• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Cannabis News

florduh

Very well said.

“These people hate weed because they believe it reduces worker productivity by x%.”

I chalk that statement up to either ignorance or willful idiocy on those who believe that. There is nothing better to prove that statement wrong than not wanting to clean the house, taking a nice couple hits of a strong sativa, than ripping through your house cleaning like I’m possessed.

Nothing angers me more than to see people push a narrative on cannabis and how it makes you feel, or what it’s effects are, when they have never indulged. That’s like me telling a pilot or a nuclear physicist they’re doing it wrong when i have zero idea how to fly or what the heck a no problem does…..but that is another discussion and this is not the place 😉

The crazy thing is, these are the same people who will laud needing to drink yourself to sleep every night so the stress doesn't make you swallow a bullet. Just from a productivity standpoint, kicking back with a joint/vape at night would be much better than waking up with a hangover.

I don't know if this is all intentional. It might just be that everyone, even the people in charge, have been swimming in propaganda long enough that they start to believe it.

But my conspiracy theory is... booze doesn't make you question the way society is organized. And that strong sativa just might. And we can't have that. Get to work, serf. Your boss needs a new boat.

Vaporware

If States really feel they need to raise revenue, go get it from rich cunts who make their money by underpaying workers and overcharging customers.

Those are exactly the people they are giving tax breaks to though. Then the government has to make up some of the revenue to keep things running, so the rest of us get to pay in a wide variety of ways.

The wealthy thrive while we experience financial death by a thousand cuts, indirectly (and directly) fed on by a few vampires who want to swim in their Blood Bins like Scrooge McDracula. :rolleyes:

florduh

Those are exactly the people they are giving tax breaks to though.

I know. But it's their government, brother. We just live here. :shrug:

Also this kind of talk is probably a big part of the reason cannabis has been illegal for so long. And why, even when they won't throw you in a cage for using, there still needs to be a sin tax levied to discourage use.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
But my conspiracy theory is... booze doesn't make you question the way society is organized. And that strong sativa just might. And we can't have that. Get to work, serf. Your boss needs a new boat.
There is that but also Nixon associated all the Schedule I drugs with hippies. Fine upstanding white collar crooks like himself don't need booze or cigarettes scheduled at all. Weirdly those last two are probably the only drugs I can think of with nearly no medical application and both are extremely habit-forming.

Last edited:

florduh

There is that but also Nixon associated al the Schedule I drugs with hippies, but fine upstanding white collar crooks like himself don't need booze or cigarettes scheduled at all. Weirdly those last two are probably the only drugs I can think of with nearly no medical application and both are extremely habit-forming.

One of Tricky Dick's aides eventually said they decided to go after weed hard even though their own Shafer Commission said to decriminalize specifically because it would allow them to imprison their perceived political enemies. So, sort of like our own gulags.

Then there's all the financial interests, pharma, the booze lobby etc. Real, material reasons for prohibition.

That's why I said it's just my own little conspiracy theory. Though, you gotta wonder if deep down these demons know that if a big enough percentage of the population starts consuming a substance that helps you see things differently, we'd become ungovernable.

And yeah, I had kind've a rough year in my personal life. So I jumped back on the e-cig train, ostensibly to help with the stress. Really shitty year to do it with the PACT Act nonsense too. Nicotine is an awful drug. It gives you nothng but pissiness if you go to long without it, lol.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
$40 for an 1/8 of decent stuff isnt terrible, but the 25% excise tax and 6% sales tax, and 3% cannabis town tax is what is killing us here on the border (northern CT) of mass.
Eighths generally start at $55 here and I have seen them as high as $85. Yes, the taxes suck, but just like inflation being predominately caused by increasing corporate profits, the price of cannabis here is still nuts independent of the taxes.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Eighths generally start at $55 here and I have seen them as high as $85.
That this is is such a "matter of fact!" I think is really disturbing.
These numbers have zero relation to reality.
Taxes will be unavoidable in the legal market, but competition and free market forces are currently stifled. We need nothing less than full national legalization and interstate trade.

Pukka

That this is is such a "matter of fact!" I think is really disturbing.
These numbers have zero relation to reality.
Taxes will be unavoidable in the legal market, but competition and free market forces are currently stifled. We need nothing less than full national legalization and interstate trade.
Don't ya know economics (and statistics) have nothing to do with reality?

