DIY Induction Heater Builds and References

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Has anyone seen the “MagHeater”, in the hand, or know anyone that has received one. I’m curious about his meter and heat adjustability. I’ve seen what little he has on the site, looks interesting, but no real details.

RustyOldNail,

RustyOldNail

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: TommyDee

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Definitely the next level IH tech. After that, minding the fucking click won't matter. And simple!

TommyDee,

RedEyeFlightControl

Inventor,Maker, Pro Nerd, Entgineer, GladScientist
Manufacturer
Definitely the next level IH tech. After that, minding the fucking click won't matter. And simple!

@RustyOldNail @TommyDee

The automatic heater looks to be using an SSD1306 OLED with 128x64 or 128x128 resolution.

If that is the same IR module I think it is, it may be difficult to read the cap temp (because of the metal reflectivity) but darn it I'm ordering one right now. If this integrates the way I think it do, the bimetal temp disk just became obsolete. Thanks for the link!

RedEyeFlightControl,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
So I ordered the Slim Automatic IR a while ago and I have been told only recently that my unit is actually finished now, however, I am, while happy after the 5 month wait, a bit careful until I actually hold it in my hand, as it's not the first time I was thinking I'm going to get it soon. I think the Slim has gotten at least 6 or 8 different improvements since I preordered it (case, coding, tube...). Since my Slim will be the very first of the first batch (nine or ten in total) I'm not quite sure when others will be able to preorder it again, might take a while since he also builds his standard Compact model. And I should say that while the wait for the Slim (it was originally scheduled for mid march) is a bit of a zen challenge, he was able to build quite a nice amount of Compacts and do customer service too. I'm sure once he's through this phase of finalizing the product and scaling it up he will be able to shoot out Slim Automatics like he does Compacts now. Will keep you updated on it, I'm sure it's next level shit. :)

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Too many caps is the source of inspiration :D Followed by a whole lot of fuck-ups.

I've got one of those screens in 2-tone. Stands out. I forget the array dimensions.

The shine of the cap needs a correction factor in code but the caps are a bit stippled. However, I learned with extreme acuity that parking the cap on a surface will easily propagate the heat we are looking for. My glass vial, for instance, will blister you, so a paint dab on thin glass will get you a good reading. However, I don't think it will be an issue. The 'chamber' will be small and reflections will all be radiated from the cap. I'm thinking putting the sensor in a wooden tube maybe 8mm long or less with a hole no bigger than the sensor housing. The insides should be non-reflective black. This is about as direct a shot I can think of to count photon energy. Looking forward to what you get in calibration. Emissivity can be compensated for with cameras so the cap should be simple. Will cap variance with age be an issue?

Last edited:
TommyDee,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Looks like I got 4 housed IH's! :spliff: Here is the PETG family...

From left to right you have the "Standard" w/ a 9-turn coil. Corded and about as small as it comes. The Standard is a hot IH at 3s input. A scorcher with a proper PS.
In the middle is "FlatPack". A HalfPint cordless implementation w/ 18350 in a custom tabletop housing that can sneak out for a quick rip. It needs a plug-in charge option. Waiting for a few slow boats.
And our newest member to the HalfPint Family is this 12-turn 16mm coil. The shrinking volume over the Standard is notable. This one is taking credit for both size and smoothness of the bake. I cook the cap hot and I see 6-8 seconds on average on the first heat-up of an '18 VC.

50049183712_f2ba09d2aa_c.jpg

These 3 units are using 20mm coil length. This is what I've settled on for usable axial heating. This is also what makes adjustments so touchy axially along the coil's axis. The bore of the tip past the CCD is much cleaner with a confined coil area.

This little HalfPint on the right is destined for some new activity. I still need to embark on 2S development so it will probably be put back to the standard configuration.
The coil in this configuration is only 15.5mm tall (6 turns of 12 gauge) and doubled back for 11-1/2 turns (?) total.

