Cannabis News

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
Marihuana with an H is wild Tobacco - Mexico - Nicotiana, solanaceae ( nightshade) ...
I'm not able to find exact reference ( sorry) but the word Marijuana means imprisonment.
look up - Phylum of marijuana , taxonomical data for a marijuana plant ( Clade , plant order, Family ) ... any of those ... there is Zero botanical data for a [plant with that name . the word is 100% political made in order to arrest and imprison the people nearly associated ( Everyone near plants) .
in order to make cannabis plant illegal there was no amendment to our constitution , it was simply renamed to marijuana and no one knew what that was ...
this - Cannabis is an herbaceous ,flowering angiosperm plant species in the cannabaceae family of plants .

So with the most extensive searchable data base in human history neither of us can find ANY information that supports your claims. Yeah seems like completely made up hysteria without a shred of evidence to back it up. I could be wrong but then you're the one making wild accusations and claims without a shred of evidence. Thanks but I dont think I will demonize a word or the people using the word / product it describes because some guy on the net claims it means something he can't provide evidence of.

I will say I was sorta pulling for you to show me up. I have a family style of martial arts I'm currently updating to reflect current threats. I would love to be able to name it Marijuana style, Instead of something like Paul Vunaks Rapid Assualt Tactics it could be Invigorating Marijuana style.

Last edited:
Babylon Drifter,
Reactions: BrianTL

Vaporware

For those of us who grew up in the 70's we thought weed would be legalized soon, until Ray gun became president. So not much stigma for us 60-70 yr Olds.

I hope you’re more right than I am! My dad’s used it most of his life so he has no problem with it, but my mom (mid 60s) was extremely against it. I think I’m slowly turning her a bit, but she has medical issues that could be helped by it and she’s still afraid to try it because of the bullshit she was taught…it played a big part in my parents’ divorce in the 90s too… :disgust:

shredder

I hope you’re more right than I am! My dad’s used it most of his life so he has no problem with it, but my mom (mid 60s) was extremely against it. I think I’m slowly turning her a bit, but she has medical issues that could be helped by it and she’s still afraid to try it because of the bullshit she was taught…it played a big part in my parents’ divorce in the 90s too… :disgust:

I was a senior in high school in 1972. You could not go into a school bathroom without breathing marijuana smoke, lol. All my friends smoked, but I still played basketball and football. Most cops would confiscate it, but you didn't get in a lot of trouble, no ticket, no court.

Then well after high school I had to stop smoking in 1980 because of having a nuclear clearance I was regularly drug tested and later in my career I was also tested because I held a cdl license. In the 80's and ray gun things changed, people got busted and had court dates and there was more and more testing for employment.

But in the 70's I really thought we would be legalized in short time. Briefly cannabis was legal after a major legal case, but it all disappeared in a cloud of disappointment.
387-mich-91-2.html

Last edited:

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
There's lots of little tidbits in US history that are simultaneously hilarious and infuriating. Nancy Reagan being hooked on every prescription upper and downer known to man while telling kids "Just Say No" is a great example. The White House doctors had to confront Ronnie about it.

I dunno, I always respected them for thier honesty. Ron was an alcoholic, and Nancy was a pill popping beast. Both were legal and benifitted the nation through taxes. Say no to those illegal drugs they dont make a profit from though, they benifit foriegn smugglers, America first.

C No Ego

So with the most extensive searchable data base in human history neither of us can find ANY information that supports your claims. Yeah seems like completely made up hysteria without a shred of evidence to back it up. I could be wrong but then you're the one making wild accusations and claims without a shred of evidence. Thanks but I dont think I will demonize a word or the people using the word / product it describes because some guy on the net claims it means something he can't provide evidence of.

I will say I was sorta pulling for you to show me up. I have a family style of martial arts I'm currently updating to reflect current threats. I would love to be able to name it Marijuana style, Instead of something like Paul Vunaks Rapid Assualt Tactics it could be Invigorating Marijuana style.
I had someone explain it to me a few months ago and did not save the info ... as mentioned try and find Taxonomical data for a marijuana plant , seriously ... what family is it ? what Clade, what Phylum or species ????? cannabis plant - cannabinoids , endocannabinoid system , cannabinoid science ... there are no marijuananoids, marinoids, mari anything except for Marihuana ( an H ) which is Tobacco, completely different plant etc....

