Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Well it’s way easier to get a consistent decarb using extracts since you can easily tell when it stops bubbling. With flower you’re more-so winging it. So I would extract first. My decarb time @ 250 is probably closer to an hour as I use a jar with a lid and it takes longer to heatup then doing it with the lid off.

Thanks.

I like the idea of decarbing in the jar. I could put my 6 grams in an 8 ounce Ball jar with the lid off as well it seems. Google says that jar should be ok up to 250 degrees and that 20-30 minutes at that temp should be fine for concentrate...

I'm planning to try to make gummies using this dropper method someone posted and the amount of coconut oil will be far less than if I were making my usual infusion.

My only issue with this method is lack of lecithin. By their measurements I should have 3.6 teaspoons of oil to 3 grams BHO to match their potency. I'm considering using 3 teaspoons oil and 1 teaspoon lecithin and see how that comes out. Hopefully it won't effect the consistency of the oil too much, especially while warm in the pipette and it may still benefit from the faster absorption via lecithin. Lot's o' Edit: I'm also going to be using Lidl brand Sour Punch Bites which are a fair amount larger than Sour Patch Kids and I'll be trying to make them stronger with more drops.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Thanks.

I like the idea of decarbing in the jar. I could put my 6 grams in an 8 ounce Ball jar with the lid off as well it seems. Google says that jar should be ok up to 250 degrees and that 20-30 minutes at that temp should be fine for concentrate...

I'm planning to try to make gummies using this dropper method someone posted and the amount of coconut oil will be far less than if I were making my usual infusion.

My only issue with this method is lack of lecithin. By their measurements I should have 3.6 teaspoons of oil to 3 grams BHO to match their potency. I'm considering using 3 teaspoons oil and 1 teaspoon lecithin and see how that comes out. Hopefully it won't effect the consistency of the oil too much, especially while warm in the pipette and it may still benefit from the faster absorption via lecithin. Lot's o' Edit: I'm also going to be using Lidl brand Sour Punch Bites which are a fair amount larger than Sour Patch Kids and I'll be trying to make them stronger with more drops.

I’d probably skip the lecithin for dropper gummies, it will just make it taste worse, and it’s not really needed with an oil in oil infusion.

If you were doing traditional gummies you’d definitely need it (or an alternative) for the oil-in-water emulsion.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
A friend of mine recently started to try making edibles, he complains that everything tastes like shit, I expect it's his cooking, but I did think of that post for him about making a dropping solution for premade candies (thanks again @MegaMan2k ) just a couple of days ago. I'm going to give this a try myself soon to test the waters. Please let us know how you get on @VapeEscapist . Good luck!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
A friend of mine recently started to try making edibles, he complains that everything tastes like shit, I expect it's his cooking, but I did think of that post for him about making a dropping solution for premade candies (thanks again @MegaMan2k ) just a couple of days ago. I'm going to give this a try myself soon to test the waters. Please let us know how you get on @VapeEscapist . Good luck!

Is he using concentrates or flower in his edibles? Most edibles made from flower do taste bad, especially if they are potent.

Vitolo

Vaporist
Am I alone in LIKING the taste of roasted buds in my butter and edibles? Same goes for those made with concentrates, I like to smack my lips around it for a little bit and savor those flavor notes.
I like to bake breads and various pastries with abv dust.
I use it straight, (so well pulverized) and replace 1/3 of the flour.
When feeling frisky I use alchol tincture in place of other extract... and I use cannabutter as the shortening.
I do prefer to use cannabutter alone in most things as far as flavor's concerned, but my ABV gets consumed as well.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I like to bake breads and various pastries with abv dust.
I use it straight, (so well pulverized) and replace 1/3 of the flour.
When feeling frisky I use alchol tincture in place of other extract... and I use cannabutter as the shortening.
I do prefer to use cannabutter alone in most things as far as flavor's concerned, but my ABV gets consumed as well.

That’s some hard core cooking!

Does leave me wondering.... what’s in your SALT & PEPPER shakers...... :)

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I do enjoy the flavour of some flower tbh. I regularly make some parmesan crackers with finely ground do si dos that just taste meh when they aren't medicated! Lol. Do si dos has a very spicy and savory aroma that works amazingly well with cooking. I should post the recipe because they are so easy.

I haven't had the chance to swap some edibles with him so I can try them but I did think that maybe he just can't tolerate the weed. He's not got the equipment to make concentrates but he can use mine if it's the answer. I thought dosing gummy bears sounds like the simplest way to test the theory.

I've made butter before, a long time ago now, but I didn't enjoy it very much at all. It wasn't a solution for me but he might get on better with it I suppose.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Am I alone in LIKING the taste of roasted buds in my butter and edibles? Same goes for those made with concentrates, I like to smack my lips around it for a little bit and savor those flavor notes.

710labs makes hash gummies with no added flavor, only the cannabis strain is the flavoring. You might like those! I thought they were alright at the low 10mg dosage, for me it’s when edibles are 100mg, or 500mg that the taste becomes more of an issue; but I also know many who can eat literally any edible no matter how “complex” it is; I’m personally traumatized from seeing the black butter my uncle used to whip up that I stick to rosin edibles now 🥶🥶 actually I mostly do capsules these days!

DRCousCous

Well-Known Newb
I do enjoy the flavour of some flower tbh. I regularly make some parmesan crackers with finely ground do si dos that just taste meh when they aren't medicated! Lol. Do si dos has a very spicy and savory aroma that works amazingly well with cooking. I should post the recipe because they are so easy.

I haven't had the chance to swap some edibles with him so I can try them but I did think that maybe he just can't tolerate the weed. He's not got the equipment to make concentrates but he can use mine if it's the answer. I thought dosing gummy bears sounds like the simplest way to test the theory.

I've made butter before, a long time ago now, but I didn't enjoy it very much at all. It wasn't a solution for me but he might get on better with it I suppose.
I'm with you, for the most part. I really enjoy CBD and most THC flower made into edibles. I find that the "spicy" and "peppery" notes really come through. I extract ABV and extra flower (CBD, CBG, and THC) into coconut oil and lecithin. I drink it in my coffee and tea in the morning to provide a "baseline" for the day.

I have to say, though, with Dosidos being one of my favorite strains, I don't think I'd cook with it straight: vape the bud and then cook with the ABV :) Alternatively, I'd love to have a stash large enough to cook with my favorite strains lol.

Two things I think I do know about ABV, edibles, etc: cheap BHO wax from dispensaries (I can get it for $7.50 or less a g in WA state) decarbs perfectly fine in a sealed mason jar and works well in edibles; any accidental scorching or burning of ABV can "ruin" the entire batch of butter/oil...adds a bitter, burnt, nasty taste that pervades edibles/drinks and sticks around for hours...

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
Ever since I started using a digitally controlled convection oven to decarb my flower, the taste has been greatly reduced in my infusions.

I have a peanut butter m&m cookie recipe which masks the flavor further. I weigh my cookie dough balls before baking and add the m&m's by hand on the sheet for dosage purposes (my cookies are approx 25mg).

I don't like making BHO more than I have to but I've always wanted to make edibles with it and never had a real reason to until I decided to try the dropper gummy method.

I'll post some detailed results in the gummy thread later... I should be done with my first batch tonight! 🤞

Vitolo

Vaporist
I use BHO straight pretty often.. after the long purge:
There may not be a need to use the machine to infuse BHO.
It works as a a wonderful ingredient unto itself.
Check out the lovely BHO "jolly rancher" candies I just made.
As pretty as stained glass!
I do not bother infusing butter or oil with BHO as I do with Trichomes, Marijuana, Hashish and Kief..
I use BHO as a direct ingredient in foods that I desire it to go.
Photoon2014-08-08at1616.jpg

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
I ended up making a lot more gummies than originally planned. (*Used 6 grams BHO)

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
For all you who love DIAMONDs, what is the best way for breaking up big diamonds?

I hate breaking them up, especially a perfectly faceted giant with no flaws... I get tempted to just rip em whole but it is IMO a bit wasteful for my needs.

DRCousCous

Well-Known Newb
Hrmm, I'm still a noob to concentrates (less than a year using them), but... I'm not sure I really get the diamonds thing. Somebody tell me why I'm wrong on this, but I kind of like all the terps and goop and stuff. The diamonds bit is kind of like CBD crystals, isn't it...? Just inert THC, kind of boring and lonely... no sauce or terps to be found. Makes me sad.

So seriously, what am I missing here? I've recently compared very good hash rosin and bubble hash ("full melt" or whatever the kids call it) vs flower rosin, and here's my semi-educated at best opinion: flower rosin (low THC or CBD comparatively) is dirty as hell but tastes great and gives me great effects; high-THC hash rosin reminds me of distillates... it's just too clean or something...

Maybe I'm just a philistine that can't appreciate the finer diamonds and six-star bubble machine super hashes (it's all just trichomes, right?) of the world.

I'm going to go dab some dirty flower rosin and mid-grade (but tasty!) goopy-ass BHO stuff (because it's what I can afford). I'm hoping by the time I get back you elders can school me in how I'm doing it wrong. Do some people have just bad palates? Why does everything taste like lemons?

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Its all subjective, but to add some color to the discussion, might you live in or have access to California or Colorado markets?
Perhaps we could steer you into a shopping cart that would speak for itself...

Have you ever had Binske's concentrates before?
Yes this is a diamond, but it is FULL of flavor.

damm

Hrmm, I'm still a noob to concentrates (less than a year using them), but... I'm not sure I really get the diamonds thing. Somebody tell me why I'm wrong on this, but I kind of like all the terps and goop and stuff. The diamonds bit is kind of like CBD crystals, isn't it...? Just inert THC, kind of boring and lonely... no sauce or terps to be found. Makes me sad.

So seriously, what am I missing here? I've recently compared very good hash rosin and bubble hash ("full melt" or whatever the kids call it) vs flower rosin, and here's my semi-educated at best opinion: flower rosin (low THC or CBD comparatively) is dirty as hell but tastes great and gives me great effects; high-THC hash rosin reminds me of distillates... it's just too clean or something...

Maybe I'm just a philistine that can't appreciate the finer diamonds and six-star bubble machine super hashes (it's all just trichomes, right?) of the world.

I'm going to go dab some dirty flower rosin and mid-grade (but tasty!) goopy-ass BHO stuff (because it's what I can afford). I'm hoping by the time I get back you elders can school me in how I'm doing it wrong. Do some people have just bad palates? Why does everything taste like lemons?

Concentrate is generally processed with the leftover trimmings that is packaged up and sold to customers. There are exceptions:

1. Live Resin / Live Rosin is made from freshly harvested material that is frozen. It has less THC and a less mature flavor profile but more terps.

Ice Wax can be processed from fresh frozen material and make exceptional SHO. You can also run trim and get a bad product, in my experience.

Because of that, I make my own Flower Rosin for edibles and when I dabbed. I haven't dabbed in over a year, just edibles and vape pens. Still using my Flowerpot Weedeater. When I shop for concentrates I go for specials like the 7/10 special this weekend or I shop for vape pens.

Top Bottom