natural farmer

So lastnight I used my M and on the third and last hit I had a huge cloud, but this time it really irritated my throat. It kinda surprised me as again I normally take big puffs from a dugout and one hitter and have no issues with harshness or hits hurting my throat. This lasted for about 10 min and it sucked. Do I just need to slow down my pull or take smaller hits? I would like to try a water piece as well, but dont want to HAVE to use one every time. I know I have only used this like 3-4 times now and will continue to try different things to get the best experience.
Vapor is definitely harsher than smoke.... Except from using a water tool you can use "mouth to lung" pulls, like sucking on a thick milkshake or a dense cigar, using your chicks and tongue to create negative pressure and then opening your lips a bit and allow some fresh air to move the vapor lower to your respiratory tract. I usually take from 4 to 10 such pulls to get a lung-full, depends on your technic! Minimal irritation this way! And better taste for me!

PeteSeattle

Vapor is definitely harsher than smoke.... Except from using a water tool you can use "mouth to lung" pulls, like sucking on a thick milkshake or a dense cigar, using your chicks and tongue to create negative pressure and then opening your lips a bit and allow some fresh air to move the vapor lower to your respiratory tract. I usually take from 4 to 10 such pulls to get a lung-full, depends on your technic! Minimal irritation this way! And better taste for me!

For the longest time I had never used a water piece becase I preferred the J style vaping ... until recently. I put it off as a novelty until I tried it. It really does help ... and interesting to see a vape white wall a rig. Since my discovery I haven't used my EVO much.

But going back to the harshness I do get that effect too. So I start out (if you have a water attachment) with the first taste by mouth and finish the rest through water (if that made sense)

@InterplanetaryTanner i couldn't agree more @Arielle.Dynavap has been stellar.

jedcaum

So I got my omivap, and I do enjoy it. It's just not exactly what I thought.

So going by the description;

"infinitely adjustable air/vapor ratio easily dialed in by simply twisting the mouthpiece."

I thought by adjustable you can choose less and more air but, the condenser I have(assuming their not all like this) sticks out further than the condensers in any of my ti/woody configurations with it screwed all the way into the mp. This is my only gripe as every configuration with my Omni MP is incredibly restricted based on my preference. My only option is to leave my mp hanging out just before the first o-ring pops out.

You aren't using your Omni correctly. Lefty will restrict the airflow by unthreading the condenser and the mouthpiece, making the assembly longer and pushing the condenser further into the tip. Righty will shorten the assembly, and pull the end of the condenser tube away from the tip.

Both are predicated on keeping the mouthpiece FLUSH against the body, with no O-rings exposed. This is the part you are doing wrong. You must keep the mouthpiece in place, or the condenser won't move as it's supposed to.

GeeWhiz

So I got my omivap, and I do enjoy it. It's just not exactly what I thought.

So going by the description;

"infinitely adjustable air/vapor ratio easily dialed in by simply twisting the mouthpiece."

I thought by adjustable you can choose less and more air but, the condenser I have(assuming their not all like this) sticks out further than the condensers in any of my ti/woody configurations with it screwed all the way into the mp. This is my only gripe as every configuration with my Omni MP is incredibly restricted based on my preference. My only option is to leave my mp hanging out just before the first o-ring pops out.
Yeah what Jedcaum said. after you twist the mouthpiece you have to make sure that it is fully pushed into the body. I did not understand this for weeks and finally got it. turn.. then make sure you push at both ends to be sure it is inserted fully. This cuts off the airflow as the condenser gets closer and closer to the tip with each turn of the mouthpiece.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
... using your chicks and tongue to create negative pressure....

:cool:

Sorry, but have to laugh at your typo. I often create negative pressure using chicks and my tongue and have for years since long before vaping! Sometimes they just don't like what I have to say, or how I say it. Hell, these days just calling one a "chick" usually creates a good bit of negative pressure.

Dr. Freud, paging Dr. Freud. :rofl:

Thanks for the chuckle. Hope you don't mind.

hinglemccringleberry

Advise you don't stick your torch in the freezer to get a little more fill space for safety sake. Probably best to have a little bit of air in there - 10 -20% - whatever a fill from a good can of butane gives you after purging. This is from the butane lighter thread here on FC some time ago (not VC jet thread, one of the other old torch lighter threads - think it was this one but may be another). If you overfill with pressure beyond what the seals on these cheap lighters can hold, it could lead to all sorts of problems besides the simple ones like leaks and premature lighter death. And, if you're freezing to fit more butane then letting lighter sit at room temp or higher - you're overfilling/over pressurizing the tank!

Think most of us get comfortable with butane with so much use (maybe a little too comfortable?), but it is nothing you want to lose respect for. IMO it's just not worth it to fill that other 5 - 8% of the chamber. A leaky seal when lighting could lead to anything from an unexpected handful of flame to a full explosion. Unlikely, but why make things more dangerous and put more stress on your torch to top off a bit more when you're going to be refilling soon either way?

