Collyland Aromatizer (formerly Vapbong by Art of Vapor)

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Sounds like a PITA, when other products (Herbo TI, Volcano, Bowle, TinyMight, etc - can extract material with no fuss in just a few quick hits.

Yeah we are always talking about the hot heater ball, never to touch it, and not to leave the ball bowl attached with the heater powered on sitting there for a long time, because then the ball bowl will get too hot to touch as well... It is perfectly safe, exposed sure, but just be mindful where you are storing it when it is powered up?

And yes this is capable of doing that as well, you need to work on your technique, you literally just got it, you're not going to get the most out of something instantly, typically, didn't it take you a little bit of time with TM for example? I mean it hasn't even been that much time with any of these really...

Because yes I stir between every hit with Collyland vapes, not like the TB or TM, however you could load less tamp it down add an upper temp and have a quick one hitter bowl, it really is very capable, I hope you can figure it out for you!

JollyGreenGiant

Yeah we are always talking about the hot heater ball, never to touch it, and not to leave the ball bowl attached with the heater powered on sitting there for a long time, because then the ball bowl will get too hot to touch as well... It is perfectly safe, exposed sure, but just be mindful where you are storing it when it is powered up?

And yes this is capable of doing that as well, you need to work on your technique, you literally just got it, you're not going to get the most out of something instantly, typically, didn't it take you a little bit of time with TM for example? I mean it hasn't even been that much time with any of these really...

Because yes I stir between every hit with Collyland vapes, not like the TB or TM, however you could load less tamp it down add an upper temp and have a quick one hitter bowl, it really is very capable, I hope you can figure it out for you!

The TM initial uses were more about taste, but in terms of performance - it got the job done well, right from initial use. To date - I've never used a vaporizer that took time to figure out... generally in the first use I got it down, and by use 2 or 3, there wasn't much improvement/change. YMMV. I will say, if folks are using Vapbongs and then try the Herbo Ti, I can see why they'd gush about the flavor. The Herbo isn't great/special in that dept, but compared to this vapbong, it def is. At the end of the day - I am not looking to get as high as possible, i'm looking to sort out some pain issues, and enjoy the flavor from Tier 1 product. If I do want something for recreation or fun - I would never fire up this Vapbong, and i'd turn to the Volcano Hybrid 99/100 times, and the Herbo Ti 1/100. I'll try to use the vapbong daily for at least a week before I give it away to a friend, or toss it into my pond to be used as a neat looking hiding spot for small fish.

Indeed. It's not for everyone, I guess, but for me the only real flaw is the difficulty of replacing the ball. If it was possible to standardize for replaceability it would let people feel more comfortable about the cost.

I think it's funny that this product was created, because the inventor didn't have the $ to buy a vaporizer and was on the run from authorities - so he cobbled together a solution using a mish mash of cheap parts and people seemed to like it. Somehow, with a little bit of paint added to the outside of it, it has become one of the most expensive vaporizers on the market today, and has a bespoke/proprietary piece that is fragile, and if you break/lose it - it renders the device functionally useless.

I truly don't understand the praise the Vapbongs get. The Herbo Ti was underwhelming, but so far - it's a lot less expensive, all the parts/pieces can be replaced (no single point of terminal failure), it hits harder and more consistently, it has MUCH better flavor, is stellar for concentrates, and offers more options (different glass pieces, etc) than the Vapbongs. While the Herbo Ti doesn't move me, trying out this Vapbong certainly highlights the appeal of the Herbo. Between the Herbo and the Vapbong - the Herbo curb stomps the Vapbong in every category save for 1. # and size of cords 2. Being a fully integrated "all in one" solution versus an assembly of parts.

I know my opinion won't be shared by many.... but I also know that i'm sure there are plenty of folks in the shadows who feel the same way, but don't really want to start a bunch of conflict with fanboys and dump on the Colly's.