20200606_162826-jpg.958

The winner in my hord is FlatPack. I swapped out the coil and it is just plain hittin'it! I have plans for it to make charging easier but this is a winner already in my book.

Of course, no one can beat Fluxer in compactness. But I gave it hell trying. These two are essentially identical in performance. The raised coil on the right can be flushed with the rest of the body. We essentially have a choice between a coffin or a box... and a cord to contend with. Connectors would add real estate.

50049021191_8e9923a5d2_c.jpg

BTW, the white box has the first pressure actuated switch implemented. And it's not in the bottom of the VC cup.

I need to tweak that housing a bit but I think that study has run it's course. I see no appreciable difference in the HalfPint performance over the the Full Monte, the Standard. It draws less power and I am certain it is limited in output by the same token. 80 watts hadn't been a sweat for these. I have specifically managed coil wire-lengths to make sure that these limit their current draw. You want hotter? Reduce coil wire-length. It's about 5 watts per turn either way. More turns, less watts.

I am enjoying turning these cups from dowel. Very controllable for coil penetration. The taper I add to the walls about 8mm deep is 2-1/2 degrees. This cuts down on digger scorching the walls of the cup. If needed, some blue tape works wonders in controlling fit within the coil. They may crack but they won't go to pieces all at once.

Back at the og FC. I'm going to miss uploading pics from my desktop.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@RedEyeFlightControl - found an interesting article you might find amusing. I have no idea as to the scale of the components required for this circuit. Most attractive is the lack of semi-devices. Purely passive, bypassing even diodes.

Worth exploring?

extract;
This paper presents a steady state analysis of a three phase self-excited induction generator. The problem is formulated as a multidimensional optimization problem. A constrained optimizer is used to minimize a cost function of the total impedance or admittance of the circuit of the generator to obtain the frequency and other performance of the mac...

Last edited:
TommyDee,

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
@RedEyeFlightControl - found an interesting article you might find amusing. I have no idea as to the scale of the components required for this circuit. Most attractive is the lack of semi-devices. Purely passive, bypassing even diodes.

Worth exploring?

extract;

Thanks for the link. I'll try to wrap my head around it some time this weekend! It sounds like a novel idea. I had a different idea in mind for where I'm headed, but this is certainly food for thought. If this is even more simplistic than ZVS and can be tuned accordingly, we may very well have a much more micro option. Do you by any chance have access to the full paper?

Thanks for the wattage notes on the inductors, too. Very helpful. Coilwinding is maddening for sure, and I appreciate your sharing the values you're seeing. I'm probably going to build a half-pint for fun and see how it plays with my hardware.

The more I'm considering paths for my designs, the more I'm considering the feasibility of a joint venture with various builders who already have their hats in the market and want to coop a next-gen on their hardware. This has the potential to be beautiful since most of my efforts have focused on that, as opposed to the actual heating hardware - I'm not quite there yet. But it looks promising.

I just POC'd capacitive-touch fire last night (zero pressure fire), and that seems to be working well as another input option. Completely hidden, silent. Way cool.

http://instagr.am/p/CB3EZ7ABY47/

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Way cool on the inductive sensing. Why not.

I do not have access to the full paper. It is rather loose but it should flush out with a little analysis. Hell, my mind was on direct AC to an Isolation coil-pair. Basically a super high ratio transformer with a couple of output windings directly into a work coil all as a continuous loop. At 50/60Hz the electrical reference depth will be significant but is it sufficient for coupling?

You know I don't have a bone in this IH dogfight. I do this so the art can be advanced and providing guidance for those licensed to drive a soldering iron that want to do some of the things that my observations allows them to do. Even those wanting to learn to drive a soldering iron. My crude electronics knowledge lets me be dangerous and lucky at the same time. I've been looking over professional shoulders for an entire career. You just can't wash that shit off once it gets on you.

