DIY Induction Heater Builds and References

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Thanks for the question @RustyOldNail - simple reply - You can. Regulating the IH is a simple matter of input voltage. The power of the IH is wholly dependent on that.

Some kind of MOD with the right parameters could drive an IH. The MOD is the DC-DC converter. Most MODs are over-engineered for IH directly.

Thanks, so the electronics are small enough, to be incorporated into a box maybe slightly bigger then an FD, though I assume there would still be a computer type chip needed for the regulation, and of course the price of the final product higher. Evolve DNA chips are pricy, but you wouldn’t need a color screen. Don’t tell the Chinese, surprised that regulated ECig tech hasn’t shown up in a IH. Certainly not a size issue, extra $$$, but it also takes some smarts.

Keep up the cool IH work, “expanding and miniaturizing the field at the same time”, that can be your company motto! :)

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: TommyDee

RedEyeFlightControl

Inventor,Maker, Pro Nerd, Entgineer, GladScientist
Manufacturer
Another “short” post from TD! :)

I probably understand 20% of your tech, so I’m going to ask you something that I’ve been wondering about, give me the short version if you can.

Most of my knowledge comes from my experience with ECig mods. I’ve owned a bunch, but all are single 18650 mods, though my favorites are single 21700 mods. I’ve never owned any that take 2-3 batteries, as I was never a cloud chaser. But what I’m wondering is, I’m aware that those multi battery mods had some type of balanced charging built in. I don’t fly drones, or other devices that need a balanced charger, so I’ve never needed to learn about them. I’ve seen the hobby units, but that’s it. So my curiosity is, I’m aware my FD is basically like a mechanical mod, in that as the voltage drops, the performance changes, and it’s not a regulated device like my DNA75c mods, with the Evolve chipset. As you know, these mods are quite small, granted they don’t house a big IH coil, BUT why can’t a IH have a regulated output, like my small ECig mods? I assume there is a tiny buck-boost built into those. Just something I’m curious about, maybe the whole IH electronics don’t allow or work well if regulated.

Thanks.

Oh man, now you want to rope me into ECig convos? Dude this is going to turn into gibberish for most people really fast. LMK if you have questions. I've been a member of the e-cig community since before there were mods...back when r/electronic_cigarette was like 1000 people lol. Wanted to quit cigs. I've bought, designed, and used equipment from the first generations of products. My first hand made box-mod ran on 2 14500s, a small fet, and that's it. VERY rudimentary. It has come SUCH a long way even in the past few years. I'm currently using SS316L Stainless for my heater wire, hand wrapped 10/9 dual 26g 3.0mm coils running in TCR mode at about 210-230c. Temp control is redic. My daily is a Smoant Naboo with a salad made of various Zeus X atty's and home-made liquids mixed right here in the chemistry wing of my lab (that one spot on my bench). I am *STILL* waiting for my damn Smoant Ladon pre-order from sverseas to show up. It's their next box mod and my Naboo needs a new lil brother. Been in transit for 3 months... ugh

OK @RustyOldNail On to address your question. In the early days, there was battery. And it was good. Then it sagged. And it was bad. Then there were the first gen regulated mods (cigalikes, the bolt, 510's and 808s). Then came the eGo battery (the 3.4 regulated cigar shaped thing with the big-ass, now abandoned eGo connector). Improvement, but meh. Bucked to 3.4 to mitigate sag, making you chose your disposable atomizer (or rebuildable) if you were lucky, based on resistance and coil count to get the desired affect at fixed (artificially sagged) voltage. THEN came rebuildables (atomizers you can rebuild over and over). What grace! A gift from the heavens. No more awful disposables. And with that came the demand for higher power, as people designed bigger, hungrier coils. Thus, cloud chasing became a thing.

There were a few solutions. The first was a "mech" or "mechanical" unregulated mod. More or less, a tube with contacts you bridge against a high-amp 18650. This was the next best thing, but it was a PITA because voltage sag returned, and so did a few new issues - BIG unregulated power (bridge the battery and now you have a pipe bomb), and the necessity to build your coil to match your needs (requires skill and somewhat advanced materials knowledge). Which was a science all in its own. That's where the coil notation I used actually came from, how to communicate your design spec in a meaningful way to reproduce it. Higher wrap count / lower wrap count / Dia + Ga.

