Da Buddha

coolbreeze

@Pukka shared this amazing news yesterday: elev8 Glass is making heater covers for the SSV, SSSV, and the Da Buddha meant to add balls to: https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/silver-surfer-vaporizer.2/page-338#post-1724039

Around Mother's Day you should be able to order a DBV heater cover modified to increase mass/surface area by adding balls. This will be a real upgrade for these wonderful vapes. Now they will compete safely with ball vapes for power!

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
@Pukka shared this amazing news yesterday: elev8 Glass is making heater covers for the SSV, SSSV, and the Da Buddha meant to add balls to: https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/silver-surfer-vaporizer.2/page-338#post-1724039

Around Mother's Day you should be able to order a DBV heater cover modified to increase mass/surface area by adding balls. This will be a real upgrade for these wonderful vapes. Now they will compete safely with ball vapes for power!
This news has me seriously considering getting a cosmetic second from Elev8 on ebay. I wouldn’t consider injector heads because of the potential for touching hot glass. This seems like it would be a fantastic way to get the power of a ball vape with the safety of an enclosed desktop without spending a massive amount like I would need to for the CouchLog, which is the only other ball type vape where the heater isn’t open and exposed. Then I could use this as my daily driver and sell off several of my portables. Definitely worth serious thought.

coolbreeze

This news has me seriously considering getting a cosmetic second from Elev8 on ebay. I wouldn’t consider injector heads because of the potential for touching hot glass. This seems like it would be a fantastic way to get the power of a ball vape with the safety of an enclosed desktop without spending a massive amount like I would need to for the CouchLog, which is the only other ball type vape where the heater isn’t open and exposed. Then I could use this as my daily driver and sell off several of my portables. Definitely worth serious thought.
It's a great vape stock and with the balls even better. If you don't mind the whip this is a perfect option for someone who can't have open coils. You can leave it run all day like a log. Depending on your setup you could have an all-glass path, but i like it through a small rig for some humidity. I have mine modded now but I'll be more'n happy to have something better/safer.

hoptimum

It's a great vape stock and with the balls even better. If you don't mind the whip this is a perfect option for someone who can't have open coils. You can leave it run all day like a log. Depending on your setup you could have an all-glass path, but i like it through a small rig for some humidity. I have mine modded now but I'll be more'n happy to have something better/safer.
I ordered the baller for the SSV and I‘ll be curious to see how it compares to my modded DBV.

hoptimum

I'll be looking forward to hearing it :tup:

I've been a/b testing the Baller vs. my modded SSV, and so far so good.
First, kudos to the whole team at Elev8, from the designers and glass blowers to quality control and shippers. My kit arrived in less than a week and replacing my heater cover with the Baller was very simple.
During my comparison, I tried to set them up as close as possible with temps and loads. It wasn't exactly like to like since the Baller is a spherical heater cover and my modded SSV is the ground glass version. But they were close enough.

For both, I set the dial at around 11 o'clock and ran them through the same bubbler. I used the same amount of herb with both, ground about medium in a Brilliant Cut grinder.

I alternated between the two for several sessions over about a week. Some days one seemed to hit a little better, but it varied. My unscientific conclusion is that they are very, very close in vapor quality and tastiness. In a blind tasting I would be hard pressed to say one was clearly better than the other.

Would I still buy the Baller? Absolutely. Even though the vapor quality is about the same, the peace of mind in having the balls safely enclosed within the heater cover without coming into direct contact with the heating rod is worth the reasonable price of admission, in my opinion.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

I've been a/b testing the Baller vs. my modded SSV, and so far so good.
First, kudos to the whole team at Elev8, from the designers and glass blowers to quality control and shippers. My kit arrived in less than a week and replacing my heater cover with the Baller was very simple.
During my comparison, I tried to set them up as close as possible with temps and loads. It wasn't exactly like to like since the Baller is a spherical heater cover and my modded SSV is the ground glass version. But they were close enough.

For both, I set the dial at around 11 o'clock and ran them through the same bubbler. I used the same amount of herb with both, ground about medium in a Brilliant Cut grinder.