I know there will be code wars at some point for IH. We're at infancy when it comes to capabilities. The power of a flashlight MP could revolutionize the device 2 orders of magnitude. Who's gonna implement it? There is artisan movements all over the world. I haven't seen any collaboration. If there was, there'd be $50 solutions already. But I have seen higher levels of production runs, meaning people are more confident with the market scope.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Today I learned of a new tough choice in making a table top 'wand'. You get the form-factor down to holding the thing in your hand and boom, the cord want to hang down on the long end away from the coil. But when you set it down on the table for a tabletop session and bam, you want the cable gone and away on the far end. So where the fuck do you put the manual/bypass button?

Such travails :spliff: tore mesting

I honestly didn't set out to end up designing a rendition of the Flix. But it all came together today. A couple of niggles that needed 'adjusting' but overall, I am pleased as fucking dogshit!

We finally have a discrete little glow light. Original IH LED.

20200627_212522.jpg

Turns out this little button magnet with no special polarization works perfect to pull the cap and lo - holds it centered!
And of course the bypass button which is a simple rod
The wooden cup too activates the switch on the backside of the board assembly.

20200627_212201.jpg

The 3-piece design includes a snap-in bottom piece; a 3D printed plunger to activate the switch; and the housing.
The housing holds the fixed cord with a zip tie.
The cord has about 5' of freedom.
As a wand, this is a nightlight yet very little bleed sitting on an opaque surface.

20200627_212612.jpg

This is HalfPint[tm][r]
A classic ZVS circuit literally cut in half.​
The final dimensions for the case ended up being 60mm deep x 43mm wide x 38mm high.
Unbadged, Stealthy, and Simplicity Realized.

20200627_211952.jpg

Match this with a 3S 18650 for days of use, or a pack half the size using 3S 18350 that'll put any number of you under the table; or yet any number of li-ion hobby packs available at your favorite hobby store.

Last edited:

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
You guys are bad ass. I want one, and I don't even know what it does.

It senses temperature, of course :lol:

@TommyDee Really slick design there. Love the simplicity of it all. Very well thought out. One idea I have is to design a "tabletop stand" for a handheld wand making it both a "tabletop" and a "wand" by picking it up or setting it down. This was one of my designs on this concept from the get-go :) Just print yourself a stand, and the cord no longer matters. Now, the stand will of course have to mate with the wand, but that's designer's choice. I was going to make a simple cradle for the wand design I envisioned. Bringing the heat to the piece was something I wanted from the beginning.

Likewise, these things are getting so small, it's going to be harder and harder to make something that is uniquely shaped or designed :) The fact that size is becoming a limiting factor is great.

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
RedEyeFlightControl,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Thanks @RedEyeFlightControl - at that price I'll go the extra $10 for the full kit with sketches and the MP.

We're definitely on the same page for the wand concept. I very much want the IH to be the torch, not the base station. The little HalfPint is not ergonomically shaped for this but it will work, of course. Long tether, palm-sized form-factor, and a variety of ways to fire. As it sits now, it is a nice little desktop heater.
A Sip'n-Dip'n Siren tempting sailers to madness.

I can see HalfPint, like Flix, working very well with varieties of bubblers. The nice thing about this latest design is that for woodworking, it is easy to house.

Although I see a few tweaks I would like to make, this one is done from the prototype standpoint. I am loving the VC cap-removing magnet, finally. I didn't think these would work as they are not diametrically polarized. But the cap centers and stays centered non the less. It also holds my lightweight stems but that is not the purpose. I just need to see the darkness of the ABV without waiting for the cooldown. Also in case I need to quickly remove the cap due to a flame-out or something else catastrophic. the magnets are 1/4"D*1/8"T and I've sunk them 1/2 way. The heat they transfer from the cap is insufficient to affect the PETG plastic, which is simply holding the magnet as a press fit. Rmoving the cap picks up HalfPint! Obviously, HalfPint is a little on the lightweight side coming in at under 4-oz!

