Cannabis News

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
What I don’t like is 1) the cost to be in the program
For next time....Dr. Jennifer Minkovich in PA, only charges $50 for re-certs. Then the $50 to the state for the card, $100 total. That's not too unreasonable to be honest. Paid same price for med card when I lived in Colorado, and that was only cause I got an "industry" discount thru work.

GetLeft

Nice to see you @Silver420Surfer . Always appeciate what you say.

I hear you a little bit. 50 state fee + 50 med recert (after the initial year). That’s yearly.

The yearly med recert is extortion. Anyone who’s been through it knows. And the state fee is ridiculous also.

Add the cost of avg. to decent product and guess what? It’s a ‘middle class and up’ person’s game. It’s not looking to serve commonwealth citizens. It’s looking to maximize profits. The state approval of the mmj program included provisions for not pricing low income citezens out of the program. To date, no provision has been implemented.

I don’t object to paying a once and done state / med recert fee. I object to it being yearly. For me yes but more for those who can’t afford it.

C No Ego

Why in the Hell are mainstream articles still calling it marijuana ? I usually avoid those types of articles as they are not even correct in botanical terms ... they do mention cannabis sativa ETC... then suddenly marijuana out of the blue with no refernce to anything substantial ( Science??) ... the word marijuana means imprisonment and tactic assault - literally
edit - the palnts lineage can be described with chemotypes, phenotypes, cultivars, phenovars ( Varietals) and they are ALL cannabis plant not a marijuana plant in any of that . guess political wording makes it deep into the psyche of the people and they cannot let go

florduh

Here's another feather for your normalization cap. I've known plenty of people who look down at stoners but will drink red wine "for the health benefits". Any heart or other health benefit to drinking alcohol almost certainly comes from the stress relief drug use provides. It turns out, you can probably get those same benefits from cannabis without drinking poison.

C No Ego

Here's another feather for your normalization cap. I've known plenty of people who look down at stoners but will drink red wine "for the health benefits". Any heart or other health benefit to drinking alcohol almost certainly comes from the stress relief drug use provides. It turns out, you can probably get those same benefits from cannabis without drinking poison.
research of Dr David Allen ( retired heart surgeon) show how exactly cannabis protects the heart ... he even claims protection for up to thirty days after initial use =- That long Wow !
Edit - and Israel has been using volcano vaporizer in their hospitals for years now - to provide therapy for people with heart conditions !!

jbm

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I don't know how they can do it without nanotechnology which still makes me quite nervous. Not enough research on it as a method of getting past the blood brain barrier.

I will pass, for the near term at least...

cybrguy,
Reactions: shredder

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
Here is some discussion that may help...

I see nothing in that article that says marijuana means incarceration or tactic assualt. In fact it said:

"The word “marijuana” comes from Mexico, but its exact origins remain unknown. According to the book Cannabis: A History by Martin Booth, it may derive from an Aztec language or soldiers’ slang for “brothel” – Maria y Juana."

Aside from that is seems to be yet another case of people looking for an excuse to be offended. No one seems to mind itt being called Dope nor do tbey mind calling it getting stoned or even worse you're a stoner if you smoke marijuana. I spent 20 years in a part of the world where getting stoned most definitely isnt considered a good thing or a pleasant experience.

Vaporware

I know young people can seem like they’re looking for things to be offended by, but I think the stigma still attached to the word marijuana by older people (like my mom in her 60s) is the main issue here.

We were both taught how horrible and evil drugs like marijuana, LSD, cocaine and heroine were (as if there is much similar between them), and I do think that calling it cannabis or something else in things like laws, dispensary names, vaporizer ads, etc. is probably less likely to get a negative response from people who grew up on “marijuana bad”.

I don’t know a lot about how people refer to reefer outside the US, but I did see a post here recently questioning why we’re still saying marijuana in the US. I think the kind of propaganda I was fed reached a lot of other countries through the “war on drugs” sadly…

So yeah, I think it’s fine to use any of the names I’ve heard for it, and I use a variety of them, but I also get why a lot of people might prefer to avoid some of those terms.

It might be a little like calling alcohol the demon drink in the 1930s as prohibition was ending here. I’m sure plenty of people were still sensitive to that kind of thing too, and stirring those types of thoughts and feelings while trying to gain acceptance may be counterproductive. :2c:

Babylon Drifter

Black Taoist
I know young people can seem like they’re looking for things to be offended by, but I think the stigma still attached to the word marijuana by older people (like my mom in her 60s) is the main issue here.

