Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

konekt

Ohh myyyy - the man is a genius. I like the concept!! And they will be easier/faster to load and store than these flowers! Thanks for the tip! I've found a similar product on Amazon US (non prime, unfortunately), Ordering them later today.

Still waiting for a good time to writeup my first opinions on my Ascent, but I'll post that later (I'm sure it'll rival the length of my first post, ha ha ha).

Mine came with a 'full' charge (but I suspected the battery meter was lying to me).

After my initial ISO cleaning, I fired up the Ascent an ran through a burn-in at 400 for 15 minutes (draining the battery before charging for first time on purpose).

I then charged for 4-5 hours, and then started to use.

After I drained 2/3rds of the battery, charged full again and repeated cycle.

I'm going to try to follow the "charge every other day" policy since this will be my daily driver.... (unless charging is required more frequently! ha ha)
Two thoughts here, both repeats. First off, I'd be cautious about using crystal glass in any vape, typically to get that lovely 'texture' they put LOTS of lead in it. Enough to contaminate (to some extent) some food products simply dispensed in them (like wine). The added lead is why such crystal is so much heavier than normal glass. Most guys are trying to limit lead uptake, it makes you stupid and lazy.......THC is my preferred agent here......

I'd suggest sticking with glass intended for human contact at elevated temperatures like the 'tobacco pipe screen' flowers.

Secondly, glass is only a (pretty unimportant) part of the puzzle. It's actually not ideal since it conducts heat so poorly (metals would be better, but most guys are hung up on 'all glass vapor path'?). If you check back you'll see I tested glass beads (a fair bit actually), they lack an important feature of the flowers, surface area. That's important, it's compensating at some level for the poor thermal conduction.

Try both and see what you think?

OF

Please see the following link which explains difference between "lead crystal" which you refer and normal lead free crystal like the beads i purchased. Lead crystal is very expensive and fine, plus none of the toxicity of the lead would be released at these temperatures as it is fire glazed.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_6139921_difference-between-crystal-lead-crystal.html

Lets face it if it were lead crystal still probably less toxic than smoking anyhow

Ohh myyyy - the man is a genius. I like the concept!! And they will be easier/faster to load and store than these flowers! Thanks for the tip! I've found a similar product on Amazon US (non prime, unfortunately), Ordering them later today.

Still waiting for a good time to writeup my first opinions on my Ascent, but I'll post that later (I'm sure it'll rival the length of my first post, ha ha ha).

Mine came with a 'full' charge (but I suspected the battery meter was lying to me).

After my initial ISO cleaning, I fired up the Ascent an ran through a burn-in at 400 for 15 minutes (draining the battery before charging for first time on purpose).

I'm going to try to follow the "charge every other day" policy since this will be my daily driver.... (unless charging is required more frequently! ha ha)

Haha i don't know about genius but forgot point C. probably the most important due to the faceted edges it maximises surface area even more than flowers.

Two thoughts here, both repeats. First off, I'd be cautious about using crystal glass in any vape, typically to get that lovely 'texture' they put LOTS of lead in it. Enough to contaminate (to some extent) some food products simply dispensed in them (like wine). The added lead is why such crystal is so much heavier than normal glass. Most guys are trying to limit lead uptake, it makes you stupid and lazy.......THC is my preferred agent here......

I'd suggest sticking with glass intended for human contact at elevated temperatures like the 'tobacco pipe screen' flowers.

Secondly, glass is only a (pretty unimportant) part of the puzzle. It's actually not ideal since it conducts heat so poorly (metals would be better, but most guys are hung up on 'all glass vapor path'?). If you check back you'll see I tested glass beads (a fair bit actually), they lack an important feature of the flowers, surface area. That's important, it's compensating at some level for the poor thermal conduction.

Try both and see what you think?

OF

bit more info on the beads - Czech Fire Polished Bead. In clear color "Crystal". Fire Polished beads are glass beads that are faceted by machine. The edges and surface are then given a softer, polished look by placing the beads in hot ovens or over open flames. By virtue of this process, Fire Polished beads are all slightly different from each other; this adds to their charm. Unlike Austrian faceted crystals, Fire Polished beads contain no lead. It is the heat polishing process that gives them their soft glow and brilliance. Measurements: 3mm long, 2.7mm wide Quantity: 50 beads, which is approximately 5.75 inches of beads when strung. Hole is less than 1mm in diameter.

