CCA Liger banger V3.0

Gn0sis

anyone get the chance to ask Josh if the current AH coil + shroud will fit the liger air? I'm hesitant to pre-order one because I dont wanna switch back to a regular flat coil

Gn0sis,
anyone get the chance to ask Josh if the current AH coil + shroud will fit the liger air? I'm hesitant to pre-order one because I dont wanna switch back to a regular flat coil

Yes, it has been confirmed it will. I also have an AH setup I wanna use.

scalescliffs,
Reactions: Gn0sis

Gn0sis

I got to the pre-order page, but find myself hesitating. I think I'm gonna wait for more info to come out. I want to see at least 2 improvements to justify the purchase:

1. A more snug fit for the insert in the banger, so it will make better surface contact on the walls and reduce the wobble significantly when q-tipping.

2. Smaller difference between coil and insert surface temperatures.

I'm very happy with my current setup and don't mind waiting however long it takes to see if it's worth the purchase and have CCA deliver it.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
I got to the pre-order page, but find myself hesitating. I think I'm gonna wait for more info to come out. I want to see at least 2 improvements to justify the purchase:

1. A more snug fit for the insert in the banger, so it will make better surface contact on the walls and reduce the wobble significantly when q-tipping.

2. Smaller difference between coil and insert surface temperatures.

I'm very happy with my current setup and don't mind waiting however long it takes to see if it's worth the purchase and have CCA deliver it.

Id love to see number 1 but I doubt its going to happen as Id think it would have already been addressed in the numerous sub revisions of the v3

Number 2 is totally irrelevant to begin with as long as its consistent, but its almost assured as 50% less mass is going to mean a leaner bucket which is going to mean less heat sinking (for better or worse), faster reaction times to temps and ultimately less delta between the coil and surface.

Im thinking the nail is going to be an overall improvement and Im only really holding out due to how things have been running for them lately.

Gn0sis

Id love to see number 1 but I doubt its going to happen as Id think it would have already been addressed in the numerous sub revisions of the v3

I'm hoping for it because, as it says on the website, "The Liger-AIR will be the 1st Liger made 100% in-house"

maybe now Josh can stand at the machining tool and keep perfecting it until the insert just barely slides in as air gets pushed out from under it

friedpiper

Always blazin' new trails..
I've never had a 30mm, so I just pre-ordered the AIR, with an obsidian insert. I will now eagerly wait to see if there are any improvements on the issues you all were talking about, and give a report back

buckhakeesah

Just reporting that I got in on the sapphire sale and the one that arrived is perfect. I cant see any imperfections by the naked eye. It came sealed in shrink wrap plastic. Other inserts (SiC) I've been sent prior were wrapped in paper.

Slagzord

Don't fuckle with shuckle
Ugh, so torn on looking at an upgrade from the 20mm Liger. It looks like all support for that sizing is going to go out the window :(. I may just wait until the sad day my SiC gets sick and needs to go to Dabhalla

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Ugh, so torn on looking at an upgrade from the 20mm Liger. It looks like all support for that sizing is going to go out the window :(. I may just wait until the sad day my SiC gets sick and needs to go to Dabhalla

Our SIC will most likely outlive us all, that stuffs beastly.

But, this is about the cheapest Ive ever seen the full setup for sale outside of those BS "flash sales" on instagram, I mean you won't get it for a while but I don't see it getting much cheaper then right now.

ensabbahnur,

exmex

I wish they were still making inserts for the 20mm, I got the obsidian and have the xL quartz but would love a sapphire insert for it. I have obsidian and sapphire for the 30mm. I find that 20 obsidian vs 30 obsidian, 20 has a touch better taste but 20obsidian vs 30sapphire, the sapphire has a touch better taste with a add smoothness. All these makes me think that 20sapphire would be the best :2c: but i guess ill never know hahaha:haw: NOW with all this said, i am still dialing in the 30mm liger and i am using it with the stock heat shield. I think once im running the AH coil and heat shield it will bring things on par with the 20mm liger. Once i have my hexnail and get things dialed in i will report back. That maybe be a few weeks and by that time i may have the Liger Air to test and dial in but i will report back!
Our SIC will most likely outlive us all, that stuffs beastly.

But, this is about the cheapest Ive ever seen the full setup for sale outside of those BS "flash sales" on instagram, I mean you won't get it for a while but I don't see it getting much cheaper then right now.
I torch the bottom of my 20mm Obsidian insert to clean it because i dont see any way thats easier or quicker to do so, do u think this is degrading it faster or its fine for it? Im hopefully gonna be able to pick up another 20mm obsidian insert for back up but it would be nice to know that these things are as durable as claimed to be.

Last edited:
exmex,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
I wish they were still making inserts for the 20mm, I got the obsidian and have the xL quartz but would love a sapphire insert for it. I have obsidian and sapphire for the 30mm. I find that 20 obsidian vs 30 obsidian, 20 has a touch better taste but 20obsidian vs 30sapphire, the sapphire has a touch better taste with a add smoothness. All these makes me think that 20sapphire would be the best :2c: but i guess ill never know hahaha:haw: NOW with all this said, i am still dialing in the 30mm liger and i am using it with the stock heat shield. I think once im running the AH coil and heat shield it will bring things on par with the 20mm liger. Once i have my hexnail and get things dialed in i will report back. That maybe be a few weeks and by that time i may have the Liger Air to test and dial in but i will report back!

I torch the bottom of my 20mm Obsidian insert to clean it because i dont see any way thats easier or quicker to do so, do u think this is degrading it faster or its fine for it? Im hopefully gonna be able to pick up another 20mm obsidian insert for back up but it would be nice to know that these things are as durable as claimed to be.

Now is the time to grab a AH shield too, only $16.

