Corona Vaping

uncanni

Literally hundreds of sources say otherwise. Check the numbers, besides, a percentage is a weird way to reference when there are potentially millions of undiagnosed cases which would dilute those stats heavily.

I insist that my numbers are correct. You can check sources again. No one said the final stats are in, but they are certainly in for previous years' annual flu deaths. My primary source is the NY Times and Dr. Anthony Fauci, so check yo bad self.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@uncanni / @invertedisdead - Setting aside the fact that the US hasn't performed enough tests to know the real Corona cases/denominator numbers yet ...... doesn't this come down to which metric, total yearly deaths or percentage of yearly cases causing death, you hang your hat on?

If you base your metric on deaths and number of cases you'll get one result. If you base it on total estimated deaths per year you'll get a different result. At least until the Corona test cases start accumulating more data.

At this point we only have one static metric to work from and that's the flu numbers, right?

We could really start getting bogged down in the details if we decided to add countries and geographies as well and shoot for a weighted average.

For the time being I'm reserving judgement and will do something productive like steal my neighbor's stash of toilet paper. Be right back :lol:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Thanks for keeping the discussion factual. The amount of disinformation out there now is overwhelming.

If you compare this info from the CDC https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html and extrapolate it with their estimates for the common flu, more deaths have occured daily (in the US) from influenza, than the total reported deaths from the corona virus.

I also found this information interesting regarding the connection with SARS, which apparently was also a 'coronavirus' - note the origin was China for that coronavirus as well.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dis...ase-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it

invertedisdead,
Reactions: Godspeed

Relaxed

This Space For Rent
If you compare this info from the CDC https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html and extrapolate it with their estimates for the common flu, more deaths have occured daily (in the US) from influenza, than the total reported deaths from the corona virus.

I also found this information interesting regarding the connection with SARS, which apparently was also a 'coronavirus' - note the origin was China for that coronavirus as well.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dis...ase-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it

I've brought that up in another forum, and got slammed for "not taking the Wuhan virus seriously". We've had more deaths in the USA from the flu then the entire world has had with this virus. Somehow people don't think that's relevant.

virtualpurple

After 4 decades of cannabis use with hardly any breaks.....I deal with illness and cannabis use on a case by case basis.

I've cumbusted cannabis or tried to through colds, flu, respiratory and sinus issues. In other words ... if it didn't hurt or add to the symptoms/issues I smoked up. Sore throats for example was a no go but smoking with most colds was fine.

I've been told cannabis vapor is an expectorant. An expectorant is something that helps loosen mucus so you can cough it up. It does this by increasing the water content of the mucus, thinning it out, and making your cough more productive. Since Corona can cause pneumonia (lung inflammation caused by bacterial or viral infection, in which the air sacs fill with pus and may become solid. The last thing anyone with Corona needs is "increasing the water content of the mucus in your lungs" since you're already at risk without adding more liquid to the lungs. So if I feel like I've got the Corona virus this will signal the start of a T-break. I'm not a doctor but I do play one on FC ;)

If I weren't healthy I'd probably consider that T-break the second my geographical area became a hot spot but for the time being I'm taking a wait and see.

Here's some info my company sent that may help:
Subject: Stanford Notes on Coronavirus

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can you know if you are infected? By the time you have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% fibrosis.

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning: Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and then the lungs. That's very dangerous.

Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS:
1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold.
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees C. (About 77 degrees F.) It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it goes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface, wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS:
1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs,
causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

I would highly recommend taking this down, or at least good amounts of it.

the blurb about self testing for fibrosis is categorically false.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/taiwan-experts-self-check/

Please don’t wait for a reply from the sender in the group you belong to, or wait for corroboration, it has been pretty well debunked already.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/viral-social-media-posts-offer-false-coronavirus-tips/

I would highly recommend folks listen to this episode of the Joe Rogan podcast featuring Michael Osterholm, an expert in infectious disease.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Percentages matter a lot because this is a new virus that is spreading very fast. Total numbers don't tell the whole story. SARS 2 has a much higher morality rate than influenza.

The CDC estimates up to 50 million US cases (or more!) of the influenza virus since Oct 1 2019. That's 333,000 cases PER DAY in just one country. Those numbers are staggering compared to the 1200 cases of COVID19.

SARS 2 has a much higher morality rate than influenza.

Over 30,000 deaths last year in the United States alone from influenza (it's an extremely deadly virus, after all...)

Versus 30 currently from COVID-19. That's two more decimal places, it would have to pick up considerably to reach those levels.

At any rate I don't intend to undermine the severity of this great issue, I just don't want us to lose sight of the forest for the trees.

Last edited:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
You know if things get worse you're gonna need this

I don't think the vapor gun will be enough to protect me against my zombie neighbors that might try to steal my stock of TP and water. I've got better guns at the ready should it come to that. ;)

Since I have bronchitis, I've made the decision to switch to edibles for the time being in case I get hit by this damn thing. Thankfully, the MagicButter machine I got my dauther for Xmas is coming in handy.:nod:

:peace:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
IMG-2332.jpg

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I completely agree that if it goes from 25 people per day to 300,000 people per day we should be very concerned. But on that note you'd think the media should be speaking out a lot more regarding flu prevention since it is a greater threat to Americans at this point in time. Seems like these viruses affect the same type of immuno-compromised people and use the same preventative methods though?

