Best 18650 powered dry herb vape?

Zow237

I didn't mean to repost. Moderator please combine this with the last one. Didn't realize I was responding to the same thread I just responded to

Zow237,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
The major manufacturers have to protect themselves indeed. These unprotected cells are meant for the OEM market to be assembled into battery packs. A battery pack is N cells plus a BMS/PCM.

There are protected cells directly in 18650 format, the so-called "button top" ones, but they don't exist for the high discharge rate cells we are after, AFAIK (only for 10A max)

It's true that they don't want to be associated to e-cigs because of the catastrophic failure reports there has been in the past (with fires and second degree burns)

Zow237

@KeroZen so that being said what would be your thoughts on batteries and making sure they don't explode in our vaporizers?

Zow237,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Find the 18650 battery safety thread here and stick to the recommendations. And above all: only buy from legit sources, most reported problems so far were with fakes or B-grade cells.... for the rest it was mostly user error and/or faulty devices.

:tup:

Zow237

Is the maker of the Tubo gonna open up a storefront site anytime soon? It does look intriguing but I really don't want to have to pm someone to buy stuff.

Funky said the other day when his store comes up the prices will not be what they are now. So I'd get on it before it goes up with the store

Zow237,

sickmanfraud

I am hoping that I receive my Tubo Evic soon (mailed 12 + days ago). By now someone could have driven the Evic to me from Switzerland. Getting through Syria could be problematic. But...

It is my hope that the Evic will give me 18 mm hits without scorching or threat of combustion.

I was told by a very well known member that with an Evic a Zion would be an unnecessary purchase.

As soon as I receive my package I will be able to give better advice.

If you want a simple to use vape with a swappable 18650 battery you can look at the Vivant Alternate. They have redesigned a problem in the top cap and to "show it off" they are selling the Alternate $130 retail price and on sale 30% off.

The discount code is midweek30

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Does anyone here know why the warnings on here batteries say not to use them with vaporizers and ecigs units.. just to cover their own ass in case of some sort of failure or explosion with them? Like a cell phone company having something put forward so that if anything happened to us due to their devices or frequencies then they are not liable for anything and use at your own risk

My understanding is that is pretty much it. Kind of funny when you go to an ecig mod website. They saell the batteries need for the devices they sell, but have the same disclaimers. Seems to me they know how dangerous these batts can be in the hands of idiots, so are just covering their ass. If you didn't use the batts in the devices they sell, why would you ever buy the devices? And, they certainly want you to buy your batts from them (especially at what many charge!), right?

Simple10

Member, you member riiiight?
I don't get why so many members put any kind of importance on the timer length, as if they accepted having their sessions dictated by the machine...

If the timer is too short, you just need to re-engage it with a single button press. And if it's too long you can power off the vape at any time.

But over and over I read members being tied to their timers, like changing temperature only on timer boundaries, or having to extract everything before it times out etc... *You* are in control guys, don't let the machine dictate you anything, it's just a tool.

I have a Boundless CF that I used to switch on and off for on-demand but it would drain the battery much faster than normal. I figured a vape designed for on-demand use would be more efficient.

Last edited:
Simple10,
Reactions: KeroZen

Simple10

What is the problem with pming someone? If you ever decide to get anything from toasty top like a HI or any of his great accessories you'd have to email Alan.
I don't know about the firewood 4 but the fw3 came with small capsules that were a pain to use to me. If you are considering the milaana and the mistvape don't rule out the tubo. It is regulated unlike the other 2 and now, with the newest upgrade you can use it as a session or on demand vape. You control the temperature. I've had trouble using anything else since I got it. It compares more to the Zion than either the mistvape or milaana.

Because I wanna see all product descriptions, options, accessories, pricing, warranty info, return policies, payment & shipping options, etc. etc., all laid out in front of me before I decide to make the purchase. I wouldn't mind emailing Alan if I were interested in the HI, at least he has a site set up for all his products.

Simple10,

little maggie

OK. But by the time there is a store for the tubo the price will be much more. Have you looked at the experience of those who have one on the tubo thread? I think that a lot of people who've had other battery vapes are finding this one preferable.

Simple10

OK. But by the time there is a store for the tubo the price will be much more. Have you looked at the experience of those who have one on the tubo thread? I think that a lot of people who've had other battery vapes are finding this one preferable.

Well as of now the Tubo is 3rd on my VAS wish list behind the Milaana and UD :)

The smaller Mi is better suited for on-the-go and I do love the aspect of a learning curve in a vape. My current favorite and daily driver is the SBL Hydrobrick but when I first got it I charred the bowl quite a few times and even got it flooded once when I tipped over my wp with the whip connector. Once I got the technique down, the hits have seen so satisfying I no longer use my CF or even my Dynavap much anymore.

