COVID-19 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranquility

There have been plenty of failings across the board, but the onus was and remains on the Fed, and we see what happens with such a wretched coward in charge.
Let me get this right, you WANT a "wretched coward" in charge?

Or, would you rather a Federalist system where power devolves to those most affected?

To me, one of the best choices the Trump administration made was to not take power. Imagine if all the decisions for all the public health orders came from the Oval office.

See also "reserved powers" and the 10th amendment.
RESERVED POWERS

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/amendment-14/section-1/health-safety-and-morals

Last edited:
Tranquility,
Reactions: Summer

florduh

Let me get this right, you WANT a "wretched coward" in charge?

Or, would you rather a Federalist system where power devolves to those most affected?

To me, one of the best choices the Trump administration made was to not take power. Imagine if all the decisions for all the public health orders came from the Oval office.

I mean some kind of coherent, nationwide plan would be nice. If there is one from the Federal Government, I couldn't tell you what it is. Because the messaging has been so inconsistent. Viruses also don't really care about lines we've drawn in the dirt.

florduh,
Reactions: Planck

Gunky

In regard to the coronavirus I want the executive branch of our federal government to speak with one voice - the voice of science. And that voice should not be some orange moron free-associating about crackpot theories, undermining health experts, flogging bunkum miracle cures and pretending everything is fine when it is not. I want it to do what only the federal government can do: coordinate the activities of the individual states, bring together the top experts in the nation and give them the necessary resources, set national standards, get economies of scale by managing resources such as ventilators, PPE and the like, use presidential powers to cut through manufacturing bottlenecks and red tape, and offer appropriate financial and other support to state governments which are not allowed to run deficits. But most of all I want our president to stop lying and blustering about the coronavirus, pull up his socks and fucking fight it. This is a guy who has time to promote Goya beans, defend Confederate statues and the Confederate battle flag, denigrate people lawfully exercising their right to protest police brutality etc etc but won't fucking fight the goddam virus! No, he spreads it.

florduh

I can already tell you, based on the verbiage of this PDF, Floriduh is not following this plan. We've blown through every single phase, as cases and deaths rise. Florida's re-opening has been praised by the VP too. This doesn't seem coherent, to me. But hey, it is a plan.

It's also not helpful when a high ranking official retweets Chuck Woolery saying the whole thing is a hoax, and the CDC is in on it. This kind of mixed messaging isn't helping.

kimura

nice strawman. who here is advocating for all public health orders to come from the Oval Office?

It's an actual national emergency that demands a decisive, timely, and unified response. that's the nature of the threat. every man for them self is not a plan. of course Trump is incapable of doing the job, but that's what career professionals are for. sadly, career professionals (aka the deep state) have been steadily purged from the executive branch as they impede the gravy train of corruption that this administration represents.

the white house guidelines for reopening become a joke when they are undermined by the president on a daily basis

as an American, this is all just so embarrassing

Tranquility

At some point, the data will be in and generalities will be just that. I believe that the U.S. will end up having done as good a job as most any government. I also believe there will be a clear political differentiation in both the economies and the lives of each state's citizens. Unlike many here, I think that differentiation will be in favor of Republicans.

But, right now I don't see how blame as a generalized thing is useful. Complain about something specific? Great! Maybe we can do something about it. But this anti-anything of the current administration is something that is going to hurt a lot more than supposed purges of the experts. How many lives did the fight to prove Trump wrong on the hydroxychloriquine issue alone cost?

Here's where, when the blame starts coming, we should start. But, that's not today. Unless we can tell why all those D run states did so poorly, we should wait. (The biggest issue is the nursing home one, but, we don't know how the treatment of patients among the states have differed as yet.)

Top states' death rates per 100,000 people:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

1. New Jersey 175
2. New York 167
3. Connecticut 123
4. Massachusetts 121
5. Rhode Island 93
6. District of Columbia 80
7. Louisiana***** 74 (*'s are that, while the Governor is D, I think most of the government is R.)
8. Michigan 63
9. Illinois 59
10. Maryland 55

florduh

All these fucking hillbillies, ready to cover up in deer piss and head to toe camo for hours on end while waiting up in a deer blind, cant even put on a mask for 15 mins at Walmart.

That's what gets me. The Utah "Flash Mob" anti-mask protests aren't coming from the grocery store workers, who have to wear a mask for 8-12 hours per day while doing physical labor. It's from the fucking crybabies who don't want to wear one for 20 minutes while they buy treats.

Zoltani

That's what gets me. The Utah "Flash Mob" anti-mask protests aren't coming from the grocery store workers, who have to wear a mask for 8-12 hours per day while doing physical labor. It's from the fucking crybabies who don't want to wear one for 20 minutes while they buy treats.

74911481_2664289453822361_6969809046507087021_n.jpg

Tranquility

so... more densely populated areas are more vulnerable to covid-19 then less densely populated areas.

real "hot take" ya got there
There are certainly possible explanations that don't look as bad for the administrations of those states. But, there's some 'splainin to do. Before we start pointing fingers at everyone at everyone and demand explanations so we can assign blame, let's at least LOOK at the data.