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
If we don't keep this under control from the start (and I think that we are already too-little, too-late on that front here)...then a LOT more people in the USA are going to die than the normal yearly flu deaths.

Most of us (50-% - 70% of our US population, from what I've read) will probably have had Covid19 a year from now.

virtualpurple

Hopefully this is a good eye opener and people that aren’t concerned may be regretful later. We still do not fully understand the transmission of the virus nor the pathogenesis. While influenza virus is constantly evolving to different strains we have the advantage of having plenty of history of exposure, which also has led to a lot of development of immunity, which we don’t have the advantage of here. And influenza isn’t airborne, while coronavirus seems to have more of an airborne component to it

The US is terribly unprepared for the potential of the spread of this virus if tight precautions are not taken. There isn’t enough tests available, there isn’t enough hospital staff, there isn’t enough protective gear for the existing hospital staff (N95 masks constantly are in supply in hospitals and there is no national stockpile).

Our suppliers of most medical supplies and many of our pharmaceuticals are in China, so we are very much hampered in our supply chain.

we are on the right track by canceling events and promoting self-quarantine. Hopefully folks will take note and stop bringing children around grandparents and will be far less foolish about unnecessary travel. but we should’ve started preparing and taken things seriously far sooner.

I gotta admit, I won’t be disappointed if this puts the cruise ship industry out of business (1 million vehicles worth of pollution in a single day from a cruise ship).

Here’s a set of charts worth a gander

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...12/21172040/coronavirus-covid-19-virus-charts

uncanni

Hopefully this is a good eye opener and people that aren’t concerned may be regretful later.
I gotta admit, I won’t be disappointed if this puts the cruise ship industry out of business (1 million vehicles worth of pollution in a single day from a cruise ship).
Here’s a set of charts worth a gander
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...12/21172040/coronavirus-covid-19-virus-charts

Thank you!! One of the more rational responses on this topic. Classes at the university where I teach have been cancelled and plans have been made to move to "distance education" starting Mar. 23. I have no problem isolating myself at home right now and weathering the storm. It's a storm that's throwing the globe into a profound economic crisis that has no precedent.

There is a paradox: The US is being led by the dumbass in the white house who is deeply in denial about reality in general and who has clearly been deeply in denial about the enormity of this health crisis, which is also causing panic ("what if I run out of toilet paper!!!???) and hostile xenophobia (egged on by that same fascist in the white house): https://abc7ny.com/6003396/ My view is that the US is particularly unequipped to deal with the health crisis because "it" voluntarily submits to the will of a madman tyrant.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Crysis the shops here hard last night.. They are declaring nation wide emergency state,with forceful quanrantine ,barring of travel,social events etc. There photos from 2 am showing overcrowded super markets people stocking on toilet paper and shit,lol... I am not worried cause we are the poorest country in EU and out people just dont have enogh money to buy everything off the shelves :D....
Some people seem to run off quarantine in their panic.Conditions in Bulgarian hospitals are medieval,so i dont blame them really.. It is a well known fact that if you go to a Bulgarian hospital with one problem you will leave with another 5 due to poor hygenie,staff shortages and bad building management. Sadly they managed to get a lot of other people sick,which were their family members and friends ,two of them died,it is a tragedy,but you reap what you sow.They are discussing penalty of 10 minimal salaries for those who break quanratine as a counter measure... Maybe shoot on sight is next.
You may all think that i am one sick son of a bitch,but this freakin planet is way too overcrowded,those kind of plagues are a think trough the ages. Maybe it is like the Codryceps fungi ,controlling the population of the insects so they dont destroy the planet.
Science has calculated that the optimal population of humans should be around 500 000 000 or we will destroy the planet, and that was done back in the 70-80s when we were already 1000% above the maximum,no one cared ,now it is what it is ...

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
And influenza isn’t airborne, while coronavirus seems to have more of an airborne component to it

People with flu,” explains senior author Donald K. Milton, professor of environmental health at the University of Maryland, “generate infectious aerosols (tiny droplets that stay suspended in the air for a long time) even when they are not coughing, and especially during the first days of illness.”

The common belief is that flu is spread through coughs and sneezes from infected individuals and from touching surfaces contaminated with the virus.

However, the new study reveals that people with the flu can shed the infectious virus into the air around them just by breathing.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320690

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
You know what...

I just turned my vape off. No matter how much I want or need it, my lungs always react negatively to vaping and its always just a question of minimising the negatives and waiting for them to pass.

Just in case things go wrong, my lungs need to not be in recovery mode from vaping every day, all day.

Time to change.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
I have done the same and as I was working from home made a batch of canna flapjacks! Prefer to vape but not sure whether it is worth the risk at the moment. It might be an over-reaction but got to be comfortable with the decisions we make.

Yeah, same, I'd rather vape. But my lungs dont like vapour, its not a difficult fix just to be safe for a bit.

Top Bottom