Camouflet Convector

leanpubpackage

Ran a number of bowls and have the bad boy dialed in now. You can get really big hits if you want to test your limit. Using a glass stem can give you some good feedback on how hot the cap is. You can adjust your inhale speed or even stop inhaling altogether if you feel like you're close to combusting. I think the cap holds the right amount of heat. It's definitely a one hit per torch cycle device, and I think that's a big part of its charm. I love how on demand it is and I have to reiterate how close of a signature it is to the Mi3 - it's uncanny. Really enjoying it.

As others have mentioned, the stock screen clogs really badly. Swap it out with a 3/8 SS mesh.

DocNicksche

Hi there 🙂✌️

I'm not sure If I fully understand the convector 🤔 ... I read most of the posts here and watched a couple of videos...
Is there no "indicator" you reached vaping temperature range at all?
What's the principle of Heat Retention in the Cap? Is it Kind of filled with Something?

I'm not sure if I could get good and reproducible results with it...specially if it does it's job as well as I think it does 😉

How's everyones experience with that "issue"? Do you use a timer or something like that?

I have to say I really like the simple design and how you describe the experience...just not sure if I would like it longterm. At least if it's not somehow forgiving enough that my stoned self can manage to get a decent second Hit 😅

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Hi there 🙂✌️

I'm not sure If I fully understand the convector 🤔 ... I read most of the posts here and watched a couple of videos...
What's the principle of Heat Retention in the Cap? Is it Kind of filled with Something?

I'm not sure if I could get good and reproducible results with it...specially if it does it's job as well as I think it does 😉

How's everyones experience with that "issue"? Do you use a timer or something like that?

I have to say I really like the simple design and how you describe the experience...just not sure if I would like it longterm. At least if it's not somehow forgiving enough that my stoned self can manage to get a decent second Hit 😅
I use the flame color to judge the temp of the metal. As the metal heats it oxidizes and the flame changes from a blue to a red then orange then yellow color as more and more oxygen is introduced to the flame. That being said, I usually take it until it starts to shift into yellow territory

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
Im being sent a replacement stem thanks again. I have only used it with the wand so far and on the second heat up I get a crazy hit from it, the high seems intense. gotta test it more especially when he new ih arrives and with a torch. got my jobon torch recently that i havent used yet

seriousTone

Hi there 🙂✌️

You're going to have to start by keeping track in your head; you'll most likely combust a few times. But I combusted plenty of times in the beginning with the dynavap as well so indicater or not, it happens.

I personally don't keep track when heating anymore and it's just second nature I guess. Haven't combusted in a few weeks now. But the flavor when hitting can help determine whether you can go for another round or not.

Depends how far you take your avb too, I go dark brown.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

:wave:
Some watch for the flame's color to turn to orange but I find that a bit aggressive and liable to overdoing it. I count roughly 3 seconds with the flame glancing off the top edge and then another 3 seconds across the top for substantial flavor hits and an even roast throughout the bowl.
It's filled with very thin perforated SS plates that only retain the heat for the few seconds necessary. You aren't really trying to build much heat with this one. This works in part to cool the cap/tip very quickly, retaining flavors and other goodies. IHs undo this to some degree by heating more of the cap and tip and consequently creating some conduction rather than the more 'pure' convection you get through careful torching.
No problem, it just takes a little practice. It's like a Vapman: once you get a sense of the timings and how to play with them, it becomes intuitive to operate.
Timer should help, but I just count to myself. It's really no trouble at all.
It's a lot easier than it sounds! Also, it's a nice little counterpoint to your DV if you're into those. A Futo G2, the Convector and a VonG would make a very simple but well-rounded kit.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Got my convector today 🙂

Cleaned it and stuck it on a BB9. Only had one bowl but it was a success. Tasty and I didn't combust.

I used the Wand and made sure to only push the tip in just enough to activate it (That's what *she* said! ... I know... shameless but I had to 😝)

At first I tried counting to around 15 flashes which had been suggested here and that worked just fine for the initial heat-up, but I hate focusing on something like counting to dial in a nice hit.

So... I decided to try a technique I use with my IH modded vaponic, since it also has no clicking cap or timing mechanism. I puff on it while inhaling to get a sense of the heat and the vapor being produced. Not only is it tasty but it works really well I think. I generally back off when I feel the vapor *just* starting to build in intensity.

