Collyland Aromatizer (formerly Vapbong by Art of Vapor)

Arawfish

Green Thumb
The following information is from wikipedia about crackels/craquele. I have no information that crackels are not food safe or causing bacteria.
If you have any issues with your device, send us a photo or even better a video and we will check it.

"In the manufacture of ceramics, craquelure forms as a result of the different coefficients of expansion of the base material and glaze during firing; in particular, the Raku ceramics produced in Japan have corresponding surfaces.

With light tin/lead glazes (such as the basic glaze for majolica or faience) which are barely visible after firing, the hairline cracks fill up with darker particles over time and thus become more and more visible. Dark and opaque glazes, such as the "bottle green" often used for older tiled stoves, are less likely to darken the glaze cracks, and the original appearance usually remains unchanged for years.

With glazed stove tiles, which have to be particularly heat-resistant, fine cracks in the glaze are more common. This is particularly desirable for very large tile parts. This makes the ceramic more resistant to breakage due to temperature fluctuations, since the less flexible glaze can "go along" with the more expanding ceramic body.

Gemstones are artificially crackled by heating the stone and then rapidly cooling it down. The cracks can also be highlighted with a color polish."
Again, not trying to sound too harsh but Wikipedia is not giving you the full story. A simple search of “is crazing food safe” will yield a plethora of results on the topic.

In items where food or other such things don’t come in constant contact with the Ceramics, Crazing is fine. But in an application such as the VapBong where there’s a lot of moisture and potential for plant byproduct to seep deep into the ceramic, I question why this has been overlooked.

Also, I did post pictures here in this thread previously about my experience with the bleeding resin, and I did send a pic through the Instagram. This is what I’m talking about:

This was after soaking it in everclear and then rinsing it out in hot water. It was after it had sat for a moment that all this resin started to seep out of the side. Also my VapBong tasted and smelled of alcohol for more than a week. A lot more.

For people who might clean with iso, which is not suitable for any sort of ingestion, it could be a problem. It gets into the ceramic, and then slowly leaches back out into the users water and then to the lungs.

Last edited:

Collyland / Daniel

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Indeed there are different information around about the crackles. However - foodsafe means that the material comes into contact with food, that´s not the case if you are using your vapong (hopefully).
Regarding bacteria, water + resin is a different story compared to milk or meat. If you use alcohol for cleaning there should not be a problem.

The photo that you have sent shows a defective glaze, this has nothing to do with the crackles. We had the case with the "bleeding vapbong" once, i don´t know if it was yours.
Clay is a tricky material to work with and every unit is handmade, there is always a chance that something goes wrong. In such a case please write us an email and we will try to find a solution.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Indeed there are different information around about the crackles. However - foodsafe means that the material comes into contact with food, that´s not the case if you are using your vapong (hopefully).
Regarding bacteria, water + resin is a different story compared to milk or meat. If you use alcohol for cleaning there should not be a problem.

The photo that you have sent shows a defective glaze, this has nothing to do with the crackles. We had the case with the "bleeding vapbong" once, i don´t know if it was yours.
Clay is a tricky material to work with and every unit is handmade, there is always a chance that something goes wrong. In such a case please write us an email and we will try to find a solution.
Yes I believe this “bleeding VapBong” was indeed mine, I had corresponded with Janine on their Instagram just asking what they thought about it and she asked me to email you guys and such, but to be completely honest I did not want to make this an issue so I decided not to pursue any further. The only reason I brought it up again was I saw a bit of talk about those cracks and thought I’d chime in on my experience, even though I already did a few pages back.

But In good spirits I must play Devils Advocate here and argue that “Food Safe” may actually be an important factor because of the fact that we know bacteria begins to grow in bong water pretty quickly. Not only that but there is also plant lipids and other materials and byproducts of vaping that very much can and do seep in the Ceramic beneath the glaze via these “crackles” or “crazing”. Cleaning is obviously an important factor which goes without saying but it’s pretty hard to get into those hairline cracks with a bottle brush.
A quick iso is fine so long as you follow with hot water and soap but I do find that the taste of alcohol can linger sometimes. I feel safer using a high-proof drinkable alcohol as opposed to Iso due to its toxicity and the bad things it can leave behind.

