide your top screen underneath the end slits so it stays in place so you just clip in your chamber and it makes things so much easier plus its much easier to brush off the screen having that solid metal backing and it will extend the life of the screen as well. I still use a top screen when I use small amounts so it presses the herb down more so it doesn't fly around in the chamber when using the new Lid. New on left, Old on right
elo-826.jpg
elo-827.jpg

The New Top Seal is slightly different and features a little extra lip to seal better around the new Chip Top Lid and it also works just as well with the old version Chip Lid so no need to swap it out.
elo-829.jpg

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I made the gf do a blind test and she agreed that the new device (without silicone in the heater) has clearly less smell than the old one. I confirmed it when doing the empty burn-ins: it smelled mostly of hot metal this time, like what you would expect from a heating appliance. I will do another full discharge worth of burn-ins and I will give this new Elo another try, using the silicone pieces from the previous one (as I already went through the cleaning and soaking process with them)

My previous posts focused on the negative points but to be fair, I think that I need to emphasize the positives:

- It's one of the first (mostly) convection vapes 100% designed and produced in Asia, and it's a much welcome change as the rest of the offering is all conduction.
- The chip mechanism is really nice for those who like to pre-load stuff for their day out. It's a bit of extra work when preparing them, but afterwards swapping them is very fast and easy.
- The vapor-path is completely removable and cleanable, and I really like that fact as long term maintainance is often under-looked by designers. Here you can reclaim easily and make everything look like new when needed.
- It has variable temperature control (but it doesn't get very high for some reason)
- It's sturdy and solid, no glass parts to break.
- There's adequate cooling of the vapor using most of the device height and the retractable mouthpiece.

I'll comment on taste and vapor production later. I'm curious of what others have in mind to improve the vapor/air ratio?

Wizsteve

any one reform the problem? seems pretty simple to fix use the silicone seal to make a clay mold make a few ceramic ones they will break but be cheap and easy to make.

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
I got a refund too and I haven't sent anything to them. That's pretty amazing of them and I'm hoping they tweak the vape a little more. I enjoy it now but with a little more work it could be better. I'm liking this company so far too. Seems like they listen and revise and even refund.

I just got a lilly so I've been neglecting my elo, but I'm out of butane now so I'm going to start trying out the elo again. I did try it out after the 50/50 white vinegar soak and got a not pleasant vinegar taste so I decided to iso soak quick one more time. I should of tried coconut milk instead of vinegar, I just already had the vinegar.

Just Justin

I'm still using the Elo, almost everyday! I've started work on a review but it will be a little while before that's done. It's sad because the new Chip design is really nice and I'm getting some good vapor. My Elo is completely broken in, parts have been used thoroughly, cleaned and soaked again, used some more etc. so any lingering Silicone taste is mostly gone, except towards the ends of my sessions but even so, its not an issue because I can still taste the herb and the vapor is smooth and cool.

Anyone else out there still using there's?

smutman

SmutmanMDCXX
No cause it tastes nothing but silicone and plastic. Also it was a pretty sad vape that's not worth buying to me. It runs to hot to touch and the mouthpiece falls off almost every time I touched it. Only good thing I found about this vape was that the company issued refunds.

Just Justin

@smokey_da_vape your statement is contradictory? You hope its not around because it has unsafe materials? So you don't own other vaporizers that use silicone or plastic?

@smutman one man's janky, is another man's danky. Sutra, Ascent, CFX, CloudV Diamond, Pax, Prima, Guru, Any Flowermate vape or flowermate type, VaporCup, etc....For someone who seems so against and so sensitive to silicone and plastic issues, you sure do own a lot of vaporizers that have silicone and plastic but I'm sure none of those vaporizers have any problems with silicone or plastic smells or tastes, right? To each his own

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Damn I thought my long follow up posts would have cleared the issue: I don't think the materials used are unsafe and I don't know if the silicone smell will stay or go away, but chances are it will go away.

When I raised my concerns about safety it was only about the use of some silicone bonding glue in the heater of a pre-production sample. This silicone is no longer there in production units and as I said in my last post the new heater just smells hot metal now.

The silicone parts of my first unit have little to no smell left after the ISO then soap cleanings. I'm just talking about a smell here, not a safety risk, as I believe them when they say they used food-grade silicone. Exactly like I believe DaVinci when they say the same about the Ascent. Would I prefer another material? Yes, but that's my personal opinion. But I don't think it's unsafe per se.

The chip and heater holder plastic also has a smell, but here again I know it will dissipate, like in the light grey chip I got, it just takes a lot of time. I don't think it's unsafe and it doesn't reach very high temperatures anyways. I just wish they find a better formulation in the future to make it more neutral.

Just Justin

what issue?

I've been using the new top lid / chip with the new seal and I'm getting really nice results. Any one else get the updated top lid / chip, seal?

Top Bottom