Cannabis News

Vaporware

"The Democrats can nuke the stupid ass filibuster rule for one. That's an option."

Not really, that opens up a whole new can of worms.

Blaming the Dems for voting 50 yes but not the GOP for not even voting just 10 yes is a silly argument

What can of worms? :worms: Yes it would allow a simple majority to pass legislation, but outside of the senate that’s what we consider democracy.

I don’t think anyone’s not blaming the republicans, but the democrats have to share the blame for failing to pass most of the things they claimed to want.

Also, you can believe that all of the dems in the house and senate want everything they vote for, but I look at them more like the guy who “really wants to fight you” but let’s his friends hold him back. They get a lot of good publicity from voting for things they know will not pass the senate.

If they honestly wanted these things passed they could end or modify the filibuster rules (which they have done already for things they actually wanted to pass), but on most issues I think both parties and their major donors are happy with decades of gridlock.

florduh

lso, you can believe that all of the dems in the house and senate want everything they vote for, but I look at them more like the guy who “really wants to fight you” but let’s his friends hold him back. They get a lot of good publicity from voting for things they know will not pass the senate.

Holy shit, that's a great way to put it.

I was also alive and conscious in 2009. Even when Dems have 60 votes, it can easily turn out that at least a few of them are a Joe, last name Mansion/Lieberman so they still can't act. And I believe we're past the era when Dems can get 60 Senators.

I know the argument against filibuster nuking is "but then the Republicans will pass shit with a simple majority!". But I got news for you. The next time there's a GOP President and 50 GOP Senators... they're gonna nuke the filibuster and pass a national ban on a certain medical procedure. You know what might prevent that? Dems getting popular shit done that the majority of Americans want when they actually hold the reigns of power. Like Legalization.

Pukka

Folks, you forget weed is legal in D.C. Any hypocracy here? With very, very few exceptions ALL politicans are smucks. Wasn't legalization in Biden's recient campaign platform?

If I can be honest (and non-politically sided atm) it's a carrot like college debt forgiveness. It's going to come out at election time and then just ... go ... poof. It seems to be how politics are now-a-days. Too few people are getting too much payola while we get strung along.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Yep. The filibuster is absurd and is mostly used historically against popular civil rights legislation. That is, up until 1972 when you get the 2 track "silent filibuster". Now it is an extra hurdle for any legislation. And of course the number of cloture motions has exploded in the last 10 years, let alone the legislation that never came to a vote.

The Senate was created to thwart democracy and protect the power of landowners. The filibuster should be abolished or at least returned to the talking filibuster "tradition". Although I would also be fine with doing away with the Senate completely.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Last edited:

CANtalk

Lots to love... check out Strawberry Cough as I always say :nod: :bowdown:. Sour Diesel is also high on the list so let me point you to Sour Tangie ✨w/ even more rareness & awesomeness. I picked up more today and it was first in the vape tonight (after a week long break too). Wow good & very satisfied, a highly recommended try y'all 💖

Getting back to the earlier price posts, in legal Canada a few years now I just picked up some new cannabis for the first time in over a year :razz:. And prices have definitely come down :clap:. I'm now getting an ounce of quality & frosty pure or strong sativa for ~$60 US, many strains & it was 20% - 25% higher last year. I post pictures often on FC (what's in your vape thread) and fwiw will put these up soon too 👍.

TGIF & happy holiday weekend, cheers 🎄🎅!

EDIT: haf making edits & getting likes at the same time lol, thx :love:

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

florduh

Flying with Cannabis

Repeat from WaPo for Holiday Travellers

In a nutshell: TSA is not enforcing cannabis laws, especially under an ounce of flower or 6oz of concentrates, though its still illegal under Federal law. The real issue is states where its still illegal. In those states TSA may either be required to or encouraged to turn anyone holding over to state or local authorities.

Practice saying "It's CBD..." with a lot of confidence, mixed with impatience and irritation. Basically this vibe and facial expression:

230114_908223010.png

Planck

believes in Dog
My notifications got messed up for this thread. I hope my comments are better late than never.

The article I posted mentions heat/cool cycles as being a possible factor and I know heat above certain temperatures accelerates oxidation in metals even in normal environments.
Doesn't it make sense that if coils and other metal parts of the vapes were large contributors to the toxic levels of metals found in vapor that the sample set would be more uniformly contaminated. The fact that they are not suggests to me that the contamination occurred at some stage prior to vaporization.

Of course Mitch can suck my dick from behind.
:lol:
Politics will never improve as long as we continue to reward politicians for bad behaviour. :brow:

Nicotine is an awful drug.
Based on extensive research, I think that is wrong or at least a gross oversimplification. Nicotine itself is probably as harmless as weed. Research studies found it is about as addictive as caffeine in never smokers. It is a B complex vitamin and may actually play some as yet understood roll in proper cell function. It's difficult to test for nicotine because everyone has some, our bodies appear to produce some.

