dotLeaf

Easywider

Simple is the way
Can you elaborate on their plans further?

I summed them up in a previous post, but I can elaborate more.

1. I mentioned my updated oven design still catches the top o-ring. Although it doesn't seem to be having any negative effect so far but I have been very careful in how I remove and insert the oven and I've lubed the ring. A) We have updated that part already, no need to worry about that moving forward. (I'm paraphrasing )

2. Oven cracking and unregulated combustion behavior. Aa) We have new ovens on route as we speak with a new type of material to test should be available for consumers within the month if all goes well. Ab) Unregulated performance causing combustion is due to the firmware not having the logic to deal with changing resistances. We are creating a firmware update to the dotchip to resolve this issue.

SixStringToker

Naked member
In the name of Science?
50810390163_3983567d5f_o.jpg

I didn't want to try to get a soldering iron down thru that little hole to desolder the power leads, so I just snipped 'em.

You can just barely make out the heating element embedded in the walls of the oven (which feels ceramic). Shine a light through the walls of the oven and they really stand out:

50811166311_e0357ba26f_o.jpg

'Pretty slick design!

Jah75

At the price point of my entry ticket on this ride and the performance and potential it has will keep me sated a bit to let them work through these growing pains. I wouldn't mind a more proactive public approach, but I understand the reasoning against that as well.

TLDR: they still have me, without much fuss, for a while 8)

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
Also, I wonder whether the spring that pushes in the oven has something to do with this cracking issue. Damn that thing strong. After my first bowl I decided to just push the spring down by hand repeatedly for a few min to wear it out at least a little bit. Likely delusional, but hey.
I've wondered the same thing! I have also done the repeated pushing of the contact on the vape to break that in a bit. My thought is...heat causes stress, and pressure causes stress. So if its gonna be hot, it shouldn't have the extra stress of that contact on it. So far, my new oven hasnt had any cracking, so maybe that strategy is working? One can only hope!

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
In the name of Science?
View attachment 5041

I didn't want to try to get a soldering iron down thru that little hole to desolder the power leads, so I just snipped 'em.

You can just barely make out the heating element embedded in the walls of the oven (which feels ceramic). Shine a light through the walls of the oven and they really stand out:

View attachment 5042

'Pretty slick design!
I thought about doing this as well, but just couldn't bring myself to tear apart a working coil >.<
Thanks for doing this and showing everyone! This answers a lot of questions that I had about how the coil was designed. Im glad to see it's embedded into the ceramic so that the metal cant deteriorate over time!

Easywider

Simple is the way
At the price point of my entry ticket on this ride and the performance and potential it has will keep me sated a bit to let them work through these growing pains. I wouldn't mind a more proactive public approach, but I understand the reasoning against that as well.

TLDR: they still have me, without much fuss, for a while 8)

I'm happy to be buckled in for this ride, great performance, lots of potential, and very few issues that seem to be on the cuspp of a resolution.

@SixStringToker that coil design reminds me of an OTA antenna!

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
In the name of Science?
View attachment 5041

View attachment 5042

'Pretty slick design!

Great photos! That heating element explains why the dot leaf is such a little pocket rocket.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Not to be a buzz kill but that heating element is the typical $1 alumina ceramic heating element which has been around for many years in tons of portable vapes lol. Even on Alibaba they advertise them for use in vaporizers.
+1 My imag plus from 2014 had the same. I am pretty sure flowermate,x-max and divine tribe have similar heating elements. I wonder what material is the insulation of the leads. It is not that bad of tech though,although the shit companies put around it makes me sick.. I remember early flowermates had toilet paper and capton tape all around it,lol :)).

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
Not to be a buzz kill but that heating element is the typical $1 alumina ceramic heating element which has been around for many years in tons of portable vapes lol. Even on Alibaba they advertise them for use in vaporizers.
I have seen this tech plenty of times before, but this is the first device that I have seen where it's not cheaply made, and has a focus on quality, safety, and customer service. Sure the parts may be inexpensive, but as we all know by now, just because a part is cheap, doesn't mean its not quality or effective. My very first vape was one of those cheap Alibaba/AliExpress/Fasttech type devices, and it melted within a week. Having used both, I can safely confirm that the DotLeaf is not even remotely in the same category...even if the tech might be similar. Also, keep in mind that an ecig company is making this, and not charging top tier pricing like some other companies. The issues of cracks and combustion are very real, but as all communication with DotLeaf has indicated, they seem to be listening to what people have to say about it, making the improvements, and are maintaining quality customer service . I cant say the same for those cheapo toxic vapes that Alibaba/AliExpress/Fasttech sell. That's just my personal take on it of course. I will continue to support them. I have their ecig DotAIO as well, and its one of the best ecig vapes Ive used

SixStringToker

Naked member
I have their ecig DotAIO as well, and its one of the best ecig vapes Ive used
It's a very slick package and the build quality looks and feels great. I love that they're using the same mechanical platform for the dotLeaf. It makes it really discrete, too. "Flower Vape" is probably not the first thing that will come to a person's mind if they see the dotLeaf out in public.

50811670877_2c181deebd_o.jpg

Severmore

Chiming in.

Replacement unit from dotLeaf is on the way. After removing and replacing the airway gasket (my fault), I ran into issues with the herb tank not being recognized by the device (3 white blinks of light). I could occasionally get a session, but not without lots of fiddling.

My tanks also cracked. I agree with @invertedisdead It appears the issue with cracking lies with differences in material thermal expansion and contraction. Thinking aloud here...The contact for the heating element is metal, and gets quite hot. Surrounding this is the Ultem tank, which may not allow enough give for the metal’s expansion? Repeated cycles at higher temps likely exacerbate the issue?

