Collyland Aromatizer (formerly Vapbong by Art of Vapor)

coolbreeze

Umm...my classic Vapbong does not ever get wet underneath (only when I spill the morning water while pouring)...no condensation, no wetness nothing - totally dry. That seems like a defect, I am confident collyland would have a warning for these kinds of things if they were aware they are happening to some of the units.
Mine doesn't either, but there's some crazing in the downspout. I've always dumped mine after use, but mostly because it's a weekend driver for me. I'm unconcerned personally, but others may wish to try to be as safe as they can, and give less chance for flavor acquisition.

Last edited:

JollyGreenGiant

Yesterday evening - I used the device at 9.43 and 9.49v and a lot less material, just enough to cover the screen.

I now better understand the appeal. With a very small amount of product - you can get a sizable cloud of cough free vapor, and extract your material (albeit not as evenly as other vapes) in one hit, and the affect for such a small amount of material - seems to be stronger than many other vapes. A quick one hitter and dump the spent material - and you feel it. Do that 2-3 times in a row - and you’re swimming in the clouds.

Taste? Still meh compared to some of my other vapes. But again - I now understand who this product is for… it’s for serious/heavy users, and stoners. You CAN definitely micro dose with it, just like you could use a Ferrari to deliver door dash orders, but that’s not really where the product shines. If you want to rip your face off as quickly as possible, with minimal setup and wiring (ahem - Herbo, CH Baller, etc) - it’s a compelling solution.

It does very much feel like a Bong hit you’d take from a flame driven traditional bong, but healthier and tastier (than combusting), so if you’re a combusting current or former bong user - this is a massive improvement/advancement.

Most of my gripes still remain, and while I maintain this is not an optimal device for me since I only get “high high” a handful of times a year at most, and mainly use cannabis instead of pain meds to take the edge off some shoulder pain.

I do walk back on some of my initial jabs though (I like to document my initial impressions, as I find it fascinating how they change as I get more experience, and perhaps it might help others) - and the Mini is definitely growing on me - it’s looking increasingly like I’ll keep it. If your sole goal is to get as wrecked as possible, as quickly and comfortably as possible, with minimal “setup”, wiring, parts and no molten hot exposed pieces that will cause instant skin sears - this might be the only game in town. The same goes for recreating a traditional bong experience.

So that quickly - it went from an “F” on day one, when it combusted and made my house reek, to a solid “C+“ in a matter of days (which is just below what I’d give the Herbo Ti) - and I could see with a little more use - the rating improving.

I think the biggest offense for me is the flavor. I generally only use Tier 1 product from 710 Labs direct - so it’s incredibly fresh and flavor City - it is truly as good as it gets…. and the VapBong’s muddled flavors act like a condom - it’s still perfectly fine, but without it - there’s a lot more enjoyment to be had.

So far - I do think a “dream team” combo might be the VapBong with a Tafee Bowle. A hit or two from the VapBong will get the party started instantly - and the Tafee Bowle will keep the music playing for as long as you’d like, with instant on demand vapor, and gobs of delicious, cool flavor. I knew my boy @letter never sent must have been onto something.

@JollyGreenGiant Nice to hear you’re coming around a bit on this one… There’s a reason this vape and the Bowle have been sitting at the top of my rotation for over a year now! Definitely a great contrasting/complementary combo.

You touched on it a bit in your post, but something about the “vape signature” on the VapBong is just special to me. Really does give that old school bong rip stoned feeling.

Last edited:

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused

So far - I do think a “dream team” combo might be the VapBong with a Tafee Bowle. A hit or two from the VapBong will get the party started instantly -

Crikey. Talk about zero to hero in a matter of hours.

Someone's in danger of being a 'fanboy'.

All jokes aside, glad you are liking it now and not about to throw it into a pond.

I think this back and forth further demonstrates the kindness and patience most of us have for each other.

JollyGreenGiant

@JollyGreenGiant Nice to hear you’re coming around a bit on this one… There’s a reason this vape and the Bowle have been sitting at the top of my rotation for over a year now! Definitely a great contrasting/complementary combo.

You touched on it a bit in your post, but something about the “vape signature” on the VapBong is just special to me. Really does give that old school bong rip stoned feeling.