I let my med card lapse now that rec's legal (New Mexico) and my potlowance needed to be increased by about a third to take taxes into account. I'm paying ~165usd/half oz before taxes.

I do think that there are legislators that want national legalization and I think that there are some really good state models (NM for one) to use as a starting point. Personally I'd rather see it stay a state matter and have the feds lay off the interstate trade stuff so I could see some of that west coast greenage. Unfortunately, I think it's going to remain another carrot on the election stick (like school loan reform) to entice the electorate to "vote for me". It's sad, actually even sadder when you realize Anslinger was really only "insuring" his job, like all of the current DEA, etc government agents are now, when he moved from anti-alcohol to anti-drug.

Anyway, Happy Saturday, it's time to smoke ...

vapviking

Old & In the Way
By full national legalization I mean that it would be legal (in eyes of feds) to cross state lines, that's how you'd get that west coast green. Legal states doing commerce. States could still keep prohibition if they choose to be in the dark ages.
It's one thing Shumer has been moving in the right direction on lately, let the industry use the banking systems, etc.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I live in far northern NH. Used to shop dispensaries in Mass, which was a three hour drive. For the last two years, its been Maine, as I live on the border. Maine is giving out all kinds of licenses: to sell, to grow, to process, to test, etc. Maybe they're giving out too many licenses. Over the last year the nearest small Maine town, ten miles from here, went from one then two dispensaries to now half a dozen. My favorite place is in Portland. It was among the first to open and was thriving. But now there are another 10 dispensaries within five miles. Its crazy. I can see my favorite place--organic grow, process their own, and make their own concentrates--struggling. And that's not counting all the medical stores, whose numbers are even higher. So there are now constant sales, with top shelf 1/8ths that were $40-45 available for $22, including tax, which is by price rather than weight. Even on non-sale days, you can get less potent but still fine strains for as low as $15 an 1/8th. I also enjoy concentrates and now shatter that was $50 gm. last year is $25 and can be had for $15 on sale. And the quality is simply outstanding, because of all the competition. While I tend to lean left, this is a clear example of the positive impact of a market/capitalistic approach.

As well, given all the fentanyl death in rural areas like here, I've lost all interest in and avoid like the plague black markets stuff. I'm concerned about my safety and that of my community and don't want to give any money to such evil people who are willing to deal death to make another buck.

Vaporware

While I tend to lean left, this is a clear example of the positive impact of a market/capitalistic approach.

Can you explain what you mean? You describe your favorite growers struggling, so while there are some good deals for consumers right now that sounds like it will have a negative impact in the long run.

Even the best grower, under immense pressure to deliver the lowest cost products possible, will either have to quit growing or start cutting corners and delivering lower quality products, de-prioritizing safety, etc. just to stay in the game…

JBone65

We love our corrupted capitalistic, free market, even though conomic tyranny.
Can you explain what you mean? You describe your favorite growers struggling, so while there are some good deals for consumers right now that sounds like it will have a negative impact in the long run.

Even the best grower, under immense pressure to deliver the lowest cost products possible, will either have to quit growing or start cutting corners and delivering lower quality products, de-prioritizing safety, etc. just to stay in the game…
At the risk of sounding argumentative, I respectfully disagree. Every business in every industry should have to compete to survive. We consumers have every right to expect competition and seek the best value. The main problem IMO is governmental control freaks and other corrupt characters lining their pockets while pretending to do the right thing.

Vaporware

I agree with a lot of that and competition has a lot of advantages, but we should also consider the other side of price point competition.

Taking it outside the cannabis industry, most people look for retailers with the lowest prices, retailers look for the lowest prices they can pay to stock their shelves, producers/manufacturers look for the cheapest way to make what they’re making.

Ultimately to make money for themselves while offering low wholesale prices in a competitive market, if they are legally allowed to and not too disincentivized by tariffs, most companies will move production to places with lower costs and less regulations. That translates into lost jobs at home, low pay and bad working conditions for the new labor forces, and often…less concern for quality, the environment or consumer health and safety.

This is the pattern we have seen over the last several decades, especially following NAFTA and PNTR with China. People who support this system like to point out that it brings some people in poor countries out of poverty and boosts those countries’ overall economies, but I don’t believe it’s the best way to do that and it has hurt labor and small businesses in the US a lot.