In any event - I'll keep at it, and keep an open mind, but my vision of this being a fun to use, good tasting heavy hitter has completely gone out the window. Just on the taste alone, this is the worst vaporizer i've ever used - and it has entirely cured my VAS. I was convinced I was going to drop $1K+ on the CH B2 Premo kit - but now i'm quickly losing interest. If the Herbo is going to have better flavor than the CH, and the only trick the CH has is that it' the heavy hitting king - I think it's time for me to dump all the products i've amassed, and just stick with the Tafee Bowle and Hybrid Volcano 1-2 punch and call it a day.

Last edited:

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
I think one of the reasons why it got its rep is because it hits hard, simple to use, all-in-one vape that contains a bong that used to mostly cost under $400(for non art versions)

At that price it’s not more expensive than the rest, idk what’s up with the current prices but I wonder if you paid less would you look at the device differently?

Sorry to hear the initial experience wasn’t good @JollyGreenGiant. Others have already given some good tips to make the experience better. This is definitely a “ritualistic” vape and that may not be your thing, which is totally valid. It’s certainly a lot different than a Volcano or Tafee Bowle. I can understand the flavor aspect as well. I would not give the VapBong any awards for flavor, but I’m not a flavor chaser personally. It’s all about the clouds and airflow with this vape for me.

Regarding price, I paid $391 out the door for my Classic unit from VGoodiez back in 2020. They are significantly more expensive now, and I can totally understand why you’d have some remorse after dropping $700+ for an art edition. I will say that these devices seem to take a lot of manual labor to create - there are some time lapse videos on the Collyland YouTube channel that help illustrate this. Still, I can understand why someone would find the price difficult to swallow. It would definitely hurt to pony up for a new one if I ever broke the bowl piece. It was worth every penny for the price I paid though.

IMO, if you can appreciate the homespun vibe of these devices and dial in your preferences, it’s incredibly easy to use and maintain, and the results can be as good as it gets. Definitely not a device for everyone however.

JollyGreenGiant

I think one of the reasons why it got its rep is because it hits hard, simple to use, all-in-one vape that contains a bong that used to mostly cost under $400(for non art versions)

At that price it’s not more expensive than the rest, idk what’s up with the current prices but I wonder if you paid less would you look at the device differently?

They start at $477 (pre-shipping) if you buy direct from Colly, and are more $ elsewhere for the basic non-art version. Even at $477 - there are quite a few better options. The Herborizer Ti full kit, shipped is nearly 25% less expensive than a stock/basic Vapbong. If I paid a penny less than $500 for this Vapbong - it would already be in the trash can (no joke). A TinyMight for example is FAR less expensive, hits as hard, tastes way better.... and it's portable and heats up in a fraction of the time. I'm having a hard time reasoning why one would buy a Vapbong over a TinyMight, or the countless other rock solid options.

Sorry to hear the initial experience wasn’t good @JollyGreenGiant. Others have already given some good tips to make the experience better. This is definitely a “ritualistic” vape and that may not be your thing, which is totally valid. It’s certainly a lot different than a Volcano or Tafee Bowle. I can understand the flavor aspect as well. I would not give the VapBong any awards for flavor, but I’m not a flavor chaser personally. It’s all about the clouds and airflow with this vape for me.

Regarding price, I paid $391 out the door for my Classic unit from VGoodiez back in 2020. They are significantly more expensive now, and I can totally understand why you’d have some remorse after dropping $700+ for an art edition. I will say that these devices seem to take a lot of manual labor to create - there are some time lapse videos on the Collyland YouTube channel that help illustrate this. Still, I can understand why someone would find the price difficult to swallow. It would definitely hurt to pony up for a new one if I ever broke the bowl piece. It was worth every penny for the price I paid though.

IMO, if you can appreciate the homespun vibe of these devices and dial in your preferences, it’s incredibly easy to use and maintain, and the results can be as good as it gets. Definitely not a device for everyone however.

The clouds were fine for me, but nothing any better than other heavy hitters for me. RE: airflow - it is mighty open, i'll give you that - but so is a bag from a volcano, and nothing can touch the Hybrid Volcano with the whip and the fan turned on, it'll literally fill your lungs for you, and if you inhale in at the same time - it'll zap you to Narnia in no time flat.