Then came the regulated mods! Hooray! SCIENCE! This generation of mods were lower at first. pushing 7, 10, 15, and maybe even upwards of 20 watts if you got spendy. These used variable voltage. The VariTube is an excellent early specimen if you want to see what it looked like back in the early 2010's. It was rudimentary voltage control, but it worked. https://www.thehouseofvapor.com/Vari_Tube_Gen_2_Black_p/1170.htm

Then came variable wattage. A whole new ball game. Keeping the wattage consistent across battery cycles was a game changer. Now you could always be sure your wattage and output was rather on point, save, and effective. No more guessing. It was also more efficient than VV.

Now we're to the point of using tech called TCR (temperature coefficient of resistance for you TLA nerds). This means that we observe the temperature in the heater itself using only the resistance changes under workloads, and more or less feed the input to a PID controller which then uses something like PWM to regulate the driver that controls the heater circuit.

Now - this is a rather idea setup. A lot of the work, programming, and economy-of-scale is done. You have an end-product that you can buy off of the shelf ranging fro 25 to 250 bucks, that puts out power in one of two ways. Variable wattage, and TCR are most common. It is uncommon to see VV now (the notion is antiquated and abandoned).

BUT. The issue we have here, is that we want to feed rather unfettered DC output to an inducter driver. The VV solution from the early days would be far more friendly in terms of trying to match output to input, but there is still no guarantee you have clean power coming out. Because it's driving a dumb heater resistor, it is very rudimentary in nature and I would not suspect the power to be clean enough not to piss off the ZVS circuit without a LOT of further investigation and some advanced bench tools and knowledge. The outputs of a contemporary Ecig mod aren't ideal (at least IMO) to be fed to a ZVS driver.

Another custom non-ZVS driver, perhaps. But probably not our dear friend, the trusty ZVS, I would wager. I would love to be wrong on this one, but my gut feel is that it's probably not ideal.

Oh, and FWIW, we don't ever use the balance chargers in our mods. Even the good ones, typically. We all have tabletop 18650 computerized chargers to optimize battery health and maximize charging, for such important devices :) The inboard chargers tend to be crap (as most cheap, low tolerance stuff goes) and are generally avoided for that reason. I have never once used mine in a decade. Always a tabletop. Nitecore has some solid options and is often a go-to recommendation. If you use 18650s or other barrel-cell LiON batteries, you NEED one of these in your arsenal. You'll thank me later, lol.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
He said short answer :cool::D :razz:

MOD tech is overkill, agreed, yet the temp control mode is relevant for the IR sensor. Yes, that is very salvageable from MOD tech. Wattage mode is not stable as the VC makes changes and that fights the algo's. I have a Vaporesso MOD that does VV mode but the dumbass thing want a resistance reading to fire. And the fire is limited to 10 seconds. Those are the two setbacks.

As to clean power - doesn't matter as long as you keep an analog level voltage on the gate pins. There is a minimum and you're good. The IH happily rides dumb analog waves and deals well with surges. So the MOD can't just send a chopped signal like it can into a coil. It needs a hold-up cap to cover the dips to minimum voltage of like 2.5V.

We just need the very efficient boost/buck circuit from the MOD tech. We can drive it with Arduino. Cheap-tech! Arduino can manage IR so TC mode is also there, just outside the MOD tech world.