Last edited by a moderator:

OF

Please see the following link which explains difference between "lead crystal" which you refer and normal lead free crystal like the beads i purchased.

True enough in some cases, but even that much wasn't mentioned in the original post? Even then, IMO there's a chance of some innocent putting 'advice from the web' about using crystal to ill use. I think such cautions belong with the advice. Not some time later in response.

The potential exists, I still advise due caution using glass not intended for the duty.

And even then net.guys will blow the connection. How many posts are on the Omicron forum to the effect 'I oxidized the living shit out of it and it still leaks/tastes bad'? Stoners are not good on details I think.

I'll stick by my advice, by all means try the flowers, they are intended for this use and proven 'most effective product available' for the job. Approach beads and other alternatives with caution, they have potential to contain lead (since they were never intended for this use......) and even at their very best are basically spheres (facets don't really improve that much unless there are very few of them) so shapes like the flowers will have significantly more working surface per pound.

Again, all you have to do is try both and you too can see first hand how this plays out. I've tried both, as have others, and IMO the clear winner is the flowers. Or should that be '.....the clear winners are the flowers'? We sure pinched an awkward language, didn't we?

Each guys gets his own choice, just make it an informed one?

OF

konekt

True enough in some cases, but even that much wasn't mentioned in the original post? Even then, IMO there's a chance of some innocent putting 'advice from the web' about using crystal to ill use. I think such cautions belong with the advice. Not some time later in response.

The potential exists, I still advise due caution using glass not intended for the duty.

And even then net.guys will blow the connection. How many posts are on the Omicron forum to the effect 'I oxidized the living shit out of it and it still leaks/tastes bad'? Stoners are not good on details I think.

I'll stick by my advice, by all means try the flowers, they are intended for this use and proven 'most effective product available' for the job. Approach beads and other alternatives with caution, they have potential to contain lead (since they were never intended for this use......) and even at their very best are basically spheres (facets don't really improve that much unless there are very few of them) so shapes like the flowers will have significantly more working surface per pound.

Again, all you have to do is try both and you too can see first hand how this plays out. I've tried both, as have others, and IMO the clear winner is the flowers. Or should that be '.....the clear winners are the flowers'? We sure pinched an awkward language, didn't we?

Each guys gets his own choice, just make it an informed one?

OF

I agree with what you are saying and tbh I got these as I struggled to find the flowers in the UK. However I wouldn't be complacent about a product made for smoking either. Whilst vaping companies are careful about toxins etc I wouldn't expect that of a company making smoking products.

Modnote: Edited to remove duplicate quote.

OF

I agree with what you are saying and tbh I got these as I struggled to find the flowers in the UK. However I wouldn't be complacent about a product made for smoking either. Whilst vaping companies are careful about toxins etc I wouldn't expect that of a company making smoking products.

Cool. There's a EU source of some high end flowers (Rohr?) drifting around. I didn't pay much attention being a Yank, but perhaps someone has it handy? Several sizes and models IIRC. Attractive, but from here too pricey. FWIW I doubt I've broken two flowers, I handle them gently, never rattle the container, dump the load (with them in it) while still warm and easily pluck the flowers out for reuse.

I agree, tobacco guys aren't at the top of the healthy products list. But there are regulations around products intended for 'human consumption/activities'. No regulations prevent your buying lead based solder and mixing it in the load for instance. But you can no longer use that solder for domestic water systems by law. Regulations offer some protections, but the responsibility is still ours in the end.

A small risk no doubt, but like all risks IMO it should be avoided if possible, and be a calculated one if not?

Thanks.

OF

Tony Hemp

@Tony Hemp I received my carbon fiber unit yesterday. I am not rubbing it in at all I just wanted to let you know, it's worth it. My device almost seems totally different. The latch is different, the silicone is different, the latch where the bowl hinges open moves better. The power button seems more sturdy and easier to push. The thing even takes draws smoother.

