Cannabis News

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Some growers have already begun to decrease production and to push legislators to limit licenses to help their cause

Boycott those greedy assholes.

“These people hate weed because they believe it reduces worker productivity by x%.”
These people hate not just weed but also those of us who love it, because they are still following the Old Testament script of hatred of nature and of social racism.
"If you use plants you are a dirty heathen and don't belong in OUR world." It is the same reason why in the UK the Tories banned khat a few years ago- they actually said it is "culturally inappropriate"... because they are scared of black guys with red eyes.

The idea that we can legally make a living out of weed clearly drives them mad with hate.

Damn when will i get used to the no double posting rule!

Last edited:
Haze Mister,

DaVapeGuy

Let it be known, it was 70 yr old Republicans who blocked federal banking legislation for Cannabis industry for the forseeable future.
And chances are slim to none of the new R. House getting anything at all done, they'll still be looking for "her emails!"
Maybe we can just stop calling ourselves a free market society, N/A anymore (ever?).

Cannabis Reform Dead In Congress After Objections From Republicans
Absolutely shocking :rofl:

I wonder if USA will ever legalize it federally...

Rock on Canada :rockon:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
My bone is that they are basically trying to stop others from getting a licence according to that report.

Haze Mister,

florduh

I'm not in the industry, but from what I read, they can't pay the bills if they plant and harvest at full capacity because of the lower prices they've been getting. There may be shenanigans, but from the outside, it seems like a simple case of oversupply causing extreme price drops. 🤷‍♂️

So it seems like the consensus here is regulations and taxes are fucking up the cannabis industry. But if we removed all of that, and allowed interstate commerce.... wouldn't the price of weed just crash nationwide?

I don't really have a problem with that as a consumer but I can foresee a situation where the only ones who can make a profit are massive corpos with large economies of scale.

DaVapeGuy

So it seems like the consensus here is regulations and taxes are fucking up the cannabis industry. But if we removed all of that, and allowed interstate commerce.... wouldn't the price of weed just crash nationwide?

I don't really have a problem with that as a consumer but I can foresee a situation where the only ones who can make a profit are massive corpos with large economies of scale.
I think Canada can be used as a model of what to expect. Sure they have massive producers but they also have craft growers as well.

Also the price should go down as supply goes up, but there's always a niche for high quality (more expensive) product :)

florduh

Also the price should go down as supply goes up, but there's always a niche for high quality (more expensive) product :)

I do have hope for the craft market. As well as handmade concentrates like hash rosin. But in a laissez faire free for all why wouldn't the corpos just buy out the small guys?

Personally, I'm not anti-regulation. I'd just like to see regulations written to benefit the little guy over the corpos. Unfortunately in a Free Market, regulators, legislators, and judges are all for sale too.

I'd like to see regs that edge out big corporations and give the advantage to small businesses, growers, and extractors. Preferably worker owned. It's a pipe dream, but it would be nice.

JBone65

I suspect the small growers wouldn't complain if given a fair shot. Seems like it's the corporate assholes trying to justify preferential legislation to guarantee a profit for half-ass work. Not an expert but not seeing many bankruptcies here in Ok county with 500+ dispensaries and unbridled competition.

JBone65,
Reactions: florduh

Relaxed

This Space For Rent
Let it be known, it was 70 yr old Republicans who blocked federal banking legislation for Cannabis industry for the forseeable future.
And chances are slim to none of the new R. House getting anything at all done, they'll still be looking for "her emails!"
Maybe we can just stop calling ourselves a free market society, N/A anymore (ever?).

Cannabis Reform Dead In Congress After Objections From Republicans

The Democrats own all three branches of our Gov't, blaming the other side is ridiculous. Biden is as anti-marijuana as can be, if they really wanted to make a deal for legalization it would have happened already.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
The Democrats own all three branches of our Gov't, blaming the other side is ridiculous.
Last time I checked, the Supremes were kinda leaning a little to the right?

There are currently 50 Republican Senators and 47 Democrats. Then 3 Independents who usually caucus with the dems.

Mostly I'm with @cybrguy. On this go-round some Republican Senators blocked the attempt. Several were named in the article I linked.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Well who really wants that banking bill to pass anyways, all it would do is allow the banks to continue their perpetual grift and marionette yet another industry while offering zero legal freedoms for We The People.

It's like turning down a bad job offer.

Legalization or bust!

:leaf:

Relaxed

This Space For Rent
Last time I checked, the Supremes were kinda leaning a little to the right?