Tranquility,

florduh

But, there's some 'splainin to do. Before we start pointing fingers at everyone at everyone and demand explanations so we can assign blame, let's at least LOOK at the data.

I don't think we have enough data to be placing that sort of internecine blame quite yet, unfortunately.

LkGktoc.png

Florida's coronavirus outbreak is getting worse

Florida is the new domestic epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, and it's on track to keep getting worse.

By the numbers: Of the 20 U.S. metro areas with the highest daily case growth, nine are in Florida, according to Nephron Research.

Driving the news: The state health department announced 132 new deaths yesterday, the most the state has seen since the pandemic began.

Between the lines: Deaths lag several weeks behind new cases, and cases are skyrocketing.

zor

At some point, the data will be in and generalities will be just that. I believe that the U.S. will end up having done as good a job as most any government. I also believe there will be a clear political differentiation in both the economies and the lives of each state's citizens. Unlike many here, I think that differentiation will be in favor of Republicans.

But, right now I don't see how blame as a generalized thing is useful. Complain about something specific? Great! Maybe we can do something about it. But this anti-anything of the current administration is something that is going to hurt a lot more than supposed purges of the experts. How many lives did the fight to prove Trump wrong on the hydroxychloriquine issue alone cost?

Here's where, when the blame starts coming, we should start. But, that's not today.

I disagree, the time is not only today, but from day one of this pandemic. People have short memories, there is consistent lying and downplaying of the facts from Trump's cabinet, and with so much lack of synchronization across states/regions there is no sign we have this under control. Outside of certain leaders getting sick and dying, I don't see much hope for any improvement, especially moreso if c19 can mutate to become more virulent or reinfect patients. Frauds must be called out for who they are.

There are quite a number of issues I have with the way the Fed managed this crisis.
Firstly, I believe that the federal government should take a lead role in the US response to C19; that's part of why it exists, to lead. When the rates and spread of infection began to be noticed in Feb a response plan to a global pandemic should have been enacted. The US has done this as recently as with MERS: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4547580/
The purchase/distribution of PPE was incredibly faulty, I'm in MA and our governor was fighting an uphill battle to get anything from the Fed as we were approaching our peak.
Trump's government kept downplaying the virus, claiming it would go away, had nowhere near sufficient empathy or concern for the country to take action to stifle the spread.
While I fully believe they lack the intelligence to comprehend the very basics of science, weaponizing the message and fabricating notions that you're losing your freedoms with mask mandates or this virus doesn't affect young people so we can open up the schools serves the GOP's agenda and, sadly, misleads a lot of gullible people. Instead of uniting, they are dividing.

Ugh, it makes me too frustrated to continue. I can only deeply hope the FC famiy stays safe and healthy, but I will eagerly wish sickness on our current leadership. Fuck em.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
We need to think of this as something like a bathing suit. When we go out in public, with a very few exceptions, what used to be called modesty (along with legal restrictions) compels us to wear at least a bathing suit.
To expand on this envision a highly contagious virus that caused you to urinate uncontrollably while also being spread through urine. Genital coverings would obviously help prevent people from getting pissed on. I wonder what the angle against wearing pants would be.

Tranquility

I disagree, the time is not only today, but from day one of this pandemic. People have short memories, there is consistent lying and downplaying of the facts from Trump's cabinet, and with so much lack of synchronization across states/regions there is no sign we have this under control. Outside of certain leaders getting sick and dying, I don't see much hope for any improvement, especially moreso if c19 can mutate to become more virulent or reinfect patients. Frauds must be called out for who they are.

There are quite a number of issues I have with the way the Fed managed this crisis.
Firstly, I believe that the federal government should take a lead role in the US response to C19; that's part of why it exists, to lead. When the rates and spread of infection began to be noticed in Feb a response plan to a global pandemic should have been enacted. The US has done this as recently as with MERS: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4547580/
The purchase/distribution of PPE was incredibly faulty, I'm in MA and our governor was fighting an uphill battle to get anything from the Fed as we were approaching our peak.
Trump's government kept downplaying the virus, claiming it would go away, had nowhere near sufficient empathy or concern for the country to take action to stifle the spread.
While I fully believe they lack the intelligence to comprehend the very basics of science, weaponizing the message and fabricating notions that you're losing your freedoms with mask mandates or this virus doesn't affect young people so we can open up the schools serves the GOP's agenda and, sadly, misleads a lot of gullible people. Instead of uniting, they are dividing.

Ugh, it makes me too frustrated to continue. I can only deeply hope the FC famiy stays safe and healthy, but I will eagerly wish sickness on our current leadership. Fuck em.
Again, there are (at least) two sides to each of what you claim. But I don't think we want to start discussing them here. If we were to go with the common wisdom of the time (At least by one political party.), Trump's decision to close the borders when he did was a horrible, terrible thing because racist orange man bad. How many lives were saved because of that choice? How many lives were hurt because of the gatherings encouraged by some high-ranking members on the coasts telling all those who listen to not pay attention to the man behind the curtain?

