Camouflet Convector

Camouflet

Manufacturer
I finally got the BOGO in the mail today. Had to pay like $56 in duties in Canadian funds. If you're reading this Camouflet, the package had the total value per unit as $89 x2. So I paid duty on double the price I paid... just thought I'd let you know so that in future, make sure the price paid is on the package, not retail MSRP of each unit.
We see and hear you, thanks for your feedback and notifying us about your situation. This has been a frustrating element of shipping logistics that we are currently working through and improving on. As mentioned, some customers aren't receiving any import fees and some are. Also, some countries require the full retail value of the item(s) declared vs. only the price paid for the order. We're navigating this as best as we can and learning more as we grow. It is difficult to have the website setup and configured perfectly to accommodate for all the shipping variables. We're not making excuses but sharing insight into the challenges of operating a small business. We will follow up with you via PM.

johnnyCanuck

My guess is not all packages get inspected/processed by customs authorities, hence the inconsistencies in fees. :spliff:
It really depends on where it enters through the border. I find if it crosses the border via Westcoast, you have a better chance of not being dinged vs going through Ontario.

We see and hear you, thanks for your feedback and notifying us about your situation. This has been a frustrating element of shipping logistics that we are currently working through and improving on. As mentioned, some customers aren't receiving any import fees and some are. Also, some countries require the full retail value of the item(s) declared vs. only the price paid for the order. We're navigating this as best as we can and learning more as we grow. It is difficult to have the website setup and configured perfectly to accommodate for all the shipping variables. We're not making excuses but sharing insight into the challenges of operating a small business. We will follow up with you via PM.
Thank you for reaching out and making every effort to rectify the situation!!
I just wanted you to know for future packages sent to Canada. It was an honest mistake and wasn't going to break my bank, so I wasn't expecting anything back. To be honest, I'm more annoyed that it didn't slip through customs without duty being charged.

Your customer service is spot on!

floribud

Got my 2 Convectors for 420. Lost one of the caps on the second day, Watch out they don't seem to fit as tightly as Dynavap caps. I've had over 10 Dynvaps over 5 years and never lost a cap. Maybe it's just bad luck, but be careful with these.

Anyway I've got several IHs, it's really difficult to get this thing "dialed in" with an IH. I'm now only using it with my YLLvape IH since that has a somewhat effective temperature readout. Ive combusted over and over with my Brute from Pipes, which is my favorite when using Dynavap, but I've also combusted a few times in the YLLvape IH. Taste is definitely very good when you heat it to the right temp AND the low draw resistance is very nice, much "free-er" feeling than a Dynavap. But this thing really needs a shallow bowl IH to hit right. I still kind of need to see the tip to know when to stop, and the Brute is just too deep to see what's going on.

Also, with that single bore tube, the vapor is going to be HOT. The quad bore is OK but nothing beats my JoeKing Assassin stem with a Simrell Stinger. With a really nice cooling stem, this is a fantastic vapor experience, when you get it dialed in.

johnnyCanuck

I’m currently pairing it with an original Orion v.1

Works really well. I use the Orion like how I would light a cigar. Start “puff inhaling” at around 3 seconds. With each short inhale, you’ll feel the hot air and will give you an idea when it’s to temp.

I’ll also oscillate the Orion after the initial 3-4 seconds. Put the Camouflet for 1.5 seconds, take out for 1.5 seconds and repeat u til desired temp is reached.

Not sure if what I’m writing makes sense. I suck at written expression. 🤷‍♂️

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Haven't combusted over here yet with the Wand. Slightly scorched pulls happen but it's rare.

I gotta say the honeymoon period hasn't faded for me with this one. Very pleasantly surprised. The open draw and the flavor make it significantly different from my dynavaps. Also like not waiting for a click 🙂

coolbreeze

Haven't combusted over here yet with the Wand. Slightly scorched pulls happen but it's rare.

I gotta say the honeymoon period hasn't faded for me with this one. Very pleasantly surprised. The open draw and the flavor make it significantly different from my dynavaps. Also like not waiting for a click 🙂
I tried the wand a couple times, but I couldn't help making the Convector a conductor, so I'm pure torch until the heater comes. I haven't combusted, and it really didn't take long to get pretty handy with it. I agree about the honeymoon: I didn't so much fall in love with it, it's more like it just fit right in so seamlessly it's like it's always been there. I pick it up often for a quick conduction flavor blast or a nice, relaxed mini-session. It's a great little vape, for sure.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I tried the wand a couple times, but I couldn't help making the Convector a conductor, so I'm pure torch until the heater comes. I haven't combusted, and it really didn't take long to get pretty handy with it. I agree about the honeymoon: I didn't so much fall in love with it, it's more like it just fit right in so seamlessly it's like it's always been there. I pick it up often for a quick conduction flavor blast or a nice, relaxed mini-session. It's a great little vape, for sure.
I fully admit that it's a fiddly thing to heat it freehand with a Wand. You have to have steady hands to hold it right at the point where the induction heating gets triggered (yellow pulsing on the Wand) and no further so as to just heat the very tip of the cap. I should really just figure out a spacer so I can heat it hands free. That's my *only* (edit, I want a digger tool on the cap too 😛) minor complaint with the Camouflet, otherwise job well done!

