Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

Caligula

Maximus
Butane (or propane or whatever else gas) burns at the same temp, no matter how "big" the torch is. You may be able to get more heat into something by having a LARGER flame, but it wont be "hotter". That said, Id assume you want something small enough that you can concentrate the flame where you need it?

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Correct, right now I am concerned about being able to focus the heat on the nail and was concerned of the close proximity of the sherlock stem next to the nail- which makes me want something the size of a creme brûlée torch.

However, I hate having to refill and go through expensive butane, so the larger torches from Home Depot came into consideration due to the $3 propane tanks.

GFG_73_377__60604.1352951131.1280.1280.jpg

FlyingLow,
Reactions: ataxian

Caligula

Maximus
So heres my somewhat successful attempt at a low temp dab of some very nice lemon skunk shatter I just got, while using a marble to "carb" the hit. See what you think (recorded in 1080 for detail):

By far the best tasting dab I've done on this rig yet!

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Nice! I notice your nail holds heat and produces smoke far longer than my quartz castle does with a similar size dab.

On one of your future vids, would you close up on the nail during your heating process so I can see what it is supposed to look like when ready? Perhaps I am not getting hot enough with my two flame pocket torch.

walrus

So heres my somewhat successful attempt at a low temp dab of some very nice lemon skunk shatter I just got, while using a marble to "carb" the hit. See what you think (recorded in 1080 for detail):

By far the best tasting dab I've done on this rig yet!

Tasty looking dab. That marble would be a pretty perfect carb if it had like a channel carved into it so you could just set it on top and still let air through the channel. That nail looks like it would work well with a regular ti carb cap.

walrus,
Reactions: Caligula

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I bet a dremel tool and a drill bit could make short work of that. Poke 2-3 times through the marble at various angles so that at least one airway is always pointed down and available.

FlyingLow,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Nice. I have had the pleasure of meeting Willie a couple of times in my life. He is one very classy gentleman.
I like all kinds of music.
Willie's music is raw and real!
Snoop Dog is of a different generation however I like his stuff as well.

Those two can medicate.

@Caligula is an expert vaporist.
He's my reference to medicating seriously!

Normally I sip my water pipes were our friend Caligua takes 2 monster size rips.

Cool you met Willie. I was an extreme surfer before I got ataxia. The most famous legends were the nices people.

We can learn a lot from the previous generations!

I have a new bubbler arriving tomorrow! The ones I have are great.
There so cheap it's hard not to get more even if one is enough!

Sorry I don't want to to get too off topic so first let me say something on topic. I completed my first QWET avb run with moderate success a few days ago and will post up some pics and a report later today.

@ataxian yes man. I also like Snoop a lot! I also know that you were a surfer. I remember from before. I surf a little but I am not good. Sadly I grew up a little too far from the ocean to really get good. What you say about the legends are true. As a boy I met Mark Richards and he was one of the nicest guys you could meet. I remember seeing Tom Carroll the same day and asking him for an autograph. He completely ignored me :( Occy is a hero of mine. I shed a tear for sure when he came back and won the world title. Anyway, I also have a love for surfing and surf culture. I would love to see a thread called @ataxian 's surf tales :) You ever surfed Mavericks?

Caligula

Maximus
Nice! I notice your nail holds heat and produces smoke far longer than my quartz castle does with a similar size dab.

On one of your future vids, would you close up on the nail during your heating process so I can see what it is supposed to look like when ready? Perhaps I am not getting hot enough with my two flame pocket torch.

I typically heat it until all the residue from the previous dab burns off and the nail looks clean

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
ataxian[/USER] yes man. I also like Snoop a lot! I also know that you were a surfer. I remember from before. I surf a little but I am not good. Sadly I grew up a little too far from the ocean to really get good. What you say about the legends are true. As a boy I met Mark Richards and he was one of the nicest guys you could meet. I remember seeing Tom Carroll the same day and asking him for an autograph. He completely ignored me :( Occy is a hero of mine. I shed a tear for sure when he came back and won the world title. Anyway, I also have a love for surfing and surf culture. I would love to see a thread called @ataxian 's surf tales :) You ever surfed Mavericks?
Back in 1977 being a California Surfer my Dad telling us kids were moving to HAWAII! I thought not a bad place to relocate. I ended up on the NORTH SHORE living on the beach!

I surfed with lengends.
Pipeline was my play ground as well as many other breaks.
I won't name names publicy however you named some who were friends of mine.

One think we all share is CANNABIS.
God gave us a wonderful natural medicine. Man in his self proclaiming wisdom has made a demon out of a harmless plant?

It all good by friend!

Last edited:

Stiggy

I use the torch on the lowest setting it will reliably ignite at. I have torched the quartz castle nail at the highest setting. It survived just fine. Also torched my nail repeatedly with my buddies TS4000 with map gas. I'm not worried about damaging it with the torch at all.

Correct, right now I am concerned about being able to focus the heat on the nail and was concerned of the close proximity of the sherlock stem next to the nail- which makes me want something the size of a creme brûlée torch.
Looks like there tons of room around that pipe for a large torch. I think you may be too concerned about clearance.

Butane (or propane or whatever else gas) burns at the same temp, no matter how "big" the torch is. You may be able to get more heat into something by having a LARGER flame, but it wont be "hotter". That said, Id assume you want something small enough that you can concentrate the flame where you need it?
Not quite. The do have different flame temps but they are only different by a couple hundred degrees. Map however has better heat transfer properties. The original MAPP gas which is unavailable had a 2000 degree hotter flame than propane or butane. The new MAPP replacement MAP-Pro, is only like 200 degrees hotter, but I think still has better heat transfer.

Last edited:

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
Tasty looking dab. That marble would be a pretty perfect carb if it had like a channel carved into it so you could just set it on top and still let air through the channel. That nail looks like it would work well with a regular ti carb cap.
My HE Carb cap is 13/16" inside diameter.

DieHard,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I use the torch on the lowest setting it will reliably ignite at. I have torched the quartz castle nail at the highest setting. It survived just fine. Also torched my nail repeatedly with my buddies TS4000 with map gas. I'm not worried about damaging it with the torch at all.

Looks like there tons of room around that pipe for a large torch. I think you may be too concerned about clearance.

Not quite. The do have different flame temps but they are only different by a couple hundred degrees. Map however has better heat transfer properties. The original MAPP gas which is unavailable had a 2000 degree hotter flame than propane or butane. The new MAPP replacement MAP-Pro, is only like 200 degrees hotter, but I think still has better heat transfer.
Blazer BT 8000 $51.50 Amazon

ataxian,

jdee

DIY enail is great if you enjoy cutting down on consumable items like butane. It also makes it way easier to do low temp/carb capped dabs, since you can dial in and hold the exact temp you wish.

jdee,
Top Bottom