Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

thesoloman

Here's an article on off gassing silicone https://imageserv5.team-logic.com/mediaLibrary/99/Outgassing_20of_20Silicone_20Elastomers.pdf
Edit: it seems that offgassing is usually caused by poor curing of the rubber compound
"Insufficient or poor post cure can result in a reduction in strength, elongation, and compression set properties accompanied by chemical decomposition, as well as “smoke,” bubbling, delamination, and unsightly sticky surface deposits."

Edit: I wonder what would happen if an Ascent was thrown into a vacuum chamber and degassed. (now on to the how to properly purge your Ascent thread lol jk)

Last edited:

thedanks

Quick question for those of you experiencing the off-gassing. Did you all wipe down the Ascent with alcohol before use? Just wondering if the cause is not cleaning pre session? Still debating about reordering one after I cancelled my preorder...
i wiped down according to the instructions, yes

thedanks,
Reactions: EdE80

lwien

:myday:
Aside from cosmetic issues -- poor gluing, scratched LED, and misfitted parts -- I'm impressed by its overall design.

So, in other words, you're impressed with the design, but not the implementation of the design?

I don't understand the need for huge clouds either.

Because huge clouds are fun AND they give some visual reinforcement of what you are doing. For me, I willingly gave up some conservation with my PD to be able to see those HUGE clouds from my LSV.

max

Out to lunch
does anyone here think my video showing the off-gassing isn't something people that are currently using this thing should be seeing?
You mean the video in your post on page 65? Are you referring to the fact that the video link was removed from your quoted post by another member? We often remove quoted vids and pics, since they don't need to be posted multiple times. Since you just joined today I guess you're not aware of that. You are aware of our rules on company and product bashing though, since I've informed you. You've made no posts anywhere but in this thread, and we don't allow registrations for the sole purpose of company/product bashing. Please move on to other threads and topics or take your crusade to other forums. Saying "this company sucks" in your first post puts you in dangerous territory.

Reveen

Because huge clouds are fun AND they give some visual reinforcement of what you are doing. For me, I willingly gave up some conservation with my PD to be able to see those HUGE clouds from my LSV.

I understand that. I suppose it boils down to differences preference.

Reveen,

Stthings

Here's an article on off gassing silicone https://imageserv5.team-logic.com/mediaLibrary/99/Outgassing_20of_20Silicone_20Elastomers.pdf
Edit: it seems that offgassing is usually caused by poor curing of the rubber compound

Is there anything to remedy it? My Ascent works like a champ. I get fantastic draws and it does the job it was made to do. But, I'm not going to risk my lung's health and getting some sort of shit silicon chemical in my body because DaVinci failed to produce a safe unit. Obviously, if this off-gassing is non-harmless, or if it can be fixed, i won't refund it. However, if this is a serious health concern, you can be sure as hell I'll return it.

lwien

I understand that. I suppose it boils down to differences preference.

I also get higher, quicker when producing those clouds, so for me, it is far from a waste of bud. But yeah, it's all personal preference. For me, if a vape can't produce clouds, it's not a vape that I would want to use.

My LSV really spoiled me in this regard (thanks Sticks). I know that I shouldn't expect this kind of performance from any portable, but I would expect at least half of that performance.

thedanks

Many people like me have been reading this forum for years without posting. Its the reason I have bought any vape. So even though I have not posted I still feel to be a member of this community even though I haven't necessarily contributed.

Davinci has put out two vapes though and some of us are feeling pretty burned right now and for that apparently I have to apologize... I guess its my bad. shame on me. what is the saying. fool me once?

thedanks,

Pappy

shmaporist
So, in other words, you're impressed with the design, but not the implementation of the design?

Yes, am impressed by the revolving hinge bowl and the glass screen and straw system. Also like the ease of cleaning and the reduction in removable parts. Its Achilles Heel is the minuscule airway of the glass screen IMO, it should be triple the width or more! I like this vape on paper but it doesn't work for me in practice.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Many people like me have been reading this forum for years without posting. Its the reason I have bought any vape. So even though I have not posted I still feel to be a member of this community even though I haven't necessarily contributed.