I alternated between the two for several sessions over about a week. Some days one seemed to hit a little better, but it varied. My unscientific conclusion is that they are very, very close in vapor quality and tastiness. In a blind tasting I would be hard pressed to say one was clearly better than the other.

Would I still buy the Baller? Absolutely. Even though the vapor quality is about the same, the peace of mind in having the balls safely enclosed with the heater cover without coming into direct contact with the silicon rod is worth the reasonable price of admission, in my opinion.
Thanks for your review. This is the thing I'm interested in, that the performance is unaffected but the build is more secure. Mine is kind of janky and I can't wait to retire it.

hoptimum

Thanks for your review. This is the thing I'm interested in, that the performance is unaffected but the build is more secure. Mine is kind of janky and I can't wait to retire it.
I know what you mean. the heater covers can get jiggly after a while. Plus it doesn’t take much to start leaking 3mm glass beads. Having them bottled up is a great idea.

The Baller heater cover features a separate chamber for the balls, so the fit over the heating rod is a little different. But it fit pretty well.

The build of the new heater cover is nice and the glass is thick. the cap on top is a good idea, though it could fit a little tighter.

i think a Baller DBV could be a game changer for DBV lovers.

Spin0620

I know what you mean. the heater covers can get jiggly after a while. Plus it doesn’t take much to start leaking 3mm glass beads. Having them bottled up is a great idea.

The Baller heater cover features a separate chamber for the balls, so the fit over the heating rod is a little different. But it fit pretty well.

The build of the new heater cover is nice and the glass is thick. the cap on top is a good idea, though it could fit a little tighter.

i think a Baller DBV could be a game changer for DBV lovers.
Patiently waiting for the baller dbv 😳

coolbreeze

The Baller heater cover features a separate chamber for the balls, so the fit over the heating rod is a little different.
the peace of mind in having the balls safely enclosed within the heater cover without coming into direct contact with the heating rod
@hoptimum , is there like a central glass tube that fits around the heater, and then the outer wall, between which is the balls? I've looked at the pics on the website but as far as I can see it just looks like the mod with only an outer wall and the balls in contact with the heater? Can you show a pic? I'm just curious, really. If the results are great the inner tube must not adversely affect the heat getting to the balls...

coolbreeze,

hoptimum

@hoptimum , is there like a central glass tube that fits around the heater, and then the outer wall, between which is the balls?

That's exactly it. The balls are separated from the heater by a glass wall. I know it's not easy to tell from the pics on the site, and I was a little surprised. In practice, the balls are heated by the rod through the glass wall. Somehow it works.

I'll try to see if I can post a pic.

coolbreeze

That's exactly it. The balls are separated from the heater by a glass wall. I know it's not easy to tell from the pics on the site, and I was a little surprised. In practice, the balls are heated by the rod through the glass wall. Somehow it works.

I'll try to see if I can post a pic.
Awesome. I would imagine the heat would transfer more efficiently without the inner wall, but they've seen the boro balls sticking and probably figured that demanded a fix, hence the original heater enhancer and now the inner wall. As long as the balls turn color (are sufficiently heated) and the air is channeled through them, you'd get the desired effect: a broader column of more fully heated air.

Carpe Vapor

Have plowed through a lot of this thread and have not seen exactly what I'm looking for yet. What is the best setup for a DBV with a bubbler and all glass pathway? (i.e. no tubing in the mix)

Also, is the stock DBV wand 18mm?

Last edited:
Carpe Vapor,
Reactions: KidFated.

coolbreeze

No doubt - I'd have to hit and quit it and lift off the tube to clear.
Well take pics!

I've played around with hooking up directly to a vapor rig but I finally made do with a short piece of tubing for the flexibility: it's hard to line things up and slide them perfectly together, etc.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
No doubt - I'd have to hit and quit it and lift off the tube to clear.

I'd also be worried about anything with water (like a hydrotube) sitting right on top of the unit, just in case some water blowback gets into the unit. Nothing is sealed. It's all open.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

W00t! Here we go!
glasslarge-8__73234.1700688826.jpg

Thank you Steve and Co!!!

Last edited:

Spin0620

Anyone know when the kit will be available for the DBV? Seems like their dragging their feet on the DBV. 🙄

Spin0620,

coolbreeze

Top Bottom