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
I had someone explain it to me a few months ago and did not save the info ... as mentioned try and find Taxonomical data for a marijuana plant , seriously ... what family is it ? what Clade, what Phylum or species ????? cannabis plant - cannabinoids , endocannabinoid system , cannabinoid science ... there are no marijuananoids, marinoids, mari anything except for Marihuana ( an H ) which is Tobacco, completely different plant etc....

🤔 So you think I should probably just go for it and name my morning Tai Chi self defense class Invigorating Marijuana Style? I ran it by my advanced class this morning and they loved it, full disclosure they were all pretty high.

florduh

Tai Chi self defense class Invigorating Marijuana Style?

High Chi?

Joke Reaction GIF by Travis

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
You are absolutely incorrect and repeating bad information.

The US Controlled Substances act uses the term "marihuana" and literally defines it as
Cannabis not including hemp.
Your information is ahistorical about a time when many members of this forum were even alive and paying attention.

The history of prohibition is an interesting one and I think you might benefit from reading about it.

C No Ego

You are absolutely incorrect and repeating bad information.

The US Controlled Substances act uses the term "marihuana" and literally defines it as
Cannabis not including hemp.
Your information is ahistorical about a time when many members of this forum were even alive and paying attention.

The history of prohibition is an interesting one and I think you might benefit from reading about it.
Mexicans were smoking tobacco in America and called it marihauna ... the Gov did what they did ... Hemp is Cannabis

C No Ego,
Reactions: shredder

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Mexicans were smoking tobacco in America and called it marihauna ... the Gov did what they did ... Hemp is Cannabis
So, you are saying that spanish-speaking people in Mexico were uses the anglicized spelling of a Spanish name as slang for tobacco at some point prior to prohibition? And that the US government used either that spelling (or the correct spelling, it is unclear from your posts) to trick the constitution into allow prohibition?

I think I am going to need a couple of citations for that.

C No Ego

So, you are saying that spanish-speaking people in Mexico were uses the anglicized spelling of a Spanish name as slang for tobacco at some point prior to prohibition? And that the US government used either that spelling (or the correct spelling, it is unclear from your posts) to trick the constitution into allow prohibition?

I think I am going to need a couple of citations for that.
makes you wonder why there are two spellings that are supposed to be the same thing when in fact it is not even the plant being mentioned ??!! originally we called cannabis with THC expression " Indian Hemp Drug" .
the fact that ther is no way at all to trace any taxonomical lineage data for a marijuana plant really raises concerns ... I'd go so far as to say that if the GOV recognized it as a cananbis plant legally in wording they in no way could arrest anyone for use as a cannabis plant is not illegal at all , Marijuana is which again there is Zero data for a plant with that name in botany

C No Ego,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Marijuana is which again there is Zero data for a plant with that name in botany
Yeah dude, it was specifically picked by Harry Anslinger to whip up racist furvor against cannabis. This is well documented and not at all a secret. Like I said before, read the real history of prohibition. It is fascinating.

The reality is far more interesting than some theory about why you need an "H" to lock people up.

shredder

Yeah dude, it was specifically picked by Harry Anslinger to whip up racist furvor against cannabis. This is well documented and not at all a secret. Like I said before, read the real history of prohibition. It is fascinating.

The reality is far more interesting than some theory about why you need an "H" to lock people up.

In Michigan's medical marihuana act of 2008 they spelled it with a h, just to piss us off I guess. There were a lot of complaints but the h stayed, still though the weed was freed, at least medically in 08.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
In Michigan's medical marihuana act of 2008 they spelled it with a h, just to piss us off I guess. There were a lot of complaints but the h stayed, still though the weed was freed, at least medically in 08.
Washington state just passed a bill to fix the language across it's laws and rules, finally replacing term Marijuana with Cannabis.

While I'm glad they did this I wish they would have also fixed the synthetic cannabinoids confusion and picked up the homegrow bill.

