Cheap High Quality Bubbler

Beardharmonica

If you want cheap you would be better buy something at your local store. Something on sale and hope it will last. I never broke a piece of glass.

Beardharmonica,

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
If you want cheap you would be better buy something at your local store. Something on sale and hope it will last. I never broke a piece of glass.

Uh, yeah. Like he ^ said. I don't know where you are, but my LHS sells the cheap Chinese crap for 5x more than I pay for it. Think I've purchased at least 8 or 9 cheap Chinese pieces over the past few years. Never had one break, either. These "clones", as I'll call them, and new pieces that incorporate some features of more expensive glass - sometimes guided by this thread or people who participate, may not be as thick or as flawlessly pretty, but most work nicely. And, I could break and re-order 10 of them and still not spend the same money as I would for "good stuff" at any store I've been in - or online for that matter.

jl420

rBVaJFhgqrCASZ1yAAgCKmFlAzQ431.jpg

http://www.dhgate.com/product/best-circulation-blue-glass-bongs-water-pipes/394906325.html

Late night trolling for glass and I found this little number. It's about 8" high and has a 14mm female joint. I ordered it Jan 12 and it should be delivered no latter than Tues :clap:. I've seen a similar looking design that was hand-made by an artist out on Cape Cod but he wants $560 (paid $34 on this rig). I'm sure it's on point with no flaws but it's the price tag than hinders me. :shrug: I've been lucky with just about all my glass from DHgate only 2 rigs functionality really f'n sucked but so far so good.
Don't get me wrong if I have the cash I would jump at buying a glass design from Josh @JoDa_Glass...:rockon::rockon::rockon:

CalyxSmokr

I does look like a tire aha but isn't it a single matrix or something? it's exactly alike my stereo matrix.

edit: @The Beagle that's a funny sig aha
it might be - that is why I hoped someone would correct me. I couldn't see the difference until I got one and now I can't remember which one is which number
I think it was from steven and had slices rather than holes
edit: here it is: http://www.dhgate.com/product/d020-bubbler-hand-blown-glass-vase-perc-water/175832535.html
d020-bubbler-bong-hand-blown-glass-bubbler.jpg

my local stores are ordering from china and charging about 3x more on the same piece. Double the price is certain

Last edited:

howzcat

Hard on Glass
it might be - that is why I hoped someone would correct me. I couldn't see the difference until I got one and now I can't remember which one is which number

Now that's completely different from the matrix!
anyone had any experience with a tire perc, or how it relates to the matrix?

howzcat,

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Now that's completely different from the matrix!
anyone had any experience with a tire perc, or how it relates to the matrix?

I think you're putting a little more importance on the name than the function. Understandable, with the way things sometimes go in this thread. The much beloved D020 above is what I call a slitted perc in its simplest form.

This is a matrix perc:
bong_141219-79.jpg

It is made by Mobius and is found in pieces that go for $300-$500 new. Sometimes copied better than others. The best copies I've seen are by US glassblowers. There are at least a few Chinese pieces that have similar percs, but nothing like this that I've seen. This is why I usually put "matrix" in quotes on this thread.

A tire perc is the same principle, but not nearly as intricate. Here is a piece that used to include a very simple tire perc, but has evolved into this:
1.0x0.jpg

So, a very simple matrix type perc that looks like a tire.

There are also UFO percs that look like this:

rBVaEVfg8siAWbhtAAQNsfu_mJ4349.jpg

They are all examples of showerhead percs (and there are other variations). I think many like them for the same reasons I do. They can all be used with a lower diffusion technique, though the more intricate the perc, the more control it takes. More smaller holes/slits in the perc will usually create more diffusion with smaller bubbles that can stack more. IME pulling your hit through with a harder draw will bring bubbles all the way up the can in some cases, depending on how well the the perc is designed and constructed. This is great for combusting, because it can smooth out the hit and add a bunch of moisture, allowing huge one hit/snaps. But, IMO it also drains flavor from vapor. If you keep it slow and steady through any of these you can avoid that. You get few larger bubbles, or optimally bubbles aren't even formed. You just get a bit of turbulence. This is easier for most people to do with few larger holes, as on the UFO above.