Furthermore, I might also say that this “defect” of my bleeding resin is 100% due to the crazing. There is no other possible way for it to happen. The resin saturated alcohol that sat in my unit seeped through those cracks and into the Ceramic beneath. It was the hot water and soap that caused this trapped alcohol to evaporate out of the other side of the glaze, bringing the resin with it. Again, I don’t really care that much and I keep it clean so there’s no problems 🤷🏼‍♂️ But to say that had nothing to do with the crackles is not true.

Arawfish,
Reactions: ClusFcuk

deadlytoaster

Canadian lost in Europe
Hmmm I have drank the water from the VapBong so....

to kill the bacterias though I just feed them more weed - if they're too stoned they're unlikely to reproduce so this is the safest way to keep your device loaded up and hit it every few hours. Not proven by science™ but I'll take my chances!

Collyland / Daniel

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Yes I believe this “bleeding VapBong” was indeed mine, I had corresponded with Janine on their Instagram just asking what they thought about it and she asked me to email you guys and such, but to be completely honest I did not want to make this an issue so I decided not to pursue any further. The only reason I brought it up again was I saw a bit of talk about those cracks and thought I’d chime in on my experience, even though I already did a few pages back.

But In good spirits I must play Devils Advocate here and argue that “Food Safe” may actually be an important factor because of the fact that we know bacteria begins to grow in bong water pretty quickly. Not only that but there is also plant lipids and other materials and byproducts of vaping that very much can and do seep in the Ceramic beneath the glaze via these “crackles” or “crazing”. Cleaning is obviously an important factor which goes without saying but it’s pretty hard to get into those hairline cracks with a bottle brush.
A quick iso is fine so long as you follow with hot water and soap but I do find that the taste of alcohol can linger sometimes. I feel safer using a high-proof drinkable alcohol as opposed to Iso due to its toxicity and the bad things it can leave behind.

Furthermore, I might also say that this “defect” of my bleeding resin is 100% due to the crazing. There is no other possible way for it to happen. The resin saturated alcohol that sat in my unit seeped through those cracks and into the Ceramic beneath. It was the hot water and soap that caused this trapped alcohol to evaporate out of the other side of the glaze, bringing the resin with it. Again, I don’t really care that much and I keep it clean so there’s no problems 🤷🏼‍♂️ But to say that had nothing to do with the crackles is not true.
If your "bleeding vapbong" is caused by crazing, why don´t all vapongs behave like this ? Crazing is not a defective glaze, in your case something else has gone wrong.

We never claimed our vaporizers to be foodsafe.... it is ceramics and therefore really easy and thoroughly to clean. We recommend to change the water daily, cleaning according to personal preferences.
So it´s up to you how much bacteria are left after cleaning. We would need to send a cleaned unit to a laboratory to find out how much bacteria are left and if this harmful for your health. In our opionion there is no need for this.

You don´t remove bacteria by a brush but by the cleaner that you are using. It will also clean the crackles. The crackles are so extremly tiny and thin that you can´t even feel them, no brush will reach into the crackles.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
If your "bleeding vapbong" is caused by crazing, why don´t all vapongs behave like this ? Crazing is not a defective glaze, in your case something else has gone wrong.

We never claimed our vaporizers to be foodsafe.... it is ceramics and therefore really easy and thoroughly to clean. We recommend to change the water daily, cleaning according to personal preferences.
So it´s up to you how much bacteria are left after cleaning. We would need to send a cleaned unit to a laboratory to find out how much bacteria are left and if this harmful for your health. In our opionion there is no need for this.

You don´t remove bacteria by a brush but by the cleaner that you are using. It will also clean the crackles. The crackles are so extremly tiny and thin that you can´t even feel them, no brush will reach into the crackles.
I challenge you to leave Everclear alcohol in one of your vapbongs overnight, and then run lots of hot water through it. I can almost guarantee you’ll see the same thing I did, if the piece is indeed “crazed”

Also, I believe there’s a bit of a language barrier going on here, and you’re misunderstanding the tone in my messages. Tone isn’t best conveyed through text.

