**Ball vape comparison megathread** Compare your balls.

Which ball vape do you prefer?

• Flowerpot B0

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Flowerpot B1

Votes: 75 28.4%
  • Flowerpot B2

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Old Head freight train

Votes: 26 9.8%
  • Pinky

Votes: 20 7.6%
  • Qaroma Ceroma \ Quartz

Votes: 26 9.8%
  • Qaroma Taroma 2 \ XL

Votes: 29 11.0%
  • DC ELEV8R with Rubies.

Votes: 24 9.1%
  • Cloud connoisseur Halo \ Atlas

Votes: 25 9.5%
  • DDave Extraction Contraption

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

ZC

I've been absent for quite some time. When I was active ball vapes were not a thing or at least not as talked about. I think there might have been one or two diy versions.

So jumping in blind, the concept I'm getting is that we heat up the balls, and the gaps between them I assume allow unrestricted airflow + high surface area + turbulance? Again, all assuming, that this leads to less hotspots as well?

Another assumption I'd make is not many battery powered options? Seems like additional thermal mass would significantly add energy needed for heatup and drain batteries faster.

What different form factors do we have so far? I have only really seen the tempest, and things that look like a coil heating up the chamber for the balls with a seperate glass wpa for the bowl.

Has anyone attempted to make a log vape with this method? It seems to me you could get much of the same benefits by surrounding a cartridge heater with balls in a log vape package.

Any answers or clarification on my assumptions is appreciated. :)

ZC,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Has anyone attempted to make a log vape with this method? It seems to me you could get much of the same benefits by surrounding a cartridge heater with balls in a log vape package.
The CouchLog was the first that I'm aware of. It's great, one of my favorite vapes. If you count the REFC Highlighter, then you have an earlier one. (I don't count it for pedantic reasons).

I believe the new WS also use pearls for heater mass. Although I haven't had the chance to try one yet.

You could definitely DIY a log from an e-nail but you might lose some of the benefits, like modularity.

coolbreeze

I've been absent for quite some time. When I was active ball vapes were not a thing or at least not as talked about. I think there might have been one or two diy versions.

So jumping in blind, the concept I'm getting is that we heat up the balls, and the gaps between them I assume allow unrestricted airflow + high surface area + turbulance? Again, all assuming, that this leads to less hotspots as well?

Another assumption I'd make is not many battery powered options? Seems like additional thermal mass would significantly add energy needed for heatup and drain batteries faster.

What different form factors do we have so far? I have only really seen the tempest, and things that look like a coil heating up the chamber for the balls with a seperate glass wpa for the bowl.

One of the very best vapes available, the CouchLog. It's a 14mm injector but there's also an 18mm XL.
Any answers or clarification on my assumptions is appreciated. :)
You'e otherwise correct. The pen versions are newer and really a lot of fun, quick to use, etc. The desktop ones are powerful, and often very flavorful. They will get anyone high, bar none.

howie105

I had extra balls and tried them in an LSV (rod heater plug in), and it did not impress. The heater could not hold enough balls to replicate the ball vape effect I was looking for. However, Elev8 has released a “baller series” kit for the Silver Surfer and the Buddha with a new heater cover which seem somewhat popular, but I have no firsthand experience with them. Good Luck.

howie105,
Reactions: Likun

coolbreeze

Yes, the CouchLog is exactly that The 18mm XLs have just been restocked I think. The Halogen logs all have balls too, some with the lamp surrounded, others with the balls between the lamp and the load. The Woodsecents has balls as well; it's a cartridge with balls between the heater and load as well.
I had extra balls and tried them in an LSV (rod heater plug in), and it did not impress. The heater could not hold enough balls to replicate the ball vape effect I was looking for. However, Elev8 has released a “baller series” kit for the Silver Surfer and the Buddha with a new heater cover which seem somewhat popular, but I have no firsthand experience with them. Good Luck.
The baller covers are excellent. I had modded my DBV and it worked pretty well but the new cover is better and easier to set up. It's a very powerful vape now, just produces as much cool tasty vapor as you can pull.

Last edited:

Hagbard Celine

Lets also not forget about the GTR log vape.... Created by Alan (same person behind the Heat Island, Toasty Top, iHeat). There is a thread here on FC about it. There are no balls in it, so not strictly a ball vape by definition. But it shares many of the same design elements, including larger heater sizes (14mm / 18mm injector heads, and other options) and more thermal mass in the heater.

Last edited:
Hagbard Celine,
  • Love
Reactions: coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Lets also not forget about the GTR log vape.... Created by Alan (same person behind the Heat Island, Toasty Top, iHeat). There is a thread here on FC about it. There are no balls in it, so not strictly a ball vape by definition. But it shares many of the same design elements, including larger heater sizes (14mm / 18mm injector heads, and other options) and more thermal mass in the heater.
Mine will be done soon I think....I sure can't wait to try it!

The Underdog Alphas are also heater-enhanced but it that case it's an extended, heated airpath folded around the heater, iiuc. Also apparently quite powerful.

coolbreeze,
Reactions: Grass Yes

coolbreeze

I have the screwball and wondering how it compares to these vapes?
These powerful logs? The Screwball is more powerful for sure, but functionally it probably wouldn't make a ton of difference. For instance, the SB can deliver the largest lungful possible but most of my use at least is below that level. Otoh, I can also get a big lungful from my CouchLog just as quickly, though it might well be smaller than the SB's largest output. The Woodscents can also deliver a big, big puff but you pull it out mouth-to-lung. So it's more about differences in the style of use and levels of restriction and things like that than any appreciable shortfall in power.

I think if one was squeamish over exposed coils, one of these logs could fill their needs in terms of bong hits with little trouble. It's not quite the same usually but they definitely do the job.

Oden

These powerful logs? The Screwball is more powerful for sure, but functionally it probably wouldn't make a ton of difference. For instance, the SB can deliver the largest lungful possible but most of my use at least is below that level. Otoh, I can also get a big lungful from my CouchLog just as quickly, though it might well be smaller than the SB's largest output. The Woodscents can also deliver a big, big puff but you pull it out mouth-to-lung. So it's more about differences in the style of use and levels of restriction and things like that than any appreciable shortfall in power.

I think if one was squeamish over exposed coils, one of these logs could fill their needs in terms of bong hits with little trouble. It's not quite the same usually but they definitely do the job.
You have a big collection 👍🏻
This is probably a difficult question, but I would be curious to know what is your favorite vape?
In the desktop vaporizer category.

coolbreeze

You have a big collection 👍🏻
This is probably a difficult question, but I would be curious to know what is your favorite vape?
In the desktop vaporizer category.
That's a tough one! To be honest I think it's mostly based in sentimental reasons for the most part, so many work so well. I love my Hydrobrick, my DBV, my Vapbong, my Vapman/Station, etc not just because they work so well but because of how I feel about them. Then there's ones like the ZX or Couchlog, which I have a strong attachment to but really just work so well there's no question. I apologize if I unartfully avoided answering, but I have like 15 top choices! ; )

Oden

That's a tough one! To be honest I think it's mostly based in sentimental reasons for the most part, so many work so well. I love my Hydrobrick, my DBV, my Vapbong, my Vapman/Station, etc not just because they work so well but because of how I feel about them. Then there's ones like the ZX or Couchlog, which I have a strong attachment to but really just work so well there's no question. I apologize if I unartfully avoided answering, but I have like 15 top choices! ; )
Hahahahaha that's a really tough question and I knew it.
It's really a great answer because there aren't necessarily better vaporizers.

Besides, I'm a fan of micro dosing with the ZX but I'm looking for another traveling companion for my ZX. It's my only office vape for the moment.
Is the CouChlog a good option for micro dosing like the ZX?

coolbreeze

Hahahahaha that's a really tough question and I knew it.
It's really a great answer because there aren't necessarily better vaporizers.
So many good ones.
Besides, I'm a fan of micro dosing with the ZX but I'm looking for another traveling companion for my ZX. It's my only office vape for the moment.
Is the CouChlog a good option for micro dosing like the ZX?
Yes, absolutely. It's not the first one I'd think of for microdosing because of its power and the bowl and chamber's capacities. As a log it's very powerful, but it's still great as a log. For dedicated microdosing it's probably more than necessary, really, but with the mouthpiece or the JoDa bowl you can set up a smaller hit. The CL can easily handle a load the size of a small ZX load: as long as the screen's covered it'll work and work well. Flavor's amazing.

Oden

So many good ones.

Yes, absolutely. It's not the first one I'd think of for microdosing because of its power and the bowl and chamber's capacities. As a log it's very powerful, but it's still great as a log. For dedicated microdosing it's probably more than necessary, really, but with the mouthpiece or the JoDa bowl you can set up a smaller hit. The CL can easily handle a load the size of a small ZX load: as long as the screen's covered it'll work and work well. Flavor's amazing.

The CouChlog is interesting.
I have never tested log vapes, but the one that interests me the most among those you mentioned is WoodScents! I didn't know about this vape, and I would love to try it as my first log!
But unfortunately they are almost out of stock and the best types of wood have gone into the wild lol.
I'm really starting to get tired of the coils and I'd like to try other things..
I would never give up my ZX though 😂

The GRT is interesting, which one would you recommend between the two?

If I understood correctly, these WoodScents come out once a year.. maybe I should wait for the next model 🤷🏻

coolbreeze

The CouChlog is interesting.
It's the best, imo.
I have never tested log vapes, but the one that interests me the most among those you mentioned is WoodScents! I didn't know about this vape, and I would love to try it as my first log!
I really enjoy it. Mine is on if I'm awake. It's great for light daily use and also for getting good and baked. Long mtl pulls give powerful hits but you can just sip away, too. I love it on the porch; some folks take them hiking! For people who like Dynavaps, it's probably the best upgrade you could make.
But unfortunately they are almost out of stock and the best types of wood have gone into the wild lol.
Dang it! ; P
I'm really starting to get tired of the coils and I'd like to try other things..
I would never give up my ZX though 😂
I hear that! I avoided logs as a slippery slope. I'm on the slope now and at least I'm enjoying the ride!

Seriously, it's a really convenient form factor with no real downsides now that they are catching up power-wise. They don't need to be ball vapes but giving them the ability to hit harder if desired has kept them relevant in a ball-vape world. Mostly the improvements seem aimed at heat retention rather than raw power although there is more usable power in most cases I think.

They ain't the Z. They make a great team though. ; )
The GRT is interesting, which one would you recommend between the two?
That's a good question. My GTRs are still being made so I haven't gotten to try them and while there was a lot of excitement with them I just haven't seen much, really, after the initial flurry. Not sure even if many have been delivered yet. Alan did tell me that he checked mine out and says it works great.

I'm really excited for them to be honest. My assumption is that it will feel more powerful and more open that the WS but I don't expect it to be a CouchLog. I think it will be a really good fit for me as a go-to roaster, something like my MUSA but with a smaller base load.

If you think you might possibly be interested in one, get on the list now. It will take awhile and you'll have the freedom to say no if that's where you're at when your turn comes up. If you really can't wait, ask Alan if he has any pre-made Heat Islands. I understand that they are a wonderful, classic log. He's made uber-inexpensive ones from bamboo or even cardboard. Won't have the power of a GTR but it may hold you over. ; ) (slope? what slope?)
If I understood correctly, these WoodScents come out once a year.. maybe I should wait for the next model 🤷🏻
Yeah, one batch per year is what I've seen. I'll be honest there are a couple among those remaining I would happily have gotten if mine was not available, but if you think you'd regret any of the choices left, wait til next year. People love the burls but boy in any other shop those left would be top-shelf!

Oden

It's the best, imo.

I really enjoy it. Mine is on if I'm awake. It's great for light daily use and also for getting good and baked. Long mtl pulls give powerful hits but you can just sip away, too. I love it on the porch; some folks take them hiking! For people who like Dynavaps, it's probably the best upgrade you could make.

Dang it! ; P

I hear that! I avoided logs as a slippery slope. I'm on the slope now and at least I'm enjoying the ride!

Seriously, it's a really convenient form factor with no real downsides now that they are catching up power-wise. They don't need to be ball vapes but giving them the ability to hit harder if desired has kept them relevant in a ball-vape world. Mostly the improvements seem aimed at heat retention rather than raw power although there is more usable power in most cases I think.

They ain't the Z. They make a great team though. ; )

That's a good question. My GTRs are still being made so I haven't gotten to try them and while there was a lot of excitement with them I just haven't seen much, really, after the initial flurry. Not sure even if many have been delivered yet. Alan did tell me that he checked mine out and says it works great.

I'm really excited for them to be honest. My assumption is that it will feel more powerful and more open that the WS but I don't expect it to be a CouchLog. I think it will be a really good fit for me as a go-to roaster, something like my MUSA but with a smaller base load.

If you think you might possibly be interested in one, get on the list now. It will take awhile and you'll have the freedom to say no if that's where you're at when your turn comes up. If you really can't wait, ask Alan if he has any pre-made Heat Islands. I understand that they are a wonderful, classic log. He's made uber-inexpensive ones from bamboo or even cardboard. Won't have the power of a GTR but it may hold you over. ; ) (slope? what slope?)

Yeah, one batch per year is what I've seen. I'll be honest there are a couple among those remaining I would happily have gotten if mine was not available, but if you think you'd regret any of the choices left, wait til next year. People love the burls but boy in any other shop those left would be top-shelf!

Thank you for this response 🙏🏻
Always so clear and precise.
It honestly helps a lot.
With Shit Snacks you are the bosses in this regard in this forum.

Finally, the most interesting readily available log is CouChlog for its power!
But I still hesitate between it and the woodScents padauk which is still available on the site.
The price is better for the woodScents, and it would potentially be great as a one hitter thanks to the small bowls. Its big flaw would apparently be its restriction...
I'm still thinking about it because fortunately for the moment these two logs are easily available, and international delivery for woodScents is really affordable.

I love these logs now and need to get them into my rotation with the ZX 👍🏻

I haven't yet figured out how GRT works compared to the other two I mentioned above, but I looked through the GRT thread a bit a few days ago and messaged Alan directly to ask. 'he can put me on his waiting list but it's been 5 days and he hasn't answered me yet 🤷🏻
I'm waiting for his response.
And how long did you wait for your GRTs? Finally they will arrive soon for you but how long do you have to wait on average to get one?

I can't wait for you to give us your opinion to compare it to your other logs ✌🏻

coolbreeze

Thank you for this response 🙏🏻
Always so clear and precise.
It honestly helps a lot.
With Shit Snacks you are the bosses in this regard in this forum.
Thank you for your kindness.
Finally, the most interesting readily available log is CouChlog for its power!
It's really great. A classic.
But I still hesitate between it and the woodScents padauk which is still available on the site.
It's really great and also a classic ; )
The price is better for the woodScents, and it would potentially be great as a one hitter thanks to the small bowls. Its big flaw would apparently be its restriction...
Yes, there is restriction but it's a little bit less than a Dynavap with a cap on. It doesn't interfere with direct MTL use at all, imho, but means that you have to build up a hit in your waterpipe more than just rip a hit straight through.
I'm still thinking about it because fortunately for the moment these two logs are easily available, and international delivery for woodScents is really affordable.
It's really good, and I find it kind of complimentary of the CL in terms of hit type. The CL is great both direct and through water, but it's more a straight rip, like with a ballvape. Together you have an excellent all-day+ vape and one that can more comfortably go big for evenings.
I love these logs now and need to get them into my rotation with the ZX 👍🏻
You're slipping on the slope! ; )
I haven't yet figured out how GRT works compared to the other two I mentioned above, but I looked through the GRT thread a bit a few days ago and messaged Alan directly to ask. 'he can put me on his waiting list but it's been 5 days and he hasn't answered me yet 🤷🏻
I'm waiting for his response.
I think you can contact him through his website:

The GTRs take a very different approach to heat retention. Where most use heated balls, he has created a matrix of screen-like fins on the heater which is then inside the glass or metal heater tube. The heater can instantly heat those screens to temp, so as you draw and cool them, it heats them right back up. Air is restricted to the tube and then passes through the screens pulling out their heat and turbulating it on the way to the bed of herbs. The screens just heat right back up. I think there's a picture of it in the Heat Island thread, if I remember correctly. I can't wait to try it.

And how long did you wait for your GRTs? Finally they will arrive soon for you but how long do you have to wait on average to get one?
I think I joined the list in March '22, so it takes awhile. I would still get on the list. By the time your turn comes around you will have plenty of user experiences to evaluate, and who knows, maybe some updates. ; )
I can't wait for you to give us your opinion to compare it to your other logs ✌🏻
Hah! I'll be gushing all over the place! ; )

simba

@weedanwine
It's the best, imo.