Again, I don't know how I ended up with this Flix-like arrangement but a lot of kudos to @mr_cfromcali for making that product available. Hell, I haven't even touched on variable voltage yet and this thing already rocks. But as we know, duplicating existing effort is not my goal. The next big thing is my goal. I think MagHeaters has got the right idea. Therefore, you DIY savants and wannabees, here above is a complete guide on how to make a HalfPint and the challenges you will see in doing so. If anyone want to pursue this build and would like some help or pieces, holler at me in PM or here.

@RedEyeFlightControl - when you say Stand, is that a charging stand and batteries reside in the IH wand or are you still remoting power? I had it in mind to do a cradle unit as a stand-alone with limited battery power since 'parking it' would keep the cells topped off. With tests, I can do 18350 with good reliablity. I find the 14500 IMR cells capable but it stresses the hell out of them. And don't forget 16340... not sure where that tech is, worth exploring. I still want to get to 2S for fully portable unit. The HalfPint FlatPack is the platform for now. It has room for battery management.

Speaking of battery management - I am following a very different school of thought than most. Right now, you need exactly 12.6V from a wall charger. That is so unrealistic that the range is suspect to start with. But that is a requirement of the standard issue BMS. Typically, you would also have a voltage regulator in front of that circuit so you can feed it 12V-ish and it will boost or buck the output to exactly 12.6V. The onboard chips of the BMS are very loose with li-ion specs. They are meant to be the last resort for protection while charging. I have enough experience with li-ion chargers to tell you that a cheap charger can cost one their home. They are no joke! And you see the level of risk makers take knowing this little fact. It is one reason I don't subscribe to 3D printed cases, or plastic cases for that matter, when building these high energy circuits. In safety speak, plastics are "fuel to a fire". You want the product to either extinguish itself or have nothing to burn in case of a fault. The only thing that can burn on the board is maybe the capacitors. I mean flame, not just smolders. Fire safety must be dealt with in choosing a proper housing. So back on subject, I will be exploring the hobby version of the 2S and 3S chargers. They take in a large input range and manage each cell individually like the BMS. But in this case,it is normally meant to be external of the device or pack. It does not manage the device's current load either, like a BMS does. Therefore, if a device cradle has the li-ion 2S/3S charger, the only thing the IH needs is 4 low power connections going to each cell. This can be done with spring type battery contacts in the cradle and contact points on the IH. Every time you park it, it charges. It doesn't take long to put back the 1-2 watt-hour you just used in you last session. How long would a super-cap hold up in an IH one asks? That would solve all this. But the stand-alone unit needs a revisit with regard to the charge regime. Portable means less crap. A BMS can be replaced with a fuse, easy. Due diligence safety demands a thermal fuse; okay if I have to; MOSFET switch is redundant and a welcome space savings; and I've always found the on-off switch redundant in this circuit w/caveat. MOSFET's fail closed, meaning they will push current when they fail. This thing will go stupid if left in this state. It may not even trip the 10 amp fuse because it may limit the power draw to (not likely but possible). This is the condition for the thermal fuse. HalfPint as built actually still has room for a thermal fuse under the magnet.

My next efforts need to go back to the FlatPack. I still want a 2S version that puts out 70 watts. That's 10 amps on the input. There are advantages to going one less cell.

In the past, what, 3 weeks or so I've dedicated the development to coils. Learned a lot! Mostly I learned how to manage the power levels of the IH with the number of winds and the overall length of the wire. I learned that under-gauged wire get hot, which changes the circuit while its heating, and that efforts are typically made to keep the coil temperatures manageable. I've determined that the ZVS "Standard" unit uses 30" of 12 gauge magnet wire for up to 120 watt operation. This is the baseline I use for varying operational parameters. Each coil-turn added represents roughly 5 watts of energy requirement reduction; each coil-turn reduced represents roughly 5 watts of energy requirement increase. I've played with 'over-coils' (multi-layers) and found them to be effective at tuning the circuit. A quick google search shows people have learned that length matters. Rather than put the extra length elsewhere, just continue to wrap the coils on the outside. I've also learned that a 20mm long coil is 9 turns of 12 gauge wire and that a 16mm ID is a good coil size. Your insert will probably determine the exact piece you need. However, that coil will be too short in wire length (impedance) so the additional length is carried on the outside of the coil contributing to the inductive coupling all the same.