Agreed. I used it again tonight, and i'm finding it to be a charming device. Critiques remain, but I do very much understand the appeal... and truth be told, I did pop over to the Colly page to see if they had any neat/cool new art editions :rofl:

I moved the Hybrid Volcano temporarily for a week or so while I play with the Vap.... eventually I'm going to need to decide which one gets put in a case and stashed away in the closet. The Volcano is still very much in the lead though...

vapirtoo

Hey
Great, honest input and introspection.
These vapes do grow on you, and I'm glad
you took some time to get used to it
before throwing it in the pond. I'm
warming up my all glass Vapolution
for an updated taste test just to see how
"muddy" and muted my classic Vapbong is
in comparison. I've been rocking the Vapbong
almost exclusively since April so who knows?

Both turned out to have excellent taste, with the
Vapbong expressing more terps in the throat and
nose. My objectivity is probably way off! LOL

Last edited:

Arawfish

Green Thumb
I find the VB to be one of my tastier Vapes, only second to my firewood. I’m kinda surprised really but the flavour comes through clear and precise, especially if I use a whole-nug bowl. Can definitely trap taste though, when switching strains it becomes obvious that there is some lingering taste/smell from the previous strain. I’m sure that’ll season in very nicely just like my firewood (which also traps tastes)

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
I think the biggest offense for me is the flavor. I generally only use Tier 1 product from 710 Labs direct - so it’s incredibly fresh and flavor City - it is truly as good as it gets…. and the VapBong’s muddled flavors act like a condom - it’s still perfectly fine, but without it - there’s a lot more enjoyment to be had

Have you tried going dry, or just playing with the water levels a bit?

losojos

I got the Cappuccino Ice one - pics posted a few pages back.

It has not grown on me. My first use earlier tonight was my least favorite vaporizer experience since I started vaping in 2005. For the first use, I wanted to try it as delivered, so I used the stock cable. Based on what I saw in this thread with folks using it at a settled 10.3 - 10.9, I set it to a settled 10 flat, to hopefully start a little easier. I took a few draws - and the taste was muddled and no good and there wasn't much vapor. You REALLY taste the earthy flavor of the pottery, and it's not flattering. If you were smoking some low-quality outdoor herb and wanted something to mask the taste, this would be it. I cleaned it when it arrived, but I emptied out the water and refilled it just for good measure.

I bumped up the voltage a bit to 10.3, hoping that might increase the vapor, and it sure did, but it didn't extract very evenly, and I had to keep pulling off the testicle and shaking up the herb, but I noticed the very top layer was almost charred looking. I took another puff or two, the flavor still being heavily tainted. Suddenly a violating gush of smoke hit me like a truck and I had to run to the toilet to dump the herb as it was on fire - and I mean full-on fire. It stunk up my house, made me cough like crazy and stunk up the vapbong. Gross. This is the first time I've combusted with a vaporizer.

I noticed that in the youtube video from the Collyland folks - the Mini Vapbongs (and my particular one) cause them to cough strongly with just one hit. I don't know what the deal is, if these run hotter because the 20% smaller testicle makes the heating element closer to the material or what, but this is not a good start.

I'll stick with it and try it at least a few more times, but so far - I don't think this is going to work for me. The muddled flavor makes running my ultra premo flower through it a waste, but that combined with the lame build quality, ease of combustion and uneven extraction puts this thing at serious risk of being voted off the island.

I don't see any scenario where this usurps my Volcano Hybrid as my primary desktop. The Volcano Hybrid heats up in a fraction of the time, is far more precise (down to the degree), safer, nearly impossible to combust in, far more even and complete extraction, more flexible and far better tasting. Add to it, that the Volcano Hybrid is less expensive (street price of 20% off MSRP), even WITH a Magma Glass Bubbler attachment... and it comes with the whip, bags, cleaning brush, filters, a grinder, extra screens, etc - whereas the Vapbong just has a useless dish that has a lacquer that causes your ground material to bog and get stuck - which defeats the entire purpose of the loading dish in the first place.