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Oh man, now you want to rope me into ECig convos? Dude this is going to turn into gibberish for most people really fast. LMK if you have questions. I've been a member of the e-cig community since before there were mods...back when r/electronic_cigarette was like 1000 people lol. Wanted to quit cigs. I've bought, designed, and used equipment from the first generations of products. My first hand made box-mod ran on 2 14500s, a small fet, and that's it. VERY rudimentary. It has come SUCH a long way even in the past few years. I'm currently using SS316L Stainless for my heater wire, hand wrapped 10/9 dual 26g 3.0mm coils running in TCR mode at about 210-230c. Temp control is redic. My daily is a Smoant Naboo with a salad made of various Zeus X atty's and home-made liquids mixed right here in the chemistry wing of my lab (that one spot on my bench). I am *STILL* waiting for my damn Smoant Ladon pre-order from sverseas to show up. It's their next box mod and my Naboo needs a new lil brother. Been in transit for 3 months... ugh

OK @RustyOldNail On to address your question. In the early days, there was battery. And it was good. Then it sagged. And it was bad. Then there were the first gen regulated mods (cigalikes, the bolt, 510's and 808s). Then came the eGo battery (the 3.4 regulated cigar shaped thing with the big-ass, now abandoned eGo connector). Improvement, but meh. Bucked to 3.4 to mitigate sag, making you chose your disposable atomizer (or rebuildable) if you were lucky, based on resistance and coil count to get the desired affect at fixed (artificially sagged) voltage. THEN came rebuildables (atomizers you can rebuild over and over). What grace! A gift from the heavens. No more awful disposables. And with that came the demand for higher power, as people designed bigger, hungrier coils. Thus, cloud chasing became a thing.

There were a few solutions. The first was a "mech" or "mechanical" unregulated mod. More or less, a tube with contacts you bridge against a high-amp 18650. This was the next best thing, but it was a PITA because voltage sag returned, and so did a few new issues - BIG unregulated power (bridge the battery and now you have a pipe bomb), and the necessity to build your coil to match your needs (requires skill and somewhat advanced materials knowledge). Which was a science all in its own. That's where the coil notation I used actually came from, how to communicate your design spec in a meaningful way to reproduce it. Higher wrap count / lower wrap count / Dia + Ga.

Then came the regulated mods! Hooray! SCIENCE! This generation of mods were lower at first. pushing 7, 10, 15, and maybe even upwards of 20 watts if you got spendy. These used variable voltage. The VariTube is an excellent early specimen if you want to see what it looked like back in the early 2010's. It was rudimentary voltage control, but it worked. https://www.thehouseofvapor.com/Vari_Tube_Gen_2_Black_p/1170.htm

Then came variable wattage. A whole new ball game. Keeping the wattage consistent across battery cycles was a game changer. Now you could always be sure your wattage and output was rather on point, save, and effective. No more guessing. It was also more efficient than VV.

Now we're to the point of using tech called TCR (temperature coefficient of resistance for you TLA nerds). This means that we observe the temperature in the heater itself using only the resistance changes under workloads, and more or less feed the input to a PID controller which then uses something like PWM to regulate the driver that controls the heater circuit.

Now - this is a rather idea setup. A lot of the work, programming, and economy-of-scale is done. You have an end-product that you can buy off of the shelf ranging fro 25 to 250 bucks, that puts out power in one of two ways. Variable wattage, and TCR are most common. It is uncommon to see VV now (the notion is antiquated and abandoned).

BUT. The issue we have here, is that we want to feed rather unfettered DC output to an inducter driver. The VV solution from the early days would be far more friendly in terms of trying to match output to input, but there is still no guarantee you have clean power coming out. Because it's driving a dumb heater resistor, it is very rudimentary in nature and I would not suspect the power to be clean enough not to piss off the ZVS circuit without a LOT of further investigation and some advanced bench tools and knowledge. The outputs of a contemporary Ecig mod aren't ideal (at least IMO) to be fed to a ZVS driver.

Another custom non-ZVS driver, perhaps. But probably not our dear friend, the trusty ZVS, I would wager. I would love to be wrong on this one, but my gut feel is that it's probably not ideal.

Oh, and FWIW, we don't ever use the balance chargers in our mods. Even the good ones, typically. We all have tabletop 18650 computerized chargers to optimize battery health and maximize charging, for such important devices :) The inboard chargers tend to be crap (as most cheap, low tolerance stuff goes) and are generally avoided for that reason. I have never once used mine in a decade. Always a tabletop. Nitecore has some solid options and is often a go-to recommendation. If you use 18650s or other barrel-cell LiON batteries, you NEED one of these in your arsenal. You'll thank me later, lol.

