**Ball vape comparison megathread** Compare your balls.

Which ball vape do you prefer?

• Flowerpot B0

Votes: 47 18.9%
  • Flowerpot B1

Votes: 70 28.1%
  • Flowerpot B2

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Old Head freight train

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Pinky

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • Qaroma Ceroma \ Quartz

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Qaroma Taroma 2 \ XL

Votes: 29 11.6%
  • DC ELEV8R with Rubies.

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • Cloud connoisseur Halo \ Atlas

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • DDave Extraction Contraption

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Curious Gorilla

Sounds like something smells purple.
Hello all.

Wood bowls sounds really interesting. The insulating properties of the wood should reduce any conduction , pushing towards 100% convection.
That should change the flavour, plus maybe subtle flavours from wood oils.
Has anyone tried a Spanish Cedar Wood bowl? It smells fantastic when you work with it, think it might be used in incense.
Possibly sandalwood.
Or would Woods like that taste too strong?
Maybe they would add to effects of terpenes ? Be interesting to have a selection of different wood bowls with different effects, giving a slight terpene hit mixed with the herb.
Camphore is from wood, and is used in vics rub and similar, although i suspect that could be way too overpowering, but possibly ok after 'tempering' the bowl ?
Some woods do have medicinal properties.

Last edited:

SixStringToker

Naked member
Hello all.

Wood bowls sounds really interesting. The insulating properties of the wood should reduce any conduction , pushing towards 100% convection.
Has anyone tried a Spanish Cedar Wood bowl? It smells fantastic when you work with it, think it might be used in incense.
Possibly sandalwood.
Maybe they would add to effects of terpenes ? Be interesting to have a selection of different wood bowls with different effects, giving a slight terpene hit mixed with the herb.
Camphore is from wood, and is used in vics rub and similar, although i suspect that could be way too overpowering, but possibly ok after 'tempering' the bowl ?
I love the performance of the wood bowls, but I just can't use them; the oils kill my throat. It took me the longest time to chase that down to the bowls. I initially thought I just had some harsh weed. Cocobolo and Pau Ferro were the worst for me. Walnut *might* be OK, but I'm too paranoid now.

A luthier friend of mine won't even work with cocobolo anymore after he developed a sensitivity to it. He shared this URL with me, which is enough for me to stick with glass and metal:

I played around with a few different fillers this weekend. I really just wanted to do a crude/quick comparison between 2mm balls and 2.5mm roundcut gems, but my stoner brain got distracted by the multiple hexagon... and I had to do 4. This is just stoner testing... not even at the armchair engineering level. I was stoned (which you can probably tell from the silly effort I put into shaping those piles) and curious. :D

20230722_210428.png

All were 0.3g at 420°F from the same grind. I tried to maintain the same draw strength for each, which is basically throttled by the more restrictive 5-hole cap, but the gems were quite restrictive, so that was a markedly slower pull. Going clockwise from the top:

• 3.5mm balls. Wide open draw. Super terpy light roast - shit went straight to my upper sinises and left me with a runny nose and eyes!

• 2.4mm to 2.9mm faceted rondelle moissanite beads (allegedly). Pretty open draw. Tasty medium-light roast. I'm not convinced that these aren't just cz beads.

• 2mm ruby balls. Draw restriction is right on the edge of what I currently prefer and matches the 5-hole intake cap (by design). Super tasty. These are my go-to balls now.

• 2.5mm gemcut ruby stones. Tight draw restriction - actually tighter than the 5-hole intake cap. Tasty for the roast, but the restriction is just too tight in that head (an earlier Steamroller prototype).

I think the 2.5mm roundcut stones are more comparable to 1.25 or 1.5mm balls in terms of draw resistance and combined surface area in the ball chamber. The performance is probably a closer match, too. The Screwball probably gets around that tight draw by having a larger diameter and relatively shallow ball chamber, which will open the airflow back up.

Here's an amazon listing for roundcut corundum gems in case any one else wants to play with them:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBYHNGMK

Note that shipping is via slowboat; took about 4 weeks to reach Florida.

Last edited:

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
I'm also planning on getting a couple of wooden bowls. Do you notice a change in flavour? What kind of wood would you suggest, if any?