I know how to properly clean my unit and I never leave water in it for longer than a day, and I store it empty and dry. I was being sarcastic when I said “it’s hard to get in the hairline cracks with a bottle brush.”

Though, if my unit is truly “defective” as you’ve mentioned a couple times now, maybe I should contact you guys and sort something out. For the price I paid for this beauty... I don’t want a defective one.

Edit: also I might add that the very definition of “crazing” is this:

As to why all VB’s don’t do this, I think it was discussed the first time I posted those pics that not everyone has a VB with a crackled glaze.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Idk, I've eaten off crazed plates, drunk out of crazed mugs, ate from crazed bowls, smoked from crazed bongs for decades without problems. Their use is so widespread that if it were actually a health issue, we'd long have known. I mean, ceramics have been used daily in almost every household throughout human history for food storage and serving. I understand the theoretical concern, but where are the actual problems?

Just empty and clean it each time you turn it off. With all the unknowns we're ingesting in the weed we get from...sources...and the other health concerns associated with our hobbies, it doesn't hurt to play it safe, but this seems oddly overblown.

Last edited:

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Not sure how much it helps here really, but I also don't think doing long soaks, especially with alcohol or probably even the vinegar, is such a good idea here... I mentioned with mine I do rinsing, not soaking, for cleaning...
I agree with what you and @coolbreeze are saying for sure. I really don’t think it’s cause for health concerns either.

But I guess one of the points I’m trying to make is that it shouldn’t matter if you let alcohol soak in it. The glaze should be done properly so that the ceramic is fully sealed, especially with such a high-end and expensive product like this.
The ceramic flower vases in my home do not have crazed glazes. My VB will slowly leak water from the bottom of it during the course of the day too. I’ll do some experiments in the name of science tonight, and I’ll use food colouring to prove or deny my theory. This is also why a VB can trap flavour over time since it’s literally being absorbed by the porous ceramic beneath the glaze.

coolbreeze

I agree with what you and @coolbreeze are saying for sure. I really don’t think it’s cause for health concerns either.

But I guess one of the points I’m trying to make is that it shouldn’t matter if you let alcohol soak in it. The glaze should be done properly so that the ceramic is fully sealed, especially with such a high-end and expensive product like this.
The ceramic flower vases in my home do not have crazed glazes. My VB will slowly leak water from the bottom of it during the course of the day too. I’ll do some experiments in the name of science tonight, and I’ll use food colouring to prove or deny my theory. This is also why a VB can trap flavour over time since it’s literally being absorbed by the porous ceramic beneath the glaze.
Yeah, I think I'd get with them on this one. One of the guys said it sounded like a defective glaze so maybe there's more wrong there than just the crazing? I would be uncomfortable, I think, with that bleeding that you showed.

kid1212

Did it ever occur to you that you ruined your Vapbong using ever clear ?
Ever clear is extremely strong
I would say over time it melts most things
If the glaze was thin it probably melted it
You put everclear in you Vapbong overnight and expect to get a replacement for your misuse……. I don’t mean to be rude but I know no one would endorse leaving everclear in your unit overnight.
I think you need to be fair.

One more thing….. did the unit leak before the everclear ?????

kid1212,

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Did it ever occur to you that you ruined your Vapbong using ever clear ?
Ever clear is extremely strong
I would say over time it melts most things
If the glaze was thin it probably melted it
You put everclear in you Vapbong overnight and expect to get a replacement for your misuse……. I don’t mean to be rude but I know no one would endorse leaving everclear in your unit overnight.
I think you need to be fair.
Ummmm no. I think you’re pretty off base here in a few areas. The first being that soaking a VB overnight should not under any circumstances “melt” through the glaze. You realize how silly this sounds right? Second, everclear has nowhere near the same strength or corrosiveness that Iso does, and iso is the cleaning standard. It’s very common to soak glass or other pieces overnight. Especially with something like the VB where I can’t shake it to help clean the resin faster. Third, at what point did I say I wanted a replacement? I never said that or even alluded to it. I didn’t actually do anything wrong in the slightest, never once did I misuse or mishandle. A properly sealed glaze would not have had this problem.