There are currently 50 Republican Senators and 47 Democrats. Then 3 Independents who usually caucus with the dems.

Mostly I'm with @cybrguy. On this go-round some Republican Senators blocked the attempt. Several were named in the article I linked.

Last time I checked, the "Supreme's" had nothing to do with making law.

Madtater

Well who really wants that banking bill to pass anyways, all it would do is allow the banks to continue their perpetual grift and marionette yet another industry while offering zero legal freedoms for We The People.

Legalization or bust!

Yep. It’s the carrot in front of the donkey to keep him moving.

Until the people realize that the government is just giving us scraps and unite against our corrupt government…it will be more of the same.

We are ALL slaves to the world 1% who control and own our asses.

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Legalization or bust!

Agreed but the benefactors along with banks would be cannabis businesses who currently have to deal in cash, which introduces undue risk and inefficiencies.

Last time I checked, the "Supreme's" had nothing to do with making law.
You understand they are one of the 3 branches of Gov't to which you were referring? You said the democrats own all three but they don't, that's all.

Whether the Supremes make law or not is debatable. It's sometimes called "legislating from the bench."

But, right this branch was not involved in the recent failure of the Senate to even vote on the measure in question.

Relaxed

This Space For Rent
Agreed but the benefactors along with banks would be cannabis businesses who currently have to deal in cash, which introduces undue risk and inefficiencies.

You understand they are one of the 3 branches of Gov't to which you were referring? You said the democrats own all three but they don't, that's all.

Whether the Supremes make law or not is debatable. It's sometimes called "legislating from the bench."

But, right this branch was not involved in the recent failure of the Senate to even vote on the measure in question.

I do, I was referring the House, Senate and Presidency. Those three make laws, and if it was a priority it would have been put up to a vote. But the Biden admin is a firm no on it.

Relaxed,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

An issue I have is that many of these cannabis companies have done so well they've now branched out into multiple states and with more locations underfoot, so it's hard to continue to feel like they are really having as big of a problem with it as the media portrays it to be.

Some dispensaries in my area (SoCal) are just now starting to allow debit card transactions.
But we have a cumulative 33% tax on cannabis in our county so I rarely support as I don't consent to that.

invertedisdead,

Relaxed

This Space For Rent

While Senate Majority Leader Schumer is publicly laying blame for marijuana reform’s failure at the feet of Republicans and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, his words ring hollow in the eyes of most marijuana advocates and industry participants. If there is one person who bears the majority of the blame for this massive failure to accomplish what was an achievable goal, Senator Schumer need look no further than the reflection in his mirror.

While it is true that Mitch McConnell is an ardent opponent of the issue and worked to kill the inclusion of SAFE Banking and other reform in the lame duck session bills, he is still only the Minority Leader. It was Majority Leader Chuck Schumer who is responsible for pushing this issue to the brink and forcing a situation where it needed to be passed in the final weeks of the Congressional session. In fact, Mitch McConnell himself, in a rare moment of intellectual honesty, summed up the situation best when speaking about it earlier this month. In defending his opposition to the inclusion of cannabis reform language in the NDAA, McConnell stated “If Democrats wanted these controversial items so badly, they had two years to move them across the floor. Heck, they could have scheduled those matters for votes this week.”

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I was referring the House, Senate and Presidency. Those three make laws

No! Only Congress can make a law. They're the legislative branch.

I agree that as policy, Biden does not want legalization of cannabis. But I also believe that if a bi-partisan bill were to pass Congress and be put before him, he would sign it.

Re the Forbes article, yes Shumer had to back down or face the dreaded govt shutdown we've all come to know and love. It was a Hail Mary end of term thing, didn't work, republicans didn't allow it.

Republicans would have opposed it any time it came up over the past two years.

@invertedisdead , 33% tax is disgusting!

florduh

People bitch about Mitch McConnell, and he is a real scumbag. Like Pelosi, a guy who makes $174,000 per year somehow has a net worth of several hundred million dollars. But he also accidentally legalized weed nationwide...as long as you call it hemp. I need to try some of that 25% THCA flower still.

I'm entirely too jaded about national politics. Republicans are never gonna play ball with cannabis legalization. Their voters all watch Fox. They tell their audience that weed turns users into schizophrenic mass shooters. No incentive for them to do the right thing.

And the Demonrats... I mean, like any other "good" thing they say they stand for but are never able to make appreciable progress on...I'd cut them a lot more slack if I saw them out there doing a full court press only to fall short. But with legalization (and everything else), they just half ass it. No big press in the media. No pressure on the Right. Nothing.