Many options, and very hard to tell what you might like until you get a few hits on one and at least take close looks at videos of others once you have a feel for it. So, for many it's better to go with something simpler - like the D020 types - and build from there. They're usually cheaper and more forgiving of technique in retaining flavor. I have bubbs with each of these and a few more showerheads (as well as other percs) and still mix up which I use for a bit of variety, though I have my favorites. The key with any, if trying to keep as much flavor as you can, is to go slow and steady while pulling vapor through. Once vapor goes through the perc and fills the can, you can clear it as hard as you like with little to no flavor decrease. So depending on perc and function, you can still get a nice bubble show and stack them up the whole can and not lose too much flavor.

MoltenTiger

I have that D020 and a side-car 'matrix' perc.
The matrix piece has much larger volume and a bigger mouthpiece, but in terms of the percs alone; the reti tyre perc is a turbulent perc like a tree perc, but more like a shower head in draw. The matrix has less resistance but similar function. It's smoother due to having a lot more and smaller holes (points of percolation). The larger slits in the reti help retain slightly more flavour (though hard for me to say for sure as my reti piece is half the size).
Overall the reti is a decent option but I'd prefer a better cut and flame polished shower head with smaller holes. The matrix perc looks more impressive and performs more 'comfortably', perhaps smoother. But they're quite similar other than the turbulence (choppier pull with larger bubbles that throw water around. The matrix is very low resistant and stacks bubbles)

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Do you have a real Mobius reti? I have a nice Chinese version. I like it, but the volume is a little more than I like for solo vaping. It isn't too hard to keep it calm while hitting and get great hits through it.

Different strokes.... I like all showerheads, but love my old jhanpixel UFO (where I think the ides for FC-UFO came from). It has those big honkin slits like in the picture above. I've had it for a few years (4?), and don't think it has ever been dry for more than a month!

Baron23

rBVaJFhgqrCASZ1yAAgCKmFlAzQ431.jpg

http://www.dhgate.com/product/best-circulation-blue-glass-bongs-water-pipes/394906325.html

Late night trolling for glass and I found this little number. It's about 8" high and has a 14mm female joint. I ordered it Jan 12 and it should be delivered no latter than Tues :clap:. I've seen a similar looking design that was hand-made by an artist out on Cape Cod but he wants $560 (paid $34 on this rig). I'm sure it's on point with no flaws but it's the price tag than hinders me. :shrug: I've been lucky with just about all my glass from DHgate only 2 rigs functionality really f'n sucked but so far so good.
Don't get me wrong if I have the cash I would jump at buying a glass design from Josh @JoDa_Glass...:rockon::rockon::rockon:
Very nice looking piece, especially for $34. My only wish is that it had a wide base plate as I'm into stability lately. LOL

Please come back and let us know how this piece is on close personal examination. How are the welds, does it sit stably or is it a bit uneven, that looks like a hand made joint...if true, how fine did they do with the joint and the MP, how is the function, etc? (yeah, I'm the guy with a million questions, I just tend to be a bit short on answers! LOL)

Thanks

Thanks

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I just ordered one of these from Steven. Part of me has always wanted a tall bong that I can fill with vapour. I have a small piece from Bakebros but it's not large enough in volume to really milk then clear. I like the ice pinch on this piece and it'll get plenty of use from me since I like my vapour cold. I'm not so sure about the third disc being useful as a diffuser but it should make a good splash guard since I plan to only fill it between the lowest and middle discs.

I can't believe the price for this glass but I'm not complaining at all.
http://www.dhgate.com/product/2014-new-45cm-height-roor-glass-smoking-pipes/214082689.html.

rBVaEFgHPWKARnskAAOcGu2LhMI308.jpg

MoltenTiger

Do you have a real Mobius reti?
I don't have a real Mobius but I might get one someday. The exchange rate and the difficulty of getting one in Aus has ruled them out so far for me.
Mobius make some very nice glass though, the temptation is real.

