Han Solo

Guess which vape I got just before joining
If cooling is that much of an issue, go to a vendor of your choice, buy 5mm*0.5mm stainless steel strip, sand it down a little to make the edges smooth, feed it through your condenser, twist twist twist, take it out and cut to size, sand a little bit more to smoothen, flatten one end a bit to make it stick in the condenser, heat to glow with a torch and then iso bath to get rid of any potential residues, boom you have your own homemade intercooler for less than 10€.

How would one best go about twisting it? Pliers on both ends seems a tad clumsy...

Han Solo,
Reactions: stark1

ChilledAsian

If the omni21 condenser really helps cool down the vapor, maybe dynavap can add the helical condenser without the tip as a standard for all TEDs...

ChilledAsian,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Yeah, I saw @ataxian lurking here too. My hippie radar was pinging loudly.
I READ while medicated 2 a level needed 2-B CIVILIZED?
My cap is barely functional 4 da “M”?

Back when life of a hippie/surfer/stoner was standard behavior COLAS from MEXIco surf trip’s were decent & COLAS made the adventure amazing even if my tribe was hotboxing!

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I doubt I will buy any current models as long as they only come with the captive cap. In fact, I find it insulting that they insist on shipping me the shitty cap that I'll never use, and then expect me to have to buy the proper cap after I've already spent ~$200 on the vape itself which is supposed to already be complete.

I don't want more than the one captive cap I already have in my collection (from my 2020 M), and I DEFINITELY don't want to have to scratch or otherwise aesthetically damage the captive caps just to get them to work properly (by using pliers to crush the captive indention).

It's just ridiculous that they won't give you the option of selecting which cap you want when you order, especially since SO MANY of us hate the captive cap. I'm honestly bummed out by this because I was looking forward to picking up one of the new models. But I guess I'm not going to now. This is bullshit.

Last edited:

sirwalter

I DEFINITELY don't want to have to scratch or otherwise aesthetically damage the captive caps just to get them to work properly (by using pliers to crush the captive indention).

I had the same concern about pliers. I tried using the wood end of a Storz and Bickel brush and just pressed firmly on the bump. The bump is still clearly visible, but it doesn't catch any more on the tip at all. Problem solved, no scratches. Just have to squeeze the cap to have it fit tightly.

The newer caps are a little looser than the old ones (unfortunately in my opinion) but I think its much more functional now without the bump.

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
How would one best go about twisting it? Pliers on both ends seems a tad clumsy...
Excellent question good sir. If you have a vice (vise for the US crowd), then that is one end, pliers the other, and you wanna pull the thing whilst you twist. Alternatively, find a co-conspirator, give them a pair of pliers and let them be the vice. If you can't find one, clumsy it is.

vandalizedbythelotus

Excellent question good sir. If you have a vice (vise for the US crowd), then that is one end, pliers the other, and you wanna pull the thing whilst you twist. Alternatively, find a co-conspirator, give them a pair of pliers and let them be the vice. If you can't find one, clumsy it is.
I remember a while back someone posted a DIY guide on reddit. Got shot down by the hurr durr muh Simrell patents crowd. That's when I learned who invented the helix and possibly DNA

stark1

Lonesome Planet
I doubt I will buy any current models as long as they only come with the captive cap. In fact, I find it insulting that they insist on shipping me the shitty cap that I'll never use, and then expect me to have to buy the proper cap after I've already spent ~$200 on the vape itself which is supposed to already be complete.

I don't want more than the one captive cap I already have in my collection (from my 2020 M), and I DEFINITELY don't want to have to scratch or otherwise aesthetically damage the captive caps just to get them to work properly (by using pliers to crush the captive indention).

It's just ridiculous that they won't give you the option of selecting which cap you want when you order, especially since SO MANY of us hate the captive cap. I'm honestly bummed out by this because I was looking forward to picking up one of the new models. But I guess I'm not going to now. This is bullshit.

@Ramahs , you can simply ask for a regular cap with your order, in lieu of a captive one..

In my experience in the past few years, DV has bent backwards to accomodat requests. YMMV :tup:

Be happy, my friend.

PS The Omni this year should become a keepsake in DV evolution.

Last edited:

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
I remember a while back someone posted a DIY guide on reddit. Got shot down by the hurr durr muh Simrell patents crowd. That's when I learned who invented the helix and possibly DNA
Yeh that post actually inspired me to try it for myself. I mean obviously how the fuck are you gonna claim a twisted piece of metal is worth a patent. Douchebags. Also, I'm in Europe, we don't play by these rules! Also, pro tip, if you have a lotus with the black aluminium stem, those DIY intercoolers will fit. Also, maybe I should make a whole bunch and sell them on the cheap.

snaffle

img_7911.jpg

Exactly- Im referring to this one

Ah, I see. The current Omni (e.g. the one after the one in the photograph) was released in 2017, not 2018, I know because I bought it then.

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
@Ramahs , you can simply ask for a regular cap with your order, in lieu of a captive one..

In my experience in the past few years, DV has bent backwards to accomodat requests. YMMV :tup:

Be happy, my friend.

PS The Omni this year should become a keepsake in DV evolution.
I just shot them an email to inquire about swapping out the captive caps on my mega pack order for regular “non captive” caps. I’ll report back.

I too am not a big fan of the captive cap. Mostly because of heat up differences when compared to older caps but also because of the looseness and the captive nubs are annoying. I own a couple captive caps and my solution is to pinch the digger and opposite side of the digger to tighten the cap. There is enough play in the captive cap that the bulge that pinching creates doesn’t allow for the captive nubs to catch anymore. I would prefer no more captive caps in my life for all of the above reasons.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Yeh that post actually inspired me to try it for myself. I mean obviously how the fuck are you gonna claim a twisted piece of metal is worth a patent. Douchebags. Also, I'm in Europe, we don't play by these rules! Also, pro tip, if you have a lotus with the black aluminium stem, those DIY intercoolers will fit. Also, maybe I should make a whole bunch and sell them on the cheap.

I think that would be a hard patent to obtain considering the patent filed for a twisted tape turbulator itself was abandoned decades ago.

Last edited:

vandalizedbythelotus

I think that would be a hard patent to obtain considering the patent filed for a twisted tape turbulator itself was abandoned decades ago.
also, patent filing does not automatically mean patent holder. in this case the word got thrown around and community pressure made the guy (from Germany?) take down the DIY guide ...

no offence to Simrell, i think the value of his stems stems from and his craftsmanship and art, technological innovation not so much.
same goes for any other rudimentary tech brought over from other applications IMHO, value is in the quality of execution, no amount of patent can take or give that.

sirwalter

Ah, I see. The current Omni (e.g. the one after the one in the photograph) was released in 2017, not 2018, I know because I bought it then.

Both your Omni and the old one I showed in the pic came out in 2017 as far as I know. The old one I showed in that pic was only in 2017 though- just one year. Its often called a 2017 Omni.

Top Bottom