50/50 Congress or not, someone like LBJ could've got it done. Modern Democrats think politics ends the day after the election. They just blame us, "oh well, you all should've voted harder, lol!"

Seems like it's the corporate assholes trying to justify preferential legislation to guarantee a profit for half-ass work.

Corporate assholes are the ones who can afford to buy regulators and legislators. And yup, they're gonna make sure the rules are set to benefit themselves. That's the free market, baby. Everything has a price.

They can both coexist imo :nod:

I'd like to think so, but looking at other sectors it doesn't seem to really work out that way. Some "little guys" are able to hold out against the corpo tide, but it gets a little harder to make ends meet every year. I hope you're right though.

DaVapeGuy

The Democrats own all three branches of our Gov't

50/50 Congress or not, someone like LBJ could've got it done.

I know politics is confusing, but you need 60 votes to pass the MORE act.

10 republicans aren't willing to vote yes, while 50 dems are willing. This is the democrats fault? Interesting 🤔

DaVapeGuy,
Reactions: Knewt

florduh

I know politics is confusing, but you need 60 votes to pass the MORE act.

10 republicans aren't willing to vote yes, while 50 dems are willing. This is the democrats fault? Interesting 🤔

I'm sorry, but if you think there's going to be 60 Democrats in the Senate for the rest of your natural life, I got some swampland to sell you. (Look at my username if you don't believe me).

So what's the fuckin point of all this then? Just shut the Senate down then if nothing can ever happen until this fantasy of getting 60 votes occurs.

The Democrats can nuke the stupid ass filibuster rule for one. That's an option.

Or even if they're all too much of a pussy to do that, at least make some political hay out of the situation. In unison, call the Republicans out of touch losers on the cannabis issue. I posted a video of Republican Congressmen sounding like a 1930's reefer madness ad. If you can't make political hay out of that, maybe it's time to admit you're not very good at politics.

My guess is someone LBJ could move 10 Republicans, one way or another. I also love that during the Dem Primary, Joe's big argument is "he knows how to work with Republicans". How bout a little of that now?

At the end of the day, I know what it would look like if a political party was serious about getting legalization done. The Democrats look nothing like that.

Last edited:

DaVapeGuy

I'm sorry, but if you think there's going to be 60 Democrats in the Senate for the rest of your natural life, I got some swampland to sell you. (Look at my fuckin username).

So what's the fuckin point of all this then? Just shut the Senate down then if nothing can ever happen until this fantasy of getting 60 votes occurs.

The Democrats can nuke the stupid ass filibuster rule for one. That's an option.

Or even if they're all too much of a pussy to do that, at least make some political hay out of the situation. In unison, call the Republicans out of touch losers on the cannabis issue. I posted a video of Republican Congressmen sounding like a 1930's reefer madness ad. If you can't make political hay out of that, maybe it's time to admit you're not very good at politics.

At the end of the day, I know what it would look like if a political party was serious about getting legalization done. The Democrats look nothing like that.
Lol what I'm saying is it doesn't matter if "they're serious" about legalization or not.

They don't have enough republican votes, even though they "control" the Senate.

Why do you think it's still illegal federally? There's not 60 votes, it's really that simple.

"The Democrats can nuke the stupid ass filibuster rule for one. That's an option."

Not really, that opens up a whole new can of worms.

Blaming the Dems for voting 50 yes but not the GOP for not even voting just 10 yes is a silly argument

DaVapeGuy,
Reactions: Knewt

florduh

Lol what I'm saying is it doesn't matter if "they're serious" about legalization or not.

They don't have enough republican votes, even though they "control" the Senate.

Why do you think it's still illegal federally? There's not 60 votes, it's really that simple.

"The Democrats can nuke the stupid ass filibuster rule for one. That's an option."

Not really, that opens up a whole new can of worms.

Blaming the Dems for voting 50 yes but not the GOP for not even voting just 10 yes is a silly argument

What "can of worms" is worse than a Senate that is totally broken? You said it yourself, nothing will happen without 60 votes. There will never be 60 votes in the Senate ever again. The vast majority of Americans want cannabis legalized, yet their government is unable to act on it because of some bullshit rule intended to uphold racial apartheid. The can of worms is open.

Why did they even vote on this if the result was written and sealed 2 years ago?

Of course the Republicans suck. But a competent political opposition would at least try to peel off 10 votes, especially given the public tide. The Loser Dems didn't even try. Politics doesn't end the day after an election.

Top Bottom