The percs I was referring to were just Chinese pieces (I believe the same or close to what is discussed above).
Either example I own is flawed in multiple ways which ultimately affects the function. The 'reti' term I've used, taken from the DHGate listing, is technically incorrect as a true reti perc is two layers

I'd love to have more insight, but for now I'll say this.
After transferring to artisan glass after sampling a number of cheap prodo pieces -
If you want quality, make sure it's made by someone that uses it. The difference is huge

Kozzmozz

Infinite realities, infinite possibilities
edit: here it is: http://www.dhgate.com/product/d020-bubbler-hand-blown-glass-vase-perc-water/175832535.html
http://www.dhgate.com/product/d020-bubbler-hand-blown-glass-vase-perc-water/175832535.html[/QUOTE]

Not really on topic but;
Have you noticed when clicking this link, at the bottom of the product page it says: frequently bought together:
those magnetic cubes made from multiple small magnets to fiddle with. :lol:

jl420

rBVaJFhOpGeAPn2fAAIAW4rHqNE649.jpg

http://www.dhgate.com/product/recycler-rig-oil-rig-bong-dab-rigs-and-oil/394262722.html

Always on the prowl for new glass when I came across this little number. (with store coupon I paid $73) It's 8.5 inches high with a 14mm female joint. Contacted seller and they said it was 3-4mm thick made with colored glass not painted. Luv the UFO mouth-piece kind of gives it a almost CIVILIZED look to it :freak:

http://imgur.com/gallery/OFQMO

Thanx Baron23 for the Imgur recommendation. Here's the new rig in action. As the caption says functions as nice as it looks...

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Now that's a proper reti perc! Great scoop

Yeah... I really like it. But the volume of the full piece is about the top of my lung capacity. I like to pull it out when my younger "snap" combusting friends are over. I throw a nano on top and kick the heat up a bit from my normal usage and it blows them away. Blows me away, too!

Here's a pic with the horrible "Bent" glass logo photoshopped out. Label was in the blue circle. I removed the label soon after this, but haven't taken a new pic.
9Lb6nBD.jpg

deltr0n

Big Daddy Oil

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Anyone picked up one of the 10mm dcyclers from glass artist? I know someone a few pages back had a bad experience with him but my previous purchase of a 10mm h!tman style recycler from him was smooth and flawless, reallllllly thinking I may pull the trigger on the electroformed version, too. http://m.dhgate.com/product/glass-b...ormed-glass/393160235.html?invitorid=aqmUZz2c

That is one cool looking little piece! Saw it a couple days ago and has been on my mind. I have good experience with glassartist, too. The reti piece I posted pic of above was from him.

wildything

Anyone picked up one of the 10mm dcyclers from glass artist? I know someone a few pages back had a bad experience with him but my previous purchase of a 10mm h!tman style recycler from him was smooth and flawless, reallllllly thinking I may pull the trigger on the electroformed version, too. http://m.dhgate.com/product/glass-b...ormed-glass/393160235.html?invitorid=aqmUZz2c
I got the non electroformed version when it was first released. I don't use it that much though. Its very small and not very stable. Its my only recycler rig atm and fun when i bring it out for a spin. But at the end of the day it's more of a novelty unless you only dab and enjoy small rigs.

deltr0n

Big Daddy Oil
I got the non electroformed version when it was first released. I don't use it that much though. Its very small and not very stable. Its my only recycler rig atm and fun when i bring it out for a spin. But at the end of the day it's more of a novelty unless you only dab and enjoy small rigs.
So... tippy with a vape? I mainly dab

deltr0n,

Sketch420

So excuse my ignorance, but what purpose does a recycle give vapor? I can understand if I was combusting, but wouldn't you want less water agitation for better flavor of you vaporize? Thanks

howie105

So excuse my ignorance, but what purpose does a recycle give vapor? I can understand if I was combusting, but wouldn't you want less water agitation for better flavor of you vaporize? Thanks

Preference, If one wants maximum taste its a dry stem for some. Other folks just have to have water for various reasons and it a question of how much and how. So in the end, for me its what trips your trigger.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I think for some it's just because it looks cool. It's got that sort of silly straw type appeal where the water zooms around the piece.

Top Bottom