If we want to go down the who's fault all the problems are here, we can do it. I just don't think anyone really wants to in the first place and, unless we're talking about something that can change to help things, it just seems something sure to cause disruption in the community with little purpose.

Tranquility,
Reactions: Shrike

florduh

Trump's decision to close the borders when he did was a horrible, terrible thing because racist orange man bad. How many lives were saved because of that choice?

According to the CDC? Probably zero. The virus was already very much here by the time travel bans went into effect.

New CDC Report Confirms First COVID Cases in NY Came From Europe, Other States

A new report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is confirming other studies that have said the first cases of the coronavirus studied in New Yorkers came from Europe and other places in the U.S.

The airport screenings and bans on foreign nationals traveling from China implemented on Feb. 2 and restrictions for travelers from Europe implemented on March 13 did nothing to stop or slow the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes COVID-19, because it was already in New York City, according to the report released Thursday.

Tranquility

According to the CDC? Probably zero. The virus was already very much here by the time travel bans went into effect.

New CDC Report Confirms First COVID Cases in NY Came From Europe, Other States

A new report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is confirming other studies that have said the first cases of the coronavirus studied in New Yorkers came from Europe and other places in the U.S.

The airport screenings and bans on foreign nationals traveling from China implemented on Feb. 2 and restrictions for travelers from Europe implemented on March 13 did nothing to stop or slow the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes COVID-19, because it was already in New York City, according to the report released Thursday.
That (closing the borders was not good) is not what the CDC report claims. That's what Cuomo claims the CDC report implies.

But, wouldn't that be a problem for the ignore the man behind the curtain and come out and play with us politicians on both coasts?

Tranquility,

florduh

That (closing the borders was not good) is not what the CDC report claims. That's what Cuomo claims the CDC report implies.

But, wouldn't that be a problem for the ignore the man behind the curtain and come out and play with us politicians on both coasts?

The CDC report clearly implies it didn't help, because there was already widespread community transmission in NY when the EU travel ban went into effect. For any travel ban to have been effective, it would've needed to take place in December. The first known US case was in January.

florduh,

Tranquility

The CDC report clearly implies it didn't help, because there was already widespread community transmission in NY when the EU travel ban went into effect. For any travel ban to have been effective, it would've needed to take place in December. The first known US case was in January.
Do you recall the theory of flatten the curve? No one is claiming Trump was early enough to stop community spread. Track and trace was out the window before the border closings. The report talks of sustained community transmission and widespread community transmission as two different criteria-driven states. Just because the fire was already burning does not mean we needed to add fuel to the fire--especially when we were worried about exponential rise overwhelming the medical system.

The report had as its basis, " To limit SARS-CoV-2 introduction, the United States restricted travel from China on February 2 and from Europe on March 13, 2020. By March 15, community transmission was widespread in New York City (NYC). "

"Since I’m encouraging New Yorkers to go on with your lives + get out on the town despite Coronavirus, I thought I would offer some suggestions. Here’s the first: thru Thurs 3/5 go see “The Traitor” @FilmLinc. If “The Wire” was a true story + set in Italy, it would be this film.
— Bill de Blasio Tweet March 3.

March 11
https://ny.eater.com/2020/3/11/21175497/coronavirus-nyc-restaurants-safe-dine-out

People should still be going out to eat at restaurants, Mayor Bill de Blasio said in a press conference about the new coronavirus on Wednesday — emphasizing that the virus “does not transmit through food and drink.”

A week into the first confirmed COVID-19 cases in New York City, restaurateurs across the city say they’re already seeing reservation cancellations, while four huge dim sum restaurants in Sunset Park have closed in response to dropping sales as more people limit public outings.

In response to a question about how the city would help curb the economic impact, the mayor mentioned new no-interest loans for small businesses that experience a 25 percent decline or more due to new coronavirus. He also said that they’re “telling people to not avoid restaurants, not avoid normal things that people do.”

“If you’re not sick, you should be going about your life,” the mayor said.

And, the stupid coast (at about 1:30) on Feb 24:

You had me in agreement up until this. Seems to me you are contradicting yourself. :hmm:
It was satire to show how we all think.

Last edited:
Tranquility,
Reactions: Shrike

florduh

No one is claiming Trump was early enough to stop community spread.

No, but the travel bans are seen as a feather in Trump's cap. Even at the time I remember thinking, fine...but it's way too late for that to be effective. The virus was already here, spreading.

Just because the fire was already burning does not mean we needed to add fuel to the fire--especially when we were worried about exponential rise overwhelming the medical system.

Sure... but the fire was already burning and spreading without any further inputs. I guess they couldn't hurt, but the boat sailed on them having a big effect long before they were implemented.

Also... yes there were and are lots of dumb politicians running their mouths during this thing. The difference is my Governor sounds like De Blasio now. After we know how bad these outbreaks can get. That's a little different than hoping for the best in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom