• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Cannabis News

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Police thought they made a big weed bust. But a judge ordered them to return 1,800 pounds of cannabis oil and $620,000 in cash

A judge in California has ordered the Santa Barbara County sheriff’s office to return 1,800 pounds of cannabis oil and $620,000 in cash that it seized earlier this year from a cannabis farm.

=======================================================================

A man serving 18 years in prison for intent to distribute cannabis dies from COVID-19 complications with two years left on his sentence

The War on Drugs is expanding its reach and how it is claiming victims, this time via COVID-19 taking the life of a Kentucky man convicted of drug charges and sentenced to 18 years in federal prison.

With fewer than two years left on his sentence, Fidel Torres died from coronavirus-related complications following an outbreak at the Lexington Federal Medical Center, a federal prison in Kentucky.

Last edited:

Tranquility

Police thought they made a big weed bust. But a judge ordered them to return 1,800 pounds of cannabis oil and $620,000 in cash

A judge in California has ordered the Santa Barbara County sheriff’s office to return 1,800 pounds of cannabis oil and $620,000 in cash that it seized earlier this year from a cannabis farm.
I'd love to see what the cops were thinking. California has required them to return legal weed for a very long time. It is well settled law. The cash is a bit more sketchy and the law is not quite as clear on that. (The oil was legal. Cash is fungible and could have been gotten from anywhere.) Not that the police should end up with it or even be able to seize it when there is a perfectly good explanation for it.

Adobewan

=======================================================================

A man serving 18 years in prison for intent to distribute cannabis dies from COVID-19 complications with two years left on his sentence

The War on Drugs is expanding its reach and how it is claiming victims, this time via COVID-19 taking the life of a Kentucky man convicted of drug charges and sentenced to 18 years in federal prison.

With fewer than two years left on his sentence, Fidel Torres died from coronavirus-related complications following an outbreak at the Lexington Federal Medical Center, a federal prison in Kentucky.
Hey @macbill
As always, thanks for sharing, but I don't know what to do when you post great news and awful news in one post. How do I like/hate a post?

Summer

Long Island, NY
If I really like a post & I don't "hate" the other one, I'll like the post, but if I hate the other, I don't leave a reaction. Same as I do with the picture & GIF meme threads or any threads with multiple inputs.

Summer

Long Island, NY
@Vapor Eyes, it's not hate as in bad news, it's that I highly disagree with the opinion or premise of the article, thus the sentiments of the OP in posting it.

Summer,

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@Summer I must have misunderstood you, you initially mentioned awful news. I was simply saying I like being informed of news that can be considered awful, so I like the post and by extension the poster for informing me, regardless of the content of the news.

Trogdor

Vapinating the peasants
Marijuana concentrates spike THC levels but don't boost impairment

The paper, published June 10 in JAMA Psychiatry, is the first to assess the acute impact of cannabis among real-world users of legal market products. It could inform everything from roadside sobriety tests to decisions about personal recreational or medicinal use.

Interesting read, especially the bit about roadside testing. Just recently I've been thinking about how something like having a beer at a restaurant and then driving home is perfectly legal, while getting inside your car after one hit is considered a DUI even in legal states.

Tranquility

If you have a high tolerance it gets harder and harder to actually be impaired. Unfortunately this means that measurements of blood concentration and so on are are pointless.
While I tend to believe it true, do you have a cite for that? Not the blood concentration having little relation to impairment, I think we've all seen those. But, that "tolerance" reduces impairment.

These guys don't think so:
Acute effects of cannabis and cocaine on neurocognitive performance were similar across cannabis users irrespective of their cannabis use history. Absence of tolerance implies that that frequent cannabis use and intoxication can be expected to interfere with neurocognitive performance in many daily environments such as school, work or traffic.

This guy does:
Still, there is enough evidence available from the wealth of cannabis tolerance studies to safely conclude that with sustained long-term use at a set dosage, it is indeed possible to develop a tolerance to some of the effects of cannabis. It has also been shown that cannabis tolerance in frequent cannabis users can decrease following a relatively short break from cannabis use.

Edited to add, a new study seems to agree with both positions in that:
Marijuana concentrates spike THC levels but don't boost impairment
The researchers aren't sure how the concentrate group could have such high THC levels without greater intoxication, but they suspect a few things are at play: Regular users of concentrates likely develop a tolerance over time. There may be genetic or biological differences that make some people metabolize THC more quickly. And it may be that once compounds in marijuana, called cannabinoids, fill receptors in the brain that spark intoxication, additional cannabinoids have little impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tranquility,
Reactions: macbill

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Lawmakers Ask Fellow Congressional Democrats To Pursue Marijuana Legalization Amid Policing Debate

As congressional Democrats push for a broad package of policing reform legislation, two members of the House circulated a sign-on letter on Thursday urging fellow lawmakers to keep marijuana reform in mind as a way to further promote racial justice.

Reps. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) and Barbara Lee (D-CA) led the “Dear Colleague” letter, which was shared with Marijuana Moment and asks members to “consider another crucial issue towards criminal justice reform: eliminating the failed prohibition on cannabis.”

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Tranquility

https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/counties/franklin-county/article243568927.html

A Frankfort City Commission candidate made his stance on legalizing marijuana clear when he lit a marijuana pipe in the middle of a live campaign debate.

Tim Childers, a Frankfort native and one of 12 Frankfort City Commission candidates, lit a marijuana pipe while answering a question during a June 1 video debate.

“Let’s go against the state and legalize something,” Childers said as he held a lighter to his marijuana pipe. “Big money in that. Bunch of states doing it. I have the answers — candidate with solutions, people.”

Tranquility

Forbes is worried we're not buying weed right.

Science Reveals The Cannabis Industry’s Greatest Lie: You’re Buying Weed Wrong (And So Is Everyone Else)

There’s much more to cannabis than THC—for solid proof, look no further than the CBD boom—but when it comes to moving product on the legal recreational market, only two numbers matter: the list price, and the THC content.

Super-potent cannabis flower, with THC percentages of 25 percent and up, dominate dispensary shelves. High-THC cannabis will sell out very quickly while lower-percentage weed gathers dust.

When cannabis tests at more than 25 percent THC, dispensaries can justify charging $75 or more for a store-bought eighth—because there’s a very good chance people will pay it, confident that they’re taking home the best and most potent weed available. If the weed’s in the teens, well, it had better be cheap.

The problem is that this is all wrong. All of it.

------------
“It’s a shame,” said Neil Dellacava, the co-founder of Gold Seal, a San Francisco-based cannabis brand that specializes in high-end flower. “I find stuff that’s absolutely amazing that I have to throw in the trash because it tests at 18 or 19 percent.”

At that level, despite “an amazing terpene profile, the best smoke I’ve ever had” simply will not sell, he said.

“People just don’t understand,” he added. “When people go shopping, they look for two things: they’re looking for price, and they’re looking for THC percentage.”

The THC fallacy persists despite everyone’s best efforts. Both Instagram influencers as well as cannabis entrepreneurs and advocates have tried to explain that the THC number is, at best, a rough estimate (and a number that, depending on the lab that came up with it, might be inflated or suspect).

With this much momentum, it’s unlikely science will change anything. It will take a long time for buyers to adjust their habits and realize THC content isn’t like alcohol by volume on a beer label after all. Until they do, connoisseurs can take advantage of the market inefficiency, and take home superior pot with lower THC levels at a reduced price. It will just require a little more work on the consumer’s end.

But it will also require cultivators of lower THC, higher-high weed to have demand high enough to keep them in business, and that’s far from guaranteed.

Adobewan

Science Reveals The Cannabis Industry’s Greatest Lie: You’re Buying Weed Wrong (And So Is Everyone Else)

There’s much more to cannabis than THC—for solid proof, look no further than the CBD boom—but when it comes to moving product on the legal recreational market, only two numbers matter: the list price, and the THC content.

Super-potent cannabis flower, with THC percentages of 25 percent and up, dominate dispensary shelves. High-THC cannabis will sell out very quickly while lower-percentage weed gathers dust.

When cannabis tests at more than 25 percent THC, dispensaries can justify charging $75 or more for a store-bought eighth—because there’s a very good chance people will pay it, confident that they’re taking home the best and most potent weed available. If the weed’s in the teens, well, it had better be cheap.

------------
“It’s a shame,” said Neil Dellacava, the co-founder of Gold Seal, a San Francisco-based cannabis brand that specializes in high-end flower. “I find stuff that’s absolutely amazing that I have to throw in the trash because it tests at 18 or 19 percent.”

At that level, despite “an amazing terpene profile, the best smoke I’ve ever had” simply will not sell, he said.

“People just don’t understand,” he added. “When people go shopping, they look for two things: they’re looking for price, and they’re looking for THC percentage.”

The THC fallacy persists despite everyone’s best efforts. Both Instagram influencers as well as cannabis entrepreneurs and advocates have tried to explain that the THC number is, at best, a rough estimate (and a number that, depending on the lab that came up with it, might be inflated or suspect).

With this much momentum, it’s unlikely science will change anything. It will take a long time for buyers to adjust their habits and realize THC content isn’t like alcohol by volume on a beer label after all. Until they do, connoisseurs can take advantage of the market inefficiency, and take home superior pot with lower THC levels at a reduced price. It will just require a little more work on the consumer’s end.

But it will also require cultivators of lower THC, higher-high weed to have demand high enough to keep them in business, and that’s far from guaranteed.
Good to know, but wish the article went further and offered ways, short of sampling, to gauge quality.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

------------

So, they are saying that the better herb costs less? How is that bad or wrong again?
Methinks that they should shut the fuckup, so we can keep getting the good shit at the lower price. Leave it to the tourists to get the overpriced shit that just makes them paranoid.

Top Bottom