I understood everything you said, till the driving the ZVS. I started ECig vaping not long after it was introduced, cartos etc. i make my own juice, so I know what’s in it, speed steep in a quality ultrasonic. Wrap my own coils, and my favorite mod no longer made Lost Vape “Mirage” DBA75c. I charge all my lithium’s on my XTar VP2, I love and own a bunch of Nitecore flashlights, but don’t care for their chargers, except those tiny single USB ones, so cute.

As I’ve stated before my electronics experience is LOW, my battery knowledge much better, because as you say, a MECH MOD can be a pipe BOMB. My FD IH, is the first device that has a balanced charging board, so I wanted to learn a bit more on that since a $9 charger is now feeding the 3 - 18650’s. This is a case of me just getting lazy, and I prefer to leave them in the unit, instead of taking them out to swap constantly. I’m always home and monitoring, and place a tiny portable smoke detector next to it.

Anyways, I’m not suggesting that an ECig mod run an IH, but that it seems possible to use some of that tech and come up with a regulated IH. But that stuff is out of my wheelhouse, but I do enjoy reading the things you and Tommy are doing, some of it may soak in someday.

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
I understood everything you said, till the driving the ZVS. I started ECig vaping not long after it was introduced, cartos etc. i make my own juice, so I know what’s in it, speed steep in a quality ultrasonic. Wrap my own coils, and my favorite mod no longer made Lost Vape “Mirage” DBA75c. I charge all my lithium’s on my XTar VP2, I love and own a bunch of Nitecore flashlights, but don’t care for their chargers, except those tiny single USB ones, so cute.

FlavaFlav_Yeeeeaaaahhhhhboiiiiiiiii.jpg

FWIW the relatively common Chinese supplied regulated box mods typically have lower quality components than a purpose-built battery charger. I would expect them to be better than they have been traditionally given the hefty jump in tech, but at the same time, I trust my desktop charger a *lot* more. I'm confident that Fluxer is using very high quality balance boards, I've looked at those same boards myself and would not be concerned with them. A 40-60$ Chinese mod of questionable origin is a different story. We're on the same page I think. One could easily build a resistive heater that would probably heat a dynavap rather well. We already have electric bangers for them, which work a treat. Most box mods TCR can run up to about 60 watts easily, and that's our target range for a slow cook on a Dyna cap with a well tuned IH coil. But since it's all conductive heat, it will be akin to a fancy electric tube lighter, and now there's a ton of heat and power loss to mitigate, on top of burning your short and curlies off if you drop the thing in your lap. My Naboo is considerably heavier than my Hydra, and there would be a lot of thermal inertia and storage to deal with, too. Personally, knowing the challenges, I'd pass, but I'm sure someone is out there working on it. Go them!

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I think there is an inflection point here @RustyOldNail - And I think you said as much @RedEyeFlightControl - Does IH join the MOD tech world or will they ignore the bastard child? Hell, I got TC working on Launch Box, we should be able to get it to work on VapCap don't you think? But we're still on our own for now. I suppose it is up to us to set those standards, all of us!

No one is talking convection or radiant heating! Just to be clear! Yes people are working on it - more power to them. We just need the MOD boxes to stop sensing the coil resistance because there isn't any!

Last edited:

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
I think there is an inflection point here @RustyOldNail - And I think you said as much @RedEyeFlightControl - Does IH join the MOD tech world or will they ignore the bastard child? Hell, I got TC working on Launch Box, we should be able to get it to work on VapCap don't you think? But we're still on our own for now. I suppose it is up to us to set those standards, all of us!

No one is talking convection or radiant heating! Just to be clear! Yes people are working on it - more power to them. We just need the MOD boxes to stop sensing the coil resistance because there isn't any!

I never thought about using TCR on the likes of something as simple as a wood block and SS mesh, akin to the MFLB. That's actually a really promising and easy to implement idea. Maybe I'll explore that some time for fun (I have some SS mesh around here somewhere), but I'm not crazy about resistive conduction heating when IH is so, so much more efficient and effective. It would almost be doing your batteries a disservice to consider it :) The advantage E-Cigs have, is they are more or less liquid cooled. You don't get that with a dry mod.

