Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

Axel_420

As someone who is inexperienced with concentrates, I have always wondered why many people seek out and prefer a system that also cools a lot during use, for example, a classic banger (hot start), as opposed to a device that should have a more stable temperature such as an enail or some erigs.

Can someone help me understand this specific aspect regarding temperature, assuming I have not misinterpreted it? I understand wanting to have a wider temperature range, but from coldest to hottest and not the other way around?

Axel_420,

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
The goal is to keep your piece at working temp as long as possible. If you heat it to just above working temp it’s going to fall quick, if you heat it well above working temp, the piece (and any bits you throw in) will stay heat soaked and in the working zone longer as it drops temp.

Cooling is not a goal, it’s a reality that needs to be dealt with. Thicker walls and longer heat soaks are your weapons to combat it.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
One can try to find consistency with checking temps on your wrist, but there really is no precision with that. Different concentrates and bangers often require different temps to really dial into perfection. I really favor perfect temp dabs versus not.

Someone once said, you miss 100% of the dabs you don’t temp.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah, with a developed analog torching skill ya' just sort of get a developed instinct for how each of your individual nails should feel with a palm or wrist temp-check.

^ That can work better than an exact measured temp every time, with some practice, because everything requires a slightly different temp to vaporize best for that particular concentrate.

Yeah I too would pretty much totally disagree with this assessment lol perhaps some people can do it, but for me it was a crap shoot essentially every time until I got something to read the temp... It is not that simple that anyone can naturally develop the sense of heat radiating off with their hand lol

As someone who is inexperienced with concentrates, I have always wondered why many people seek out and prefer a system that also cools a lot during use, for example, a classic banger (hot start), as opposed to a device that should have a more stable temperature such as an enail or some erigs.

Can someone help me understand this specific aspect regarding temperature, assuming I have not misinterpreted it? I understand wanting to have a wider temperature range, but from coldest to hottest and not the other way around?

I've seen it argued that there is something special about the way the temperature drops during the dab, that is preferable, it also heats the entire quartz much more thoroughly with a torch, instead of just one part heated by enail or erig bucket, especially because that limits the type of bangers and dab styles you can do... Every difference in method is just part of a different experience, so none of them are necessarily universally superior really

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I dunno, I've found sticking to specific temps to be problematic, because different concentrates require different temps.
That's why I say developed feel and skill (that usually requires a lot of ruined dabs and a LOT of practice before one gets to that skill level) beats a set temp every time. The experience of all the ruined dabs adds up, and you start to get the feel for it with time.

Ramahs,
Reactions: Shrike

Shit Snacks

I dunno, I've found sticking to specific temps to be problematic, because different concentrates require different temps.
That's why I say developed feel and skill (that usually requires a lot of ruined dabs and a LOT of practice before one gets to that skill level) beats a set temp every time. The experience of all the ruined dabs adds up, and you start to get the feel for it with time.

In theory yes, but then how do you know which dab requires which temp level, and then what that feels like each time?? Having a temp setting limits the variable, I don't know how to know what each individual dab needs, but shooting for around 600F with what I'm using for all my different bangers and concentrates seems to work pretty well

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: LesPlenty

AndyO

Well, despite everyone here giving me some great advice, I still wasn't confident that I was getting the most out of my concentrates, so more often than not I'd just run them through the head of my Flower Kettle.

I'd seen some great reviews on the New Peak though, and I've always been prepared to double down on a similar, better product...

Anyway, I was cynical, but damn I'm really enjoying this so far. Super easy to use, massive clouds, real smooth. Highly recommended!

AndyO

I wanted to come back to this after a week of use.

I've bought a stupid amount of vapes this year. The VerdaVap, the Flower Kettle (not sure if it was 2024?), the Screwball, the Ruby Twist have all been incredible, I love the variety and use them all a lot; I have a Tempest on the way, given my love for the Anvil and the Stunner I'm sure I'll love it too.

The PuffCo New Peak might be my Vape of the Year in terms of importance. My ability to source medicinal concentrates coincided with the worst winter I've had with my back in a decade. But I've been dealing with a Core 2.1 that I just haven't been able to figure out and get any good clouds out of, and running it through the Kettle head which makes me cough like crazy. (I'm fortunately not much of a cougher at all, but when I do it's ferocious.)

Concentrates just wasn't an enjoyable experience.

Now it is. I can use this New Peak as much or as little as I want. I'm able to use it comfortably during the day to help with my back.

I had a friend make a special trip from interstate over the weekend to 1) go to the footy and 2) experiment with my ridiculous vape collection. The one thing I got him to bring for me to try was his Focus Carta V, which he bought in June (before Australia's legislative changes, the same time I bought the Core 2.1).

The New Peak is just grinding these other lower priced e-rigs like the Focus Carta and the Core into the dust. It's like a completely different class of vape in a similar price range.

My history with concentrates is about 3 months, but I've been fortunate enough to try different e-rigs, e-nails and traditional nail set-ups. I don't have any real bias or investment when it comes to these devices, so I feel pretty objective when I say that, at this price range, it's made everything else redundant. Unless my mate and I are doing a lot wrong, the Core and the Carta V just can't compete on any level.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Today I saw this on a store's menu (near me!).
The DabGo.
Pre-filled, disposable dab thingy. The one near me is loaded with 1/2 a gram of live rosin (like a badder form? not a liquid type).
I don't know if it warrants its' own thread yet.
Anyone seen/tried one?
I don't know this reviewer, so take this with a grain of salt...

vapviking,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Ramahs

Today I saw this on a store's menu (near me!).
The DabGo.
Pre-filled, disposable dab thingy. The one near me is loaded with 1/2 a gram of live rosin (like a badder form? not a liquid type).
I don't know if it warrants its' own thread yet.
Anyone seen/tried one?
I don't know this reviewer, so take this with a grain of salt...

It says it's painted. That makes me uneasy.
Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

**edit**
I just read more.
Wait...it's one-time-use, then you just throw the hardware in a landfill?!?
Fuck that, right up it's wasteful ass, dry and forced...with absolutely no lube, thank you very much.

Last edited:
Ramahs,
Reactions: Tellus

vapviking

Old & In the Way
It says it's painted. That makes me uneasy.
I saw that, but it also says the body is aluminum, which likely means an anodized finish, not paint.

Agreed, one time use is wasteful, but I can see easily one step in the product's evolution that might change that: a chamber cover that opens.

vapviking,

Ramahs

I saw that, but it also says the body is aluminum, which likely means an anodized finish, not paint.

Well, then they need to stop misleading people, and saying that it's painted.
It worries me significantly more to think that they may not know the difference.

Ramahs,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
The link I posted is to a review of the device, not the product's listing.
The reviewer may/may not be affiliated with the manufacturer, but I can forgive a one-word error in their description.

No, I can't speak for the product safety, and right, disposable is not friendly.

I bought one a few days ago and, well, maybe I've never tasted a decent dab prior to this (my experience is with terp pens and a Qomo that I threw in the trash). This has a delicious content, delivers a very smooth hit (3 temp settings, I like low). Filled with 1/2 gram Lucid Blue sativa live rosin badder.
Glass mp is a nice touch.

A litlle pricey for me to use on the regular, but with this one I hope for an evolution in design. So far, on the right track, I think.

Shit Snacks

I wouldn't say I liked the early ceramic atty version (as it stained quite quickly) but the later quartz atty isn't that bad and a step up in flavour from the metal wire/fitted quartz-type attys again.

Agreed, qomo is solid with the quartz cup, I wouldn't be interested in it with ceramic, but I snagged one as soon as that became available (I'm sure there is a ceramic atomizer for it somewhere in a box I have lol) however I still never use it really, torching much better for me with the hot start dabs, still loving my hot knots and someday Hope to be able to eat them electronically... I actually got the camouflet inductor and their banger though so I will try that soon!

Top Bottom