**Ball vape comparison megathread** Compare your balls.

Which ball vape do you prefer?

• Flowerpot B0

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Flowerpot B1

Votes: 75 28.4%
  • Flowerpot B2

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Old Head freight train

Votes: 26 9.8%
  • Pinky

Votes: 20 7.6%
  • Qaroma Ceroma \ Quartz

Votes: 26 9.8%
  • Qaroma Taroma 2 \ XL

Votes: 29 11.0%
  • DC ELEV8R with Rubies.

Votes: 24 9.1%
  • Cloud connoisseur Halo \ Atlas

Votes: 25 9.5%
  • DDave Extraction Contraption

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

Hagbard Celine

Well that was my problem with the Couchlog! I couldn't session with it, because 3 hits through the stem exhausted the heater and it needed 10+minutes to refresh. With the WPA it was only one hit!

I highly recommend the Enano XL with the caveat that you need to use the Jodaglass WPA

Yeah, that seems highly irregular! You were keeping the Couchlog plugged in, and couldnt take 3 hits without exhausting the heater?
I didnt try using it unplugged too much, that just seemed a little gimmicky to me...but if that is your experience with the CL plugged in, it is nothing like mine at all.

Also, really like the Joda glass bowl I got that works with both the CL and the Omega 14mm injector ball vape.

simba

@weedanwine
This was all plugged in, many emails back and forth with the maker. He believed my unit was perfectly functional but agreed to a return as I wasn't happy with the performance. I very rarely unplugged it.

One note though, I'm a very heavy user so of course YMMV.

coolbreeze

People around here are doing amazing things. Can't overstate my appreciation . :love:
IMG-0378.jpg

coolbreeze

Gorgeous halogen ballvape log by Vaporoonie (w/ power supply) available for $200:

Happy Fish

Yeah, that seems highly irregular! You were keeping the Couchlog plugged in, and couldnt take 3 hits without exhausting the heater?
I didnt try using it unplugged too much, that just seemed a little gimmicky to me...but if that is your experience with the CL plugged in, it is nothing like mine at all.

Also, really like the Joda glass bowl I got that works with both the CL and the Omega 14mm injector ball vape.
Even though I've never used a couchlog, I believe his account. All these ball/log hybrids that I've seen are still using low wattage DC power supplies. This means they have the same achilles heel, the fact that they're all putting in less than 12 watts of energy into the heater core. No matter what type of core you use, that will mean you will need to wait for it to heat back up. A core with a larger thermal battery capacity will get discharged slower but also heat back up slower. If you are a sipper who takes some time between hits you might never even notice it, but a heavy hitter might notice the limitations. That's why in my mind, without having actually tried one, I'm just thinking of these log ball hybrids as just another log, not actually a ball vape substitute. The PIDs can put out a lot more power and heat and the heads hold more balls so in a ball vape you have both a bigger thermal battery plus faster charging of that battery.

Hagbard Celine

Even though I've never used a couchlog, I believe his account. All these ball/log hybrids that I've seen are still using low wattage DC power supplies. This means they have the same achilles heel, the fact that they're all putting in less than 12 watts of energy into the heater core. No matter what type of core you use, that will mean you will need to wait for it to heat back up. A core with a larger thermal battery capacity will get discharged slower but also heat back up slower. If you are a sipper who takes some time between hits you might never even notice it, but a heavy hitter might notice the limitations. That's why in my mind, without having actually tried one, I'm just thinking of these log ball hybrids as just another log, not actually a ball vape substitute. The PIDs can put out a lot more power and heat and the heads hold more balls so in a ball vape you have both a bigger thermal battery plus faster charging of that battery.

Well I do have a couchlog, and I've used it almost exclusively for close to 2 months now. I still dont believe his account is the NORM. I'll admit a caveat in that I do tend towards casual sipping, but believe me there are times I want to finish a bowl or two more quickly. It varies. Another caveat that might make a difference is that I dont usually load huge amounts, tending to keep bowls around 0.10g or so.

Actually, I have a LOT of different log vapes that I have used almost exclusively for 12 years or so. I do tend to keep two plugged in for each session. I am aware of the occasional lag in power in some of the older logs (I think this has been somewhat overstated, and sometimes, this was a matter of just getting an old heater replaced), but lumping them all together is a bit misleading too. All of the logs I have work on less than 10 watts. They dont have the thermal mass that necessitates ~100w of power like a ball vape requires. But these newer logs with some more built in thermal mass and larger heaters have opened my eyes a bit.

I also have a ball vape, which I only bring out for special occasions lately when I want to show off some new unique tech, so I do have some frame of reference here. I'm not trying to claim equivalence here between ball = log vape, but I believe many people might actually be surprised. For me the form factor for the log vape is just simpler, safer, easier to manage. YMMV

Hagbard Celine,
Reactions: LesPlenty

simba

@weedanwine
Well I do have a couchlog, and I've used it almost exclusively for close to 2 months now. I still dont believe his account is the NORM. I'll admit a caveat in that I do tend towards casual sipping, but believe me there are times I want to finish a bowl or two more quickly.