Also, I got glass flowers, I am throwing 2-3 in bottom of bowl, no particular arrangement just drop 3 in there. I put some herb in, probably around 0.5g. Then I put 2-3 more flowers on top then slightly give the whole bowl a soft pack down.

Am I doing this correctly? Anyone have a more efficient way to use the flowers?

Any tips or thoughts would help
Good to hear you got your ascent! I looked today and it's out for delivery. I won't be able to try it out until tomorrow at the earliest because I'm riding in a Mardi gras parade today!

Honestly everybody, I've never used glass or screens or anything in the ascent but herb and I've had superior results. Maybe it's the grind, I'm not sure. I have a sharpstone grinder, it doesn't grind super fine at all and I pack enough to cover the bottom and then more if I see fit. I pack it down very tightly, so so tight and I get amazing results. No herb in my mouth, even heating, and quality vapes all the way. I know how to hit it perfectly now too, which is very key. I might grab some glass flowers if I see any problems, but so far I like not keeping track of glass flowers and all that. I will try it to satisfy my curiosity haha all good news though @farcus2323 I'm looking forward to all these improvements. Hopefully this one lasts for us haha

@Tony Hemp get glass flowers, unbelievable difference. Makes the Ascent even better, promise. People that complain about breaking or losing, are clearly idiots. Take the metal poker that comes with ascent, use it to Emily chamber. Pick out flowers with fingers. EASY! I dump mine into a lit to a candle.

MrNaturalAZ

Tree hugging dirt worshipper
Glass flowers, $18.50 for 200, two different styles - found these on Amazon. Third-party seller, so not Prime, but is free shipping, so it comes to under a dime apiece. They've got the stemless "daisy" style, or the "jack" style with stems. I imagine the ones with stems are what most folks here use, but I wonder of the flat ones are worth trying, and might be less prone to breakage?

Jack-style "screens"

Daisy-style "screens"

Been mostly just lurking lately - thought I'd post an update on my Ascent experience, now that I've had it for almost two months.

I am still loving it. It has become my daily driver - haven't touched my LB knock-off since I got the Ascent (tho I'll keep it around as a back-up) and I'm not even sure where my couple of cheap Vaporite desktop whip vapes are. Here's a few observations - some confirming what I've already read, others possibly new? This is, of course, my experience -- YMMV.
  • It seems to work best with a full bowl. Fluffy grind, moderately packed.
  • Most of the heating element seems to be in the bottom of the bowl.
  • Judging by the uniform color of the spent product, heating seems to be even and efficient.
I've experimented a bit with temperature settings, but I find I get excellent results on the default setting of 375. Vapor is good, medication is effective, and product is never burnt, but seems to be evenly and thoroughly vaporized (spent product is an even brown color, with neither burnt spots nor light spots). It seems once it's "used up" at 375, upping the temp doesn't seem to do much, though occasionally bumping it up to 400 or more I might be able to squeeze one extra hit out of a load, but seems not really worth the effort.

On bowl size, flowers, etc. -- I like the large bowl for the convenience of being able to get several sessions (or have enough to share) between reloads. I can understand the attraction of smaller single-session loads - that way you get the yummy fresh-load flavor every session - but I'm willing to forgo that for the convenience of less frequent re-loading. OTOH, the downside to the large bowl, if filled, is I'm stuck with whatever I fill it until it's finished. Not so convenient if I want to switch strains, either for variety or necessity (I often have different needs at night, for example, than I do during the day). I'm considering trying some of the glass flowers to allow me to pack smaller loads for when I anticipate I might want to switch flavors before I'd normally finish a full bowl.

Other random tidbits...
  • One of the included metal screens in the bottom of the bowl and I've not had any issue with fallout.
  • Before each session, I flip it open and gently press the "puck" back down into the bowl for good contact.
  • I might explore the use of the flat (stemless) flowers on top of load to prevent the "puck" from being sucked up.
  • I've not yet removed the lower "screen" glass piece for cleaning, but at each refill I poke open the holes with a toothpick or bamboo skewer.
In conclusion, this one's definitely a keeper, and has done nothing but get better as I dial in my technique.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Hi guys!

Happy weekend! Finally have some time to review my Ascent since receiving it two days ago.

