Brilliant Cut Grinder

(newbie / first post, fwiw)

I have one of these I got last year, and I must have gotten lucky that I visited them when 2nd's were available -- got mine (aluminum) within about 2wks of ordering, with one extra plate. But I know I'm very much the exception, so I'm not stanning the BCG people.

Rather... I'm curious about their business model -- thinking that it's comprised of only one person, they're an utter perfectionist, etc., etc. Although skimming first / last pages of this thread, it appears that's not the case -- there's an actual staff of people that make these?

Pretty sure it's not a materials issue... the grades of AL / SS they use aren't exotic, correct? I know the grade of aluminum they use is considered pretty hard (Mohs); I'll guess it may be more difficult to machine.

Anyone that can spill tea on these folks? If it's within this 164pg thread (!), a page link would be appreciated :)

BTW... the one I have, I'm very happy with. Would buy it again.

Bakin4Life,
Reactions: cosimo

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
When the seconds show up on the site they are ready to ship, so it doesn't take them that long to get them out and to the customer. The delays come when they have to fabricate them. They apparently have many more orders then they can produce quickly. I don't know how long the aluminum ones take to ship after order but clearly the SS ones come out very slowly. Their high price reflects how much less common they are and how much longer they take to produce, I assume. It is clear there there are a lot of people willing to wait. @noobvaperct's frustration is not unique but the results he has been experiencing could have been easily predicted.

Early in my experience buying China Glass, it took a long time, sometimes measured in months, because they not only came by container rather than by air, but they sometimes didn't produce stock until they had some number of orders. When they changed to shipping by air, I imagine the number of orders they received increased dramatically after the wait time was reduced. I think part of what keeps the prices high on the stainless grinders is their scarcity. Clearly there are a lot more orders than product. Whether the price would be forced down if they became more available I don't know, but it is something they may consider in terms of their production speed. Clearly, the pent up demand works for them in some manner or I imagine they could find a way around it.

eyesofgrey

Ordered a polished stainless standard size grinder with medium and coarse plates on April 26th and have not seen a shipping notice yet.
Each time I’ve reached out they’ve said they had a big number of orders in April & are working through them ans quickly as possible. They also offered to cancel my order & refund my money both times I reached out.

eyesofgrey,
Reactions: Sidoney

Sidoney

Ordered a polished stainless standard size grinder with medium and coarse plates on April 26th and have not seen a shipping notice yet.
Each time I’ve reached out they’ve said they had a big number of orders in April & are working through them ans quickly as possible. They also offered to cancel my order & refund my money both times I reached out.
Same here but I'm gonna wait it out. I got impatient though and got an Aroma-3 while I was waiting and for me it's honestly a tiny bit better than the large aluminium brilliant cut I have and both are better than the herb ripper.

In saying that, the BCG has multiple plates which I love and the grind is perfect across all 3. It just gunks up every 5-10 ounces lol and the Aroma-3 is more enjoyable and easier to turn and is yep to look close to ever gunking up just due to the design.

Having so many high quality grinders probably helps with waiting!

I'm looking forward to owning both the aroma-3 and BCG in stainless!

Last edited:

Radwin Bodnic

(newbie / first post, fwiw)

I have one of these I got last year, and I must have gotten lucky that I visited them when 2nd's were available -- got mine (aluminum) within about 2wks of ordering, with one extra plate. But I know I'm very much the exception, so I'm not stanning the BCG people.

Rather... I'm curious about their business model -- thinking that it's comprised of only one person, they're an utter perfectionist, etc., etc. Although skimming first / last pages of this thread, it appears that's not the case -- there's an actual staff of people that make these?

Pretty sure it's not a materials issue... the grades of AL / SS they use aren't exotic, correct? I know the grade of aluminum they use is considered pretty hard (Mohs); I'll guess it may be more difficult to machine.

Anyone that can spill tea on these folks? If it's within this 164pg thread (!), a page link would be appreciated :)

BTW... the one I have, I'm very happy with. Would buy it again.
Both material grades are pretty common.
Al is a lot easier to machine than SS. It goes quicker and put less wear on the tools. Al is also easier and quicker to finish.
Machined parts price is directly related to machining time and tool wear.

I think that they are making BCGs in house and I bet their CNC have a small capacity. (And probably not fully automated). That's why it takes time to clear the back order list when it's getting long... of course factory seconds are always ready to ship because they are always listed as seconds when they are already produced.

It also possible that their CNC isn't stiff enough to work with stainless steel and that they are outsourcing the stainless steel units to another machining shop. Considering it would be outsourced in Canada and the small series they would order, the price point and production time is totally justified.

I've worked with a shop that outsourced machined Al parts (7075 T6, so harder than the 6000's series of the BCG) and had quotes for stainless steel parts (316L, again harder than the 304 of the BCG), both in Europe and in Taiwan and stainless steel parts never have meet the needed price point to be ever produced. (It was all larger series than what I think the BCG team is producing).

Both material grades are pretty common.
Al is a lot easier to machine than SS. It goes quicker and put less wear on the tools. Al is also easier and quicker to finish.
Machined parts price is directly related to machining time and tool wear.

I think that they are making BCGs in house and I bet their CNC have a small capacity. (And probably not fully automated). That's why it takes time to clear the back order list when it's getting long... of course factory seconds are always ready to ship because they are always listed as seconds when they are already produced.

It also possible that their CNC isn't stiff enough to work with stainless steel and that they are outsourcing the stainless steel units to another machining shop. Considering it would be outsourced in Canada and the small series they would order, the price point and production time is totally justified.

I've worked with a shop that outsourced machined Al parts (7075 T6, so harder than the 6000's series of the BCG) and had quotes for stainless steel parts (316L, again harder than the 304 of the BCG), both in Europe and in Taiwan and stainless steel parts never have meet the needed price point to be ever produced. (It was all larger series than what I think the BCG team is producing).
This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Appreciate the detail. 👍

eyesofgrey

Yep that was always one of the features about BCG way before they ever started using stainless steel, worth waiting for imo
Agree it’s worth waiting for (I have a matte stainless bcg) but 16 weeks and counting when they quoted 8 is a test of patience. Eager to get it for sure & I see why they decided to stop doing the polished version. The labor for polishing must be intense.

The_M

Agree it’s worth waiting for (I have a matte stainless bcg) but 16 weeks and counting when they quoted 8 is a test of patience. Eager to get it for sure & I see why they decided to stop doing the polished version. The labor for polishing must be intense.
Mate version get scratched easily as well

The_M,
Top Bottom