I'm guessing the Inductor they're releasing functions the way it does (using a targeted point for the induction as opposed to passing through a coil) because it makes it that much easier to just heat the tip of the Camouflet.

coolbreeze

I fully admit that it's a fiddly thing to heat it freehand with a Wand. You have to have steady hands to hold it right at the point where the induction heating gets triggered (yellow pulsing on the Wand) and no further so as to just heat the very tip of the cap. I should really just figure out a spacer so I can heat it hands free. That's my *only* (edit, I want a digger tool on the cap too 😛) minor complaint with the Camouflet, otherwise job well done!

I'm guessing the Inductor they're releasing functions the way it does (using a targeted point for the induction as opposed to passing through a coil) because it makes it that much easier to just heat the tip of the Camouflet.
That was my guess too. If i understand correctly, those who do want a little conduction can sorta move it down the cap a bit like a torch. It'll be fun so see how precise heating with the Inductor results for the various vapes suitable for it. People are gonna be precision-dialing their Dynas and Danis for optimal terp-release, just-this-side-of-the-line lungbusters, etc! ; )

Btw, this vape has a theme song:

"It left a smoking crater of my mind..."
--Bob Weir

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
That was my guess too. If i understand correctly, those who do want a little conduction can sorta move it down the cap a bit like a torch. It'll be fun so see how precise heating with the Inductor results for the various vapes suitable for it. People are gonna be precision-dialing their Dynas and Danis for optimal terp-release, just-this-side-of-the-line lungbusters, etc! ; )

Btw, this vape has a theme song:

"It left a smoking crater of my mind..."
--Bob Weir
😆I can't say why (maybe your choice of avatar?) but it wouldn't surprise me if you're a Deadhead?

(sorry, I know there's an inductor thread but just responding here for context)

Now about the Inductor, I totally agree! I'm really excited about it to the point that I've almost signed up for the beta about 15 times now 🤪. I think it'll change a lot in the IH world and I know I'll eventually own one. Just trying to keep my VAS under control.

coolbreeze

😆I can't say why (maybe your choice of avatar?) but it wouldn't surprise me if you're a Deadhead?
GIF by Steve Konklin

Dead for life!
(sorry, I know there's an inductor thread but just responding here for context)

Now about the Inductor, I totally agree! I'm really excited about it to the point that I've almost signed up for the beta about 15 times now 🤪. I think it'll change a lot in the IH world and I know I'll eventually own one. Just trying to keep my VAS under control.

Lol, I hear that! Took me awhile but I finally went for it. I think you're right about its potential impact. If it works well for everything, people with multiple torch pen vapes are gonna be set.

DocNicksche

I had the opportunity to grab a convector Tip and Cap and thanks to all of the nice encouraging replies I got here, I just had to get it :D ...thx to @oddjobold, btw 👍
Haven't spent much time with it yet and I combusted once, but all in all, I have to say that I can see me liking that little fella :tup:
I'm far from getting consistantly good and tasty hits, but the couple I was able to achieve, were surprisingly tasty!
I think I'm a bit too "conservative" in torching it and sometimes get very whispy hits from it, but with a little practice and muscle memory built up, this thing will definitely make it into my rotation!
Quick und darn tasty :nod:

jardri

Vapor Dreams
I have a convector since yesterday and probably I am not doing things right but my impression is that this should still be an alpha and not a released product.

Build quality is sorta good but assembling the body does not feel right (why is it so difficult to place the condenser?) And it is ugly as hell

Performance wise this is absurdly inconsistent!. I might be biased, have been using the Anvil lately and have come accostumed to it. But all i could think yesterday was that this thing needs a lot more cooking in the design and testing phase.

One of every 10 hits is a great hit but you need to be lucky or you need to be sober in order to get consistent hits from this thing. A mere 0,2 seconds in heating time delay can make the flavour go away. If I try to make back 2 back hits i cant get heating right and using it with a bong is almost impossible. By the time i have placed it in the bong the heat is already gone!.

I can perceive that there is a good idea behind all this hussle but this thing needs to improve so many things i can´t believe they sell a product so amateurish!

As i see, the heater design should work wonderfully in a regulated, temp controlled 510 unit because it needs to hit and to mantain the right temperature.

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
I have a convector since yesterday and probably I am not doing things right but my impression is that this should still be an alpha and not a released product.

Build quality is sorta good but assembling the body does not feel right (why is it so difficult to place the condenser?) And it is ugly as hell

Performance wise this is absurdly inconsistent!. I might be biased, have been using the Anvil lately and have come accostumed to it. But all i could think yesterday was that this thing needs a lot more cooking in the design and testing phase.

One of every 10 hits is a great hit but you need to be lucky or you need to be sober in order to get consistent hits from this thing. A mere 0,2 seconds in heating time delay can make the flavour go away. If I try to make back 2 back hits i cant get heating right and using it with a bong is almost impossible. By the time i have placed it in the bong the heat is already gone!.