The 20mm saphs seemed to have a lot of issues, I think its due to how they are shaped vs the 30mm and the stresses at the wall edges.

Ive torched several SIC dishes and Halos until they were stunningly bright red with a MAPP torch with no issues, SIC is some of the most overall durable stuff on the planet and takes heat like a champ and comes out clean as a whistle. edit: just don't drop it, although I've dropped a few a couple of times with no issues, I do feel that if something was to damage the SIC, a fall would be it

ensabbahnur,
Reactions: Hogni

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Just reporting that I got in on the sapphire sale and the one that arrived is perfect. I cant see any imperfections by the naked eye. It came sealed in shrink wrap plastic. Other inserts (SiC) I've been sent prior were wrapped in paper.

Also picked one up and arrived in the same manner, visually flawless and wrapped in plastic, I do prefer the little boxes with the foam inserts better, makes it look like a higher end product.

The edges are different then my other saph dish, these walls look flat like the current quartz inserts and is noticeably lighter than my other saph insert. My old saph insert weighed in at 13.4g/67k just as the website says, the new one is 10g/50k.

At least it only took a week from order to in hand.

Baron23

I torch the bottom of my 20mm Obsidian insert to clean it because i dont see any way thats easier or quicker to do so

Wow, the obsidian cleans up so easy...I just run it at about 190-200 F, put a drop or two of water in there, and then q-tip. If real dirty, I will add a drop of ISO to the water and then q-tip. Still looks like new.

Also, when I dab with the obsidian, I do use two qtips, both ends, to clean it up...its comes clean and stays clean IME.

exmex

Wow, the obsidian cleans up so easy...I just run it at about 190-200 F, put a drop or two of water in there, and then q-tip. If real dirty, I will add a drop of ISO to the water and then q-tip. Still looks like new.

Also, when I dab with the obsidian, I do use two qtips, both ends, to clean it up...its comes clean and stays clean IME.
I do everything u just said and yes it keeps the Inside of the insert clean and fresh. Im talking about the Outside of the insert. I find with the 20mm liger there is alot of splash over and the Outside of the insert gets real dirty. Not a big deal i know but im anal and like to see the Obsidian markings on the Outside of the bottom of the insert when i take it out, i also just like things looking clean hahaha. Do u not clean the Outside of the insert or do u just not get it dirty or do u have a method of cleaning the Outside of the insert that doesnt involve a torch? Thanks :science:

exmex,

nickmo

I do everything u just said and yes it keeps the Inside of the insert clean and fresh. Im talking about the Outside of the insert. I find with the 20mm liger there is alot of splash over and the Outside of the insert gets real dirty. Not a big deal i know but im anal and like to see the Obsidian markings on the Outside of the bottom of the insert when i take it out, i also just like things looking clean hahaha. Do u not clean the Outside of the insert or do u just not get it dirty or do u have a method of cleaning the Outside of the insert that doesnt involve a torch? Thanks :science:

I used to get a lot of spill over with the Chad Bro bubble cap (and even the CCA caps). I have hardly had any since getting the Gordo Riptide though!

nickmo,

Shooby

4ShOObY3 - IG
I agree with @exmex about the splash over. My obsidian 20mm after a few dabs gets stuck do to oil splashing out. Even using the gordo bubble cap or any cap. My sapphire 20 gets stuck at times too. The xl quartz never does.

I do like the taste of the 20mm Liger and got a bunch of back up inserts so I can continue using the 20mm Liger for years to come.

I am still waiting nearly 4 months for CCA to provide me a replacement, replacement 20mm vapor bucket. I am hoping to get one before the 20mm are gone.

Shooby,
Some like to torch 'em. I throw 'em in a little dish with distilled water and Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW) which penetrates carbon. Brown spots on the Sapphire slough off after a couple minute soak. I use it on all my inserts and glass. Q Tips keep the innards clean but you still gotta occasionally wash behind the ears. PBW also contains Sodium Percarbonate which is a favorite of some for cleaning their glass.

PBW is used in the brewing industry and by homebrewers to keep their equipment spotless. You can find it in homebrew stores and on Amazon. Oxiclean works in a pinch.

Last edited:

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art
Since I most likely won't go from the 20mm to the 30mm, I decided to order the 20mm Obsidian insert "just in case". I don't expect anything to happen to my SIC, but I'd hate to be left with a useless setup if anything did. I guess it could be considered insurance...

nickdanger,

sarkunit

People were talking about keeping their Obsidian clean. The second I notice a cue tipping doesn't "go" well ( two full q tips, if the oil becomes very gummy and I can tell it has began to form a byproduct layer), I reduce the temp to 260 and carefully drop DI in, boil the water almost all the way off, and then q tip vigorously until the shines just the way she did when I bought her. I have zero chaz on my unit, never have, and it is the easiest part of the nail to clean.

Gn0sis

I don't like to take my insert out of the Liger at all. Any time you do, you're leaving finger oils and dead skin cells (or whatever debris is on the glove surface) wherever you touch that insert and when you heat it up to dabbing temp again, you're going to smell them burning off... Might as well just clean using a high temp

Turning the temp down to 250F works fine, but it does nothing to clean the outside.

I clean my 30mm sapphire only by turning up the temp on the controller to 940F for 20 - 30 minutes. The insert looks perfectly new afterwards. No chaz, no nothing. I find this to be the most convenient way to clean the outside of the insert besides owning an ultrasonic cleaner. Have been doing this method for at least 6 months.

If I need a quick clean on the spot, I dip a q-tip into an iso bottle and use that wet tip to swab the insert surface right at dabbing temperature (currently around 520 - 540F). Never had any issues with mine nor my friend's sapphires. Not expecting to either since I drop big cold dabs right out of the fridge at that same temp on that surface. Have been doing this cleaning method for at least 6 months.

Top Bottom