Farid

Some people don't like using unground bud, so a screen is necessary

I've actually been rolling without a screen lately. I still use ground up nug. What i do is i Take a large calyx or piece of sugar trim, ball it up loosly, and drop it in the oven just over the condenser tube. That acts as a a plug, and I can pack ground nug on top of it. Works very well, and doesn't take up as much oven space as a metal screen.

You could probably use a small piece of stem as a plug too. I made the mistake of using a clove to plug the condenser tube once. Sort of how you'd use a glass screen. That was like smoking a kretek.

Kalessin

I've actually been rolling without a screen lately. I still use ground up nug. What i do is i Take a large calyx or piece of sugar trim, ball it up loosly, and drop it in the oven just over the condenser tube. That acts as a a plug, and I can pack ground nug on top of it. Works very well, and doesn't take up as much oven space as a metal screen.

You could probably use a small piece of stem as a plug too. I made the mistake of using a clove to plug the condenser tube once. Sort of how you'd use a glass screen. That was like smoking a kretek.
I mean, personally, if I'm sticking -anything- in there to act as a screen, why wouldn't I use an actual, permanent screen?

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I personally don't understand wanting to forego the screen with flowers, but I think it's awesome that the VapCap is so customizable and versatile. As long as it works for you that's all that matters.

I have replaced all of my screens with CCDs and have noticed performance improvements, especially in the VonG which had a ceramic screen.

I still think the OG performs a little better than the others. I was thinking it was the glass chamber playing a role, but I recently realized the glass condenser is probably playing some role here as well. It seems a bit wider than the SS condenser which may allow for more airflow and better extraction.

I'm convinced that the screen is the "bottleneck" of the extraction process, but there are other variables at play which include overall airflow and also the thermal properties of the condenser and chamber material.

Alexis

I personally don't understand wanting to forego the screen with flowers, but I think it's awesome that the VapCap is so customizable and versatile. As long as it works for you that's all that matters.

I have replaced all of my screens with CCDs and have noticed performance improvements, especially in the VonG which had a ceramic screen.

I still think the OG performs a little better than the others. I was thinking it was the glass chamber playing a role, but I recently realized the glass condenser is probably playing some role here as well. It seems a bit wider than the SS condenser which may allow for more airflow and better extraction.

I'm convinced that the screen is the "bottleneck" of the extraction process, but there are other variables at play which include overall airflow and also the thermal properties of the condenser and chamber material.
Hi. Can I ask where you got your ccd screens? Are you in the US? I see some people say they got some from Ruta, who I believe is in UK where I am. I dont know what the deal is, if he supplies them or just happened to have extras.
And I know George is working on them to fit the Ti models.
Im in no rush for it truthfully, I still cant try my caps until the weekend at least when my homeopathy will finally be done, thank goodness.

My itchy fingers and restless legs are just looking for distractions and avenues to focus on I guess to pass these final days.

Depending how the vapcap trials go, I may well order from George again soon, so I could always ask him for a ccd screen to put in my omnivap.
I got the OG for my mum, so as long as she likes it and wants to adopt it, and I get on well with the vapcaps, I expect I will want my own OG as well as the omni, especially with your feeling that the OG still performs better.

It does make sense though with the extra width condenser, I presume you are using the wide open straight one. It must be easier and safer to clean as well compared to the pippette and turbulated ones.

My neighbour is also very keen on the OG, she will try ours and if all good I will surely ordr for her, and who knows a few other people in line for a tester as well maybe.

I will certainly just give the omni ceramic screen a try first no matter what, but if the ccd really does improve it, I dont see the point in prolonging me getting one to install.

First time I have ever replied to ome of your posts Vapor Eyes, but I do always enjoy reading them and appreciate the way you express yourself, always with valid, relevant and concise imformation articulately expressed, Im sure many others feel the same!