I purchased the Burl Wood Ascent, 1AA1 model. The packaging was excellent, I felt like I really did purchase a quality product, very nice work on the first impressions DV!

It should be noted (since in all my reading I didn’t see it) – there is a small plastic bag in the box, which contains 3 metal screens (some said 2?), 1 extra poker (!), and 2 stem caps (to cap the top of the glass stem). Plus of course the spare set of glass stems, and the 2 glass oilcans

First impressions – The finish is excellent, very stylish – it feels like a quality product. Heavy, solid and sturdy feeling when opening the oven. The OLED screen is beautiful. Heatup times are sufficient for my needs. Battery life is definitely sufficient for me.

I was surprised by how loose fitting the 2 glass stems are……. I really expected some friction fitting between them… Additionally, yes, my mouthpiece glass outer is very snug with the silicon top – To the point where it stretched significantly the first time I removed from the unit. Since then it has loosened up – seems to be smoother to retract and the silicon doesn’t flex nearly half as much.

Like some people have reported – I seem to have a smudge on the left and right sides of my OLED screen – but it’s not noticeable whatsoever when the screen is on.

To comment on the temperature of the exterior of the unit – I would like to run some official tests at some point – but it’s “very warm” around the oven when running it for longer than a few minutes. I expected the unit to be ‘warm’ – but holy crap, it’s more than warm, it’s almost on the verge of ‘too hot to handle for extended periods’ – but only in 2 or 3 places, moving my hand up higher on the device is much cooler in temperature and comfortable to handle. I must admit it felt goooood in my hands at 7am this morning while the temperature inside my house was 51F. I can see some people who are sensitive to heat might be uncomfortable, but for most of us, it should be fine.

I do hear a slight humming/buzzing noise, but nothing what I consider loud or annoying. I can only hear it in a quiet room, or when I press my ear up to the unit near the oven.

The OLED screen is under-used in my opinion – they could have added so much interaction – hell the menu button doesn’t even let you sort through a list of menu optins….. I still have yet to figure out how to run a schedule! The manual perfectly states how to set a scheduled routine, but never how to actually run the 3 stage routine.

I believe I have found a bug in which the temperature on the screen does not change even after adjusting temperature multiple times. IE – if I start at 375, and set the temp to 400, I might notice the temperature is stuck at 386 and will not change, no matter if I adjust the temperature again. The only way to clear this is to power cycle the device. I cannot figure out if the unit is maintaining the original previous temperature of 375, or is it 386, or is it actually 400F and the screen isn’t updating the temperature? I cannot seem to find a method to replicate the issue, seems to happen randomly. Very strange, but out of 10+ sessions, I’ve encountered this issue at least 3 times so far – not a good sign…….

When I first got my unit, I didn’t have glass flowers (and wasn’t about to pay $1.50 for one!), so I tried the glass oil can idea. I took one of the small metal screens from DV and snipped one of the sides (so it fits flat in the oven, covering most of the 4 holes) before the herbs and oil can. It works GREAT, except after using it for 6-7 times, It’s becoming increasingly difficult to remove the oilcan from the oven. Now that I have the glass flowers, I will stick with them until I find a better solution (these flowers really suck to handle, I really wanted to try those 4mm beads as I think they would be easier to use, but you’re right, I don’t want to take a chance on lead….). FWIW – I 3D printed these cross-tweezers on my Makerbot to help with inserting the glass flowers into the device. I might modify this design to make it an angled tweezer with more surface area to grip the flowers. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:25587

This vape, will probably convert me to vaping my medicine full time! I must admit, at first I did run an off-gassing procedure, and there was a hint of that fresh electronics smell and taste, but haven’t noticed anything in the past day – the taste is fantastic. I love this thing so much more than the Easy Vape whip system I have in the basement!

I’m loving the Ascent, I don’t regret my decision at all. This is one of the most beautiful portable vapes on the market from what I found before settling on the Ascent. If you don’t need to hide your portable vape, this is the perfect unit available in this price range.