Davinci has put out two vapes though and some of us are feeling pretty burned right now and for that apparently I have to apologize... I guess its my bad. shame on me. what is the saying. fool me once?

If you feel like a member of this community then you should understand it better, particularly the part where debating a moderator about a staff decision can get you into trouble.

Nobody asked you to apologize. You were told to stop bashing. Our policy (which you should already know as a long-time lurker) is that you get to state your complaint once and then move on. You don't get to repeat it over and over.

Yes, am impressed by the revolving hinge bowl and the glass screen and straw system. Also like the ease of cleaning and the reduction in removable parts. Its Achilles Heel is the minuscule airway of the glass screen IMO, it should be triple the width or more! I like this vape on paper but it doesn't work for me in practice.

So you feel that DV designed the Ascent without considering any other air path? I know you have enough experience to understand that more air flow means more cooling and higher air to vapour ratio. Wasn't your complaint wispy vapor?

Last edited:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
I don't understand the need for huge clouds either. Hasn't it been proven that blowing out huge clouds on exhale is a waste of vapor? I can get clouds if I want to, but I feel its a bit of a waste. I prefer to sip on it for a minute or two. It definitely does the trick for me and gets me where I want to be. I honestly couldn't be happier with my Ascent. I do feel for you folks that do have defective units though . . . that is not acceptable and hopefully Davinci will right the situation.
I'd rather have a vape that produces good thick vapor, and then back off if I want less. True, that all vapor needn't be all that dense to render an effect, but at these purported temps, thicker clouds are a proven fact among many other vapes. Why should the Ascent be any different? I am not suggesting here that the Ascent, with proper technique, isn't a vapor champ. Some here are satisfied cloud chasers, granted. That speaks well for the capability of the Ascent in the right hands. I'm sure others will catch on as their technique improves.

Cillerix

@Stthings my bad "terrible" was pretty vague. The old solo model's had a ceramic heating element that was very prone to chipping and IMO had a bad smell/taste. When i heat the ascent up i get the same sort of chemical smell (not even close to as much but still noticeably present if you put your nose right up to the bowl). I contacted DV by email and requested a refund as i don't see the purpose in vaping with a device that is potentially causing harm.

@EdE80 I cleaned the glass vapor path with iso then used an iso qtip to basically clean the entire inside of the vape when i first got the device. i didnt notice any strange smells until this morning and they are very minor so im going to give it another full cleaning and report back

Cillerix,
Reactions: EdE80

Reveen

I also get higher, quicker when producing those clouds, so for me, it is far from a waste of bud. But yeah, it's all personal preference. For me, if a vape can't produce clouds, it's not a vape that I would want to use.

My LSV really spoiled me in this regard (thanks Sticks). I know that I shouldn't expect this kind of performance from any portable, but I would expect at least half of that performance.

I guess I'm the opposite and I don't like to get high too fast, I like to ease myself into it a bit. I'd rather sip on a vape over a period of a few minutes that have a really strong hit or two in less than a minute . . . its probably just my way to manage my dosage because I have such a low tolerance. I can go from high to "too high" very easily so I have to watch myself! :freak:

Reveen,
Reactions: nigel

grokit

well-worn member
"There are many special grades and forms of silicone rubber, including: steam resistant, metal detectable, high tear strength, extreme high temperature, extreme low temperature, electrically conductive, chemical/oil/acid/gas resistant, low smoke emitting, and flame-retardant. A variety of fillers can be used in silicone rubber...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_silicone_rubber#Special_grades

Stthings

@Stthings my bad "terrible" was pretty vague. The old solo model's had a ceramic heating element that was very prone to chipping and IMO had a bad smell/taste. When i heat the ascent up i get the same sort of chemical smell (not even close to as much but still noticeably present if you put your nose right up to the bowl). I contacted DV by email and requested a refund as i don't see the purpose in vaping with a device that is potentially causing harm.

@EdE80 I cleaned the glass vapor path with iso then used an iso qtip to basically clean the entire inside of the vape when i first got the device. i didnt notice any strange smells until this morning and they are very minor so im going to give it another full cleaning and report back

It's a tough decision. I have no idea whether to return it or not. I don't want something harming my health. Otherwise, it's been making pretty good clouds for me at least

Edit: Has anyone considered the off-gassing vapor to just be heated air? That's probably really stupid of an idea, but is it possible that the gas is just air that is being drawn through and being heated?