I feel I've made a breakthrough in 'packaging' this latest housing. Time to go celebrate :spliff:

Sneak Peek.... A very tempting housing for the FlatPack. I picked up a couple of these for under $10. They come in gray, pink and this blue. They're great speakers but they make an even better housing for a tabletop IH.

20200628_122151.jpg
JLAB Crasher Mini ~$20

Need to find a failed one on eBay before I re-purpose the case. It even has covered I/O on two surfaces and a rubberized back plate!
Definitely a candidate for the remaining studies. FlatPack has significant space available for electronics north of the cells. 5v cell charger input cable would be the bomb with a little built-in boost converter. A 2 amp charger would be just about right for 12.6V charging at a 1/2 amp. Even faster if I can get this down to 2S and still have a good power delivery to the coil. That level of charge-tech is available on very simple chip-sets.

Feature list for an IRIH - 5v chage jack, 2 amp capable; metal flameproof housing; Atmel based chipset/Arduino based code; (goal) 2S 18650 cells; 75 watts power limit (longevity); pseudo-power regulation based on available power levels in the cells; IR themal regulation; Interface - Readback UI, intrusion detection interrupt, wake on contact, manual override, system status monitor, touch-slider temp control. And of course Zigbee with a computer controlled interface as a stretch goal.

Damn, this sounds like a go-fund-me project! LOL

One other thing since this is a DIY section. The standard ZVS module is a fairly tall structure. If you want a shorter version of the ZVS, and a more robust one at that, I might suggest starting to look at this unit. It is basically the same unit with more robust fets to drive it harder - read; tougher circuit. You'll still only use 12V and it will still output about what the little module does. But since the DV craze has warped the pricing on modules, it is worth looking at these lower profile layouts. Perfect DIY boards!
s-l600.jpg

Last edited:

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
@RedEyeFlightControl - when you say Stand, is that a charging stand and batteries reside in the IH wand or are you still remoting power? I had it in mind to do a cradle unit as a stand-alone with limited battery power since 'parking it' would keep the cells topped off. With tests, I can do 18350 with good reliablity. I find the 14500 IMR cells capable but it stresses the hell out of them. And don't forget 16340... not sure where that tech is, worth exploring. I still want to get to 2S for fully portable unit. The HalfPint FlatPack is the platform for now. It has room for battery management.

Having a base stand that charges a portable with batteries makes the most sense. Though you could always make a passive stand, which can just be used to hold the module when not in (tethered) use. Either is a great idea. I was going to go passive because I'm not looking at putting batteries in my wand idea just yet. I would be sure to include a switch for the cradle, though. If you set your heater on contacts every time, you're essentially micro charging and them micro-discharging the battery. This is called shoe-shining (thank you tape storage) and is really bad for performance (contributes to cell death due to a artificially large increase of charge cycles affecting the top 5% of the battery. It's better to get some longer discharge in, and let the battery cells cool so the balancer can properly assess and top them. My gut says this is *going* to piss off a BMS, and subsequently, the batteries, with an active input every 30 seconds, voltage flux betwen rest, work, and float charge values. You also run into a situation where the device can be fired on batter while charging. Very un-recommended. So there are a bunch of safety, performance, and chemistry details that should not be overlooked.

Thanks for sharing the notes on the coil info. Can you comment at all on 14g vs 12g? I have some 14 in the shop I'd like to play with and was wondering if you had thoughts on how they compare - any distinct performance/heat ratio you noticed? This is more just for personal interest at this point. I ordered 2 different versions of the shorter-height ZVS drivers to play with. They're fairly discrete in componentry (through-hole instead of SMD) and should make for a fun reverse-engineering project. SMD is really sweet but there's something to be said for the simplicity of TH when tinkering. These pre-fabs are more akin to what I had in mind, but I'd like to go tinier yet. All in due time, once I put out this first fire.