MrNaturalAZ

Tree hugging dirt worshipper
To comment on the temperature of the exterior of the unit – I would like to run some official tests at some point – but it’s “very warm” around the oven when running it for longer than a few minutes. I expected the unit to be ‘warm’ – but holy crap, it’s more than warm, it’s almost on the verge of ‘too hot to handle for extended periods’ – but only in 2 or 3 places, moving my hand up higher on the device is much cooler in temperature and comfortable to handle. I must admit it felt goooood in my hands at 7am this morning while the temperature inside my house was 51F. I can see some people who are sensitive to heat might be uncomfortable, but for most of us, it should be fine.

I've noticed something about that. It might be my imagination, but it seems to me that with a fresh, full bowl, it seems the outer surface of the housing enclosing the oven doesn't get nearly as hot as it seems to with a spent bowl or a partially filled bowl. I wonder if it has anything to do with the contents absorbing more of the heat when the bowl is full and fresh, while as it gets vaped and dry, or if it isn't full, the heat has to go somewhere, so it heats up the housing more. Or maybe it is just that a fresh, full bowl quickly makes good vapor, but a partial bowl, (or the 2nd or 3rd session on a full bowl) takes more to get it going, and the longer it's on, the warmer it gets as more excess heat leaks to the shell.

Or I'm just imagining it. Perhaps I need to spend some quality time with my Ascent and an IR thermometer? In any case, while it might get a bit hot for some peoples' taste, at no time has mine ever become hot enough to make me doubt its safety.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I've noticed something about that. It might be my imagination, but it seems to me that with a fresh, full bowl, it seems the outer surface of the housing enclosing the oven doesn't get nearly as hot as it seems to with a spent bowl or a partially filled bowl. I wonder if it has anything to do with the contents absorbing more of the heat when the bowl is full and fresh, while as it gets vaped and dry, or if it isn't full, the heat has to go somewhere, so it heats up the housing more. Or maybe it is just that a fresh, full bowl quickly makes good vapor, but a partial bowl, (or the 2nd or 3rd session on a full bowl) takes more to get it going, and the longer it's on, the warmer it gets as more excess heat leaks to the shell.

Or I'm just imagining it. Perhaps I need to spend some quality time with my Ascent and an IR thermometer? In any case, while it might get a bit hot for some peoples' taste, at no time has mine ever become hot enough to make me doubt its safety.

I think it has more to do with the temperature. When I start at 360, it's totally fine, but as I move up in temps, it gets hotter - to that point of almost an annoyingly hot when holding it in those two spots - but shifting your hands slightly changes the temperature drastically into comfort (even enjoyable warmth) - would have been nice to have this all winter long! It would have been an AWESOME handwarmer when shoveling snow, ha ha ha

But I certainly don't consider the heat to be a safety issue whatsoever. I don't believe you could burn yourself with this unit (unless you open the oven too fast!).

Switching topics - my temp gauge bug showed up again this morning - battery low (not very low) - started session at 375F, 5 minutes later, up to 385F. Moved up to 395 a few minutes later, no problems so far. Then when I set the temperature to 400, the temperature stayed at 395... even if I set the temperature again even higher, the temp stays at 395...... I stayed at a setting of 400F for a minute or two for temp to even out (in case it really is heating up to 400 and the screen isn't showing that), then I pressed [menu + down] to turn off heater - the temp gauge stayed at 395 for about a minute before it finally started to drop to 394 and below as it cooled off..... Curious - I have gone up to 430F in the off-gassing, and have hit 400 and 405 a few times with no problem. This still appears to happen at random, the only thing I can find is that it usually happens when I'm already at 380+ and I'm going to a temperature at 395 or higher...

Delta3DStudios,
Reactions: farcus2323
@Ratchett I am actually on my fourth Ascent (3 stealths) this one a excellent Carbon Fiber! I have had same issue occasionally with all 4 units. Even in this new one I just opened on Friday. It's ANNOYING

farcus2323,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
@Ratchett I am actually on my fourth Ascent (3 stealths) this one a excellent Carbon Fiber! I have had same issue occasionally with all 4 units. Even in this new one I just opened on Friday. It's ANNOYING

It's definitely a software bug (in my opinion). Being a programmer, I need to test 2 more conditions:
1) Does the temperature gauge change when you set the temperature BELOW the temperature it's stuck at? (Haven't done that test yet, since I'm finished at that temp, I want to go up, not down!)

