Collyland Aromatizer (formerly Vapbong by Art of Vapor)

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
Haven't taken any pics to be honest. I don't really take em, I have like 5 photos on FB, and that account is 14yrs old now... Anyway, set it to 11.8, it dropped to 10.9. got most of it nice and dark first hit, so I doubt I'm gonna get adventurous with the dial...
Sheesh I only run mines at 11v which settles at 10.3-10.4, I’ll have to try that some time and hope my throat doesn’t melt

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Sheesh I only run mines at 11v which settles at 10.3-10.4, I’ll have to try that some time and hope my throat doesn’t melt
Yeah I think my VB runs around 11V and the OAB at 10V. As folks have mentioned they aren't all the same. I like that you can just hit it harder if you want it to hit harder.

I should probably explore the lower limit of my preferred voltage range but I get impatient if finishing a bowl takes any effort. And to be fair I'm mostly just vaping one heaping pax scoop at a go

Texus

Well Collyland fam, the Ancient Berserker arrives after 16 days in the hands of UPS... and it was cracked. With such a beautiful and expensive piece that was a Heartbreaker. I wasn't even ready to post for the first few days. Just so bummed.

Collyland has been great about this and I am still considering my options. But first time to look at options for fixing cracks and cosmetic touch up of pottery. Or maybe I go the Japanese Kintsugi method and lean into the cracks.

But overall, ugh.

JollyGreenGiant

Well Collyland fam, the Ancient Berserker arrives after 16 days in the hands of UPS... and it was cracked. With such a beautiful and expensive piece that was a Heartbreaker. I wasn't even ready to post for the first few days. Just so bummed.

Collyland has been great about this and I am still considering my options. But first time to look at options for fixing cracks and cosmetic touch up of pottery. Or maybe I go the Japanese Kintsugi method and lean into the cracks.

But overall, ugh.

Oh man - this is gutting to see/hear.... and I can't help but wince over the fact that UPS has been abusing my Vapbong Mini Art edition for over two weeks - and it still has no arrival date - so I may be joining your house of pain.

Hope it all works out for you.

you definitely don’t need to clean it after every use. The buildup in the downstem removes extremely easily with iso or ethyl alcohol wipes. I go months between cleanings with no issue. Maybe if I was using it a lot more heavily I’d have to clean it more often, but IME the ceramic stays much cleaner than a glass rig. I use distilled water and dump it every night after using.

I was using iso in the bong at first, but I think soap and water is probably sufficient as long as you don’t let things get too nasty. A bottle brush is a valuable tool here. Most of the resin builds up on the downstem. If I take a flashlight to the chamber even after a month of use, it looks pretty dang clean to me.
So much this. I empty the water every day and maybe a quick iso swab every year or so. I guess I’m in the minority about staining but my thinking is that it’s pottery and it’s going to stain and the staining, to me, gives it character.

Last edited:

JollyGreenGiant

My mini art edition showed up today finally… and luckily it is undamaged! 😮‍💨

I have it heating up right now, so I can’t comment on performance - but so far I’m pretty underwhelmed by everything else. It was packed pretty poorly, the power adapter is a joke (luckily I had already purchased a higher end replacement) and it looked MUCH better in photos than it does in person. From 10 ft away it looks ok, but get any closer and it’s underwhelming. If this were a $150-400 - it would be acceptable, but given this is a near $700 device - it’s a big letdown. Handmade products will show some defects, but high end hand made products shouldn’t, or they should be minimal, but the defects on this one (areas not smoothed out, sharp pieces of ceramic sticking out of the side, etc) are inexcusable.

The ball head also gets VERY hot to the touch (if you kept your hand on it, it will burn you), so this isn’t something I’d be comfortable leaving on unattended. I’ll keep an open mind until I’ve spent some meaningful time actually using it, but so far I have major buyers remorse, and really should have just stuck to my original plan and gone with the CH B2 Premium Kit, instead of the Herbo Ti and the VapBong. I very well might be eating my words in a few days, but so far - very underwhelmed.

Last edited:

shopdognyc

I have it heating up right now, so I can’t comment on performance - but so far I’m pretty underwhelmed by everything else. It was packed pretty poorly, the power adapter is a joke (luckily I had already purchased a higher end replacement) and it looked MUCH better in photos than it does in person. From 10 ft away it looks ok, but get any closer and it’s underwhelming. If this were a $150-400 - it would be acceptable, but given this is a near $700 device - it’s a big letdown. Handmade products will show some defects, but high end hand made products shouldn’t, or they should be minimal, but the defects on this one (areas not smoothed out, sharp pieces of ceramic sticking out of the side, etc) are inexcusable.