RE: the manual labor - I don't doubt it takes some hand work - BUT in 2022, most unskilled labor is dirt cheap. Just take a look at potters (or anything else) on Etsy - and you'll find far better made products, with more handwork - for a fraction of the price. Hell - you can buy a hand crafted (from scratch) Japanese kitchen knife made entirely by skilled craftsman with a family line of making Samurai swords for centuries for $300-500, and that takes WAY more time, skill, material cost, artistry and personal risk. It also requires expensive equipment, lots of space, energy consumption and similar costs of living - so you can't say it's more expensive because the folks making them are in Europe. There's no mistaking it - these are wildly overpriced. Think about the cost of the machinery, tooling, molds, etc required for say a Tafee Bowle. MUCH higher.

I will say though - I don't think I agree with your assertion that the results can be as good as it gets - subjectively or objectively. I think you could say you can get outstanding quantities of vapor production, but when you use a generalization like "as good as it gets" that would denote objective and subjective qualities such as ease of use, temperature regulation/control, consistency, flexibility, flavor, ergonomics, etc.

I don't think this can outperform a Herborizer Ti in any "efficacy" measurement. Same goes for a Volcano Hybrid with a bubbler attachment. They extract more evenly, don't require stirring, have much better flavor, etc.

I get it - people have Vapbongs, they heat up, they get you high, and some people dig the "made by your next-door neighbors kid" phallus appearance. To each their own - and no hate... but I do worry with how much these have been talked up - the number of folks who might choose to purchase Vapbongs over far superior (quantitatively) products based on the recommendations in this thread - when there are options that should last much longer, offer more flexibility, function better and are less expensive.

If you love the look, don't care about flavor and you need a desktop - by all means. If you are looking for the best heavy hitter though - keep it moving, as this thing just ain't it. Change my mind.

Planck

believes in Dog
If I paid a penny less than $500 for this Vapbong - it would already be in the trash can (no joke).
"FC Member Vitolo lives in a state that only 3 years ago was made into a Medical Marijuana State. He is active in helping low income patients that are moderately to severely disabled to find vaporizers." - vtac, Apr 23, 2014

@Vitolo will put your castoffs to good use.
ETA date and source of the quote I used

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

If I paid a penny less than $500 for this Vapbong - it would already be in the trash can (no joke)

This is the only part that upsets me, please for the love of herb, list it for sale here in the classifieds so someone else can enjoy it!!

Edit: beaten to it, yes, this community is great, and it's good to have other opinions on everything, but let's at least not literally put things to waste, one man's trash is another man's treasure and all that?? It is great that you were able to afford the risk, and don't need to make all your money back, so paying it forward is worth the hassle in my opinion for the good feelings if nothing else :tup:

I will say to me the classic vapbong is nowhere near as enjoyable as I find the bandits, personally, though they are not my most used vape either these days... I have a strong fondness for glaze and ceramics, having a lot of experience with it myself, that helps me appreciate more about these I think? And I also know how to get what I need out of it, not top-tier flavor, but not bad either, there is a unique vapor signature, something special about the vapor quality, but the design flaws and current pricing are certainly reasonable downsides...

coolbreeze

so paying it forward is worth the hassle in my opinion for the good feelings if nothing else :tup:

FC Member Vitolo lives in a state that only 3 years ago was made into a Medical Marijuana State. He is active in helping low income patients that are moderately to severely disabled to find vaporizers

Best option, but if you can't afford to give that large, at least sell it. Some other person is going to absolutely love that thing.

vapirtoo

I love my Vapbong, it has been my daily driver since April 21, with a brief hiatus this christmas?
for a coil replacement.
I still enjoyed reading JollyGreenGiant's review of his mini as this is the first customer who is not
happy.
Your opinions made me look at my Vapbong in a different light, and I see that I'm
fucking hypnotized by the hits!
IDK, but all of my herb, especially top tier CBD, tastes amazing!
Hey but thanks again for your point of view and being honest with us.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
@JollyGreenGiant

Ok. So you don't like the vapbong
That's fine.
They are art pieces. They are hand made. They are individual. They take time to warm up. They are hot (but not like the vrod). They have a ritual that many find comforting and fun.