RedEyeFlightControl,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
That is absolutely CLASSIC! @overnoise ! :cheers: Your desktop is covered!

We found a sweet-spot on the Launch Box @RedEyeFlightControl . I love my LB! And I love it 10 times better now that I have temp control with the Vaporesso Target Mini 2. Just needed an adapter which the VM-22 Vaporesso tank that came with the kit provided a perfect core. Turns out the mesh is 0.07 ohms. You must use copper on the rails or you get serious contact resistance that generates significant heat.

You'll find the LB works wonders between 15 and 20 watts in temp mode. It is more about flame-out avoidance as the screen would maintain a maximum level.

TommyDee,
Reactions: overnoise

StacyPoli

Hello...as per my experience with such DIYs. i can say that the fan and the heatsink of that power supply might be worth rescuing for your project, but I wouldn't risk much else.There are several online threads about Royer-based induction heaters. Be aware that most DIY constructions seem to cause a lot of problems.

StacyPoli,

badbee

Has anyone tried building an autosensing start that applies heating power when the inductance of the coil changes due to the insertion of the vapcap? Not sure if it would be practical to do this with the main coil or if it would need a separate sensing coil. Anyone tried an optical switch?

Here is an example circuit using an Arduino. It should be possible to skip the microcontroller and use a circuit tuned to flip state at specific inductance values.

Last edited:
badbee,

slozukimc

Has anyone tried using an Arduino or the like with a microphone to listen for the click and then implement an adjustable time delay before turning off the IH?

slozukimc,

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Has anyone tried building an autosensing start that applies heating power when the inductance of the coil changes due to the insertion of the vapcap? Not sure if it would be practical to do this with the main coil or if it would need a separate sensing coil. Anyone tried an optical switch?

Here is an example circuit using an Arduino. It should be possible to skip the microcontroller and use a circuit tuned to flip state at specific inductance values.

I would think the coil operation would be hard to differentiate from sensing the DV leaving the coil port, but not sure. There's a lot of activity going on during the drop, as opposed to an idle or unpowered circuit at the start.

Has anyone tried using an Arduino or the like with a microphone to listen for the click and then implement an adjustable time delay before turning off the IH?

This has been suggested, I don't believe anyone has tried it yet. It could provide more accurate timing than human feedback to an audible click, for sure, but you'd have to design something pretty tailored to listening to one thing only - which may be a challenge for more simple hardware like a 328 and the 32k of space you get for it. There are bigger better chips. The code, in its basic form, could be very rudimentary. IMO there is a big gap between "getting the basic performance" vs "guaranteeing precision and accuracy" throughout product lifetime, use cycles, and several environmental factors, the biggest of which is acoustic pollution at the mic. The mic also needs to be heat-rated, the closer you get it to mitigate ambient interference.

RedEyeFlightControl,

slozukimc

I would think the coil operation would be hard to differentiate from sensing the DV leaving the coil port, but not sure. There's a lot of activity going on during the drop, as opposed to an idle or unpowered circuit at the start.

This has been suggested, I don't believe anyone has tried it yet. It could provide more accurate timing than human feedback to an audible click, for sure, but you'd have to design something pretty tailored to listening to one thing only - which may be a challenge for more simple hardware like a 328 and the 32k of space you get for it. There are bigger better chips. The code, in its basic form, could be very rudimentary. IMO there is a big gap between "getting the basic performance" vs "guaranteeing precision and accuracy" throughout product lifetime, use cycles, and several environmental factors, the biggest of which is acoustic pollution at the mic. The mic also needs to be heat-rated, the closer you get it to mitigate ambient interference.
Remember the “Clapper”? Clap on, clap off. Same idea right?

slozukimc,

badbee

I did see a description of an IH with this feature a few months ago but don't have a link. It might have been a proposal rather than a completed design. I think adding a thermistor makes more sense. The click is just a temp sensor, why put a sensor on another sensor when you can read temp directly? It would be fun to have a temp output screen and a pot to adjust shut off temp.