The ball head also gets VERY hot to the touch (if you kept your hand on it, it will burn you), so this isn’t something I’d be comfortable leaving on unattended. I’ll keep an open mind until I’ve spent some meaningful time actually using it, but so far I have major buyers remorse, and really should have just stuck to my original plan and gone with the CH B2 Premium Kit, instead of the Herbo Ti and the VapBong. I very well might be eating my words in a few days, but so far - very underwhelmed.
I hope it grows on you. Which did you get?

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused

Shame. I find the VB the opposite of underwhelming but of course it's very subjective.

Wrt your concern with the VB getting hot.
The Ch gets very very hot. Much hotter. Instant burn hot as opposed to the VB which is more oh, thats hot, avoid holding.

So IME the Ch is much more of an issue with leaving on all day. My only concern with the VB is breaking the ball.

JollyGreenGiant

I hope it grows on you. Which did you get?

I got the Cappuccino Ice one - pics posted a few pages back.

It has not grown on me. My first use earlier tonight was my least favorite vaporizer experience since I started vaping in 2005. For the first use, I wanted to try it as delivered, so I used the stock cable. Based on what I saw in this thread with folks using it at a settled 10.3 - 10.9, I set it to a settled 10 flat, to hopefully start a little easier. I took a few draws - and the taste was muddled and no good and there wasn't much vapor. You REALLY taste the earthy flavor of the pottery, and it's not flattering. If you were smoking some low-quality outdoor herb and wanted something to mask the taste, this would be it. I cleaned it when it arrived, but I emptied out the water and refilled it just for good measure.

I bumped up the voltage a bit to 10.3, hoping that might increase the vapor, and it sure did, but it didn't extract very evenly, and I had to keep pulling off the testicle and shaking up the herb, but I noticed the very top layer was almost charred looking. I took another puff or two, the flavor still being heavily tainted. Suddenly a violating gush of smoke hit me like a truck and I had to run to the toilet to dump the herb as it was on fire - and I mean full-on fire. It stunk up my house, made me cough like crazy and stunk up the vapbong. Gross. This is the first time I've combusted with a vaporizer.

I noticed that in the youtube video from the Collyland folks - the Mini Vapbongs (and my particular one) cause them to cough strongly with just one hit. I don't know what the deal is, if these run hotter because the 20% smaller testicle makes the heating element closer to the material or what, but this is not a good start.

I'll stick with it and try it at least a few more times, but so far - I don't think this is going to work for me. The muddled flavor makes running my ultra premo flower through it a waste, but that combined with the lame build quality, ease of combustion and uneven extraction puts this thing at serious risk of being voted off the island.

I don't see any scenario where this usurps my Volcano Hybrid as my primary desktop. The Volcano Hybrid heats up in a fraction of the time, is far more precise (down to the degree), safer, nearly impossible to combust in, far more even and complete extraction, more flexible and far better tasting. Add to it, that the Volcano Hybrid is less expensive (street price of 20% off MSRP), even WITH a Magma Glass Bubbler attachment... and it comes with the whip, bags, cleaning brush, filters, a grinder, extra screens, etc - whereas the Vapbong just has a useless dish that has a lacquer that causes your ground material to bog and get stuck - which defeats the entire purpose of the loading dish in the first place.

My opinion is of course subject to change with more experience, but just on the muddy flavor alone, I can't see this one being for me.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@JollyGreenGiant I'm sorry the experience has not been good, a few things, the minis should be set lower, I run my mini bandit below 10, below 9 if I want to sip, otherwise I am always ripping my Collyland bandits short and fast in the upper tens... That sucks with the combustion, I hope you can clean it, and get some neutrality going, another tip make sure you are not loading too much, nice even grind filling only the inner indentation, covering the screen... Maybe not for you, or maybe with some time, could be?

stonedmallone

I got the Cappuccino Ice one - pics posted a few pages back.

It has not grown on me. My first use earlier tonight was my least favorite vaporizer experience since I started vaping in 2005. For the first use, I wanted to try it as delivered, so I used the stock cable. Based on what I saw in this thread with folks using it at a settled 10.3 - 10.9, I set it to a settled 10 flat, to hopefully start a little easier. I took a few draws - and the taste was muddled and no good and there wasn't much vapor. You REALLY taste the earthy flavor of the pottery, and it's not flattering. If you were smoking some low-quality outdoor herb and wanted something to mask the taste, this would be it. I cleaned it when it arrived, but I emptied out the water and refilled it just for good measure.

I bumped up the voltage a bit to 10.3, hoping that might increase the vapor, and it sure did, but it didn't extract very evenly, and I had to keep pulling off the testicle and shaking up the herb, but I noticed the very top layer was almost charred looking. I took another puff or two, the flavor still being heavily tainted. Suddenly a violating gush of smoke hit me like a truck and I had to run to the toilet to dump the herb as it was on fire - and I mean full-on fire. It stunk up my house, made me cough like crazy and stunk up the vapbong. Gross. This is the first time I've combusted with a vaporizer.