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Hi. Can I ask where you got your ccd screens? Are you in the US? I see some people say they got some from Ruta, who I believe is in UK where I am. I dont know what the deal is, if he supplies them or just happened to have extras.
And I know George is working on them to fit the Ti models.
Im in no rush for it truthfully, I still cant try my caps until the weekend at least when my homeopathy will finally be done, thank goodness.

My itchy fingers and restless legs are just looking for distractions and avenues to focus on I guess to pass these final days.

Depending how the vapcap trials go, I may well order from George again soon, so I could always ask him for a ccd screen to put in my omnivap.
I got the OG for my mum, so as long as she likes it and wants to adopt it, and I get on well with the vapcaps, I expect I will want my own OG as well as the omni, especially with your feeling that the OG still performs better.

It does make sense though with the extra width condenser, I presume you are using the wide open straight one. It must be easier and safer to clean as well compared to the pippette and turbulated ones.

My neighbour is also very keen on the OG, she will try ours and if all good I will surely ordr for her, and who knows a few other people in line for a tester as well maybe.

I will certainly just give the omni ceramic screen a try first no matter what, but if the ccd really does improve it, I dont see the point in prolonging me getting one to install.

First time I have ever replied to ome of your posts Vapor Eyes, but I do always enjoy reading them and appreciate the way you express yourself, always with valid, relevant and concise imformation articulately expressed, Im sure many others feel the same!
I emailed Dynavap about purchasing some spare CCDs. I've learned it never hurts to ask for something in life, you just have to get used to rejection lol.

Dynavap is very receptive to requests in my experience so if you don't see something you want on the site just ask. That's how I got my carbon Omni body too.

The Omni performs really well out of the box (green envelope?), the adjustable airflow helps a lot here. The CCD just gives it a tiny performance boost. I think you'll enjoy the stock Omni a lot.

I probably prefer the Omni overall even though the OG has a slight advantage performance wise. The Omni has the advantage of being nearly indestructible and an adjustable airflow.

Alexis

I emailed Dynavap about purchasing some spare CCDs. I've learned it never hurts to ask for something in life, you just have to get used to rejection lol.

Dynavap is very receptive to requests in my experience so if you don't see something you want on the site just ask. That's how I got my carbon Omni body too.

The Omni performs really well out of the box, the adjustable airflow helps a lot here. The CCD just gives it a tiny performance boost. I think you'll enjoy the stock Omni a lot.

I probably prefer the Omni overall even though the OG has a slight advantage performance wise. The Omni has the advantage of being nearly indestructible and an adjustable airflow.
Thanks for the further clarifiaction. I shan't fret for the moment about sourcing a ccd, I will just wait until i order from George again and mention it then then. If I get my own OG I will probably get some spare condensers too, maybe a set of turbu,ated because a few people now have said they feel it adds something to the vapor production. Just a biggr nuisance to clean I expect, and more fragile.

Yes I can see clearly how accomodating George is to all his customers, and you get the feeling he really doesnt mind doing anything in his power if it makes somebody happy, a really great guy from what I can tell so far.

Im pleased to hear you say how you still prefer your omnivap overall. I think its great also that many highly rate the OG performance wise, but I didnt want to end up feeling like the omnivap is much less satisfying than the OG, I need to justify the purchase for starters!

Farid

I mean, personally, if I'm sticking -anything- in there to act as a screen, why wouldn't I use an actual, permanent screen?

Screens change the airflow. It seems more open without a screen. The more the screen gunks up, the more it slows the airflow. By using a nugplug I feel I get more consistent airflow. I also feel I can pack the oven tighter and still get enough airflow.

I should add my ceramic screen that came with the vapcap broke, so I am doing this in place of using a stainless steel screen. I also do not use a grinder, so I have to break up every bowl pack anyways, so it doesn't take me any more time.

Alexis

Screens change the airflow. It seems more open without a screen. The more the screen gunks up, the more it slows the airflow. By using a nugplug I feel I get more consistent airflow. I also feel I can pack the oven tighter and still get enough airflow.

