lookhigh

FC member
Hey guys.
Let me start by asking, does everyone's cap & tip look like this? I've managed to clean the cap a bit more than shown in the picture, but it feels like i've overdone it with regular flame back when i didn't have the proper equipment yet?

I'm always cleaning with isopropanol, and this is the state it's in from before i begun to do so.

Are there any sensible solutions for cleaning this, to make it look brand-new-ish?

In this video the guy uses whink rust stain remover, and it restores the titanium from being anodized, and then anodizes it as i plan to do with the parts after cleaning.
as i'm from EU, the product he uses is not in reach, but i'm looking for an alternative of sorts?
I've looked into it and i see it uses HF acid (i'm a chemist so don't try to teach me about it ty <3)
any safer alternatives?

what do you guys do, if in fact it is restorable?

36542610_1747801025313973_2173317455378644992_n.jpg
Looks used like it should.
Now what was the question?

JerryBond

Looks used like it should.
Now what was the question?
Oh okay then. I was wondering how it looked used for a year, as it's always marketed brand new.
Original question was if yours looked the same, because i had second thoughts, thinking mine would look this way from overheating or carbon from regular flame (candle, normal lighter...)

JerryBond,
Reactions: Lady V

almost there

Oh okay then. I was wondering how it looked used for a year, as it's always marketed brand new.
Original question was if yours looked the same, because i had second thoughts, thinking mine would look this way from overheating or carbon from regular flame (candle, normal lighter...)
My tip can look like your’s or it can be relatively new looking depending on effort. I’ve found a firm brush like the ones that come with vaporizers dipped in baking soda and a bit of time can do a great deal in scrubbing off soot and dark carbon stains. I usually follow it up with another session of scrubbing with toothpaste to give it a nice sparkle. With the cap I just give it an iso rub down with a wet Q-Tip, I don’t mind the war wounds one bit

JerryBond

My tip can look like your’s or it can be relatively new looking depending on effort. I’ve found a firm brush like the ones that come with vaporizers dipped in baking soda and a bit of time can do a great deal in scrubbing off soot and dark carbon stains. I usually follow it up with another session of scrubbing with toothpaste to give it a nice sparkle. With the cap I just give it an iso rub down with a wet Q-Tip, I don’t mind the war wounds one bit

Could you post pictures of both, and perhaps name the toothpaste? :)
I've actually managed to clean in somewhat better with coconut vinegar, then scrubbed with degumified hemp from dyna. it's not too bad anymore really, just wandering if there's a magic substance like in the original post video that would quickly restore it :)
I guess the cap is as it is, not to be messed with in this way, but the cap might be alright.

JerryBond,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I don't clean my caps at all. I would find it a waste of time/effort as after a couple uses it would look used again. Even with my JarHead (IH) it starts discoloring after the first usage.
The good news is that how it looks has virtually nothing to do with how it performs.

I do still have one unused laser etched cap I use for dress, but I never heat it.

JerryBond

Good answers :) Glad I'm not alone hehe
I think it's wise to clean the insides of the cap, I still have to see how much will stick to its back end after a single and later more uses, but before the 2day cleaning with vinegar it had countless dark spots, buildup probably. Wouldn't want to reheat that over and over...

JerryBond,

Hippie

A mild abrasive like toothpaste, brasso, jewelers rouge ... and some elbow grease, appied with a magic eraser will make it shine again.
Make sure you give it a damned good rinse afters to be sure you've washed away all the teeny tiny bits you've just cleaned off as you don't want to be inhaling that stuff ;)

needalift

Made this glass Omni sleeve the other day and figured it was worth a quick video on how the internals work.
Love this idea !! @phattpiggie always stepping up your game .
What the fuck are you lot talking about??

:leaf:

My sentiments exactly . The inside of my cap never looks dirty . And I love the look of the outside . That patina adds character.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
If there's a thin layer of something that appears to be brown gunk buildup, I don't think burning it over and over is a good idea.
If there is a "thin layer of something" on the inside of your cap than it is coming from your goods. I don't think that is likely a problem as we are all here TO CONSUME OUR GOODs. At least that is why I am here, to find new and interesting ways to consume my goods and to see how others do it.

If you are doing concentrates and they are spilling out in your cap than you should probably find a different way to use them (Like for example if you are using an IH, have the receiver horizontal or even better, pointing down), but other than that I can imagine no reason why you might need to clean out your cap. There is certainly no reason for ME to do so using only flower.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
If you want to save a little you can get the steel CCDs, but you should have some CCDs as backups. I don't think it matters much which you use, but I tend to use steel in the steel tip and Ti in the Ti tip. At least one of each are hiding somewhere in my carpet...

Added: George suggests using "a que tip soaked in cleaning solution" if "you get some gunk inside your cap".

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
@DDaveI selected the steel tip option. What's that for? Can it only fit one tip or the other? Thank you

Finding the ti tips MAY be slightly smaller than the SS. Also, there's a diff between the black vs. grey orings.

I have a thread right now in the medical section, to go along w/ that a simple question. For micro dosing, is it worth upgrading to the TI tip on the M? Or is it just as easy to take 1-2 pulls from the M standard SS, and go back to it if need be? Thanks

It's just as easy to pull from the ss as the ti. It's just that the ti cools down faster so less waiting time between hits &, therefore, less heat/conduction affecting your weed.

IntoTheVoid

Pride Goeth Before A Fall
Extraction will be more complete on the SS tip earlier on. More conduction helps to retain the heat longer. The new SS Tip from the M18 is phenomenal. I like it more than my Ti tips. Airflow on the M18 tip is about on par with the Ti tips. The big downside being the longer time between heat cycles. It all depends on your consumption expectations. The Ti tip will conserve the bud longer so that might be better if you want more cycles out of a full chamber.

Also regardless of SS or Ti, adjustability is almost a non-issue with the screen. You can put a few crumbs into a full chamber and it will vape the same as if you reduce the chamber on the Ti tip. I think the adjustment is only really useful for a “measured” dose. But you can just pinch some in a full chamber and it’s fine.

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
Extraction will be more complete on the SS tip earlier on. More conduction helps to retain the heat longer.

True, but for those of use who only microdose a couple of hits & don't finish the bowl, the ti will cool down faster, thus not continuing to cook your herb so when you come back to hit the same load again, there will be more left to extract. Personally, to me, it's 6 of 1, 1/2-dozen of the other as it's so negligible. The reason I like the ss tip is for using through water. I want the tip to stay hotter longer as my draws are longer to make up for less (direct harsh) potency through this medium.

Last edited:

IntoTheVoid

Pride Goeth Before A Fall
True, but for those of use who only microdose a couple of hits & don't finish the bowl, the ti will cool down faster, thus not continuing to cook your herb so when you come back to hit the same load again, there will be more left to extract. Personally, to me, it's 6 of 1, 1/2-dozen of the other as it's so negligible. The reason I like the ss tip is for using through water. I want the tip to stay hotter longer as my draws are longer to make up for less (direct) potency through the medium.
I have yet to try my M with water. That’s on my list. I just go closed carb and direct lung pull from click to click. I imagine it’s way smoother with water lol

Summer

Long Island, NY
↑ Way smoother with water so I can get bigger hits. I do part mouth or mouth & lung pull combos. If the cap clicks between 23 - 25 seconds (without drawing; obviously with drawing, more cooling, so it clicks sooner), I can do click to clicks draws, but if it's one of my caps that click without drawing around the 40 sec. mark, no way.

Top Bottom