My opinion is of course subject to change with more experience, but just on the muddy flavor alone, I can't see this one being for me.
My Mint Chip Mini (from the same collection, I believe) just arrived today. I had an almost identical experience down to the full on fire with the stock VVPS set to 10.0. This is my first desktop vape, so I don't have much to compare it to. I've been primarily a Dynavap and Woodscents guy thus far. I wasn't getting much vapor, and after several pulls, realized that I'm not used to having no draw resistance, so I was probably drawing too fast (maybe around 2 seconds). So, I slowed my draw speed a decent amount and that's when the combustion happened, only about 3-5 seconds in.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
My Mint Chip Mini (from the same collection, I believe) just arrived today. I had an almost identical experience down to the full on fire with the stock VVPS set to 10.0. This is my first desktop vape, so I don't have much to compare it to. I've been primarily a Dynavap and Woodscents guy thus far. I wasn't getting much vapor, and after several pulls, realized that I'm not used to having no draw resistance, so I was probably drawing too fast (maybe around 2 seconds). So, I slowed my draw speed a decent amount and that's when the combustion happened, only about 3-5 seconds in.
Each model is different and requires a different setting, I never set mine above 9.5 for nice and roasted herb. also just want to add that a woodscents is a desktop since it plugs into a wall.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Yeah you have to be very careful with the slow draw, that only works with low power, and it seems that is way too high to set for a mini, I use my mini OAB at 9.75v on the high end, you probably want to try more like 8.75v if you are doing slow sip hits like that... When you draw slow the heat really builds, however if you draw really fast you could get a tunnel effect in other vapes, I find that here drawing fast works very well, I take very short quick rips with all of mine typically... Yeah it can be an adjustment I suppose, but it is nice to do a deep inhale just breathing in, far easier than other vapes, even convection vapes, that have a lot of draw resistance... Hope you can get there!

JollyGreenGiant

Well, if you stick with it, it will get better. I find around 9.43-9.49 (settled) is the ideal temp for mine, so I’m guessing it might be the same for you. At that setting, I get 2 clean massive vapor clouds, before the vapor dies off. With a week of use or so, the flavor “seasons” and the muddled clay taste fades, although it’s still not a tasty vape.

Once you find the groove, it‘s a decent device… but personally, I’m still not quite past it’s deficiencies.

losojos

Thank you to everyone for the help and suggestions. I am not giving up on this thing. I was just frustrated. And, when you only vape, the smell of actual flaming herb inside your home hits you like a punch in the nose and definitely causes negative emotions (not to mention the wasted herb). I need to spend an afternoon with this thing rather than trying to learn it during my during my normal evening routine.

Collyland / Daniel

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
We are doing things differently and from time to time i´d like to share some information so people can understand even better what we are doing.

1) There is often a discussion about our pricing. Some list the estimated costs of the components and then do the calculating of the price and come to the conclusion that our vaporizers are expensive.
If you are buying a handmade product, it means that you mainly pay for the time that is needed to build the product, not that much for the costs of the components. Would anyone calculate the pricing of an oriental carpet by the amount of wool + some colours ? Here is a bandit making of video, it gives an impression of the manufacturing process :
Due to our decentraliced process we also have relativly high shipping costs.

2) Some customers receive damged or broken units. It´s a sad customer experience, we can imagine that! We do every unit with love and the same Person who builds the unit, also does the packaging. For us it´s also a really sad experience, especially for the artist. We pack every unit so that you could throw it from 3 meters onto concrete floor or kick it like a football. UPS obviously does even harder, below a photo of what is possible, the package arrived wet and completely damaged. We will improve our packaging in future so we can make it even safer. And maybe waterproof ...
img-1865.jpg

3) If whatever goes wrong... give us a chance to correct it and talk to us about your issue. Working with ceramics is very special, the clay and the glaze are "living products" they sometimes behave differently due to the same conditions as before.

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
Glad you have found better settings and I do appreciate the decenting opinion. I just wanted to add, even though it's been mentioned numerous times here, that if your heater were to eventually go out or your herb chamber ball were to break, both can be fixed by Collyland (albeit not for super cheap). If either of those things happened to one of mine, I wouldn't hesitate to get a repair. Also, you dont have to move the device much to change water or clean - I do all that from its home on my desk and it never changes location. That said, I agree that the VB is not for everyone and does not provide the best flavor out of my vape lineup, though I still think it is very good especially with the right settings and IMO leaps better than a Mighty.
I agree Nim. And a mighty/crafty is a super good vape for a beginner.

I'm giving one of my vapbongs to my buddy who lives in LA as a housewarming gift, he moves in with his girlfriend next month.

Neither of them own vapes but they both have wanted to convert, just hadn't budgeted for one. I'm so excited to see them convert via vapbong when I see them in a couple weeks! Gonna fly the VB out with me in my padded super surfer bag.