I should add my ceramic screen that came with the vapcap broke, so I am doing this in place of using a stainless steel screen. I also do not use a grinder, so I have to break up every bowl pack anyways, so it doesn't take me any more time.
I wonder, could you use a bit of hemp fiber instead of a nug?
My bud supply got tiny bug infestations this year, the little buggers! (the real meaning of that well known phrase!)

It has been assorted in jars with the buds that definitely have bugs in separate, but they will be here, there and everywhere. I cant afford to throw it out, it has to last me at least until next August, so I will go through it with jewellers loupe and fine tweezers as I use it.

This factor may affect how I use and load my vapcaps. I certainly dont want to risk bits getting into my mouth, considering what those bits might be! Some have said the ccd screen seemed to eliminate this occurence so I will keep this in mind. I also picked up some hemp fiber with my order, so I could employ that to stop particles.
It will be easier to spot and remove all the bugs if I take the herb apart, so using whole nugs wont always be possible for me so I will certainly not be going screen free for the meantime.

I will experiement though with different grinds, I have just bought a santa cruz 2 piece shredder, which will be very useful for my herborizer even if it turns out to be somewhat redundant for the vapcap.

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@Alexis
I remember reading a while back about someone using the hemp fiber instead of a screen. I see no reason why it would not work. I've started to use small hemp fiber filters with my water pieces because it keeps them much cleaner. Another great tip I learned from FC, this place rocks! :rockon:

Farid

I wonder, could you use a bit of hemp fiber instead of a nug?
My bud supply got tiny bug infestations this year, the little buggers! (the real meaning of that well known phrase!)

It has been assorted in jars with the buds that definitely have bugs in separate, but they will be here, there and everywhere. I cant afford to throw it out, it has to last me at least until next August, so I will go throigh it worth jewellers loupe and fine tweezers as I use it.

This factor may affect how I use and load my vapcaps. I certainly dont want to risk bits getting into my mouth, considering what those bits might be! Some have said the ccd screen seemed to eliminate this occurence so I will keep this in mind. I also picked up some hemp fiber with my order, so I could employ that to stop particles.
It will be easier to spot and remove all the bugs if I take the herb apart, so using whole nugs wont always be possible for me so I will certainly not be going screen free for the meantime.

I would get some bubble bags to filter the bugs and make hash if you're going to attempt to salvage the infested bud. I don't know much about infestation or what it does to the weed, but I know I wouldn't want to vape a bug.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard bubble hash works extremely well in the vapcap.

llamaman001

Well since in getting back in the vape game im splurging a little and decided to go with the vapcap OG (cant beat 35 bucks shipped from puffitup). Any quick tips and tricks anyone can hit me with? Normally id read the entire thread buy I havent had much free time lately

Alexis

I would get some bubble bags to filter the bugs and make hash if you're going to attempt to salvage the infested bud. I don't know much about infestation or what it does to the weed, but I know I wouldn't want to vape a bug.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard bubble hash works extremely well in the vapcap.
The bugs are almost invisble without a loupe. I can almost guarantee we have all vaporized/smoked bugs at some point. I dont know what they are they are very tiny, and all dead of course and sort of turned white, like little skeletons.
I can remove them all if I am really diligent about it. Also, many reckon we eat tons of bugs which get harvested with grains, and ground up. It makes sense im sure it is true. So Im just trying to convince myself that even when I miss a few, it isnt the health hazard one may think, and almost just a part of life.

That said, your reccomendation to make bubble hash is a vry good one, just not practical for me really. I have 65 grams of durban poison, 65 grams of white widow, and 18 grams of think different, of the plants we did which I can tolerate. We did other plants as well, but we trialed organic fertilisers which I am allergic to. The other plants didnt get any bugs really, just my luck, just my ones!

So Im not sure if it would be practical to make hash out of such a small amount, I certai ly wouldnt want want to chuck it all in together (my 3 plants), and lose the variety.

The rest with the fertilisers I am allergic to, there could be an argument there for making bubble out of that to reduce fert residues, but even then it isnt so practical and strightforward as having a big haul of one type of bud. I'll see how things pan out though, thanks for the suggestion.