I know you get good products cheap in OK right now, and not being a grower I honestly have no idea how low prices can go for US-grown cannabis without encouraging growers to use dangerous pesticides, sell products made from moldy flower, fake test results, etc. (all of which also happen due to greed/lack of care/etc.), but do you agree that at some point prices would be too low to sustain quality US based growers?

These are not simple issues with simple answers and there are still probably ways to produce more high quality cannabis at lower costs, but (unless that cost is very low) once it’s legal I would be very surprised if most cannabis consumed in the US was not grown in another country.

To be fair my argument is probably a bit premature for the highly regulated US cannabis industry, and I’d very much like to see OK prices across the country if it can be done safely and still support the producers, but Polarbearboy brought up the broader system and I thought it was worth questioning the long term effects of what currently looks like a win for “a market/capitalistic approach”.

There are good and bad sides to most of the major choices we make in our governments and economic systems, and sometimes we strive so hard for one good that we create another ill. :2c:

JBone65

I agree with a lot of that and competition has a lot of advantages, but we should also consider the other side of price point competition.

Taking it outside the cannabis industry, most people look for retailers with the lowest prices, retailers look for the lowest prices they can pay to stock their shelves, producers/manufacturers look for the cheapest way to make what they’re making.

Ultimately to make money for themselves while offering low wholesale prices in a competitive market, if they are legally allowed to and not too disincentivized by tariffs, most companies will move production to places with lower costs and less regulations. That translates into lost jobs at home, low pay and bad working conditions for the new labor forces, and often…less concern for quality, the environment or consumer health and safety.

This is the pattern we have seen over the last several decades, especially following NAFTA and PNTR with China. People who support this system like to point out that it brings some people in poor countries out of poverty and boosts those countries’ overall economies, but I don’t believe it’s the best way to do that and it has hurt labor and small businesses in the US a lot.

I know you get good products cheap in OK right now, and not being a grower I honestly have no idea how low prices can go for US-grown cannabis without encouraging growers to use dangerous pesticides, sell products made from moldy flower, fake test results, etc. (all of which also happen due to greed/lack of care/etc.), but do you agree that at some point prices would be too low to sustain quality US based growers?

These are not simple issues with simple answers and there are still probably ways to produce more high quality cannabis at lower costs, but (unless that cost is very low) once it’s legal I would be very surprised if most cannabis consumed in the US was not grown in another country.

To be fair my argument is probably a bit premature for the highly regulated US cannabis industry, and I’d very much like to see OK prices across the country if it can be done safely and still support the producers, but Polarbearboy brought up the broader system and I thought it was worth questioning the long term effects of what currently looks like a win for “a market/capitalistic approach”.

There are good and bad sides to most of the major choices we make in our governments and economic systems, and sometimes we strive so hard for one good that we create another ill. :2c:
According to some accounts, OK is already commanding a sizeable chunk of the US cannabis market, though it's mostly black market so not tracked.

According to the OBN, OK weed is already going to most states and many foreign countries, including legal markets in the US. The number of huge farms is truly amazing, 7167 active growers can easily ship millions of pounds per year.

We can debate the right and wrong of it, and we could try to change it, but it's happening at a high rate, and folks are getting rich.

Bureaucratic, misguided, restrictive-minded, and/or greedy state governments unwittingly create the easy interstate black market. At the same time they bankrupt most of their home-grown growers, and force the smart ones to make hard choices.

There are other states besides OK where the flood gates are open and the price is falling. Granted, most probably regulate more effectively than OK, but the black market incentives are strong so it's gonna happen.

Not seeing this as similar to losing manufacturing jobs overseas. More like goofy states losing jobs/revenue to rational, business-minded states.

Yes, dangerous chemicals are an issue. We need full on federal legalization, complete with minimum health standards and penalties, plus just enough inspectors to enforce it. Our brilliant federal government has a history of spraying Mexican weed fields with poison, knowing American youth were definitely gonna smoke it, and they aren't worried about your health today. As usual, it's up to the individual to fend for themselves. I'm not sure paying more makes it safer. Even Ok is reigning in growers and beginning to check a higher fraction of crops for contaminants. Growers can lose it all if it doesn't pass.

You have to wonder how many dispensaries nationwide are actually selling less expensive Okie weed, which can cost growers $25-50/lb, at $40-80/eighth!!!