@TommyDee I know you've looked at 18650 and 18350 - I know there exists a 26650 and 26350 formfactor. They're beefier cells, and may give you the additional amp-hours for longer runtimes with slightly higher amp cap, too. Depends on if you can find high-drain 26350, though. I imagine they are rather hard to find. should have more snot than a 14, 16, and even 18 series battery. 2S 26350 would be about an 18650 high and 26mm wide in a tube layout. VERY compact (just over the size of a single 18650). Just be sure you are using proper high drain cells rated for this app, if they exist. There are plenty of Ecigs that run one or two 18350 so the cells probably exist. They're slightly more exotic however, since they're not as ubiquitous as the common 18650 lion and will definitely cost more.

Shoring your runtime wattage down and keeping your coupling in check now become far more important.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I get you now. Yes, small is also easier when you go source components that are more on the edge. Take a close look at the component sizes in the Lucid and the Fluxer. They are tiny compared to the standard model. So going real small is possible but you will be dealing with heat. Lucid did it with a cavernous enclosure and Fluxer/Flix did it with a metal can. Duty cycle is nothing for these things. So we are overkill by the very nature of only working half the circuit with everyday components. Smaller always costs more. Nothing wrong with that. Industry has made trillions on small.

I'm letting my own desires drive my direction. I need portable and I need convenient. I do need 2 IH's. However, the battery power units all exhibit sag. I hate that. I want constant power from my battery devices. That is one reason my new little Flix-clone was easier to sort into a fully functional device. It's just a Caldron. How hard should that be. Next is the PSM into a different beast based on the changes in BMS I described.

I don't subscribe to the li-ion stories as in it doesn't matter to me. I've been using li-ion cells in flashlights and hobbies for decades. The crumbs of capacity savings are no different than the flower we spill on the floor. I can take any of my 10 y/o cells and they will all read within 90% of their original capacity even today. And I've run them thousands of times in bicycle flashlights, topping them off after each ride. It is a purist myth. In practice, just watch the ratings. That internal resistance factor is the biggest one with our high drain requirement. That is what is killing my eFest 14500, both red and purple. They mismatch significantly during every daily cycle in the IH. That is why I nixed the 14500 form-factor. However, 18350 is nearly the same space in a holder and it has an extra 80% the power. These eFest 18350 are proving very tough. These are charging and discharging at a very comparable rate. And they rate to 10 amps. I run them at around 6-7 amps in the FlatPack. But putting a pack on trickle to keep them topped off, hell, that is what we do with our landline phones. Bottom line; it is not that I don't care about the care and health of my cells, I do because a non-performing cell is called garbage, but I very much want a 'regulated' experience out of an IH device. nd being topped off when I go outside every time is a form of power regulation, although way way wwaayy outside the box, but very applicable to my need. Do I care if 5% of my cell -disappears-? No! I'll never use it. Do I care if my cells get warm during charging and discharging, hell yes! My cells run cool at all times. The red 14500 eFest cells didn't. They did not live up to their performance rating.

I do have one rule about li-ion. NEVER run them under a high load at under 3V although 2.5V is their drop dead danger zone. Much like your warning on firing while charging, which of course requires fail-safe management, these units should all cut off when the voltage reaches 9V. I believe this is where the standard BMS could fall short. This is what I meant by their using very loosely spec'd chips. I worry a lot more about over charge on under charge that I ever worry about when to charge and when not to charge. All my li-ions are name brand and they are all performing ideally. I can even run my IH from protected cells. They just don't fit in cell holders. And I never let my cells get warm. Hot just means it is time to bin them. I also don't do salvage. Simply not worth it for the small packs we deal with.