I don’t personally notice any flavors or other effects, but some salient advice from @SixStringToker above. For me the biggest benefit is the efficiency, I have cocobolo/padauk/walnut options. My ZX on the DFreez Z bowl runs all the way down in the 380’s, on the walnut bowl @404, heck even my F22 with the sleeve around the shovelhead I run @454. Whereas my Terp Hammer on standard glass runs @601.

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
Hello all.

Possibly sandalwood.

Do not use camphor for a wood bowl. I used it with some vapes in the past but there were some vapes I couldn’t even use it with because when it warmed the wood it would impart flavor from proximity because of how pungent it was. Tambootie is another that has pungent flavor like elderly women perfume.
The safest bet is if they frequently make tobacco pipes from it.
Briar burl is the best wood when it comes to being neutral and handling heat as a bowl.

Esquire

Her you go gang!:o Be ready to experience a signature, power, and smoothness unheard of in the vape space!:nod: I should have my first batch ready in 6 weeks. Here is a sneak peak. 21 units at launch... designed by me in northern Colorado and American made 10 miles from my house!!:clap:
Edit:
DAB function
Neither link worked for me :(

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I never liked wooden WPA/stems unless lined...how do you clean wooden bowls properly/thoroughly?
I find that wax is enough to clean every wood stem and bowl that I use:
I just slather it with wax (Ed's Butter works fine). Then after an hour I wipe off the wax and everything comes with it. Better than new.
Resin is fat soluble so the wax basically pulls it all off and it all wipes away.
It really could not be any easier.

Curious Gorilla

Do not use camphor for a wood bowl. I used it with some vapes in the past but there were some vapes I couldn’t even use it with because when it warmed the wood it would impart flavor from proximity because of how pungent it was. Tambootie is another that has pungent flavor like elderly women perfume.
The safest bet is if they frequently make tobacco pipes from it.
Briar burl is the best wood when it comes to being neutral and handling heat as a bowl.
Thankyou. Very sound advice.
People like yourself make the site what it is ! And save people like me from very sore throats and lungs.
Doesnt help stop me branding myself tho......Seems i have to do it at least once with any new device. I wear my blisters with pride. Thankfully, i have relatively few vapourisers.

Wide open draw. Super terpy light roast - shit went straight to my upper sinises and left me with a runny nose and eyes!
Seems spot on! I've also found that free flowing airflow through the injector head with little restriction is significantly harsher, 3mm vs 4mm vs 6mm balls in 3 different injector heads, plus 2 with NO balls (larger single, multiple and NO heat storage objects). NO BALLS, (sacrilege!). and harshest.
Good info. Cheers.

For me the biggest benefit is the efficiency,
I presume its the insulation the wood gives, reducing heatloss, that makes it more efficient?
They are some beautiful bowls, nice picture.

In secundis, herb distance.
Also makes a real difference.
I have been using my ceroma for 2 things since it retired to breakage backup for the Qaroma. A paper weight.
And a Screen Putter.
Past few months have been setting my screens in the 18mm joint. Turns any 18mm bowl/adaptor into a super efficient Microdosing monster. Or a bigger dose with a lower screen. Also reduces PID temperature. A little. Seems very efficient with herb.
Tastes better , to me.
I stuck a 2mm cork disk to the end of the ceroma joint. Was going to make a wooden one but my hands are awkward at the moment and im lazy. And many of us have a spare injector head to hand.
You can just use another 18mm male joint. Bit more fiddly. If I want a bit more conduction in the mix I just use my Qaroma to set the screen.
The screen size is dependant on how far down the joint you want the screen. ceroma + 2mm sets the screen just over half way down the ground joint .
Unground joints cause slippage of the screen too easily unless you score a line round the inside. this weakens the adaptor.
If you have to stir the bowl and are not gentle enough it can tip the screen, when i first started doing this, I used adaptors with glass screens built in or a second mesh screen where it normaly goes, but found it isnt needed with ground joints. micro-doses dont need stirring.
My micro-doses run around 0.05g. Although i generaly do 2 or 3 back to back. Love the taste. And the effiency.
Also like bigger doses on occasion.....every and any occasion. Happy Wednesday! (or is it thursday?)
It actualy seems to taste better without a glass or mesh screen beneath the top screen holding the herb.