I think to be fair all the above points have been made many times through the thread. I certainly picked these points/potential issues up from reading and asking.

And i went through the same thought process and ummed and arhged about an art piece. In the end, I went with a standard as I was concerned putting down so much money on a vape I was unsure about. I now wish I had bought San art piece. Something for the future maybe....

I agree that it's not the quickest or necessarily the tastiest but to suggest it's best thrown in your pond is a shame.

You seem to be looking for something else and reading your other comments you seem to have found it with the tb.

so why not just sell it and move on? Some of your comments are coming across as sour grapes....

Oh, and I don't think unskilled labour had any part on this.... But that's purely my opinion having worked with ceramics a little bit.

.d

I am blown away that people agree that the taste is not that good...I am not sure if my unit is different or what but the flavour is outstanding and is only bested by the firefly 2+ in my experience.... Vapes I tried: Mighty, Volcano Hybrid, Dynavaps, Firefly2+, Pax2/3, Vapbong, Boundless CFX, XMAX Starry V3. I think that is about it... I know I am missing some critical convection devices (herborizer and sticky brick on list) but I believe that I can determine flavour intensity quite well. Where would be the correct place to place a poll on peoples favorite tasting vapes in 2022?

What I was shocked the most to read was that the Vapbong is the worst tasting vaporizer that @JollyGreenGiant tried in his life while owning pax, dynavap,mighty and volcano... up until that point I was like, yea okay everybody got an opinion and it is nowhere near a perfect device for thermal extraction anyway so whatever. But that comment made my head hurt and doubt the whole review/opinion as being honest...seems more like expectations were not met for the price paid or that the unit is not correctly used or that it has some sort of defect that imparts flavour.

Also as someone said, I'm glad to see the first person not liking the Vapbong for what it is, it's refreshing

coolbreeze

I am blown away that people agree that the taste is not that good
Yeah, me too. It's a great tasting vape, or at least mine is (see technique above). Caveat being, anything that goes through water is 'muted' to some degree or other. I don't find the vapbong is any different or worse in that regard. I have seen people complain about tasting the Kanthal (I can't)--maybe that's what's bothering him, but he also had temperature issues, so maybe it was just too hot or something.

vapirtoo

Yep
I'm a flavor chaser more than a cloud maker, and my Classic Vapbong with carb.
taste's very close to my ancient all glass, no water, Vapolution 2 which is a flavor tool.
Notams mentioned dry hits with a paper filter, and I now take dry hits whenever
I'm cleaning and refilling the bong. ( sans paper filter )
Dry hits always remind me of some Adobe house in the desert.
Practice, practice, practice and proper ball adjustment.

coolbreeze

Dry hits always remind me of some Adobe house in the desert.
Lol. Dang, I had in mind to try this. Not sure I want to risk desert tongue though!

Edit: Now that I re-read this, I wonder if I misunderstood. Are you recommending the Adobe hits? I feel like I must try this.

Last edited:
coolbreeze,
Reactions: vapirtoo

JollyGreenGiant

I gave it another run last night and had it set between 8.93 and up to 9.15 or so throughout the session. Before I fired it up, I gave it a good cleaning to remove all of the combusted/charred taste and smell.

I did get better results running it at lower voltage. No combustion, and more flavor, but the vapor was much thinner, it took quite a few hits to clear the bowls, and the extractions weren’t very compelling. Unfortunately, while the flavor was better than it was at a higher voltage, it was still the worst tasting Ive had through a vaporizer.

Tonight - I’ll try 9.3-9.5.

I’ve read the comments above from fanboys saying it has great flavor, etc. This is entirely inaccurate - and it has nothing to do with personal preference. The ceramic imparts a very distinct “muddy” and “earthy” flavor - period. Adding strong external flavors might taste good to some, and that’s entirely their personal preference - but it does not extract and maintain the flavor of the plant well - it mutes it heavily, not just with water (that part is fine) but with that strong ceramic/clay taste.

