Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
Where have you placed the fmj on the cap,?? I was struggling but now I have put the fmj lower down slightly over lapping the digger outer so the fmj is away from the caps clicker...I'm getting much better results now.
I only keep the fmj even with the bottom so far. avb is lighter than a reg full extraction Dynavap session but it is fully extracted. if you scroll up a bit I posted my first session and show avb after one hit and it looks a little light and I say so in the vid but when I go back for a second hit I get nothing for vapour, didn't show the final avb, struggled getting the cap off but it was dark coffee bean brown. avb is basically the same as my Vrod enail if I leave the head on the bowl to heat soak for a bit of conduction for one hitters, in fact if I take the 1 hit done avb from my fmj and put it in the Vrod bowl I also got no vapour at 575 on the pid.

Farid

Here's a wrench in the conversation: How does does the tightness of the pack influence convection/conduction? Weed is fluffy and full of air. The tighter you pack it, the less air.

If I pack very loose, I'm able to go past the click more and not risk combustion. Some of this is because the looser pack allows more airflow, which cools the bowl quicker. Another element is that with a tighter pack, there is more contact between the bud and the walls of the tip. This means that more bud is being heated directly, and less air is being heated. Generally when we think of convection, we think of the mass of incoming air being heated before it contacts the herb. But what about local convection which happens right at the boundary layer, inside of the tip. I think this is something that we often overlook, since weed is not a solid mass, but rather a fluffy mix, full of air.

I would argue this is probably a greater source of convection in comparison to the air that is heated as it travels through the helical grooves. Also, with a loose pack, the bud moves around when you take a hit, leading to less direct contact with the walls.

This is probably something which could use it's own thread though.

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
so far I usually straw pack, especially for the fmj since the hit is so long and I take it in one go. use to be a stab and twister but I like the airflow better with straw packing and since my 19 doesn't have the half bowl and I'm a micro doser I want to get the minimum in the bowl but I do want it full enough that it functions the way I want, never had much luck partial packing and evenness.

Bad Dog,

StringTheorista

I'm the odd one out!
I still get consistently better results WITHOUT the FMJ on all 14 of my tips by heating low on the cap.
The FMJ takes too long to heat for lesser results plus the fact that you still have to heat past the click to get a 1 hit extraction so I really don't see the point - still easy money for Austin with another unnecessary accessory - the best thing he has made is the Masterkey which works perfectly.
To me it’s so much about what kind of hit someone is looking for. I’m generally not looking to extract all in one, nor for super dark AVB. I look for flavor and lighter effects. Also, I don’t trust the FMJ to stay on if the vapcap is tilted down, and the potential burn if it falls is much worse than a normal cap, so i’m only using it with glass. It gave me good hits, and being able to take my time was pleasant. But I much prefer to use my vapcaps natively, not in glass, So I doubt I will use the FMJ very frequently, once the novelty wears off.
Also agree with you about the master key.

ezpz

Before my fmj came, it was strictly IH (psm). I have a difficult time spinning my DV, so torching was a PITA. Fmj lets me enjoy the benefits of torching, without too much fuss. Instead of 4 heat cycles, I can finish the load with two. Instead of puffing the shit out of the M (like a crackhead:lol:), I can leisurely hit it, and still get thick clouds, even more so mimicking a joint-like hit. No more worrying about charging my IH, butane torch takes like 5 seconds to refill. Aomai torch has an on/off switch, making torching even easier. Even in light winds, you can torch and get an even roast.

So for me, it was $10 well spent.

HyDrOpOnIc1987

Just got my FMJ yesterday... wow. That. Thing. Slaps! Took about an hour toget the hang of. Minor learning curve, but very easy to use. The hardest part for me was to find what part of the flame should touch the FMJ, or even IF the flame should touch. From what i saw, yes, it does touch. The lighter part of the flame should come in contact with the copper to make a small shiny circle that covers the "S" on the FMJ. Just figured i would throw this here in case anyone else had a hard time working that part out.

coolbreeze

Just got my FMJ yesterday... wow. That. Thing. Slaps! Took about an hour toget the hang of.
Did you have a 2020? When I was fuckin around testing I got my lightest results from that tip. I haven't gone back yet to dial it in, but I wonder if you've had to adjust?

coolbreeze,

HyDrOpOnIc1987

Did you have a 2020? When I was fuckin around testing I got my lightest results from that tip. I haven't gone back yet to dial it in, but I wonder if you've had to adjust?
2021 SS tip. Only one i have though so i havent been able to test others. I know @Bad Dog has a couple different tips, not sure if one is the 20 though

I have a replacement tip and cap coming direct from DV but theyre going to be the 2021 ones. My AzuriuM tip started flaking blue metal paint just from heating. Still flakes a bit occassionally, but i hit it with steel wool to get any flakes off when i notice any on my finger. Doesnt happen much anymore since i did the steel wool thing lol

Also, sorry to the mods! I noticed i accidentally made a second post after making one. If it can be consolidated into one, i would appreciate it!

HyDrOpOnIc1987

I have nothing to compare to, but i def can get full 1 hit extraction without combusting, using my 21 tip and captive cap. Just for curiosity sake, i may hunt down an older tip and cap to do some experiments of my own. But thats more of a future endeavor for me, as i already have my plate full with a few vape reviews i have to make and post on ECF lol

Also, tyvm for merging my previous 2 posts. Appreciate it!

coolbreeze

VonG tip set to half+FMJ=
Good Food Wow GIF by For(bes) The Culture

Duba

Accessory Maker
Reading you all, i'm curious to test the FMJ, if it can help to kill the bowl in one hit without a lot of technique, without to have to think about it during the process, it would be great! Mine is on the road!
i hope it'll work great with my 2018 ss tip !?

Is the captive cap necessary as Austyn said?

Last edited:

My_50p_worth

Same!

Let’s go back to the golden days of complaining about craptive caps and lusting after the 19m ;)

Jokes aside the FMJ has sparked so much interesting discussion both here and on the Anvil thread. I’ve learnt a lot listening to the more knowledgeable people and hearing their takes.

Would be awesome to have it all collated somewhere as it’s great educational information

Last edited:

HyDrOpOnIc1987

Reading you all, i'm curious to test the FMJ, if it can help to kill the bowl in one hit without a lot of technique, without to have to think about it during the process, it would be great! Mine is on the road!
i hope it'll work great with my 2018 ss tip !?

Should work good with ur tip as far as i know. If you dont use a captive cap, the weight of the FMJ will pull the cap off if you tip it upside down at all. Thats why its recomended to use a captive. But, @Bad Dog has been using his FMJ on a plain cap as its easier to remove for a quick second hit. So as long as you're aware of the potential dangers of the hot cap flying off your stem if tipped upside down at all, you'll be fine :) just be careful lol

Also, from what I've heard, the 18 SS tip is one of the better ones to use with the FMJ.

Last edited:

StringTheorista

I suspect that it has more to do with worries about the cap not staying on the device, when it is now a superheated cap. Not that it wouldn’t work on non-captive, but that the OG cap might be more likely to fall off and seriously injure someone. Dynabrands are cute and all, but this could do so much more damage

Top Bottom