I noticed that in the youtube video from the Collyland folks - the Mini Vapbongs (and my particular one) cause them to cough strongly with just one hit. I don't know what the deal is, if these run hotter because the 20% smaller testicle makes the heating element closer to the material or what, but this is not a good start.

I'll stick with it and try it at least a few more times, but so far - I don't think this is going to work for me. The muddled flavor makes running my ultra premo flower through it a waste, but that combined with the lame build quality, ease of combustion and uneven extraction puts this thing at serious risk of being voted off the island.

I don't see any scenario where this usurps my Volcano Hybrid as my primary desktop. The Volcano Hybrid heats up in a fraction of the time, is far more precise (down to the degree), safer, nearly impossible to combust in, far more even and complete extraction, more flexible and far better tasting. Add to it, that the Volcano Hybrid is less expensive (street price of 20% off MSRP), even WITH a Magma Glass Bubbler attachment... and it comes with the whip, bags, cleaning brush, filters, a grinder, extra screens, etc - whereas the Vapbong just has a useless dish that has a lacquer that causes your ground material to bog and get stuck - which defeats the entire purpose of the loading dish in the first place.

My opinion is of course subject to change with more experience, but just on the muddy flavor alone, I can't see this one being for me.
Honestly if the hot ball concerned you I would steer clear of the flowerpot then. I mean I absolutely love mine but yeah that exposed heat would probably give you a heart attack

JollyGreenGiant

Honestly if the hot ball concerned you I would steer clear of the flowerpot then. I mean I absolutely love mine but yeah that exposed heat would probably give you a heart attack

Just to clarify, I’m not saying the heat on the ball is a deal breaker, I was just surprised how hot it was, and I don’t recall hearing that in the past. I know the CH setup is hot/dangerous - but I expected that, I just didn’t expect it from the Vapbong and that isn’t an issue for the volcano if that makes sense.

Last edited:
JollyGreenGiant,

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Just to clarify, I’m not saying the heat on the ball is a deal breaker, I was just surprised how hot it was, and I don’t recall hearing that in the past. I know the CH setup is hot/dangerous - but I expected that, I just didn’t expect it from the Bapbong if that makes sense.
No? It’s been a discussed at least a few times. Stands to reason it would be fairly hot, especially the mini version. But I can fully understand being a little underwhelmed if you’re expectations were high, especially at the price point.

JollyGreenGiant

No? It’s been a discussed at least a few times. Stands to reason it would be fairly hot, especially the mini version. But I can fully understand being a little underwhelmed if you’re expectations were high, especially at the price point.

When/where? It may be somewhere in ancient history - but I haven’t seen it lately….

JollyGreenGiant,

coolbreeze

The muddled flavor makes running my ultra premo flower through it a waste
I get my best flavors using the old man's method: take a bud about the size of the screen, break it into 3 pieces or so, cover the screen with them, take a toke, shake the ball and re-cover the screen, hit it again; as each stage loses flavor, break up one of the pieces to create more exposure to the terps inside, repeat until it's utterly spent. Nice way to savor your flavor as you slowly get extremely high.

JollyGreenGiant

I get my best flavors using the old man's method: take a bud about the size of the screen, break it into 3 pieces or so, cover the screen with them, take a toke, shake the ball and re-cover the screen, hit it again; as each stage loses flavor, break up one of the pieces to create more exposure to the terps inside, repeat until it's utterly spent. Nice way to savor your flavor as you slowly get extremely high.

Sounds like a PITA, when other products (Herbo TI, Volcano, Bowle, TinyMight, etc - can extract material with no fuss in just a few quick hits.

JollyGreenGiant,

NimChimpsky

Sounds like a PITA, when other products (Herbo TI, Volcano, Bowle, TinyMight, etc - can extract material with no fuss in just a few quick hits.
You can definitely extract with an aromatizer with no fuss in just a few quick hits. I would call the method @coolbreeze highlights a ritual that many here enjoy, not a PITA, but to each their own. To me this method is nice when you want to take your time and really savor those terps. As far as the packaging job, your device was likely packaged well by Collyland but repackaged shittily by customs, and that stinks, but at least no damage! As far as the heating nut being hot, yea thats to be expected and been mentioned here plenty. An exposed coil like an FP is going to be way hotter. It's definitely surprising to hear your opinion that it looked better in pictures. That does suck you feel that way and I am not challenging your assertion at all (as it is an opinion) but I will say that I have only ever seen the opposite sentiment here (folks being more impressed with the aesthetics in person over pics). To me, the glazes/colors of my aromatizers all look noticeably more spectacular in person. Hope you find the settings that work for you!

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Well, that's why I have vapes that will extract material with no fuss in just a few quick hits, and vapes that will indulge a more languorous approach. I also read the thread to try to determine just how I could expect this vape to perform, and I'm in no way surprised nor disappointed as a result.

Top Bottom