KidFated.

Unknown Member
I just have the 2017 M tip that I filed. Do i want the newer M tip, or the Ti tip?
maybe it'd be nice to have it cool down faster, so a Ti tip? But some people coming from the SS tips have been disappointed with the Ti. And I'm not sure I want to go through more heating cycles.
Honestly the 18m tip is pretty fuckin amazing.......... but ti is nice for the cool down time. I'm not so worried about heat up time usually.

KidFated.

Unknown Member
I don’t have a 17M so I can’t be sure, but shouldn’t airflow on a filed down 17M have closer airflow to a Ti tip than an 18M tip?

I’d be afraid the 18M would still feel too restricted to a filed-17M user.
Yeah the 18m does have decent airflow with the double helix, but not as good as a filed 17m or ti. Could always file if needed but I haven't with my 18 yet, I like it..

Skunkport

My 18M tip was completely useless until I filed it, there was literally NO air flow at all. I tried moving the cap out a bit and it just sucked straight back up against the tip.
The end of the M18 tip is completely flat, so when the flat end of the cap is against it and held in place by you sucking at it, there's nowhere for any air to get, the helix does nothing.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I LOVE my '18 M. I use it almost every day, and I think the airflow is perfect.

I'm getting a couple of SS tips to put in my @DDave Water Wands because I like the '18 M so much.
I got the 18M tip recently but haven't tried it yet. I think it's gonna go in a @DDave wand when it gets here. Have none of you filed it? Many seem to be happy with it au naturel...

Skunkport

You guys who haven't filed your M tips, is the end of the tip that sits against the cap completely flat on yours?
Mine was, so when I sucked on it, the cap was sucked up flush and formed a seal, like putting a flat piece of metal over the end of a vacuum cleaner if that makes it clearer.

Maybe my cap is looser than it should be, so it pulls up against the tip and seals instead of staying a little out?

Something's got to be different about yours than mine I'm sure, it just makes no mechanical sense tome otherwise, the harder I sucked, the harder the cap was pulled up to the tip and the tighter it was sealed lol.

kuzko

You guys who haven't filed your M tips, is the end of the tip that sits against the cap completely flat on yours?
Mine was, so when I sucked on it, the cap was sucked up flush and formed a seal, like putting a flat piece of metal over the end of a vacuum cleaner if that makes it clearer.

Maybe my cap is looser than it should be, so it pulls up against the tip and seals instead of staying a little out?

Something's got to be different about yours than mine I'm sure, it just makes no mechanical sense tome otherwise, the harder I sucked, the harder the cap was pulled up to the tip and the tighter it was sealed lol.

Mine look flat but if I look very closely they have slight grooves where the spirals reach the top. It is very slight so hard to see but definitely there.

Skunkport

Mine was flat as a pancake, the spirals didn't actually reach the top. At the top it was chamfered inward and that was flat.
Looking at mine now, the spirals don't all reach the bottom either, it looks like they're just not machined quite deep enough?

Yeah they don't reach, I just got my 60x microscope on the spirals at the fins end of the tip, only 2 of the 6 spiral cuts actually reach through the chamfer at that end.

Last edited:

kuzko

Mine was flat as a pancake, the spirals didn't actually reach the top. At the top it was chamfered inward and that was flat.
Looking at mine now, the spirals don't all reach the bottom either, it looks like they're just not machined quite deep enough?

Yeah they don't reach, I just got my 60x microscope on the spirals at the fins end of the tip, only 2 of the 6 spiral cuts actually reach through the chamfer at that end.

Perhaps you received a defective tip. I just checked mine and spirals go from bottom to top. I would contact DV about yours. I would post pics but imgur doesn’t seem to be working on FC right now.

Vaporware

The grooves on mine do just reach the end, but there’s no real break in the top rim for the air to actually come through...maybe that’s why I felt the 18M tip was so much more restricted than the Ti tip, just a manufacturing defect?

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
A couple of places I like to stick it.
nannerfuck2.gif

x6ekgp.jpg

2199yyw.jpg

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I recently got a Jarhead IH from @Pipes and I've been enjoying the fine grind from my GR8TR with my omni xl. First rate extraction and vapor production as if that was even possible to improve on the XL. I haven't gone back and tried the fine grind with a torch to see if it's just as good.

Forgive me if this is common knowledge; I'm new.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Perhaps you received a defective tip. I just checked mine and spirals go from bottom to top. I would contact DV about yours. I would post pics but imgur doesn’t seem to be working on FC right now.
My spirals also go from top to bottom. It wouldn't hurt to file the channel open I'm sure, but many are happy with it without doing that.
jrzfrm.jpg

o94d8z.jpg

Last edited:

kuzko

It’s not very easy to see but here is a pic of my 18 M tip. Sorry for the mess, I’ve been running a lot of concentrates through it lately. You can barely see the groove on the far edge. This was the best I could do with my phone camera.

wlegyv.jpg

wlegyv.jpg
[/IMG]

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The grooves on mine do just reach the end, but there’s no real break in the top rim for the air to actually come through...maybe that’s why I felt the 18M tip was so much more restricted than the Ti tip, just a manufacturing defect?
Uh, no. It is good to think, and I believe DV considers the Ti tip to be an upgrade of the SS tip. It has wider deeper channels, the tip end of the channels are grooved, and it is faster to heat up and cool down because it is Ti. And it is more expensive, as upgrades usually are.

Many hundreds of folks love the M the way it is, but it can be improved (IMO) by filing the channel a bit. It is not necessary, but it is a user doable upgrade.

At least several of the users here prefer the SS tip due to the way they use it. Not all "upgrades" are for all people. :)

JamesTiberiousKirk

I’ve just checked. I’ve removed one by one and tested, with 2 o-rings, 1 o-ring and even without any o-ring, and there’s still no difference.

You eliminated the cap and tip by using it on the M17, and eliminated the o-rings.... Unless the condenser is clogged then it must be caused by demons.

"If the obvious is eliminated ... Blame demons" - Sherlock Holmes

Top Bottom