2) Is the temp reading stuck, but the oven is reaching the desired temperature? IE - if I set it to 430 after running it at 395 - Will I notice a difference in taste/clouds, even if the unit is still reading 395.

I'm working on a design for a 2-piece 'spacer' in which one spacer goes on the bottom, the herb in the middle, and the other spacer on top. I found a company that 3d prints glass - but I'm afraid to test it out - does anyone have testing equipment to test off-gassing from these 3d printed spacers? I would gladly send you a pair if you could give me a readout from test equipment regarding the off-gassing from the printed parts.......

I'll be posting a few images of my proposed '2 piece spacer' 3D design later today

Delta3DStudios,
Reactions: farcus2323
2 piece spacer would. Be sweet. I have no testing equipment but I wld be more then willing to just flat out try it and let ya know! Haha

farcus2323,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
2 piece spacer would. Be sweet. I have no testing equipment but I wld be more then willing to just flat out try it and let ya know! Haha

Here's a quick mockup of my idea

lJfxp4E.png

Basically I was trying to go for something like a heatsink for CPU's - trying to capture the heat while still promoting airflow. (I think my assembled mockup is upside down, the two openings for air should probably be on the bottom....)

I don't know how easy It would be to make something like this out of glass.... or how it would be to pack - maybe we could have different sizes - tall ones to fill the entire chamber for micro-loads - or small pucks to allow for larger loads while still distributing some heat into the middle of the load.

This was a quick design I came up with, but I think @Davinci_vaporizer should consider a 2-piece spacer.

konekt

Cool. There's a EU source of some high end flowers (Rohr?) drifting around. I didn't pay much attention being a Yank, but perhaps someone has it handy? Several sizes and models IIRC. Attractive, but from here too pricey. FWIW I doubt I've broken two flowers, I handle them gently, never rattle the container, dump the load (with them in it) while still warm and easily pluck the flowers out for reuse.

I agree, tobacco guys aren't at the top of the healthy products list. But there are regulations around products intended for 'human consumption/activities'. No regulations prevent your buying lead based solder and mixing it in the load for instance. But you can no longer use that solder for domestic water systems by law. Regulations offer some protections, but the responsibility is still ours in the end.

A small risk no doubt, but like all risks IMO it should be avoided if possible, and be a calculated one if not?

Thanks.

OF

I am so glad I posted my method on here and got the advice from you. I think the crystal is lead free however so fire polishing methods use a after coating and I don't fancy vaping any of that.

So what you originally said got me thinking:

A. I'm not bothered about a all glass pathway really and too much moaning about that goes on, some people should go back to the 4000 chemicals in combustion if it bothers them so much.

B. Glass is not a good conduction material - which is why it works so well as a mouth peice

I have a new method now which the results have blown my mind. Its cheaper than using any glass screens and due to the character of it I imagine works better, it defo works better than my crystals.

Here it is:

1. Take about 10 standard steel screens
2. fold along into itself so its wrapped into a thin strip
3. Cut in half
4. Take each half and bend over itself in the middle and form nuggets using pliers
5. Heat up in blue flame each nugget to burn off and residues etc

6. Put as many as you wish in bottom of chamber
7. As little or as much herb you require
8. Couple on the top to reduce mess

Viola - Metal spacers nuggets for you Ascent (IMO works better than any glass due to the heat conducting through the chamber better).

Be careful of the sharp bits and try to smooth them of to reduce any scratches damage to your unit.

I'll try and upload a pic but hopefully it makes sense

NB the supplier of the crystal beads has just confirmed those particular ones are lead free, due to the fact the metal spacers work so much better i couldn't really care less anymore....

Last edited:

OF

Viola - Metal spacers nuggets for you Ascent (IMO works better than any glass due to the heat conducting through the chamber better).

Funny world, this. I too tried screens to put 'thermal mass' in the bowl (rather than simply taking up space). It pointed to what I later confirmed was happening with my Thermocouple tests.

SS is actually a poor choice thermally, most any other metal would be better. Very poor thermal conductor compared to say aluminum, silver, copper or alloys like brass. But none are glass.........

So, like most things in life, the glass flowers are a compromise.

It's good, I think, to review how this vape actually works. The highest temperature in the load is just before you start to hit. Even a modest hit pulls more heat from the load than we can afford, and the glass lining i the bowl blocks rapid replacement. Hitting it hard I measured temperature drops over 100F, a true production killer. The solution seems to be storing heat elsewhere on 'the bud side of the liner' before it's needed, with lots of surface area and as much mass as we can spare......the flowers again.

But yes, the 'all glass' part makes it harder for sure. Like the old joke about 'what's gray, has four feet and a pointed nose, weighs about 35 pounds, is made out of concrete and howls at the moon?'

The answer is, of course, "it's a coyote.....I put the concrete part in to make it hard".

Thanks for the post. I too like the metal approach, but suspect we're in the minority.....

OF

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Funny world, this. I too tried screens to put 'thermal mass' in the bowl (rather than simply taking up space). It pointed to what I later confirmed was happening with my Thermocouple tests.

SS is actually a poor choice thermally, most any other metal would be better. Very poor thermal conductor compared to say aluminum, silver, copper or alloys like brass. But none are glass.........

So, like most things in life, the glass flowers are a compromise.

It's good, I think, to review how this vape actually works. The highest temperature in the load is just before you start to hit. Even a modest hit pulls more heat from the load than we can afford, and the glass lining i the bowl blocks rapid replacement. Hitting it hard I measured temperature drops over 100F, a true production killer. The solution seems to be storing heat elsewhere on 'the bud side of the liner' before it's needed, with lots of surface area and as much mass as we can spare......the flowers again.

But yes, the 'all glass' part makes it harder for sure. Like the old joke about 'what's gray, has four feet and a pointed nose, weighs about 35 pounds, is made out of concrete and howls at the moon?'

The answer is, of course, "it's a coyote.....I put the concrete part in to make it hard".

Thanks for the post. I too like the metal approach, but suspect we're in the minority.....

OF

@OF - I can design a spacer in 3D and pay Shapeways to print in metal - I suspect brass would be one of the best ('healthiest') types of metal available to print. The other options include Bonze, stainless steel, silver, and gold plated brass.

According to shapeways website their Brass consists of 15% zinc, 5% tin, and 80% copper.
- I'm more concerned about the binding agent used to hold the powder together before they fire it. Though I suspect any off-gassing would be eliminated in the firing process.....

I really don't like the idea of using metal screens crumbled into a nugget - that just begs to scratch the glass! But a 3d printed part might just work for this application.

Since I'm a vape newb, I'm sure I wouldn't even taste a difference, but I'm still concerned about how safe it is to use inside the oven!

Edit - Here's the page which covers the material - http://www.shapeways.com/materials/brass

It seems they 3D print wax, then cast a plaster mold, then fill the mold with molten brass. Not the cheapest method - but it sounds like it should be pretty food safe - what does everyone else think??

If brass is deemed safe enough, I might design a prototype spacer and order a pair for testing.

Vape 4 Life

Fun, Joy, Happiness & Progress. Cannabis.
I am so glad I posted my method on here and got the advice from you. I think the crystal is lead free however so fire polishing methods use a after coating and I don't fancy vaping any of that.

So what you originally said got me thinking:

A. I'm not bothered about a all glass pathway really and too much moaning about that goes on, some people should go back to the 4000 chemicals in combustion if it bothers them so much.

B. Glass is not a good conduction material - which is why it works so well as a mouth peice

I have a new method now which the results have blown my mind. Its cheaper than using any glass screens and due to the character of it I imagine works better, it defo works better than my crystals.

Here it is:

2. fold along into itself so its wrapped into a thin strip
3. Cut in half
4. Take each half and bend over itself in the middle and form nuggets using pliers
5. Heat up in blue flame each nugget to burn off and residues etc

Be careful of the sharp bits and try to smooth them of to reduce any scratches damage to your unit.

I'll try and upload a pic but hopefully it makes sense

NB the supplier of the crystal beads has just confirmed those particular ones are lead free, due to the fact the metal spacers work so much better i couldn't really care less anymore....