IME a good fill will give you the same flame on the same setting when properly filled. If you freeze first, you also usually have to turn it down for a bit at first, then adjust back up after you get to "normal" fill level. A good jet torch shouldn't need much adjustment once you have it where you want it. When it needs a filling flames will sputter or not light, and you may be able to adjust flames up to get a few more heats. But, I find it better to switch to another lighter at this point and refill the first one next time I'm back to my butane. Better to turn it all the way down for refill, then back to point it works best for you before lighting. Every lighter I have (10 or so?) does well with this method.

I picked up one of DVs 3x jet Vertigo lighters with last order. Really like it! Works like a champ on nearly every click, visible tank, easy fill with easy adjustment. Just wish there was a 2 jet available that was exactly the same. Haven't been able to find one anywhere. I prefer a 2 jet, but use these 3 jets on cap most of the time, or leave the 3rd one out in front so not quite heating. Wastes a bit of butane I'm sure (probably a bit less than 30% with front of tip getting a little heat), but works as well or better than any of my 2 jets.

IME some lighters need more burping/purging than others - as in both different models and different lighters of the same model. This one seems to be doing well so far without much. Others do better with a good clear of all air before every fill. Burp and fill as described above by others for best results. If you do this and are still having problems, working the lighter after it settles from refill (5 mins) can help work out issues. Just light repeatedly for a few seconds. Get it going well for 4 or 5 lights in a row. Let it cool for 5 minutes and repeat. 3 or 4 of these short sessions can make a big change - especially if you were using crappy butane. I think because you clear out every bit of residue from whatever problems are in the tank, and it burns off any light crud on the jets.

If burped, good butane, and still not doing well after working it like this - check for good spark from igniter. IME this is where you usually have failure that leaves the lighter unusable. Actually should check for this BEFORE refill of any that are being very problematic. Not hard to do in the dark. You should see a good blue spark with every click. If you don't - it's probably time to replace the lighter - or the ignitor if you're up for that sort of thing. IMO not worth the hassle for something so cheap. I just trash them when the ignitor dies.

If you have a good blue spark, clean the jets. I use a small brass brush (like a toothbrush). It doesn't take much, but you want to concentrate on the ends of the jets themselves and try to stay away from the little ignitor. They usually won't hold up to much abuse. I go dry with the brass brush working it a little back and forth in each direction, then little circles around each jet, then in and out to try to have bristles clean the actual little holes. Tamp on to a paper towel or something on a hard surface. Continue until you don't have any black bits (carbon) while tamping. Sometimes this will bring a nearly dead and very annoying one back to life. Sometimes not.

Funny, my experience has been exactly the opposite with Gen 4 Ti tips and my 6 month or so old OMNI. You're using stock VC body? Maybe DV adjusted the condenser length due to reports from me and others of this problem? I've been able to adjust my MP off the threads inside for no air - or use a Gen 3 or lower Ti tip for expected results. So, I'm good. Not sure how else besides what you're doing to get more air.

FWIW, I'd like to mention again that when I brought this up here in FC a while back, George himself sent me an IM offering to do whatever he could to make it right. I ended up with workarounds I found here and figured out, so am all good. But, how cool is it - and how about that customer service - for George to see my post and contact me personally? Fucking LOVE George and DV!!!! :tup: :clap: :luv:
I honestly never knew this; I was just regurgitating what I learned from visiting several webpages and a few youtube vids on general tips for lighter filling/maintenance - I never saw a mention about this. All I saw were people describing the usefulness of putting it in the freezer, and didn't find anything about how doing so is dangerous and shouldn't be done. So i guess i'll stop doing that. Thanks for clearing up the misinformation I was drawing from.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
those who purchased magnets from other places than dynavap, what did you order? selection of diametrically magnetized magnets is quite lacking compared to axially...
I got a really big one early on for my table as I often keep my DynaStash in the glove box, and it is a great example of the wrong kind of magnet.
9IuqojO.jpg

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Thank you bud - I've updated the resource 'Butane Quality / Lighter Refuelling Technique' and noted you as the information contributor.

Thank you! I feel so special. :D

I honestly never knew this; I was just regurgitating what I learned from visiting several webpages and a few youtube vids on general tips for lighter filling/maintenance - I never saw a mention about this. All I saw were several articles on the usefulness of putting it in the freezer, and not one about how doing so is dangerous and shouldn't be done.

I sometimes froze mine before I read not to. Don't know if it was related to this or not, but I lit a butane torch with a leaky fill valve a few years back. The handful of butane flame I'm talking about was quite a wake-up call! That was an an older cheap torch that had been frozen a couple times, but not for at least a few fills before this incident. I dropped it and it went out with luckily no burns other than singing all the fine hair on the back of my hand, but really freaked me out. I still listen to the fill ports on my torches on a regular basis to be sure it doesn't happen again.

But, hope any who freeze their lighters think about it. You freeze to compress the butane and create a cooler space to fit more butane in. If it's going to stay in the freezer, probably not a problem. You've set it up to be fully pressurized at that temp. But, it's not going to be as cold once you take it out of the freezer. So, you've taken it out of the environment that you've pressurized for. Warmer gas (air and butane) will create more pressure putting more strain on seals and the whole lighter. More than spec'd? I'm not sure but feel better not trying to find that level. This is before you put it in a warm pocket, have it in a warm car or just in a sunny room.

