Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

Caligula

Maximus
I did, from what I gather you do it do retain the vapors and slow the boil down on LOW TEMP dabs. FWIW.

Caligula,
Reactions: DieHard

farscaper

I did, from what I gather you do it do retain the vapors and slow the boil down on LOW TEMP dabs. FWIW.
fuck yea dude. that was sweet! dropped one in... it was way too hot.... new nails are always a bitch.... but I dropped a bigger bomb in and lost the heat....

said fuck it and hit it lightly with the little torch while the marble was on top and baa-zing! low temp dabs! (plural) so that is a nice perc for the cup over the castle.... cant just use a marble on the castle... but there has already been a solution to that posted.

walrus

I just carb my domed nail with my thumb. If I wait 10-15 seconds after heating I get a nice, regular dab. If I wait 20-25 seconds the oil pools in the nail a little and doesn't release as dense a vapor immediately. As soon as I put my thumb over the dome so that most of the air is blocked off, the rig milks up nicely and the pooled oil is vaped away. I prefer the taste of the second, carbed hit more than the first type but you do run the risk of letting it cool a bit too much and leaving some pooled concentrate in the nail. It can just be burned off the next time you heat but it is a waste. With a domeless ti nail and carb cap, you can reheat the capped nail a bit to vape the rest of that oil if needed.

Stiggy

Not at all.

Sorry for the camera going buggy, it really didn't like those lighting conditions and I didn't notice until after.

Whats cool about this nail is that I can hold the female end in my hand and still torch the nail head. Doesnt even get warm down there. What way I get more control and dont worry about my glass.

...is that a bad idea? Do these shatter?
Dude, with a fitted quartz nail theres no need to remove the nail from the piece and heat it then put it back on the piece. Especially with a FEMALE fitted piece that goes OVER the male fitting of your pipe. Theres nothing for your quartz to shatter even if it did get hot and expand on that end, which it doesn't. I have a similar quartz nail(that i used to use) that is just like yours but the fitted piece is male. I would heat that bitch up while it was in the pipe all the time, never an issue. A male fitted nail has a chance of causing an issue because it goes inside the female glass fitting and when heated could expand against it. Pieces busting from a hot nail are usually from certain kinds of TI nails that are heated when in the pipe because TI expands from heat at a much more rapid rate than glass. Like male fitted domeless $30 amazon TI nails, those are notorious for shattering glass when heated while in the pipe.

Trust me, leave it on the piece. It will save you a bunch of extra effort and reduce the risks of burning the shit out of yourself(and possibly your house down) and make your dabbing experience much more relaxing when you don't worry about that shit. ;)

farscaper

Dude, with a fitted quartz nail theres no need to remove the nail from the piece and heat it then put it back on the piece. Especially with a FEMALE fitted piece that goes OVER the male fitting of your pipe. Theres nothing for your quartz to shatter even if it did get hot and expand on that end, which it doesn't. I have a similar quartz nail(that i used to use) that is just like yours but the fitted piece is male. I would heat that bitch up while it was in the pipe all the time, never an issue. A male fitted nail has a chance of causing an issue because it goes inside the female glass fitting and when heated could expand against it. Pieces busting from a hot nail are usually from certain kinds of TI nails that are heated when in the pipe because TI expands from heat at a much more rapid rate than glass. Like male fitted domeless $30 amazon TI nails, those are notorious for shattering glass when heated while in the pipe.

Trust me, leave it on the piece. It will save you a bunch of extra effort and reduce the risks of burning the shit out of yourself(and possibly your house down) and make your dabbing experience much more relaxing when you don't worry about that shit. ;)
I disagree... not due to heat.... but sticky reclaim will cause it to stick to the piece... unless you keep it free from sticking.... you can even get a dome stuck if you dont keep it clean.... so if he just blasts it over and over the claim that will collect and run down the center tube will eventually cause it to stick... thats why all the high end rigs are doing away with ground joints.... the slick glass wont stick as much if at all.

you probably will never see this happen in your case @Stiggy cause your using a nail that goes into the joint @Caligula is using a nail that goes over the joint... so that will be more likely to have claim run into the pores of the ground joint and if allowed to build up and cool will cause it to seize to the glass... cause thats naures glue.

@FlyingLow most oil rigs come with a male joint because they have a stock dome.... domeless is still pretty new at like the last few years, but oil rigs have been around a lot longer.... you should check oil the old school swing rigs like from hashmasterkut. that would seem confusing in comparison to the nail.

Stiggy

I disagree... not due to heat.... but sticky reclaim will cause it to stick to the piece... unless you keep it free from sticking.... you can even get a dome stuck if you dont keep it clean.... so if he just blasts it over and over the claim that will collect and run down the center tube will eventually cause it to stick... thats why all the high end rigs are doing away with ground joints.... the slick glass wont stick as much if at all.

you probably will never see this happen in your case @Stiggy cause your using a nail that goes into the joint @Caligula is using a nail that goes over the joint... so that will be more likely to have claim run into the pores of the ground joint and if allowed to build up and cool will cause it to seize to the glass... cause thats naures glue.
No one was talking about reclaim buildup seizing a nail in place??? He said he removes his nail to heat it because he is worried about it breaking his piece(from thermal expansion). He does not need too. In any event reclaim buildup is a non issue if you're leaving the nail on the piece like it should be. If you need to remove the nail and theres alot of reclaim buildup just hit the the fitting joints briefly with a torch, NBD.