badbee,

badbee

Yeah, good point, it would be quite noisy. Then again we're only looking to detect at a very coarse level. I guess the only way to know will be to take some measurements. I've been playing around with an Arduino recently. Maybe time for a new sensor value recording project...

badbee,

Hippie

Yes

I hope @rz and the family are ok as he's not posted any updates for over 18 months now

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
@badbee @slozukimc @TommyDee

This is pretty neat. I'm not doing coil detection, but if he's got a working heat sensor, there's all the proof I need to have confidence my concept will work. I have never liked the idea of pressing my cap in to heat. I can certainly put the switch footprint in for it, or detect it with the coil, but it's nothing I need or want. This is more or less a touch-and-done heat, which is pretty much the goal, so we can dump *reliance* on the disc. I love the click and it's tried and true, but the variances between caps and coils and heaters is enough to merit and entire line of software controllers for these things. FWIW The unit's probably going to need a button of some kind, somewhere, that can be used as a jump-start until temp control takes over anyway, and I would not spend my time working on coil detection when there are other easier things that can be implemented with little or no additional hardware. Hell, something as creative as using a gyro or g-sensor to interpret gestures, or an IR gate sensor could be useful. I haven't built any of these into my base design yet but they are all totally and very easily achievable goals. I should probably pick up an IR gate to see if it's feasible, but with a little elbow grease can just about guarantee it is.

His hardware build is near identical to mine, as is many other builders out there. Though the parts in use are more or less the most common and inexpensive to work with, and arguably the hardware doesn't matter so much as the code running each module. The 328 nano is cheap and plentiful and super-formfactor and can stomach just enough code to be useful for tiny stuff. Those oleds are great. I'm using both of those myself. Rotaries and pots are pretty standard 5v gear. So you're going to see a lot of similar, what I would refer to as formfactor, IH hardware coming built around community needs.

You guys are watching firsthand what I watched happen to the ecig industry about 10-12 years ago. This is the revolution, the next level. If this is anything like the last one, it's going to be a really fun ride.

I haven't gotten a chance to play with my thermometer yet but I'm dying to. I need more hours in my day. This is just more motivation!

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Another Arduino build reference - https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/...-with-arduino-closed-loop-temp-control.22605/

We should keep an eye on things other than vapcaps while we're at it.

@RedEyeFlightControl - one take-away from early reading is that a standby current of <1 Ma is achievable on Arduino with a manual wake cycle. This could take the "big" power switch and make it a simple momentary. When I had the on-off switch, I forgot to turn it off quite a few times. Mine runs stealth mode, remember. No lights blaring.

Last edited:
TommyDee,

badbee

Yes

I hope @rz and the family are ok as he's not posted any updates for over 18 months now

@Hippie , thank you so much for this link. I haven't finished reading all of the thread but that is exactly what I had in mind. Not original, or even necessary, but the thing is I already have the Arduino so it would be a waste to not try this out, right? Now IR sensor or thermistor? I think either can work, a thermistor in the "cap stop" in the coil will respond to the changing cap temp pretty quickly.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@badbee - I was dropping the VC into a vail within the coil. It has a 1mm wall thickness. The heat transfer from the cap to the glass what fairly quick and intense. You could bond a thermocouple to glass or ceramic as a permanent entity. You want a material that doesn't distribute the heat well and changes quickly.

TommyDee,

badbee

So I'm shopping for components and notice that all the different 120 W ZVS driver units have one of two standard PCBs labelled "Mini-028" or "MiniV1.1RE". Is that labeling from some standard reference PCB being used in multiple factories or are these all made in the same factory and basically identical? Has anyone noticed any significant differences between the different units? Prices vary from 2.98 on AliExpress (yes I know it will take forever) to > $20 on Amazon. Around $10 seems about right for something shipped from the US.

PKOK

Ok @TommyDee Looks like you've been busy, cool stuff and I didn't read it all! I got a big box of parts so I need to get back in the game here, if I can figure where here is :lol:

Top Bottom