YouTube and the interwebs are great sources of info. But, not always the most reliable and certainly not the safest!

Here's a vid that shows pretty much what happened to me - a butane fireball in hand - in spite of the video name. Imagine what it would be like if the tank actually did explode!

Last edited:

xlr8shun

I am saying that the VC will only stick to the edges or the outer edges of the flat. You may decide what the implications of that are... :cool:
hrm.. can you explain why the dynastash magnets do not behave this way? there are multiple pictures of the vapcap sitting in the middle of the dynastash magnet.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Man, I really like magnets and always have. I even have a DV magnet on the side of my fridge to hold my VC while cooking or doing whatever in the kitchen.

But, would it be possible to move all the magnet discussion to a separate thread? Maybe just me, but seems to really add unnecessarily to an already fast moving and hard to keep up with thread. And truthfully, my opinion on it is buy a goddamned DynaMag for $5 or get over it.

Just a suggestion. Thanks for letting me vent. :)

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
hrm.. can you explain why the dynastash magnets do not behave this way? there are multiple pictures of the vapcap sitting in the middle of the dynastash magnet.
I wish I could. When I bought the magnet I had yet to read anything about diametrically or axially magnetized magnets and it was a complete shock when my cap stayed to the edges. It was obviously not what I was after. While I can use the side edge to remove a hot cap it is NOT very convenient. If my magnet were not so broad it might work better, but I will buy another if I can figure out what to get to do what I want. And I certainly won't buy one as thick. If I put this flat against that computer sidewall, the only way to pull it off is to slide it. The force holding it is pretty great.

hinglemccringleberry

Thank you! I feel so special. :D

Do as you like. I'm probably not going to be nearby if you get a handful of butane flame, or have one blow up. I sometimes froze mine before I read not to. Don't know if it was related to this or not, but I lit a butane torch with a leaky fill valve a few years back. The handful of butane flame I'm talking about was quite a wake-up call! That was an an older cheap torch that had been frozen a couple times, but not for at least a few fills before this incident. I dropped it and it went out with luckily no burns other than singing all the fine hair on the back of my hand, but really freaked me out. I still listen to the fill ports on my torches on a regular basis to be sure it doesn't happen again.
uhm, I never said I was going to continue putting my lighters in the freezer...did you not read my response to you?

Last edited:

xlr8shun

I wish I could. When I bought the magnet I had yet to read anything about diametrically or axially magnetized magnets and it was a complete shock when my cap stayed to the edges. It was obviously not what I was after. While I can use the side edge to remove a hot cap it is NOT very convenient. If my magnet were not so broad it might work better, but I will buy another if I can figure out what to get to do what I want. And I certainly won't buy one as thick. If I put this flat against that computer sidewall, the only way to pull it off is to slide it. The force holding it is pretty great.

thanks for your insight, i do appreciate it.. i'll go google more and figure it out myself, evidently some people dont like magnet talk around here

Last edited:

CanadianBakin

I also noticed this with my pre-order Omni. I posted some photos in this post. Did you get yours recently, or was it also a pre-order?

FWIW, the Omni XL I recently received is much less restricted, and feathering the carb comes back into play at the loosest setting. Here's a quick comparison of it with a Vong XLS.

IQwMDwc.jpg

Here's the relevant photo from my earlier post.

TGz4WhC.jpg

I ordered a regular Omni condenser/mp during the sale, should be here this week.

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
uhm, I never said I was going to continue putting my lighters in the freezer...did you not read my response to you?

Didn't mean to offend, and didn't get from your post what you meant. Probably my own buzzed fault! Hopefully my quick edit above will alleviate any perceived ill-will.

All good I hope, and glad to hear you won't be putting in the freezer anymore if that's what you're saying here. Also, sorry I missed your edit to your other post. Was responding to what you wrote initially.

Given what we are using the magnets for I think this IS the right place to discuss them. I think a DynaVap magnet thread would be kinda silly.

Please let us know what you find out. I really do want one for my table that works as expected.

Silly like a separate jet torch thread? Which I'd like to point out is probably a bit more useful/necessary for effective VC use than a magnet.

I get what you're saying about it being silly to add a new thread, but I feel like it is kind of silly to continue to go over the physics of magnetism through the middle of this overwhelmed thread. There is a forum section for "Vapor Related Equipment" that I feel may be more appropriate.

Yes, I realize that at the same time I'm adding more (probably) unnecessary posts making the request for a separate thread! :ugh:

No worries... I'm done. Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

natural farmer

:cool:

Sorry, but have to laugh at your typo. I often create negative pressure using chicks and my tongue and have for years since long before vaping! Sometimes they just don't like what I have to say, or how I say it. Hell, these days just calling one a "chick" usually creates a good bit of negative pressure.

Dr. Freud, paging Dr. Freud. :rofl:

Thanks for the chuckle. Hope you don't mind.

Man, I probably had a harder laugh than you!!! Thank YOU in return!!! Not even gonna edit it! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Top Bottom