A caveat here, sometimes puffing while heating can actually promote combustion. The key is not to pull too hard.

For example, I sometimes combusted even with regular DV caps because the inhaling action would cool down the cap while simultaneously heating the flower and by the time the cap clicked the flower had already combusted.

But if you get the puffing just right and get a good sense of the vapor being produced, it's a great way to know when to stop heating. As the Camouflet is almost entirely convection if heated correctly, you can always just stop inhaling for a bit if you feel the flower getting scorched.

Overall first impression, I feel it'll supplant my dynavap tips 😮. I love the open draw in a DV style vape.

Last edited:

leanpubpackage

Braved heating the chamber area in addition to the tip of the cap for conduction support and after a few combustions, I was able to nail down the timing for lung busting rips. Less flavorful and much more roasty than heating just the tip but man can you get huge hits in under a 10 second heat up

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
Braved heating the chamber area in addition to the tip of the cap for conduction support and after a few combustions, I was able to nail down the timing for lung busting rips. Less flavorful and much more roasty than heating just the tip but man can you get huge hits in under a 10 second heat up
Yea I’ve been tryin to find time to play around and do the same with my vhb, it’s def like walking in a tight rope.

Just realized I never made a review I need to do so on here and Reddit I really love this lil thing

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
So I think I've finally tamed the Camouflet. I was experimenting with it for a while and went through a few scorched loads but never any total combustion.

Aside from the convection taste signature in a dynavap format which I love, I think the other features I really like about it are the open draw and the ability to heat the tip whenever you feel like - no clicking to wait for.

I'm getting tasty hits and nice golden brown abv. I don't stir but instead after a couple of hits I'll shake the tip or gently tap it against a hard surface to "stir" the load. Seems to work. A stirring or digging tool as part of the cap that was proposed earlier in the thread would be a nice addition.

Right now the tip has found a nice home on the stem of my Omni XL since I'm using the Omni tip on a BB9. I really like the pairing as the Omni stem and cooling dissipates the heat really well.

Cannabiker

@Camouflet--Is there any chance we'll see a future version of the Inductor that's just a heater and a smaller power unit? I don't roll any longer, so I have no need for a large, flat surface to dump weed out. I scoop it straight from the grinder or stash, and I suspect many vapers are the same. I'd love to see something that takes less real estate. Still, I'm beyond stoked to see an IH that can blast an Anvil as well as a DV, so I may get in on the Beta anyway, because VAS.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
@Camouflet--Is there any chance we'll see a future version of the Inductor that's just a heater and a smaller power unit? I don't roll any longer, so I have no need for a large, flat surface to dump weed out. I scoop it straight from the grinder or stash, and I suspect many vapers are the same. I'd love to see something that takes less real estate. Still, I'm beyond stoked to see an IH that can blast an Anvil as well as a DV, so I may get in on the Beta anyway, because VAS.
Agree for the same reasons. The tray is nice but not necessary for me. Guess they need the space anyway to house the guts of the unit. I'd like to see the technology put into a Wand-like format. Hopefully 2x 18650s would produce enough juice as it does for the Wand.

Cannabiker

Inductor related posts are better situated in the Inductor thread, helps us stay on top of the separate product discussions. @Cannabiker Short answer, the Inductor desktop/plugin version will remain a similar size due to the required power supply. We hope to offer a portable Inductor option one day, one step at a time.
Thank you! I thought that might be the case, given the size of my current IH power supply. If the Beta sign-up is still live Friday, I'll get in line. And sorry about the thread confusion--I just searched "camouflet", assuming there'd only be one thread.

johnnyCanuck

I finally got the BOGO in the mail today. Had to pay like $56 in duties in Canadian funds. If you're reading this Camouflet, the package had the total value per unit as $89 x2. So I paid duty on double the price I paid... just thought I'd let you know so that in future, make sure the price paid is on the package, not retail MSRP of each unit.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I finally got the BOGO in the mail today. Had to pay like $56 in duties in Canadian funds. If you're reading this Camouflet, the package had the total value per unit as $89 x2. So I paid duty on double the price I paid... just thought I'd let you know so that in future, make sure the price paid is on the package, not retail MSRP of each unit.
Oh man that sucks. I guess I was lucky as I had mine shipped to Canada too and it wasn't flagged for duty.

TigoleBitties,
Reactions: Madri-Gal
Top Bottom