Caligula

Maximus
I torch my nail clean between dabs. Should I not be doing that? Seems like reclaim isnt much of an issue seeing as how it never builds up more than a few dabs worth before meeting incineration

Caligula,
Reactions: ataxian

Stiggy

I torch my nail clean between dabs. Should I not be doing that? Seems like reclaim isnt much of an issue seeing as how it never builds up more than a few dabs worth before meeting incineration
You talking the entire nail or the head where the dab is applied? If just the head of the nail, why? Its gonna get torched off when you prep for your next dab. So you're just wasting fuel. If you torch the whole thing, also why? Leave it on the piece, let it get resinated as shit, except for the head obviously. Then when you wanna clean your piece, stick the whole assembled piece(minus water) in the oven at 250(settings vary). All the reclaim will melt and gravity will do all the work draining the claim from the nail and everywhere else in the piece so that it all pools at the low points in the piece. Then remove the nail and pour the oil out of the piece. Or you can ISO soak and reclaim the oil that way.

Reclaim is one of the things I find totally awesome about concentrates. I believe I can keep on medicating months after I'm all out of fresh extracts with all the reclaim I have. Reclaim dabs may not be the best tasting, but they are rather potent.

Stiggy,

Caligula

Maximus
What I meant was that it torches clean when heating up the next time I dab.

As for reclaim, I usually toss it?

Last edited:
Caligula,
Reactions: DieHard

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
So my tiny pock lighters are a bit inefficient at heating up my nail, and was hoping you all might direct me to what I need.

What torch should I get? I am using this exclusively with a quartz castle nail on a 14" sherlock bubbler, and do not see myself getting any other nails anytime soon.

Do I go with this one from Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzoma...iting-Torch-Kit-336626/203368720?N=5yc1vZbqmd

Or do I go with the smaller creme brûlée torch found at Walmart:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fox-Run-Craftsmen-Creme-Brulee-Torch/15142207

farscaper

So my tiny pock lighters are a bit inefficient at heating up my nail, and was hoping you all might direct me to what I need.

What torch should I get? I am using this exclusively with a quartz castle nail on a 14" sherlock bubbler, and do not see myself getting any other nails anytime soon.

Do I go with this one from Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzoma...iting-Torch-Kit-336626/203368720?N=5yc1vZbqmd

Or do I go with the smaller creme brûlée torch found at Walmart:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fox-Run-Craftsmen-Creme-Brulee-Torch/15142207
ive been using the new model of bernzomatic butane torch from homedepot. its excelent for centering the flame for the center of a castle. if you want something quieter thats a good choice... its a little smaller than the creme torch, which is also a fine choice. they have about the same burn out rate as the bernzomatic and vector torches... some will last forever and some crap out after a year.
a propane torch is also a good choice... fast and overkill.. but fuel is cheap, cheaper than butane... but its loud... and the only suggestion I can make is make sure its self ignited.

farscaper,
Reactions: BarnBoy

Stiggy

I have a Rosle Creme Brulee Torch.. and a Bernzomatic TS8000. I use the TS8000 almost all the time.

Don't get any other Bernzomatic big torch than the TS8000. My buddy made the mistake of grabbing a TS4000 kit when the local Home Depot didn't have the TS8000 on the shelves. Last I checked the Home Depot by me had only one TS8000 and a bunch of TS4000s. Anyway, the TS4000 does not have a flow control valve like the TS8000. The TS8000 has a sort of vortex nozzle and when you crank up the gas it creates an enormous torch. While the TS4000 will work to heat up a nail, its an always max power torch. You will burn through fuel fast with them and they are loud. You can't watch a movie and heat your nail without pissing off everyone in the room trying to watch the movie.

I use the TS8000 with a big fatboy cylinder of worthington propane, the cheap green cylinders at home depot. I think they are around $3.50. I set the flame to the lowest that it will reliably ignite at which still produces a 5 inch long flame and makes less noise than my Rosle torch except for the initial POP of the TS8000 torch igniting. I've gone through 3 cylinders of that propane since getting the TS8000 6 months ago. So nice not having to refill a torch every few days.

When I got the TS8000 it came with a fatboy map gas cylinder. Home depot doesn't seem to carry fatboy map gas cylinders around me anymore so I gave the worthington propane a try. It was 1/3 the cost of map gas, so why not? The TS8000 whistles a little at low flow with Map gas and is just louder in general with Map gas. The TS8000 doesn't whistle with the propane.

I love my TS8000! Gets my quartz castle nail hot enough at the above settings in about 10 seconds. Even with a flame thats 5 inches long, its like a big cone and i just direct the point into the castle.

Some people get weird when you bring out a big torch though...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-Premium-Torch-Head-334494/203718633?N=5yc1vZbqoo

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Worthington-Pro-Grade-16-4-Oz-Propane-Cylinder-2-Pack-303978/203122888

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Can having too large a torch cause damage to glass?
Can it effect color, strength or shape?

Or does one need a much hotter temp to cause damage?

FlyingLow,
Top Bottom