How about some SUS balls? There's ball bearings in our bicycle tire hubs, skate boards......

http://www.craigballsales.com/aisi-440c-stainless-steel-balls-5-32-diameter-lot-of-500.html

My Davinci's oven is SUS304 & I believe the oil cans are as well. This oven is consistently hot even with micro loads.

I hope to receive my replacement Ascent in two weeks & will run some test with metal balls/beads mixed &/or layered in chamber. I'm ok with some safe metals in my Ascent to improve it's output. The glass straw (easy 2 clean) keeps the vapor cool & smooth. So overall a good vaporizer design but needs a little help in the furnace. Some coals mixed with the load.

Toaster ovens heat up bread, left over pizza, etc & usually have a glass window. There's all sorts of metals in food heating applicances.

Metal balls would need an ISO soak and/or burning off any machine oil.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
How about some SUS balls? There's ball bearings in our bicycle tire hubs, skate boards......

http://www.craigballsales.com/aisi-440c-stainless-steel-balls-5-32-diameter-lot-of-500.html

My Davinci's oven is SUS304 & I believe the oil cans are as well. This oven is consistently hot even with micro loads.

I hope to receive my replacement Ascent in two weeks & will run some test with metal balls/beads mixed &/or layered in chamber. I'm ok with some safe metals in my Ascent to improve it's output. The glass straw (easy 2 clean) keeps the vapor cool & smooth. So overall a good vaporizer design but needs a little help in the furnace. Some coals mixed with the load.

Toaster ovens heat up bread, left over pizza, etc & usually have a glass window. There's all sorts of metals in food heating applicances.

Metal balls would need an ISO soak and/or burning off any machine oil.

That's actually not a bad idea. I like it, but will wait to hear back from others. I know stainless steel is not a good conductor of heat. Wonder if there's a similar product in brass or copper...

After researching the cost to print brass from Shapeways, I've modified my 3D print design as a single piece. The idea Is to insert the ground material, then slide this piece on top into the packed bowl. I don't quite know how it would work, but I get the feeling round pegs would work better than my heatsink design for radiating heat into the center of the chamber. I'm open to other suggestions on how I can improve this design - napkin sketches are always welcome.

Here's my 2nd spacer design - single piece this time (should cost around $30 for raw brass (no polished) 3D print
WrA0uCW.png

Vape 4 Life

Fun, Joy, Happiness & Progress. Cannabis.
That's actually not a bad idea. I like it, but will wait to hear back from others. I know stainless steel is not a good conductor of heat. Wonder if there's a similar product in brass or copper...

After researching the cost to print brass from Shapeways, I've modified my 3D print design as a single piece. The idea Is to insert the ground material, then slide this piece on top into the packed bowl. I don't quite know how it would work, but I get the feeling round pegs would work better than my heatsink design for radiating heat into the center of the chamber. I'm open to other suggestions on how I can improve this design - napkin sketches are always welcome.

Here's my 2nd spacer design - single piece this time (should cost around $30 for raw brass (no polished) 3D print
WrA0uCW.png
Found some metal stamping blanks.

http://www.pjtooljewelry.com/stamping-blanks-flowers-nature.aspx

Maybe I'll throw in a few aluminum, brass or copper 5 petal flowers or Maple Leafs.

An aluminum Hummingbird would be fun to throw into the bowl.

Can't wait till my replacement arrives.

My last complaint and oh ya I'm sorry @nigel I didn't meant to be so harsh. Anyway, my last complaint is, my high never last that long, and honestly my herb starts tasting burnt very quickly. I go 2 flowers, herb, flowers,more herb. Slight pack down, 2-3 flowers to top it off. Use 0.5 herb. Start off at 390, for 4 hits, go to 410 for 4 or so, then 430 for rest. Am I overheating? My girlfriend and I usually get 12-14 hits per session, using my method described and around 0.5-0.7g of herb. Is this normal? What can I do different? I feel that my session are too quick, herb doesn't taste good for more then 4 hits, and high doesn't last that long. I am afraid if I go lower temperatures I won't get any vapor, I like vapor and my GF is a huge fan.

farcus2323,
Reactions: nigel
Top Bottom