I run 26650 on a few devices around the house. They do well keeping up with capacity bumps along with the 18650. 18350 boosts are recent, as in the last 2 years but they are catching up to the demand for smaller and the tech was easy to convert. I let everything be guided by cell form-factors. As yourself, why round cells? Totally impractical... Where for me it is the tech I trust. Li-po is and li-ion are nearly on par for power density. Li-po has the discharge rate advantage which we really don't need.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for people doing best practices on cells and designs. This goes all the way in the selection process of the design. I've selected the performance of the device will be enhanced by providing the best opportunity for the user to experience a fully charged device with every use in the spirit of consistency. Short of a simple way to regulate the device output, maintaining a fully charged cell as the device rests is a reasonable compromise for a consistent user experience. Of course, all safety measures with such a charging regime requires an intelligent and recognized BMS agent up to and including smart lockout during charging and a charge buffer to only begin charging when the cells hit a preset voltage. These are very simple techniques built into chip-sets for this purpose. Considering I am the user in question and I have experience in the rapidly sagging of on-board power which I find disheartening. I will sacrifice capacity and replace cells in their due time to maintain performance.

So see my advantage when you put the cells in your handheld device. A safe connector for 4 low power inputs, fused. A charge detection circuit to unlatch the fire enable. On the dock end you have smarts. That is where you put the BMS on steriods. It is essentially 3 separate floating li-ion chargers.

And if we were making e-vehicles my tac would be very different. Parallel cells is an insane proposition. You see how industry has finally managed the safety side of that.

Completely spaced the wire gauge of the coil part... 2x 14 gauge is 11 gauge. 2x 16 gauge is 13 gauge. This is good to know if you want more power through a wire, I thought. Well, I wound 2x 15 gauge magnet wire together to duplicate the 12 gauge. It got hotter than hell and it didn't heat the cap well. That was a fail. Why, I don't know, you probably do. Probably needed to loose the insulation between the twisted pair.

A coil can get very hot if you want. Just know that the impedance reduces when you do this and you are opening up the voltage swing but lowering power. How much heat can you tolerate? I tested a 14 gauge bare solid wire in a open coil of 10 turns. It got hot hot hot. I know I didn't want to go there and just put that option away.
My test was with a twisted pair of wires. You might have better luck with just winding the coil with a parallel pair of 14 gauge wires. In the end, you should read an idle current of about 0.1 to 0.2 amps per volt. 0.1 is excellent and says you have stray currents under control and 0.2 a bit more than anything I've seen on standard modules.

Last edited:
TommyDee,

RustyOldNail

Another “short” post from TD! :)

I probably understand 20% of your tech, so I’m going to ask you something that I’ve been wondering about, give me the short version if you can.

Most of my knowledge comes from my experience with ECig mods. I’ve owned a bunch, but all are single 18650 mods, though my favorites are single 21700 mods. I’ve never owned any that take 2-3 batteries, as I was never a cloud chaser. But what I’m wondering is, I’m aware that those multi battery mods had some type of balanced charging built in. I don’t fly drones, or other devices that need a balanced charger, so I’ve never needed to learn about them. I’ve seen the hobby units, but that’s it. So my curiosity is, I’m aware my FD is basically like a mechanical mod, in that as the voltage drops, the performance changes, and it’s not a regulated device like my DNA75c mods, with the Evolve chipset. As you know, these mods are quite small, granted they don’t house a big IH coil, BUT why can’t a IH have a regulated output, like my small ECig mods? I assume there is a tiny buck-boost built into those. Just something I’m curious about, maybe the whole IH electronics don’t allow or work well if regulated.

Thanks.

RustyOldNail,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Thanks for the question @RustyOldNail - simple reply - You can. Regulating the IH is a simple matter of input voltage. The power of the IH is wholly dependent on that.

Some kind of MOD with the right parameters could drive an IH. The MOD is the DC-DC converter. Most MODs are over-engineered for IH directly.

TommyDee,
Top Bottom