Nicotine and tobacco smoke are a very nasty highly addictive compound. The chemistry is not yet understood. It's a deep rabbit hole and one has to look at medical research conducted outside the US. :horse:

Last time I checked, the "Supreme's" had nothing to do with making law.
:lol:
But what about her (Diana's) laptop.

As an outsider I see your political system like a Punch and Judy show. There are two puppets but only one puppeteer. I wonder how a two party system can function at all. We have three "major" parties

I think the very definition of free speech in the USA is a powerful tool in keeping people in line. Faux News applied for a broadcast licence in Canada and our "globalist, Soros, panda express, radical leftist communist fascist" :rolleyes: CRTC told them to take a hike, they do not qualify as a news service according to Canadian law. Thank Dog for that!

I'm not suggesting Canada is perfect, far from it but we have some goodies that many do not.

Carry on! :wave:

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968

A national weed glut is causing prices to plummet and imperiling businesses​

By the way, isn't it interesting how much space Politico gives to Cannabis News. They cover more cannabis activities than the NYT and WaPo combined. Why I don't know.

Madtater

A national weed glut is causing prices to plummet and imperiling businesses​

By the way, isn't it interesting how much space Politico gives to Cannabis News. They cover more cannabis activities than the NYT and WaPo combined. Why I don't know.
Suppose it doesnt matter why. Hope the prices still continue to plummet…..

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I think it would be reasonable for $100 to be the floor for an ounce of top shelf flower. I would gladly pay that for the security of dispensary pot. It would be nice if that price included tax, but even if not $120 or $130 w/tax might be fair. It has to be high enough for businesses to be able to survive and comfortably grow quality pot and make a living. But the $400 to $600 we see around here when buying by eighth is just insane and unacceptable, and makes us (or me at least) stay with the black market. And that isn't good for anyone other than the black marketers.

JBone65

I think it would be reasonable for $100 to be the floor for an ounce of top shelf flower. I would gladly pay that for the security of dispensary pot. It would be nice if that price included tax, but even if not $120 or $130 w/tax might be fair. It has to be high enough for businesses to be able to survive and comfortably grow quality pot and make a living. But the $400 to $600 we see around here when buying by eighth is just insane and unacceptable, and makes us (or me at least) stay with the black market. And that isn't good for anyone other than the black marketers.
Just bought 2 oz of blue dream plus 1 oz of sherbet cookies for $140 total. A manipulated market isn't necessary IMO.

My heart goes out to growers who gambled in high cost areas, but I'm not paying extra. I could use the same logic and say that I'm willing to pay $6 per can of beer to ensure the security of brewed beer.

I support regulations that protect people not regulations that raise prices.

Knewt

Just bought 2 oz of blue dream plus 1 oz of sherbet cookies for $140 total. A manipulated market isn't necessary IMO.

My heart goes out to growers who gambled in high cost areas, but I'm not paying extra. I could use the same logic and say that I'm willing to pay $6 per can of beer to ensure the security of brewed beer.

I support regulations that protect people not regulations that raise prices.
I’m happy for your current weed conditions in Oklahoma, however I can’t help but feel like it is an unmaintainable temporary condition. And something that will never take hold in the rest of the country.

JBone65

I’m happy for your current weed conditions in Oklahoma, however I can’t help but feel like it is an unmaintainable temporary condition. And something that will never take hold in the rest of the country.
The point I was trying to make is that the local market is stable after four years, with low prices. No one is complaining.

Cyberguy indicated a willingness to pay more for product quality. Simple regulations specify product quality, and random testing is a relatively simple inexpensive process. No reason to pay more than a few percent for that. It's the dispensary's responsibility to make sure they sell safe products, or face a penalty. A minor consideration compared to overreaching regulations forcing poor people onto an unregulated black market.

What's happening here isn't temporary. It has already become a way of life. The cat is out of the bag. Recreational should pass in 3 months. I'm guessing this will be phase II of the "weed boom". Dispensary sales should double. As I understand it, anyone 21 or older, from anywhere, will be able to buy 3 oz per visit, no limit on number of visits per day.

The OMMA is trying to reign in the criminal element with new regulations and a 2 year moratorium on grower's licenses. However, 7100+ licensed growers as of today. Many are very large operations. I've tried to estimate the amount of high quality maryjane being produced, maybe between 50-100M lbs annually. Right or wrong doesn't really matter at this point. Regardless of the way it should be, it's happening. You might be vaping Ok weed right now.....