Hearing folks state how good the flavor is, troubles me. I bought this device, largely because of comments like that - when it’s clear there’s a large contingent of folks who now admit, they like their device - but flavor isn’t its strong suit.

Potential buyers - you have been warned. Listen to these fan boys, and you’ll end up with an expensive, finicky, fragile device, made with cheap (not just inexpensive) parts that will significantly alter the taste of your cannabis.

The above five gripes are objective facts, not subjective opinions. The device is expensive - period. There are select few vaporizers on the market that are more expensive, and the ones that are, have substantially more expensive materials and manufacturing costs, justifying - at least in part, their price. The device is finicky - people call it a “ritual” but the required “ritual” is largely to navigate around a poorly designed extraction platform. Such “rituals” and diddling with that goofy dial that jumps voltage around and reacts strongly to the most minute touch. If you like having to fill in the gaps of a poor design and feel more “engaged” with the device - more power to you, but those types of products (straight razors, manual transmissions, etc) are all figments of the past. They might be fun - but they’re not efficient. The device is fragile, it’s all ceramic and it’s glossy - and since you have to move the entire thing to fill it up, clean it, etc - you’re taking this fragile device at least once a day back and forth to change the water out. One drop on a hard surface and this thing is a goner, and often you’re handling it with wet hands, increasing the risk. Same goes for the fragile testicle, which if you lose/break - makes the device a throw away. You’re also not supposed to keep the removable testie on the device when the device is on (unless you are actively hitting it)…. or not in use, so the device is always sitting out sans nut - which makes it look unfinished and unpleasant. The parts are cheap - no one can say the power cord and control knob are anything but cheap junk. The heater, cabling, etc - all cheap and very poorly put together. This brings us to the final point - taste. You might love the clay like taste that is added to the cannabis, it’s probably at least 25% of what you taste, but any way you cut it - the device alters the natural flavor of your flower more than any device I’ve experienced. Someone mentioned the PAX 2 above… my PAX 2 has better flavor than this VapBong. Chew on that.

I hear a lot about it being art and to each their own, but the VapBong design requires the testicle removed when not in use, or when powered on and not actively being hit… so as mentioned above - it’s not an attractive device with the nut removed. When it is all assembled - I can certainly see how some folks might like the appearance, and accept the splotchy coating that isn’t evenly applied and leaves small spots of the ceramic unsealed, but seeing as how the only time it’s in that state is when you’re inhaling - it otherwise looks broken/weird/incomplete. With some of the other designs (IE: Berserker) this wouldn’t be the case, as the tray for those is in the back, so when removed the front profile looks fine. If appearance matters, consider that route.

In summation, the only point above I have seen anyone contest, is the flavor … to which I’d say - best of luck if you listen to them over the other respected folks on this forum or I who have chimed in and agreed that is not the VapBong’s strong point. The rest of the points above (expensive, fragile, cheap parts, finicky) - I have not seen anyone argue - only justify :lol:

Will the device create smooth, cough free vapor on the right setting? Yes. Can it create big clouds? Yes. Does it have a lot of airflow? Yes. Will it f you up? Hell yes. Can I see why people like it? Certainly, and I do very much understand the appeal of having something that feels more natural in hand - versus the aluminum, plastic and titanium on most other vaporizers - and if you want a true all in one water piece - there aren’t many options, and this thing will get you ripped, so again, I get the appeal.

The way this product should be positioned is a unique looking, hand made, all-in-one piece that while quirky, fragile and taste altering, will blast you to the moon with exceptional air flow and do so with the power to easily turn it into a lighterless combusting bong if you get a little heavy on the dial. If that’s what you’re looking for - this is an outstanding device and proceed without caution.

If you’re looking for the most efficient, longest lasting, highest quality, best tasting, easiest to use - this simply isn’t it, and I don’t think this is a good investment - as the heater isn’t serviceable and the detachable testie isn’t replaceable, so I don’t see this lasting as long as other competing products.