And yes, the bottom was wet even before everclear but I just thought it was condensation.

PossumMD

Daniel said that you should reach out to them as this hasn't happened before, and noone else here is reporting it either. All your points about it shouldn't be happening may be correct, but have you considered that your unit is defective in some way? I mean, even if it isn't, they have taken the first step in trying to rectify it...

kid1212

You may be correct…. But I know that everclear cleans stuff that iso does not. Thus I know it’s quite strong….
That said the should never leak anything when new. I must have at least 3 units that I leave on filled with water 24/7 changing water every day……I have been doing this for months and never had anything leaking or even any moisture, Thus iit would seem you have an issue.

kid1212,
Reactions: Arawfish

Arawfish

Green Thumb
You may be correct…. But I know that everclear cleans stuff that iso does not. Thus I know it’s quite strong….
I should have mentioned it’s only 151 proof everclear. So it’s only about 70%

I wasn’t trying to make this an issue, just sharing my experiences but I should probably email them anyways and see if there’s anything that can be done. I’m not about to hassle these guys for a replacement unit though.

Last edited:
Arawfish,

kid1212

My apologies …… I think if you get in touch with Daniel he may have input or solution…..Collyland is excellent with customer service and they do realize every piece is unique… thus problems can be unique also…… I’m quite sure if anyone else had the problem they would have let the world know. I hope it’s gets resolved as I feel very strongly about how wonderful these units are.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
My apologies …… I think if you get in touch with Daniel he may have input or solution…..Collyland is excellent with customer service and they do realize every piece is unique… thus problems can be unique also…… I’m quite sure if anyone else had the problem they would have let the world know. I hope it’s gets resolved as I feel very strongly about how wonderful these units are.
Yeah they do have great customer service, I never had any doubts about them in that area, that’s for sure.
I did email Daniel and he got back to me and offered me a b-stock Cappuccino Mint, which just so happens to be my favourite glaze that they do... so I happily accepted his offer.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
PXL-20220626-051543080-2.jpg

Finally back after a long Colly break and it feels good! Using with Red's ATM prebuilt vvps, really cool to finally see the wattage and be able to make precise adjustments, was running mini pretty low to be cautious and ease back in, smaller smoother hits as a result, though the effects were still very strong, just a bit more controlled :tup:

kid1212

Ok my first shot at a pic post
Yes my alignment mark on my first classic
I now have several…… it’s clear that the fit of the ball is critical to having the unit perform properly. Thus I experiment with each to find the perfect fit (which most times can be felt with draw resistance assuming the screen is clean) and then I create a small mark only I can see…. Thus I can get the ball to the same spot every time….. these marks on the plum jelly are a bit crude but do work. I’m getting better ways as I go.
The alignment is more easily repeated in a Berserker or unit with a tray.
That said I obviously a fan and believe these are wonderful unique vaporizers

Texus

Ok my first shot at a pic post
Yes my alignment mark on my first classic
I now have several…… it’s clear that the fit of the ball is critical to having the unit perform properly. Thus I experiment with each to find the perfect fit (which most times can be felt with draw resistance assuming the screen is clean) and then I create a small mark only I can see…. Thus I can get the ball to the same spot every time….. these marks on the plum jelly are a bit crude but do work. I’m getting better ways as I go.
The alignment is more easily repeated in a Berserker or unit with a tray.
That said I obviously a fan and believe these are wonderful unique vaporizers
Good move on the alignment mark. I've also wondered about adding something with a little give/flex to it to the bottom of the ball or that bottom opening to help get a better seal with less ball fidgeting.

Texus,
Reactions: vapirtoo

flipper_gv

FWIW, there are plenty of fancy tea ware that comes with (controlled) crazing by default because of how it looks. Pretty 100% sure it's food grade.

flipper_gv,
Top Bottom