I can perceive that there is a good idea behind all this hussle but this thing needs to improve so many things i can´t believe they sell a product so amateurish!

As i see, the heater design should work wonderfully in a regulated, temp controlled 510 unit because it needs to hit and to mantain the right temperature.

Yea, the condenser and o rings make putting it together unnecessarily difficult. The condenser needs some indents for the o rings or something hopefully they are working on improving that. I'll be interested in seeing how you feel in a few days, maybe you will get the heating down and feel different maybe not idk.

coolbreeze

Have you tried glancing the flame off the cap and counting? Glance the flame across the top of the cap while rotating for about 7 seconds, stop immediately if you see the flame turn to orange. There are other heating tips a ways back including glancing it off the cap aimed up the side of it toward the top for 4 secs and then across the top for 3 secs.

This vape's not functionally unfinished, it's just completely manual. It won't take long to get the hang of it.

floribud

I agree about the build quality. This is not Dynavap quality. It's not made "in house". Pretty sure the U.S. company just sends their 3D model files to China for "printing". Anyway they way the condenser doesn't have grooves for the O-rings, and certain roughness about it make me appreciate the refinement of the Dynavap.

And yes I still can perfectly control it. And yes I lost one of my two caps since the caps doesn't seem fit as securely as a Dynavap (the cap doesnt' go as "deep" over the bowl and it has extra mass at the tip that make it easier to accidentally knock off).

But having said that, when you get it heated in the right temp it provides a very tasty experience. I hope they continue to refine the design.

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see
Pretty sure the U.S. company just sends their 3D model files to China for "printing".
What's brought you to this conclusion? I recently found out that iPhones are designed in the US and manufactured in China, too. Perhaps they could be improved of built 'in house' by Americans as well.

coolbreeze

I agree about the build quality. This is not Dynavap quality. It's not made "in house". Pretty sure the U.S. company just sends their 3D model files to China for "printing". Anyway they way the condenser doesn't have grooves for the O-rings, and certain roughness about it make me appreciate the refinement of the Dynavap.

And yes I still can perfectly control it. And yes I lost one of my two caps since the caps doesn't seem fit as securely as a Dynavap (the cap doesnt' go as "deep" over the bowl and it has extra mass at the tip that make it easier to accidentally knock off).

But having said that, when you get it heated in the right temp it provides a very tasty experience. I hope they continue to refine the design.
It looks and feels a little "preliminary," the orings are ridiculous, and I have dropped the cap and load a couple times from trying not to jam it. But I would separate that from the function, which to me seems surprisingly good once you get comfortable with it. It's a nice ritual vape, like the DVs or VMs or Roasties, and I think I'm even a little bit charmed by the fact that the function seems ready for market even if the look/feel seems unrefined. Wouldn't mind some refinement, but I do like the way it works.

kokolokokolokon

Some similar thoughts around here. The condenser is hard af to introduce in the stem. I hope i won’t need to take the condenser off never 🤣 .
I have to add the tip would be better with something to dispel the heat, since it is a good device to make multiple heatings. The cap gets cold very fast, and that’s nice, but the tip dispel all the heat to the stem, so half stem gets very hot. This wouldn’t be a problem if it is titanium and have a longer size. But it is a short device and made of SS.

It is a relative hard to tame device if you want big hits, but it can be meek if you want some light tasty hits. When you get a big hit it is great and flavorful, but you need a lot of technic to replicate it several times (and no to be super high xddd).
About ih’s: i think the convector works better with an aggresive ih like the wdlx (orion knock off) introducing just the top of the cap to get a fast convection hit. It works with the wand but i feel it is too slow for what the device can offer to you (back to back fast heating hits).

The convector needs a easier stem assembly, stem/tip dissipation and more homogeneous results, but still being a good little device with a very interesting “heater” wich gives good clouds and good flavor from convection in a simple way.

I agree about the build quality. This is not Dynavap quality. It's not made "in house". Pretty sure the U.S. company just sends their 3D model files to China for "printing".

Irrelevant. It is clear the vape needs to be more refined, but being made in china doesn’t make a product have a bad quality and being make in the US doesn’t make the product have a good quality.
Actually i think the B tip from dynavap have a poor quality af, and the stem is cheap and ugly.

It is good not to associate where is made or if it is an artisan product with good product.

Objectivity

Cannabiker

Irrelevant. It is clear the vape needs to be more refined, but being made in china doesn’t make a product have a bad quality and being make in the US doesn’t make the product have a good quality.
Yes, that's true. However, manufacturing in the U.S. is more expensive than China, which is a big reason many companies choose to have their products made there. So, at a similar price point, we should expect higher quality from a Chinese product. Just look at the Revolve, which is machined to standards matching Dynavap's best efforts, with more complexity than a DV or Simrell, but it undercuts them dramatically on price.

So, if a company outsources their manufacturing to China, it's not unreasonable to expect they'll create a product which stands up against domestic offerings in terms of price and quality. If you hold the Convector up against the identically-priced M+, it doesn't pass that test.

Top Bottom