Last edited:

cannabis.pro

aka 420EDC
Accessory Maker
Well as of now the Tubo is 3rd on my VAS wish list behind the Milaana and UD :)

The smaller Mi is better suited for on-the-go and I do love the aspect of a learning curve in a vape.
When I had an opportunity to show off the Milaana to the person responsible for importing the 1st Volcano into the US (1998 IIRC), I said there is a little learning curve to the Milaana. His reply was "What learning curve?" as he exhaled a small cloud on his first pull.

bounce5

Why is the Firewood 4 not getting more love? I thought that was a popular model....

I have a Milaana and love the way it functions... but I have my eye out for an 18650 vape that is more portable (like the FW4 possibly) or another home vape that functions like the Milaana but doesn't use as much glue, especially in spots that heat up a lot (Clarification: I'm not arguing temps or safety here. I understand that it is supposed to be safe.... I'm just saying it make me uncomfortable. And I wonder if there are any risks sometimes. I'd rather not have to worry about that. It gets very hot in spots that have glue because it is right by the heater and literally centimeters away from where the vaporization is happening.) and are close to the airpath (which is the case with the Milaana. I'm not saying it is in the airpath, but on mine there is literally glue RIGHT next to the airpath on mine.).

Is the Tubo Evic or the Mist Vape Touch a better choice?

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Bringing back the medical epoxy operating well under its specifications again heh? :p

My turn to re-iterate: all beta testers were able to read the MSDS and we gave the green light.

But I agree, it would be even better if it just wasn't there.

cannabis.pro

aka 420EDC
Accessory Maker
Why is the Firewood 4 not getting more love? I thought that was a popular model....

I have a Milaana and love the way it functions... but I have my eye out for an 18650 vape that is more portable (like the FW4 possibly) or another home vape that functions like the Milaana but doesn't use as much glue, especially in spots that heat up a lot and are close to the airpath (which is the case with the Milaana).

The FW4 is a great device, very portable, perhaps the stealthiest vape out there w/o the cooling unit. Flavor wise it doesn't add up to a title for "best". Best stealth, yes.

The Milaana design has been modified to keep most of the medical grade epoxy away from the airpath. It isn't in a spot that "heats up a lot", as I can put my finger on the rim of the glass immediately after a session. The heater is at the base of the glass, the epoxy is at the opposite end connecting the glass to the wood. The air intake doesn't have epoxy in that area, and this area is where cool air enters if it were.

The FW4 is great for out and about, but if I want to hit the reset button in my brain, I'll reach for the Milaana when I get home.

Last edited:

bounce5

The FW4 is a great device, very portable, perhaps the stealthiest vape out there w/o the cooling unit. Flavor wise it doesn't add up to a title for "best". Best stealth, yes.

The Milaana design has been modified to keep most of the medical grade epoxy away from the airpath. It isn't in a spot that "heats up a lot", as I can put my finger on the rim of the glass immediately after a session. The heater is at the base of the glass, the epoxy is at the opposite end connecting the glass to the wood. The air intake doesn't have epoxy in that area, and this area is where cool air enters if it were.

The FW4 is great for out and about, but if I want to hit the reset button in my brain, I'll reach for the Milaana when I get home.

We've got a semantic misunderstanding because I wasn't talking about temp. By "heats up a lot" I mean heats up frequently. I would rather not have epoxy on areas that heat up frequently.

My air intake actually has spots where glue is in the airpath.... But that is beside the point of what I was asking. Does anyone know how do the FW4, Tubo Evic and MVT compare in terms of build quality and specifically epoxy use/placement or silicone/plastic parts on the device? Which would give the most peace of mind to someone who is paranoid of those types of materials...?

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Hard to say. At first I assumed my FW2.1 was "super safe" but then someone told me it was not isolated on the intake and there is glue inside. Don't know for the FW4 but you can't really open it to see...

I have the MVT and I think Dave got to great length to ensure everything inside is safe, but I can't be sure until I disassemble it (and it's so new I'm afraid of stripping the delicate screw tapers) He did use silver solder for the joints though, that's what I know.

But it's sure all three are wood+glass+steel+some wires+some electronic parts (mostly passive)+eventual glue. MVT and FW4 have more electronics than the Milaana, which is the most barebones circuit possible (equivalent to a mech-mod in the e-cig world)

Top Bottom