Most of us want completely legalized weed.:rockon:

Last edited:

Vaporware

@JBone65 the connection with offshoring jobs is that unless there are regulations/tariffs in the way or the products aren’t reasonably shippable it’s almost always cheaper to produce things in other countries than in the US. That just isn’t an option with legal cannabis right now, but there are countries/companies interested in being suppliers if we open up imports.

We do grow a lot of food here, but I’m not sure that US grown cannabis could compete on price with imports if they were allowed. Especially indoor stuff, but maybe they would just position themselves as being worth the extra money… :shrug:

I’m not saying our governments aren’t screwing up legalization or that capitalism doesn’t get anything right, but US made products specifically competing on price with unrestricted imports don’t tend to fare well.

Since you’re in OK and have a better understanding of how much it costs those growers to put out a good product, how low do you think retail prices (without tax) could/should be to help consumers and support growers? :sherlock:

Vaporware,
Reactions: florduh

JBone65

@JBone65 the connection with offshoring jobs is that unless there are regulations/tariffs in the way or the products aren’t reasonably shippable it’s almost always cheaper to produce things in other countries than in the US. That just isn’t an option with legal cannabis right now, but there are countries/companies interested in being suppliers if we open up imports.

We do grow a lot of food here, but I’m not sure that US grown cannabis could compete on price with imports if they were allowed. Especially indoor stuff, but maybe they would just position themselves as being worth the extra money… :shrug:

I’m not saying our governments aren’t screwing up legalization or that capitalism doesn’t get anything right, but US made products specifically competing on price with unrestricted imports don’t tend to fare well.

Since you’re in OK and have a better understanding of how much it costs those growers to put out a good product, how low do you think retail prices (without tax) could/should be to help consumers and support growers? :sherlock:
I'm thinking the current market in Ok reflects intense competition, and I'm amazed at the bargains I can find. Last time I checked there were 500+ dispensaries in direct competition in Oklahoma county. That number hasn't changed much in the past year or two. While most folks pay more, I specialize in finding excellent deals, currently have my eye on 3 oz of Acapulco Venice (90% sativa, 29% THC) for $140 OTD. Likewise Cannabis has a buy 2 get 1 free deal. Don't have any reason to think prices should be higher. Wish everyone had this problem!

Screenshot-20221217-092707.png

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Let it be known, it was 70 yr old Republicans who blocked federal banking legislation for Cannabis industry for the forseeable future.
And chances are slim to none of the new R. House getting anything at all done, they'll still be looking for "her emails!"
Maybe we can just stop calling ourselves a free market society, N/A anymore (ever?).

Cannabis Reform Dead In Congress After Objections From Republicans

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Let it be known, it was 70 yr old Republicans who blocked federal banking legislation for Cannabis industry for the forseeable future.
And chances are slim to none of the new R. House getting anything at all done, they'll still be looking for "her emails!"
Maybe we can just stop calling ourselves a free market society, N/A anymore (ever?).

Cannabis Reform Dead In Congress After Objections From Republicans
The frustrating part, to me, is that Biden could de-schedule cannabis with an email to the AG. That would effectively end prohibition federally. Or they could reschedule it to 4 or 5. It is not a surprise, given his entire political career, but it is annoying.

Any just society would have torches the Controlled Substances Act long ago.

Madtater

“A divided people are easier to rule.” - Sun Tzu.

Everyone needs to come together. It doesn’t matter who is doing what, until the people come together, and collectively route out corruption in our government, it will still bee the same ole same ole.

People need to wake up, and stop fighting amongst ourselves. That is exactly what the government wants.

florduh

People need to wake up, and stop fighting amongst ourselves. That is exactly what the government wants.

Unfortunately our entire media landscape is run by a few billionaire oligarchs. Regular folk fighting among themselves suits them just fine.

Related, but the Feds assassinated both MLK and Fred Hampton as soon as they started talking about how blacks and poor whites need to make common cause to demand a bigger piece of the pie for their labors. Can't have that. We gotta be divided and at eachothers throats at all times.

florduh

The most watched news network in the country is broadcasting some wild shit about cannabis.

Who the fuck funds SAM?

In 2016, Vice explored in detail who exactly is bankrolling SAM’s agenda to fight cannabis legalization. Among the list of donors, they found a casino owner, a former U.S. ambassador, cops, prison guards, alcohol merchants, and a pharma company that sells fentanyl.

I also saw David Frum was one of their founders. And absolute demon from the Bush Administration with the blood of about a million people on his hands.

Top Bottom