I'm seeing a trend locally toward better weed at a lower cost. Also, "sungrown" and "outdoor" growers have an obvious advantage in this market. This is a result of competition, and it's likely to continue. Not only is sungrown less costly, it's potentially better in terms of quality, and it's much more sustainable.

I'm surprised state governments aren't up in arms. Oklahoma is doing okay with the state medicinal market, but is probably wreaking havoc nationally. Oh well. What are you gonna do? 🤑

Last edited:

JBone65

This video is pretty good if you're bored. It explains why the blackmarket is thriving in California, but it potentially applies to other states with corrupted markets.

I'm guessing most folks are relieved to feel some measure of legalization thus, overall, the "public" seems complacent in the face of cruel legislation and taxation.

I view the right to grow and sell a simple product as a God given right. The idea that do-gooders(??) can pass laws which severely restrict those rights such that a select few can profit immensely is appalling. In some places licenses were sold for many millions, based on the plan to tightly control the market.

If a balanced free market existed, weed would be just cheap enough and good enough that the average person would prefer to buy it, just like alcohol.

The evil sheriff of Nottingham has issued an edict that all potheads must pay 5x the actual value, or whatever value he decides is enough.... Fuck that noise! Ye citizens of Sherwood, rise up and fight!

Last edited:

florduh

This video is pretty good if you're bored. It explains why the blackmarket is thriving in California, but it potentially applies to other states with corrupted markets.

I've seen this video before. One of the wildest parts was the farmer at the end who says he's only getting a few dollars out of a $40 eighth. I'd have less of an issue paying a lot for flower if I knew the growers were at least getting paid.

That pretty much sums up all US "free" market capitalism.

What's the point of accumulating all that capital if you can't spend some of it to buy off politicians and regulators? A corporation with shareholders is arguably legally obligated to engage in bribery. Otherwise are they really acting in the best interests of their shareholders?

I swear to god, we incentivize the worst aspects of human nature and then act dumbfounded as to why everything is so fucked.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

Well California paved the way for the rest of the country as we had a medical cannabis program for over 20 years so many of these so called "black market" operations were formerly legal medical caregivers under Proposition 215. When people talk about the "black market" thriving in California, it's mostly media slander designed to single out and attack the passionate and quality driven multi-generational family farmer. It would be like Motts Apple Juice fear mongering about how dangerous the locally grown organic apples from the farmers market are, and how scary the guy who spent his whole life trying to grow the perfect apple is.

I mean it's pretty sad that the dissenting growers most responsible for actually paving the way and making efforts to legalize cannabis for everybody else now get largely maligned under the nefarious guise of being a "black marketer."
It's basically analogous to what the PACT act did to the eCig industry.

It's Hegelian Dialectic. The problem is always created first to condition the reaction for change. Just like every story on the Nightly Noose or their blogs.

Just like using tax dollars from recreational cannabis sales to initiate military style raids on family "pot" farmers.

The mainstream media wants people to believe that the bulk of the black market cannabis sales in California is the result of the Sinaloa Cartel. Lol.

It's baseless and contrived but there's enough believers to perpetuate that sort of group think nationwide, to the point people are afraid of imaginary scary stoners and use that fear to justify a half gram Cresco cartridge pen for $75. Then these companies like Cresco make so much money taxing that they come here to California and sell the exact same pens to us for $10 rather than lower prices for their local customers in the IL and PA markets.

I just don't know how any cannabis enthusiast would really think corporate conglomerate suit and tie cannabis companies who don't even use cannabis themselves are truly the solution to anything.

It's no different from supporting these big vape companies who don't even vape or use cannabis, but have tons of money to market and make more affordable price driven products to dominate the industry.

Planck

believes in Dog
I'd have less of an issue paying a lot for flower if I knew the growers were at least getting paid.
I expect we all would. Small growers the world over get fucked. From the guy growing coffee in South America to the small midwestern farmer.

1 bushel of flour produces about 100 24 oz loaves of bread.
As of December 14, 2022 wheat is $8.78 per bushel, so there's 9 cents worth of wheat in that loaf we paid wtf for.

It's a beautiful system ya.
I swear to god, we incentivize the worst aspects of human nature and then act dumbfounded as to why everything is so fucked.
Profound!

I just don't know how any cannabis enthusiast would really think corporate conglomerate suit and tie cannabis companies who don't even use cannabis themselves are truly the solution to anything.
I expect them to completely fuck the genetics over time. Fast food pot all empty "calories" and if they can engineer some addiction into it. well hell yeah.

One great thing about Canadian legalization is we can grown our own (not sure about Quebec) and one can gift an ounce to anyone. I was surprised and delighted by this.

I'm still celebrating holy jesus christ day.

edit -math error

Last edited:
Top Bottom