I don't know what you count as the NORM? But the maker said the unit was working normally so I dunno what to tell you.

simba,

Hagbard Celine

I don't know what you count as the NORM? But the maker said the unit was working normally so I dunno what to tell you.

I guess what I am calling norm is what I have experienced the past couple of months, and maybe what I can gather from a few others who have talked about their experience. I have never needed to wait 10 minutes to take another hit with the CL after taking a few back to back hits... I guess thats all I can say.

Hagbard Celine,

simba

@weedanwine
I also know people who have had the same experience so I guess down to different usage patterns and maybe some variation in the units that the maker thinks are still within spec?

I guess what I am calling norm is what I have experienced the past couple of months, and maybe what I can gather from a few others who have talked about their experience. I have never needed to wait 10 minutes to take another hit with the CL after taking a few back to back hits... I guess thats all I can say.
Also CL user here.
Love the device.

After taking one huge rip through glass there is not enough thermal energy left for a second hit. Not even one with the same material to see if it's really spent. It does not take 10 minutes, but about 5 to take the next hit.
It doesn't bother me too much though.

Hagbard Celine

Also CL user here.
Love the device.

After taking one huge rip through glass there is not enough thermal energy left for a second hit. Not even one with the same material to see if it's really spent. It does not take 10 minutes, but about 5 to take the next hit.
It doesn't bother me too much though.

Several hours ago I just loaded a bowl with 0.10 - 0.15g and took 5 hits through water with the CL. I only waited enough in between to blow out the vapor and stop coughing. All the hits milked the piece except for the very last one. Stirred just a tiny bit for that last hit, then blew out the bowl.

Sorry so many seem to be having trouble problems with their device.🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m not affiliated with CL or 420Eng at all. If I had to wait 5 minutes between hits it would have taken me 20 mins to finish my bowl and this device would be sitting here cold on the sidelines… instead I used mine for another 4-5 bowls before unplugging for the night

Last edited:
Hagbard Celine,
Several hours ago I just loaded a bowl with 0.10 - 0.15g and took 5 hits through water with the CL. I only waited enough in between to blow out the vapor and stop coughing. All the hits milked the piece except for the very last one. Stirred just a tiny bit for that last hit, then blew out the bowl.

Sorry so many seem to be having trouble problems with their device.🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m not affiliated with CL or 420Eng at all. If I had to wait 5 minutes between hits it would have taken me 20 mins to finish my bowl and this device would be sitting here cold on the sidelines… instead I used mine for another 4-5 bowls before unplugging for the night
Interesting. To be fair: The bowl is pretty spent after my one big rip.
I assume you do more sipping, right?
But you are right, mine gets not as much used as it should due to this. Too many other toys ;-).
Would I sell the CL? No way. Like it too much anyway.
Will experiment a bit with sipping the next days though.

update: Tried it. But two whimpy puffs and then nothing. Put the material in the Tempest (similar sized ball vape) and it still goes.
when i finish the bowl in one draw i get a good extraction. I tried fresh material right after, nope. Nothing. Needed to heat soak for another 10 minutes, then flavorful and good again. Too medicated to write more now :-).

Last edited:
Bahama_Mama_please,

Hagbard Celine

Interesting. To be fair: The bowl is pretty spent after my one big rip.
I assume you do more sipping, right?
But you are right, mine gets not as much used as it should due to this. Too many other toys ;-).
Would I sell the CL? No way. Like it too much anyway.
Will experiment a bit with sipping the next days though.

update: Tried it. But two whimpy puffs and then nothing. Put the material in the Tempest (similar sized ball vape) and it still goes.
when i finish the bowl in one draw i get a good extraction. I tried fresh material right after, nope. Nothing. Needed to heat soak for another 10 minutes, then flavorful and good again. Too medicated to write more now :-).

Certainly I do tend towards sipping, especially the longer into the night the session tends to go. But for the first bowl or two, I will usually finish them up a little more quickly. Also, it sounds like I dont have the lung capacity to take GIANT rips like you are talking about, although it seems I can finish a bowl pretty easily, by taking anywhere from 4 - 6 shorter hits with very little time in between.

If you feel you are getting a good extraction with your one huge rip, thats great!!! But I definitely wouldnt want to wait 10 minutes after each one of those. In my case, once I finish up a bowl I might wait a few minutes before starting another? Although there's no hard and fast rule here, i'm just not paying that much attention I guess. And I almost always have 2 logs plugged in for a session, so I'm definitely less likely to run into bottlenecks like this anyway,

I'll say I'm more of the casual vaper in general though, and it's likely this is partly why we are having different experiences.

Hagbard Celine,
Top Bottom