Cannabis News

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Holy cow the amount of misinformation I see daily on THC percentages is incredible! Even from alleged “scientists.”

IMO the biggest culprit that many people don’t understand here, especially reading these articles, is that THC does NOT “get stronger” when concentrated. THC percentage is simply a measurement based on a samples weight, this idea that 70% THC is way stronger or more potent than 15% THC is a total fallacy. The higher THC percentages in extracts is only due to the removal of exogenous, unvaporizable plant material, it has absolutely nothing to do with perceived potency, it simply means there are more cannabinoids and less cellulose filler per gram. A lot of sources make concentrates and extracts out to be some kind of "super weed" but it's just not the case. Again, THC does not undergo any type of chemical reaction and increase in potency, inflated THC numbers only come from the removal of inactive green plant stuff - at no point does THC actually become stronger.

Now it is possible to vape much more THC/cannabinoids at once from dabbing than other vaporization methods, and that's where people are largely seeing the perceived potency difference between high thc extracts and other inhalation methods. However, some dry herb vapes on the market these days are very rapid extractors and the lines are becoming more blurred. I’ve said this many times on FC: all vaporized herb is concentrated - that's why we have AVB. If you read the vaporizer studies you will see the THC percentage of the actual aerosol/ cannabis vapor is just as high, if not higher than store bought concentrates. Dry herb vaping is an oil extraction after all.

The red bar below is the results of vaporizing flower with only 4.61% THC, but you'll note the THC percentage in the actual vapor for some devices surpassed 80% THC!

file

In Vitro Validation Of Vaporizers

IMO THC % is actually useful for buying flower as it denotes resinous material. Important if you cannot see/touch/smell anything. With concentrates I like to look for the lower THC% as it denotes a more full spectrum extract. What people don’t realize is that high THC percentages means less of everything else. I see this all the time where someone buys dabs at 90% THC and they don’t even get high off it as it’s such a narrow cannabinoid spectrum, and pure THC really isn’t very stoney for those that have sampled it by itself. Many of the strongest/best extracts I've had only had THC in the 50-60% range.

Edited for additional information/graphs

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
In a retail enviornment where we don't/can't get a chance to smell, taste, or even look closely at product before buying it, there are no other numbers, objective or otherwise, on which to asses what we are buying. Other states give you more access to the product before buying, but not here, at least not yet. Whatever details are on the "menu" are all we can make our assessment on, and that is at best the name given the product and it's THC and maybe CBD content. At least on the black market I can see and smell it before committing, but not so at retail here. I hope this changes.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
In a retail enviornment where we don't/can't get a chance to smell, taste, or even look closely at product before buying it, there are no other numbers, objective or otherwise, on which to asses what we are buying. Other states give you more access to the product before buying, but not here, at least not yet. Whatever details are on the "menu" are all we can make our assessment on, and that is at best the name given the product and it's THC and maybe CBD content. At least on the black market I can see and smell it before committing, but not so at retail here. I hope this changes.

Most of the grey market guys I know will even let you take a toke of it before you buy! :sherlock:

We lost the ability to check out the herb when CA went Recreational due to child proof packaging requirements. I find the "Packaged On" date to be one of the most important numbers, especially for flower. Nothing like spending top shelf prices for last years harvest! :rolleyes: You friends with newer canna programs probably don't have this problem (yet) IMO it needs to be like produce where prices should drop as material gets older to encourage sell-thru.

Gunky

Eventually there will be recognized strain/brand names and automated production methods that keep quality consistent. Like buying Jack Daniels - you know what you are getting. Prior to federal legalization they will, sadly, have to be brands available only inside of a single state.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Eventually there will be recognized strain/brand names and automated production methods that keep quality consistent. Like buying Jack Daniels - you know what you are getting. Prior to federal legalization they will, sadly, have to be brands available only inside of a single state.
Right, I hope this fist part is true. We have a few major brand players here like Cresco and Rythm, and I would expect consistency at least within a "brand". But until we know them at least it is gonna be a pig in a poke...

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

I just don’t know how BigAg could get cannabis quality consistent when I can’t even get a consistent quality tomato? if you look at cannabis analytical testing they are getting wildly different cannabinoid profiles from the same clone grown in different greenhouses. Jack Daniels is distilled, distilled cannabis is also easier to keep consistent but it’s also kind of mediocre because of the distillation IMO.

Tranquility

I just don’t know how BigAg could get cannabis quality consistent when I can’t even get a consistent quality tomato? if you look at cannabis analytical testing they are getting wildly different cannabinoid profiles from the same clone grown in different greenhouses. Jack Daniels is distilled, distilled cannabis is also easier to keep consistent but it’s also kind of mediocre because of the distillation IMO.
They do get a consistent quality tomato. It's just that the sweet good-tasting tomato doesn't ship well and people would rather buy a large good looking tomato rather than a smaller, misshapen good tasting one. By selecting for those qualities, we lost a gene sequence in most of the fruit sold.
The tomato pan-genome uncovers new genes and a rare allele regulating fruit flavor
Scientists discover why grocery store tomatoes don’t taste like anything

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
They do get a consistent quality tomato. It's just that the sweet good-tasting tomato doesn't ship well and people would rather buy a large good looking tomato rather than a smaller, misshapen good tasting one. By selecting for those qualities, we lost a gene sequence in most of the fruit sold.
The tomato pan-genome uncovers new genes and a rare allele regulating fruit flavor
Scientists discover why grocery store tomatoes don’t taste like anything

Yeah they say similar about wild strawberries which are also fantastic. But IMO the issue is that nothing in the grocery store is properly ripened on the plant. None of the great tomatoes I get from the farmers market are picked from wild tomato plants; they are simply cultivated with care and picked properly during their growing period. IMO this is the equivalent of buying ganja from a small batch processor. It’s easier to grow tons of weed than it is to store it properly which is why big canna brands continue to struggle with making a lasting impression.

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
How is a cannabis pill made? Its journey from seed to capsule

In the legal cannabis industry, getting a processed cannabis product can be just as mysterious as buying meat at the grocery store—conveniently packaged and unrecognizable from its original form. And while I appreciate a shroud of mystery around how pigs become sausage, when it comes to cannabis products, I’d actually really like to know how that sausage was made.

Gunky

How is a cannabis pill made? Its journey from seed to capsule

In the legal cannabis industry, getting a processed cannabis product can be just as mysterious as buying meat at the grocery store—conveniently packaged and unrecognizable from its original form. And while I appreciate a shroud of mystery around how pigs become sausage, when it comes to cannabis products, I’d actually really like to know how that sausage was made.
That story had a happy ending but a lot of these things are mystery meat.

Gunky

....Zelinsky will be joined by John Elias, an official in the Justice Department’s Antitrust Division, who will say that Barr ordered staff to investigate marijuana company mergers simply because he “did not like the nature of their underlying business,” according to his prepared testimony.

As a result, the antitrust division launched 10 reviews of mergers in the marijuana industry, according to Elias’s prepared remarks, and was ordered to probe a deal between major U.S. automakers and the state of California after Trump tweeted about it disparagingly. Months later, when the matter seemed near a close, political leaders ordered a subsequent investigation after California announced it would purchase vehicles only from automakers that complied with fuel efficiency standards, Elias’s prepared testimony says.
Attorney General William Barr has (shamefully) been using the Justice Department as a political weapon to protect those he (and/or Trump) likes and attack those he doesn't like. Among those he doesn't like are cannabis businesses. If you are interested in relaxation of U.S. federal cannabis laws (and maybe also if you think the U.S. Attorney General should enforce justice without fear or favor and not be a bagman for the president), it would be well not to vote for republicans.

Last edited:

Gunky

They sell a lot of cigarette papers. Do they think all those are for tobacco? I just can't understand how they told the tenants no problem, then suddenly threw them out. There's a sort of 'terminated with prejudice' quality about it. We're not just going to get you to go somewhere else but we're going to fuck you over and make it hard for you to transition smoothly to a new place. :mad:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Why don’t some people get high the first time they smoke weed?
One of the most prominent theories states that for people to experience weed properly, they must first learn how to do it correctly. People need to be exposed to the drug repeatedly until their body understands what it’s supposed to feel. Experts call this a “sensitization period,” when THC interacts with the cannabinoids in your system a few times to activate them and to produce that high feeling.

I tried to get off on cannabis off and on for 9 months (not religiously) before I saaaaw theeeee lightttttttt!! I literally thought people were convincing themselves they were stoned. A psychosomatic response. I was 14-15. You couldn't tell me anything.

Last edited:

Tranquility

Attorney General William Barr has (shamefully) been using the Justice Department as a political weapon to protect those he (and/or Trump) likes and attack those he doesn't like. Among those he doesn't like are cannabis businesses. If you are interested in relaxation of U.S. federal cannabis laws (and maybe also if you think the U.S. Attorney General should enforce justice without fear or favor and not be a bagman for the president), it would be well not to vote for republicans.

Here a bit more detail on the issue. Unlike Sessions who hated pot far more, Barr is competent.

Cannabis, Competition, and a Constitutional Crisis

I disagree Barr is a bagman for the president and foolishness such as that seems nothing more than battlespace preparation for the indictments that will come from Durham before too long. But, the behavior discussed is troubling and we all need to watch to see if it amounts to anything. I don't think Barr was put in as AG to stomp out pot.

That does not mean he doesn't intend to do some stomping since he's already there.

Tranquility,

Gunky

Holy cow the amount of misinformation I see daily on THC percentages is incredible! Even from alleged “scientists.”

IMO the biggest culprit that many people don’t understand here, especially reading these articles, is that THC does NOT “get stronger” when concentrated. THC percentage is simply a measurement based on a samples weight, this idea that 70% THC is way stronger or more potent than 15% THC is a total fallacy. The higher THC percentages in extracts is only due to the removal of exogenous, unvaporizable plant material, it has absolutely nothing to do with perceived potency, it simply means there are more cannabinoids and less cellulose filler per gram. A lot of sources make concentrates and extracts out to be some kind of "super weed" but it's just not the case. Again, THC does not undergo any type of chemical reaction and increase in potency, inflated THC numbers only come from the removal of inactive green plant stuff - at no point does THC actually become stronger.

-snip-
Congratulations, you just proved bourbon is not stronger than beer. Alcohol is alcohol, right? You should get an award, like the scientist who proved bees can't fly.

In the field of pharmacology, potency is a measure of drug activity expressed in terms of the amount required to produce an effect of given intensity.

Last edited:
Gunky,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
What Happens When Your Brain’s Marijuana System Fails?

If you are reading this blog you are likely aware that your brain possesses its own family of marijuana-like molecules. Science has not yet determined the role of these molecules in normal brain function. They clearly influence feeding behaviors and mood. One way to determine what else this endogenous marijuana system is doing is to investigate what happens when it appears to fail. Clinical studies have reported that your endogenous cannabis system has an important role in the function of a brain region called the basal ganglia. The basal ganglia region has many diverse functions that are often related to movement.

C No Ego

when a political name to describe a method of Assault ( marijuana) gets turned into a body system ??? there are no marijuana compounds or even a plant species with that name ... I'd guess right from the start of that article they do not know what the Fuck they are talking about... the very words used to describe what they are doing is Wrong

Adobewan

when a political name to describe a method of Assault ( marijuana) gets turned into a body system ??? there are no marijuana compounds or even a plant species with that name ... I'd guess right from the start of that article they do not know what the Fuck they are talking about... the very words used to describe what they are doing is Wrong
I applaud your fight against misinformation and propaganda, but it's possible the author may have been writing to the layman, using terms easily understood to draw in the reader, then moving into the clinical vernacular. Even though it was originated to demonize our beloved plant, most understand the word "marijuana" without the baggage. If the article started with "your brain possesses its own endocannabinoid system", some may have passed on it.
Just speculation on my part, but I'm at your side in the fight against BS!

C No Ego

I applaud your fight against misinformation and propaganda, but it's possible the author may have been writing to the layman, using terms easily understood to draw in the reader, then moving into the clinical vernacular. Even though it was originated to demonize our beloved plant, most understand the word "marijuana" without the baggage. If the article started with "your brain possesses its own endocannabinoid system", some may have passed on it.
Just speculation on my part, but I'm at your side in the fight against BS!

marijuana is an tactical assault word and that is it. the word was made to describe cannabis smoke in a body ( man) and shoot at will at that man ETC....
until science catches up to propaganda we will be in this murky unknown situation trying to trust the same political force that shoots at you as well ( at will) with whatever science is brought up .
ask them what exact plant species marijuana is in or which plant family and watch all the confused faces . sticking with the same lie to describe it now just creates more confusion over time...
we sure ain't exploring marijuananoids or endomarijuananoid system LOL

florduh

Can Legalizing Recreational Marijuana Lessen The Blow Of Pa.’s $3.2B Deficit? Lt. Gov. John Fetterman Says ‘The Time Is Now’

Every State should be rapidly moving towards full legislation, right now. Not only would it help lessen the impacts of our current economic crisis. It also might help keep people at home.

“They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do just as well — you just realize that it's not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference.”

― Bill Hicks

Last edited:
Top Bottom