We were both taught how horrible and evil drugs like marijuana, LSD, cocaine and heroine were (as if there is much similar between them), and I do think that calling it cannabis or something else in things like laws, dispensary names, vaporizer ads, etc. is probably less likely to get a negative response from people who grew up on “marijuana bad”.

I don’t know a lot about how people refer to reefer outside the US, but I did see a post here recently questioning why we’re still saying marijuana in the US. I think the kind of propaganda I was fed reached a lot of other countries through the “war on drugs” sadly…

So yeah, I think it’s fine to use any of the names I’ve heard for it, and I use a variety of them, but I also get why a lot of people might prefer to avoid some of those terms.

It might be a little like calling alcohol the demon drink in the 1930s as prohibition was ending here. I’m sure plenty of people were still sensitive to that kind of thing too, and stirring those types of thoughts and feelings while trying to gain acceptance may be counterproductive. :2c:

Well, I was in my 20's and buying weed in Afghanistan from locals in 1980. They didnt call Ghani, they called it marijuana. (I'll let you do the math on my age).

Sure growing up it was called reefer, the devils weed and a gateway drug by people with plenty of opinions of how everyone else ought to live thier life. There are plenty of actual issues going on today that need young peoples energy and attention. There is constantly uproar these days over words that your grandparents used because "activist" invented new meanings like incarceration or tactic assualt. Supporting nonsense like this is literally enabling these so called activist to mislead and misdirect people's attention away from actual things that do matter.

florduh

I kind of like the word marijuana. But its origins are absolutely fucked up. William Randolph Hearst started calling cannabis "marijuana" in all of his newspapers to make it sound foreign and scare white people. That's how the word became synonymous with weed.

I'd like to think we've reclaimed the word at this point. But it is kind of funny that I get letters from the State of Floriduh's "Office of Medical Marijuana". It's like getting a letter with the State seal from the "Office of Scary Brown People Tobacco". I don't think there's any uproar. Just people saying "kind of fucked up we still use this word given how and why it was coined".

Vaporware

Well, I was in my 20's and buying weed in Afghanistan from locals in 1980. They didnt call Ghani, they called it marijuana. (I'll let you do the math on my age).

Sure growing up it was called reefer, the devils weed and a gateway drug by people with plenty of opinions of how everyone else ought to live thier life. There are plenty of actual issues going on today that need young peoples energy and attention. There is constantly uproar these days over words that your grandparents used because "activist" invented new meanings like incarceration or tactic assualt. Supporting nonsense like this is literally enabling these so called activist to mislead and misdirect people's attention away from actual things that do matter.

Sorry, I didn’t read the article…I was making a more general comment though that I think there is a lot more of a stigma against the word “marijuana” among older people than younger.

There are some people have a problem with the word due to its history, but I don’t think most young people care too much.

I do think it might make some sense to use a different word like cannabis in laws, marketing, etc. specifically so *older* people wouldn’t have the automatic associations we all had with propaganda like reefer madness or the DARE program I went through.

I’ve generally come down on the side of leaving words and names with questionable histories alone unless they are obvious slurs against a group like “Jewing” someone down, but things like that were fairly common when I was a kid and I’m not sad to see them fading away.

So basically while I plan to continue to say marijuana, cannabis, pot, weed, etc., I think there is some benefit to using more neutral words like cannabis in some situations, and I do think that it’s okay for new generations to push the language a little.

I also think it’s okay for the rest of us to continue saying what we want as long as we’re comfortable with it. :) :2c:

shredder

C No Ego

Huh? In what language? You got a source for that assertion?
Marihuana with an H is wild Tobacco - Mexico - Nicotiana, solanaceae ( nightshade) ...
I'm not able to find exact reference ( sorry) but the word Marijuana means imprisonment.
look up - Phylum of marijuana , taxonomical data for a marijuana plant ( Clade , plant order, Family ) ... any of those ... there is Zero botanical data for a [plant with that name . the word is 100% political made in order to arrest and imprison the people nearly associated ( Everyone near plants) .
in order to make cannabis plant illegal there was no amendment to our constitution , it was simply renamed to marijuana and no one knew what that was ...
this - Cannabis is an herbaceous ,flowering angiosperm plant species in the cannabaceae family of plants .

C No Ego,
Top Bottom