I am willing to wait this ride out, as I imagine a more robustly engineered herb tank could help put an end to most of the reported issues.

Jah75

True it may be the same alumina heater, but there are many more parts than just the heat maker (scientific word 😁) to a vape, no? Otherwise a hebe titan = mighty

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
+1 My imag plus from 2014 had the same. I am pretty sure flowermate,x-max and divine tribe have similar heating elements. I wonder what material is the insulation of the leads. It is not that bad of tech though,although the shit companies put around it makes me sick.. I remember early flowermates had toilet paper and capton tape all around it,lol :)).

Yeah, the DT Gen2 had the same style heating element, I had one of those a few years ago. I liked the mostly ceramic build, though custom software like this device uses would definitely lead to a better and easier user experience, IMO it was the 10 second timeout on box mods that made the Gen2 finnicky to use.

I have seen this tech plenty of times before, but this is the first device that I have seen where it's not cheaply made, and has a focus on quality, safety, and customer service.

Even after early personal experiences resulted in some amount of product failure, and other members experiencing the same?

To me, it seems a bit premature to declare the quality and safety - while also currently waiting on a replacement oven to be mailed to you.

My very first vape was one of those cheap Alibaba/AliExpress/Fasttech type devices, and it melted within a week. Having used both, I can safely confirm that the DotLeaf is not even remotely in the same category...even if the tech might be similar. Also, keep in mind that an ecig company is making this, and not charging top tier pricing like some other companies. The issues of cracks and combustion are very real, but as all communication with DotLeaf has indicated, they seem to be listening to what people have to say about it, making the improvements, and are maintaining quality customer service .

Well I was specifically talking about the generic heating element, not complete vaporizers available from Alibaba, which I doubt any member on this forum would suggest, much less one who has been on this website as long as myself.

Also if a product happens to have a design flaw, it's generally in the best interest of a companies reputation to remedy it, particularly so in this competitive world of internet driven product reviews and consumer feedback we live in. Good reviews helps sell units, which makes money. Parts breaking doesn't make for good reviews. Economics and such.

True it may be the same alumina heater, but there are many more parts than just the heat maker (scientific word 😁) to a vape, no? Otherwise a hebe titan = mighty

Sometimes there are many more parts, but in a conduction design where the heater and the bowl are the same part, you're kind of locked into those vaporization dynamics. That's really why conduction stuff like this needs good software control, which DotMod is already pretty well regarded for.

SixStringToker

Naked member
Unfortunately, I'm on an ISO budget until my quarantine ends (or my gallon gets delivered), so the iso oven soak will have to wait for now. It's lower priority than keeping my bangers clean!

Meanwhile.... Sherlock?

50812240452_0c6c2499dc_o.jpg

I also added a carb on the stem that I can feather with my thumb to control the amount of cool air that gets pulled in...

50811446803_40eda36e5e_o.jpg

Last edited:

Jah75

I wish I could find a 510 Sherlock!

I think what some of us are doing is extending Dotmod some of the reputation they earned in the ecig market and trusting that these issues are growing pains in a related, but new industry. I quit vaping 4 years ago (nic) and Dotmod was relatively new during my time vaping, but already were getting a very good reputation as authentic (used to be an issue in ecigs big-time,no clue if it still is) quality producer that had good CS and worked hard for their market share. I’m not ready to call this a home run, but someone’s on base and ..... I’m going to stop right there...I am high and was trying for a sports reference and have no clue about sports haha. Anyway, I think there is a better chance than not that they will pull this through

SixStringToker

Naked member
Me too! That one is actually from a cheap pipe I bought off of Amazon. The joint was too long for the dotLeaf, so I cut it shorter. It's also a bit too small in diameter, but I have some silicone mighty/crafty mouthpiece sleeves that came with those 3rd-party aluminum cooling units that fit it well. It made the stem really tight and difficult to assemble, but some all-natural magic oil helped with the fit.

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++

I think what some of us are doing is extending Dotmod some of the reputation they earned in the ecig market and trusting that these issues are growing pains in a related, but new industry. I quit vaping 4 years ago (nic) and Dotmod was relatively new during my time vaping, but already were getting a very good reputation as authentic (used to be an issue in ecigs big-time,no clue if it still is) quality producer that had good CS and worked hard for their market share. I’m not ready to call this a home run, but someone’s on base and ..... I’m going to stop right there...I am high and was trying for a sports reference and have no clue about sports haha. Anyway, I think there is a better chance than not that they will pull this through
Once initial birthing pains are behind them, it will be interesting to see where they go with options and accessories.

purpletweed

Unfortunately, I'm on an ISO budget until my quarantine ends (or my gallon gets delivered), so the iso oven soak will have to wait for now. It's lower priority than keeping my bangers clean!

Meanwhile.... Sherlock?

View attachment 5058

I also added a carb on the stem that I can feather with my thumb to control the amount of cool air that gets pulled in...

View attachment 5059

Wow, and you even beveled the carb! That looks great.

Jah75

I would like to find a 14mm female spiked straight stem (similar to the drydro stems-I thinks that’s what they were called). Some kind of mechanical cooling unit. I basically use my hydro tube with it like this now, just dry; the drydro tube would just be so much more compact

SixStringToker

Naked member
I would like to find a 14mm female spiked straight stem (similar to the drydro stems-I thinks that’s what they were called). Some kind of mechanical cooling unit.
This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but with a bit of silicone tubing as a gasket (outside of the airpath), the Glow RCV 18 Mouthpiece fits snuggly over the larger of the two long stems that come with the dotLeaf.

50811616108_7946127e30_o.jpg

Top Bottom