Think it's the first time I've really disagreed with you 😂

I did not rate the power of the standard Couchlog and could never have that instead of a ball vape. The Enano XL however has never failed me and I really tried!

After being disappointed with the Couchlog and returning it, I went extra with the Enano XL to make sure it was up to task and it handled it all.

I'm really looking forward to my name coming up on the GTR waitlist, but in the meantime I don't think I'll bother with any other mains-powered desktop vape as it seems unnecessary.

coolbreeze

Think it's the first time I've really disagreed with you 😂

I did not rate the power of the standard Couchlog and could never have that instead of a ball vape. The Enano XL however has never failed me and I really tried!

After being disappointed with the Couchlog and returning it, I went extra with the Enano XL to make sure it was up to task and it handled it all.

I'm really looking forward to my name coming up on the GTR waitlist, but in the meantime I don't think I'll bother with any other mains-powered desktop vape as it seems unnecessary.
I disagree with myself all the time! ; )

The ballvape comparison hinges for me on 'ballvape'='powerful prolonged heat desktop,' rather than 'it goes toe-to-toe with my B0.' For quick clean rips I'd go to my ZX but for a bigger session-like bowl I'd go with the CouchLog on a waterpipe. I'm sure it's on par with my G43, etc. but it's no Screwball.

Now you got me wanting to try an XL though!

simba

@weedanwine
Well that was my problem with the Couchlog! I couldn't session with it, because 3 hits through the stem exhausted the heater and it needed 10+minutes to refresh. With the WPA it was only one hit!

I highly recommend the Enano XL with the caveat that you need to use the Jodaglass WPA+stems because the stock ones are trash. But with that right setup it's awesome, just delivers hit after hit with great vapour. I honestly can't fault it and that's saying a lot for my critical self 😂

The only other desktops that ever get a look in for me now are the Supreme V3 and occasionally the Tasty Tube.

coolbreeze

Well that was my problem with the Couchlog! I couldn't session with it, because 3 hits through the stem exhausted the heater and it needed 10+minutes to refresh. With the WPA it was only one hit!
Ah, that doesn't sound like mine.
I highly recommend the Enano XL with the caveat that you need to use the Jodaglass WPA+stems because the stock ones are trash. But with that right setup it's awesome, just delivers hit after hit with great vapour. I honestly can't fault it and that's saying a lot for my critical self 😂
Conveniently enough, I have a JoDa bowl for the CL and ZX! ... you're not making this easy.
The only other desktops that ever get a look in for me now are the Supreme V3 and occasionally the Tasty Tube.
OK, I never got to try a Supreme either but the Tasty Tube is indeed kick-ass. I haven't had that out in awhile...

Oden

Ah, that doesn't sound like mine.

Conveniently enough, I have a JoDa bowl for the CL and ZX! ... you're not making this easy.

OK, I never got to try a Supreme either but the Tasty Tube is indeed kick-ass. I haven't had that out in awhile...

Thanks again!
It's awfully long to get a GRT, but I'm waiting for confirmation of my registration and I'll forget about this log until Alan contacts me lol.

I'm going to order a CouChlog and maybe an E-nano XL because I've heard a lot of good things about this log too!
Especially on Reddit.
For the WoodScents I will wait for the next batch because I want the thuya burl hahaha

Do you please know where I can get this Jodaglass WPA stuff?

simba

@weedanwine
Yeah getting some other options to keep you busy whilst you wait for the GTR is a good idea. I'm still patiently waiting 😁

That's the link from Delta3d studios for the 14mm Enano WPA, but if you need 10mm or a stem then you can go direct to @VaPeD&CoNfUsEd on here or Instagram @joda_glass

coolbreeze

Do you please know where I can get this Jodaglass WPA stuff?
That's the link from Delta3d studios for the 14mm Enano WPA, but if you need 10mm or a stem then you can go direct to @VaPeD&CoNfUsEd on here or Instagram @joda_glass
And he makes one with a 14mm female joint on top for Couch Logs, Omegas, and P3 ZXs, that's what I have.

Last edited:
Top Bottom