All the above said - I do find the VapBong hits different and the affects seem to hit me different, which is nice and I do find enjoyable. Don’t get me wrong - I don’t think this is a bad product for everyone, but it certainly isn’t a good product for me… and I’m still puzzled why folks would buy something like this over a Hybrid Volcano or a Herborizer Ti, but different strokes for different folks. In 15 years though - I’ll bet a stack of bills that folks buying Herbo’s, Volcanos, etc will still be enjoying/using their decade and a half old devices - where as a large chunk of VapBong users will not - due to breaking/losing the removable nut, breaking the fragile device itself, or having a malfunction in the non-serviceable heater.

This was invented by a homeless hippie on the run from the authorities, because he couldn’t afford a commercially made vaporizer. Slap some laquer on it, and you’ve just put lipstick on a pig. No disrespect to the inventor - and the product works - but know what you’re buying before you plunk down that $. With consumerism being what it is, a sickness - you’ll get strong advocates who will die on a hill defending and justifying their purchase, even bending truths/facts to reenforce their decision… but the facts are the facts. Time to wake up. Buy it for what it is, and you’ll love it. Listen to the hype, and if you’re not a lemming, you’ll be crushed with disappointment. Either that, or your expectations are far to low for a device of this $.

Last edited:

vapirtoo

Much better review with many excellent points.
I was just thinking that the experience is very close
to rolling a joint and taking a hit, very tactile and simple.
I cannot really agree with the "muddy" taste . As I mentioned
above , taste was not much different from my all glass Vapolution. IMHO
Basically I leave it on all day, and the ease of use is actually frightening!
When it comes to longevity? Five year warranty and after that I will pay
if need be.

coolbreeze

This is entirely inaccurate - and it has nothing to do with personal preference.

I disagree with the flavor comments. When we say the flavor is good, we're not wrong. You have an opinion. Others have theirs. All your other complaints read like you're surprised about things that are either self-evident or have been discussed at length.

Potential buyers - you have been warned.
Yes. Read the thread, and make an informed decision.

Shit Snacks

@JollyGreenGiant two little things to point out, aside from flavor being very subjective, unit to unit aside from person to person, there's so many other factors that your opinion is very far from objective truly, but still very valuable here!

And to clarify my earlier points, I do get great hits of shining flavor even through water, actually better through water than dry, depending on all the variables... Though it cannot compare to some other vapes (ie TM, TP80, FW7, Halo, HI, RBT, bricks etc) I do find it better than my own experience with volcano or mighty or some others mentioned above... We can talk about materials used for flavor purity and vapor quality, but the actual sense of taste is different for everyone at the end of the day.

Ceramic itself with high quality glaze is quite inert, even unglazed ceramic can be quite inert, so the ceramic itself imparting a muddy flavor doesn't really make sense to me... Objectively ceramic is one of the great pure materials we speak about when we talk of stainless steel and borosilicate glass etc. So yeah it is possible yours is not made entirely perfect, could be the kanthal (I can always taste that and nichrome more compared to steel myself) also it could be how difficult it is to neutralize something after combustion and cleaning, I mean it's still only been a week or so, right??

The other thing I wanted to mention, though the product was designed originally by the homeless hippie as you say, your VB was made by Axel and Janine in Portugal. Furthermore, the reason you notice more spotting in your glaze, is because you bought an art unit that has multiple glaze used, that is a more involved paint job, and often leads to seams and spots that can be missing glaze as it is more work for Janine to do and it cannot always be perfect... All of mine are single color glaze aromatizers, pretty consistent for all four, but I will say they kept getting better and better with my most recent tahiti grape bandit and celestial blue mini being pretty perfectly glazed and constructed otherwise --Again being someone who works with ceramics, I have a different level of appreciation probably!

Anyway there's still a lot of good points you make, again good to have the dissenting opinions here, I agree no one should be talked into this like it is the end all be all, but it is perfect for some people, that's why when someone asks for vape recommendations, you see a lot of consideration and a lot of variety in the suggestions, but everything must be taken with a grain of salt, must do your own research, with the best research being trying for yourself, if you can of course :tup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom