• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Dynavap VapCap ti 7 fin, 4th gen. Tip (possibly updated)

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I doubt you will get any answers from DV on these questions (tho they often surprise me with the effort they will make). I doubt there is any temperature math going on comparing the tips other than what @Stu might do. This is not a recommendation that Dynavap is making and promoting. This is Dynavap trying to satisfy some customers who, for whatever reason, prefer an earlier iteration of the tip design over what they (DV) have considered to be a progressive move forward. There have been other changes besides eliminating 2 fins and reducing total mass as they try to make a better product.
I think it is very kind of DV to do this (make a run of an earlier tip), but I think it is asking alot to ask them to divine answers to exactly how those changes are manifest in a one off version of the tip.

Summer

Long Island, NY
@marduk & @JigMelon, I personally am not privy to what the update(s), if any, will be incorporated into this tip. My only involvement has been requesting a LE run for this tip & starting the thread. Regardless of whether @VapCap produces this LE tip exactly as was originally produced or with any refinements is of no relevance to me. I trust George's decision on this. All I know is that I want it.

@cybrguy, thank you for your input -- said better than I could have. :nod:

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
^ This + 1 ^
Excellent Perspective from phattpiggie! I love lots about the way George runs his shop, but I can't believe the way he indulges his hardcore VC lovers. On the surface, it's like "who does this?" but I believe he's just as excited as we are, he's an enthusiast! We can only feel grateful that he is the super-cool guy he is. The way he encourages others to get creative with his creations is so wonderful, I think, and very clever of him. I think 2018 is going to be DYNA-mite! :rolleyes: *crickets*
But really, someday we're all going to be VapCap pioneers and DynaVap will be a household name. Yay!

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
I think it's great that Dynavap are willing to cater to the needs of a minority amongst it's customers and I'll be happy with whatever they turn out.
And I do feel catered to. :D The 7 fins would look sleek on several of his stems that resemble period designs.

The whole of Dynavap retooling and putting out a run of Limited Edition caps. :tup:

Lucked into an Omni that seems to work with it's 7 fin better than the new Ti. SO I'll probably want 2 7fins.

jds

I trust that George knows what he is doing. If he's bringing back the 7-fin tip for a limited run, I'm fairly certain that he won't mess it up. Very excited to try it out and compare it to the "original" 7-fin tips I have.

JigMelon

I doubt you will get any answers from DV on these questions (tho they often surprise me with the effort they will make). I doubt there is any temperature math going on comparing the tips other than what @Stu might do. This is not a recommendation that Dynavap is making and promoting. This is Dynavap trying to satisfy some customers who, for whatever reason, prefer an earlier iteration of the tip design over what they (DV) have considered to be a progressive move forward. There have been other changes besides eliminating 2 fins and reducing total mass as they try to make a better product.
I think it is very kind of DV to do this (make a run of an earlier tip), but I think it is asking alot to ask them to divine answers to exactly how those changes are manifest in a one off version of the tip.

I understand that it's a LE run and that he's going out of his way to appease the requests of a subset of customers, but that doesn't mean he can't make a 2-sentence post describing the changes. The reason I want to know the changes is because my current DV works excellently; I'm not going to invest money into an already-fantastic product without knowing what benefits such a purchase would bring. My interest is in the new features that don't exist in my DV, not in getting an older/less-functional iteration. He made it very clear in his previous post that any new run of this will be a NEW iteration with NEW features. Seems like he's suggesting that those progressive new features will also be in this new iteration. I would like to know what those features are, and that is definitely not asking a lot.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@JigMelon Sounds like you should probably pass on this. What I understood George to say was that it would not be a copy of the old 7-fin; rather it would be a newly designed 7-fin that would incorporate the knowledge gained since the gen four was made. So it's not going to have any new features or benefits that your current gen 5 tip doesn't. It's a cosmetic one-off with little or no performance difference, yeah?

The reason to want one is because you want one? :brow: I'm getting one for a stem that's not yet made.

Like @cybrguy, I don't think George is obliged to say anymore than he's said. @Summer took the initiative on behalf of the FC-VC community and reached out to George and he agreed to do it. This thread is meant to be a sign-up list so DV knows a quantity, that's it. You're not likely to get any definitive answers here, only speculation like mine. :D If you're looking at the $40 spent as an investment toward enhancing your already-fantastic experience, then this iteration is nothing you need and you should invest that money elsewhere or even bank it! :2c: < LOL! You might feel entitled to more info and yet still be disappointed.

marduk

daydreamer
All I asked for was a little information... whether the mass of the limited run 7-fin will be closer to the 5-fin or the 4th gen 7-fin. Not sure how this got turned into such a big deal. :shrug:

babaganush

@JigMelon Sounds like you should probably pass on this. What I understood George to say was that it would not be a copy of the old 7-fin; rather it would be a newly designed 7-fin that would incorporate the knowledge gained since the gen four was made. So it's not going to have any new features or benefits that your current gen 5 tip doesn't. It's a cosmetic one-off with little or no performance difference, yeah?

Actually, in Summer's original post it said "but may have a few small updates to reflect what we have learned since we changed the design to 5 fin".

All I asked for was a little information... whether the mass of the limited run 7-fin will be closer to the 5-fin or the 4th gen 7-fin. Not sure how this got turned into such a big deal. :shrug:

This limited run is basically for a 5th gen tip with 7 fins. This is what everyone here is signing up for, so any extra features is appreciated but not expected. I dont think anyone reserving their tips here are going to be disappointed if Dynavap doesn't add any updates. That said, we should be hearing from them soon since it was mentioned theyd run the reservation/poll for 3 weeks and it has been around that time.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
It's NOT a big deal. Nobody in here can answer your question with authority, and so far at least DV hasn't been very specific about the differences other than that they will be "small". When I hold a gen4 next to a gen5 all I see clearly different is the number of fins and how close they are to one another given the different number. I only have one of each to compare but it looks to me like the scoring on the fin that lives under the cap is a little deeper on the gen5, but its only one sample. I don't see anything else on the gen5 that might influence the mass by much so I'm guessing that the difference in mass between the gen4 tip and the LE would therefore be negligible. If there is a change not visible in a simple inspection (like slightly more or less wall thickness) I wouldn't be able to judge that.
So, if I were to make a guess, I would say that the difference in mass between 4 and 5 will be very similar to the difference between 5 and the LE version. (Shall we call the LE version 4.5?)

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker

George said, "As for the version, the 7 fin on the right (see pics below) is the most current version with the most advanced features like the adjust-a-bowl and the better helical grooves. When we do a run it will be tips that look like these, but may have a few small updates to reflect what we have learned since we changed the design to 5 fin.
I can't see the mass changing that much. What I got from it was that there's some tolerance changes and perhaps some order of operations changes during production. When I was a junior machine shop manager we were always trying to improve our order of operations, machining efficiency, tooling life and product performance.

Last edited:

wileycoyote1103

The wonderful thing about this product, is the VAS. I just want one of these, reading around and seeing all the neat items that are designed for this product, I would love to have.
So beautiful and classy. Can't help but gaze in aww over some of this stuff.
Thanks @Summer for sharing this wonderful opportunity with us.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
All I asked for was a little information... whether the mass of the limited run 7-fin will be closer to the 5-fin or the 4th gen 7-fin.
I can't be around for George's live event tomorrow, but it might be a good time to ask if he has an answer to this if you need an answer before committing. My guess is the 7-fin but its just a guess based on logic.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Details of the event @cybrguy is referring to:

DynaVap live stream - Evolution of the Tip

Thursday, January 11, 2018 6p CT

This week, we'll be talking about the Titanium Tips: how they've evolved and why... Tune in, bring your friends, ask us some questions about the Tips and don't forget to subscribe!

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Well, no discussion of the LE tip in the vid. I guess that would lead to more questions and as it's gonna be a one off then what's the point? Better to limit it to those who went out of their way to want one.

I DID enjoy his description of the evolution...

Top Bottom