C No Ego

OK, I found it here it is
quote " The word Marijuana comes from Mexican Spanish, which in turn took it from Nahuatl word mallihuan literally meaning "prisoner". The use of the term by the English / North Americans to specifically refer to Cannabis Sp. dates back to 1894 with the Old- to Middle- English variant mariguan. For Political Context, that's right at the beginning of the second term of the Grover Cleveland presidency and comes from the concept of marijauna's association schizophrenia, which under the then-prevalent Freudian psychoanalytic psychology the clinical effects of cannabis was properly understood at the time to be a plant which holds one captive as a prisoner hence the reason the name stuck in common parlance. " unquote

Also, the main reason cannabis was prohibited was to keep enforcement jobs active in the GOV after alcohol was taken out of being prohibited ... an entire segment of GOV had nothing to enforce and regulate so the cannabis plant was targeted to enforce all the laws of prohibition upon . and too, around that time synthetic allopathic pharma was coming on board and doing all it can to take out natural medicines from the populace and leave the people reliant on the new synthetic meds on offer as the new norm ... and of course the paper makers from trees did not want the competition from cannabis hemp fiber etc....

Edit - and I added tactical assault to the meaning of marijuana as SWAT can " because of a persons vicinity to nature ( plants )" can come into your home and shoot your dog in the face and only find ground up tea leaves in your garbage ... oops so sorry for shooting your canine in the face , our bad ( DEA)

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
The word Marijuana comes from Mexican Spanish, which in turn took it from Nahuatl word mallihuan literally meaning "prisoner".
I stand corrected. I now remember this from Cannabis: A history. Although I believe that the claim was that Anslinger selected that word because he thought it meant "captive of a plant" - i.e., an addict.

Anyway, I still don't agree that they had to rename it to get around the constitution. I do absolutely agree that they picked that name intentionally. Anslinger was a virulent racist, even in the context of the times. He absolutely wanted the drug war that we have had over my entire life. While you can blame many people for American mass incarceration, Anslinger was an enthusiastic architect of a system that locks up people of color.

Anyway, thanks for the citation! I still don't think the selection of "Marihuana" of "Marijuana" was intentional, or served any purpose. But you nailed it on history.

florduh

Although I believe that the claim was that Anslinger selected that word because he thought it meant "captive of a plant" - i.e., an addict.

The most important reason they selected a Mexican slang word to describe what was previously called cannabis or hemp is to make the plant sound scary and foreign. That made it easier to sell prohibition.

And like most shitty things, it was a private/public partnership. Hearst owned lots of lumber. He was worried about competition from hemp. So he called on his servants in the government. He also owned a huge percentage of American newspapers and pumped out stories about this scary foreign drug that made black and brown men rape white women.

All these prohibitionists need to face up to the ugly history behind their movement. Weed wasn't made illegal because the government was concerned about citizens' health. Or the children ®. No, weed was criminalized to protect an oligarch's business interests, using extremely vile racist arguments.

C No Ego

I stand corrected. I now remember this from Cannabis: A history. Although I believe that the claim was that Anslinger selected that word because he thought it meant "captive of a plant" - i.e., an addict.

Anyway, I still don't agree that they had to rename it to get around the constitution. I do absolutely agree that they picked that name intentionally. Anslinger was a virulent racist, even in the context of the times. He absolutely wanted the drug war that we have had over my entire life. While you can blame many people for American mass incarceration, Anslinger was an enthusiastic architect of a system that locks up people of color.

Anyway, thanks for the citation! I still don't think the selection of "Marihuana" of "Marijuana" was intentional, or served any purpose. But you nailed it on history.
there was no constitutional amendment to our constitution to prohibit/ ban/ make illegal the cannabis plant ... the fact that no one knew what a marijuana plant was back then confused everyone save for congress who used that word in a work around way . later when this actually came to light the ( early 70's late 60's) UN drug treaties took over the ruling of that law . so still cannabis plant is not in the constitution of the states as banned nor prohibited as there was no amendment to the constitution for such .. alcohol needed an amendment to ban it and then sign off to release the ban .

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Top Bottom