Well since in getting back in the vape game im splurging a little and decided to go with the vapcap OG (cant beat 35 bucks shipped from puffitup). Any quick tips and tricks anyone can hit me with? Normally id read the entire thread buy I havent had much free time lately
I have been reading the thread from the start. Around about page 75 is where the majoroty of the first production runs shipped out, and many people are discussing their own technique discoveries on the following pages.
It may be worth taking a look.

Sorry, back to back posts just realised. Im still a bit foggy on editing and quoting etc, I'll make sure it doesnt happen again mods!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad Ocelot

I've been using my vapcap exclusively for bubble hash. Works great! though I did have to make a couple slight modifications. I currently have a piece of an S&B liquid pad in there as a spacer & a little slice of screen on top of that. I was putting another piece on top of the hash, but ultimately found that unecessary unless using really small loads. Wanna reconfigure it with some W9 titanium donut screens but haven't had the opportunity yet. I also picked up some of their black ceramic wicks, unsure if those will be of use in the vc yet though. Definitely gonna try them in my DT atty's though.

Alexis

Has to be done.
You will not be sorry or have buyers remorse.
@Alexis Water curing will get rid of bugs and seriously reduce residue. try it with a small amount.
Thanks I would like to try this. I just glance looked it up, I should be able to try a very small amount. I would begin with the plants I cant tolerate and see if it improves the fertiliser allergy, in case it goes wrong and I lose some precious supply.

I would be thrilled if it enables me to tolerate the Auto Night Queen, which had bat guano added to the soil mix.

Kalessin

Another great thing about the CCD, at least the one I've been using the past month or so, is that it doesn't really gunk up. Sometimes little particles will stick in the grooves with mine, but I just run a sharp tool over them and it all comes loose. I haven't had to do anything else to this one the whole time I've been using it. Which is great, cause with my previous setup I had to torch my screen every 4 or 5 days

Last edited:

Vapor Trails

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Carbon OmniVap last night, and Saturday night I ordered an OG. They'll be here on Wednesday! I couldn't resist the Carbon Omni. I think I'm way more excited than I should be. Haha!

Since I haven't used butane for vaping before, I'm a bit nervous of consistency of how the vape will vaporize from one session to another. So, I am just curious...do the VapCaps really take much of a learning curve, or is it quickly learned, and most importantly how consistent are the AVB tones? It looks straight forward and fool proof with the click, Im curious if anyone has really had any hard time with it. I'm just excited and looking for reassurance since I'll be tinkering with them all day Wednesday, lol

Kalessin

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Carbon OmniVap last night, and Saturday night I ordered an OG. They'll be here on Wednesday! I couldn't resist the Carbon Omni. I think I'm way more excited than I should be. Haha!

Since I haven't used butane for vaping before, I'm a bit nervous of consistency of how the vape will vaporize from one session to another. So, I am just curious...do the VapCaps really take much of a learning curve, or is it quickly learned, and most importantly how consistent are the AVB tones? It looks straight forward and fool proof with the click, Im curious if anyone has really had any hard time with it. I'm just excited and looking for reassurance since I'll be tinkering with them all day Wednesday, lol
I would say there is little to no learning curve as far as not combusting. Respect the click and all will be well. May take a bit to get used to where to place the flame to get your exact preferred extraction, but I don't remember seeing anyone have real problems with it as long as they could hear normally. As far as consistency of the ABV, I find it effortless to get perfectly extracted ABV, I never even need to stir

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art

Wednesday, wow that's fast! I have been tempted by the carbon body for my Omni, but I am having to hold off since I ordered a double crown blackwood body when I placed my order for the Omni. It's beautiful! Both the Omni and my OG perform flawlessly.

I was apprehensive about the butane also, since the only butane lighter I had ever used was to light the grill, and it's a wimpy lighter. However, I got over my fear, and now really enjoy it. The VCs are fun and effective!

Top Bottom