Curious Gorilla,
Reactions: LesPlenty

howie105

I never liked wooden WPA/stems unless lined...how do you clean wooden bowls properly/thoroughly?
I use a handful of wire and nylon brushes, pipe cleaners and a very small amount of ISO. I try to just knock off the stuck on debris and not remove the charring that may have occurred through use.

olivianewtonjohn

Thanks for the answer. Wood bowl isnt for me as it personally seems counterintuitive to worry about airpath and materials to then use a wood bowl. But I am glad options are out there for people who do like them

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
We discussed using wood bowls for their in another thread, perhaps the injector bowl thread? I can't recall, but absolutely depends on the person and the species, variant etc. Some woods can be quite neutral but it's not necessarily universally true for everyone, like six said once you have bad experience it can scare you from using others, I have a really nice one I haven't even used yet, although I'm sure it is a more neutral wood (orange agate) my spalted mango did not go so well, not 100% sure about my olive wood either though I used it a lot... I have other wood stems, generally Walnut and Cherry are good but they take a bit of time to break in, Maple has been one of the most neutral for me though there are many varieties of it (typically you would want to stay away from any spalting or such damage to the wood for this application) ideally you have a bowl and vapor path liner especially, be it metal or glass, but I will try the wax cleaning someday too! have too much stuff lol

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Last edited:

Curious Gorilla

Dunno about that,
1683607645584-jpg.46780

that doesnt look so complicated, this guy must be paying many Liliputians alot of money to clean his rig on a daily basis........

cannabis-distillation-2.jpg

Its a GIANT Reclaim Collector.
I think the guy has to much GAS and realized he needed to do something with allllll his glassware at once ........
Didnt realise you could sell the reclaim as distillate.....
appearantly it is a still for distilling cannabis. I pefere to use my Qaroma and a recycler.

Seing this made me wonder,Wouldnt distilate taste as bad as reclaim? and suffer from the same overheated oil issue?
The wording in article talks like any plant matter (is evil and) must be removed as it contains no medical properties. The industry are desperate to convince people flower is no good-you can get same attitude at some UK cannabis clinics(sappire) ....''you must use our processed medicines, they are less effective, but flower is evil.....'' (while they wave their hands infront of your eyes). They are right, but only when its irradiated flower(do you even get that shit in over in North America or Canada?)
Dont get me wrong, 2 months using mostly cured rosin has convinced me of the medical benefits of GOOD extracts,(Squish) but every similar article sounds a little desperate---- they can make so much more money from processed stuff over Flower, and they dont need good quality.
Where are all the articles promoting the fact vapourising Flower can give you upto 40% more medicinal compounds than any other method of consumption? Or do i have that wrong?

Got loads of black walnut, but i might try get some local applewood for an injector bowl.
Applewood looks good as its low toxicity, fine grained, hard as terp pearl you tread on in bare feet in the dark at night after you have previously dropped all your ruby balls on the floor and missed picking up a few.

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
'you must use our processed medicines, they are less effective, but flower is evil.....'' (while they wave their hands infront of your eyes). They are right,
My first cannabis doctor was like that, wasted thousands on oils and sprays. I like flower vaping with added extracts and ball vapes make this easy, home grown/made bubble hash wafers on top of (new)doctors indica flower,
1690291771477-jpg.48175

SixStringToker

Naked member
Whoa. Is that just flower or is there concentrate too? Is that a wireless steamroller?
Just flower. It was actually the second hit of the session with both of those, too!

The first one is my tetherless TKO. Initially, I was just trying to turn down the very end of the TKO to get it to fit inside the rTiTi bowl. I had it PERFECT, then decided to put a wee bit more of a chamfer on the bottom, and cut it a hair too deep - the diffuser fell off like a little coin! It's now actually the diffuser in my Steamroller Mini. The tetherless TKO itself now has a screen on the bottom. The second one is the Tetherless Steamroller that I've since reattached a coil to for ball testing.

Top Bottom