Regarding broken balls - ceramic is super hard. If you keep the Vapbong in an area containing only wood and carpet surfaces/objects, there is 0% chance of it breaking. Think about how you take a steak knife to a ceramic dinner plate, or clatter them together in the sink.

Keep it on for 15 years, send it out to get another heater installed if it burns out. I have a lot of faith in these guys. I am a big big log vape advocate for the safety and simplicity, and this ranks right up there with log vapes in those categories.

cly

Just got my VB in the mail and currently heating it up. I'm curious what everyone does with the ball/bowl when the device is not in use. Are you supposed to leave in in place while heating up, or do you just put it in when you are ready to hit? What about when it is idling heated... would it be a bad idea to leave the bowl with flower in the device? I'm worried the ambient heat might affect the flower, but I think as long as I don't draw air in it shouldn't vaporize it. The website also say to "Avoid the following - Put the bowl beside when you switch it off because otherwise moisture will get to the herbs and also the electronics"... which is unclear to me whether it's saying the bowl should be out when it's off, or if you should avoid taking it out when it's off. From context I think it is the former but I really just don't know.

Sorry for the noob questions, really excited to try the device!

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
Just got my VB in the mail and currently heating it up. I'm curious what everyone does with the ball/bowl when the device is not in use. Are you supposed to leave in in place while heating up, or do you just put it in when you are ready to hit? What about when it is idling heated... would it be a bad idea to leave the bowl with flower in the device? I'm worried the ambient heat might affect the flower, but I think as long as I don't draw air in it shouldn't vaporize it. The website also say to "Avoid the following - Put the bowl beside when you switch it off because otherwise moisture will get to the herbs and also the electronics"... which is unclear to me whether it's saying the bowl should be out when it's off, or if you should avoid taking it out when it's off. From context I think it is the former but I really just don't know.

I am glad to explain some details about proper use and maintanace of the coil.

As i was using the vape for myself for many years i recommend the head to be of the vape while the
vape is not being used due to the moisture that the heating spiral could be exposed to if the head is in place.
That could lead to a slow corrosion where spiral and cabels are atached to each other. For that we use little stainless steel medal tubes which
we mechanicaly press together when the contact of the heating spiral and the stripped cable is done. If the corrosion is at a certain point the resistence of the heating spiral is getting higher and the higher it gets the lower the temperature will be.
This is probably the rarest case. In most cases there went something wrong while ataching the heating spiral. The process is made by hand and humans, not machines so there is still a little possibility of mistakes that can be done in this process. Its annoying and i fully understand the dissapointment in having a new bought vape that does not work. My appologies for that and my word that i will bring the most of my concentration when repairing it. All of the Vapes build by Axel and janine (and of course mine) are going to be repaired by me.

I am still not able to say this in general but my vape was in use and "On" 24/7 and i guess that is milder to the heating spiral then making it on and off several times a day. the electricitiy costs are very low due to the effectivly used 40 watts around.

What i can say in general is that there does not have to be any more important usage manuals to be in mind.
Dont expose the heating spiral to too much water for example when cleaning the vape. Maybe for some models this can be a bit
tricky but in that case it may help for some of u that i didnt clean any of the vapes i used in the past years, except for the inside of the chillum and the head with the coil. If waters comes in contact with the heating spiral i recommend to let it dry a little and then turn on the vape with max heat to burn out the moisture for some minutes. The heater is simple but effective.. such is the usage in my opinion.

There are vapes out that i build that have the same heating spiral for 5 Years or more still working fine. Some come after a short time with a defect. I talked to Axel, janine and Donald and we discussed the case to erase little mistakes and to solve the problem. I asure that we are doing everything to belittle the defects but im afraid that would not lead to a 100% sucess in building in the spiral due to the handy work it still is.

I hope this was some kind of understandable !

Best regards

Felix

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Yes, do not leave the ball bowl on, only put it there when you are hitting it, or hitting it within a few minutes at least, absolutely do not leave it on while it is warming up, the ball bowl will get exceedingly hot after the 20-30 minutes it takes for the heater to get fully warmed up and you will hurt yourself when you go to pick up the ball possibly... Furthermore when there is water in there, don't leave the ball attached, when not in use sitting there, because potential water could evaporate up through the chamber and condense over the heating element (rare but not impossible) so yes only leave the ball bowl attached when it is in direct use hitting it, or when powered off and the inside is completely dry... And welcome to FC! :tup:

Top Bottom