Last edited:

Skulduggery

Quick question for those of you experiencing the off-gassing. Did you all wipe down the Ascent with alcohol before use? Just wondering if the cause is not cleaning pre session? Still debating about reordering one after I cancelled my preorder...

Yes i did with white vinegar and ISO. However, I just did the same test that TheSoloMan did in his flashlight video, and OMG, I have the SAME burn off! This is NOT GOOD and extremely disappointed because I did love this AScent. The burn off smells like silicone rubber too, and because i opened the bottom during the cook, this burnoff must be coming from the rubber behind the grill. I've used the ascent 5-6 times and this mystery smoke is burning a constant stream. Man, this worries me. It's not pure vapor stream, it's a vapor stream mixed with burning silicone rubber that is located under the bowl.

This breaks my heart, but I can't risk my health with this ASCENT (fuck! cos I loved it). It's a STEALTH that was produced without any flaws. Time to look at DV's return policy....(double fuck!!!!!---waiting so long and I thought the dream was realized.)

lwien

I guess I'm the opposite and I don't like to get high too fast, I like to ease myself into it a bit. I'd rather sip on a vape over a period of a few minutes that have a really strong hit or two in less than a minute . . . its probably just my way to manage my dosage because I have such a low tolerance. I can go from high to "too high" very easily so I have to watch myself! :freak:

Ok, I know this is getting off topic, but it still could provide some useful input to those considering a vape that "may" produce much less vapor than some may desire.

My tolerance and conservation has got to be one of the lowest here at FC. A gram lasts me about a month and half (vaping every night with my PD, and every other night with my LSV). For me, with most all strains, hitting the LSV and producing HUGE vapor clouds, it still takes about 15 minutes to get the full effect after taking two hits (the bud that I use is the best that is available here). The only strain that came on within minutes was the Tahoe OG I got awhile back.

But yeah, after taking 2 hits from a cloud producer, I have to MAKE myself wait about 15 minutes before deciding if I should take a 3rd hit. Most all of the time, I don't need to take that additional hit.

Believe me, I understand taking small hits. My PD was my vape of choice for about 4 years, but then came those clouds and I got spoiled really quick.

I should be receiving my Ascent in a few weeks, possibly a month. DV said that she wanted to fulfill all the pre-orders first before she sent mine out, which is totally understandable. Mine could be from a second production run, and if so, I'll report back how it goes. Anxiously awaiting.........

grokit

well-worn member
I am due to go pick mine up in an hour and I am also having reservations about potential toxicity. I will clean it and heat it up empty; if it produces smoke briefly and stops I will try it out when my herb reserves have been replenished. If I cannot get it to stop producing this smoke (or if it's seriously messed up cosmetically), I will request an RMA number.

It would be nice if Davinci could make a statement about the specifications of the silicon that they used, and also about how much control can be exercised at "their" factory in china when enforcing/qc'ing/confirming that these specifications were conformed to.

Last edited:
grokit,
Reactions: Hexi

Pappy

shmaporist
So you feel that DV designed the Ascent without considering any other air path? I know you have enough experience to understand that more air flow means more cooling and higher air to vapour ratio. Wasn't your complaint wispy vapor?
The inner straw couldn't be narrower if they tried. Just sucking through it (outside of the unit) demonstrates how restricted it is -- it's silly narrow! Unless DV wan't to market this as the "Sipper's Vaporless Vape" that's definitely the first area I'd address to improve performance. Yes, every action has a corollary, so accommodations would have to be made to heat the wider airway. But as things stand now I don't consider this vape practical.

Pappy,

mewash2

The inner straw couldn't be narrower if they tried. Just sucking through it (outside of the unit) demonstrates how restricted it is -- it's silly narrow! Unless DV wan't to market this as the "Sipper's Vaporless Vape" that's definitely the first area I'd address to improve performance. Yes, every action has a corollary, so accommodations would have to be made to heat the wider airway. But as things stand now I don't consider this vape practical.
I couldn't disagree more. If anything a little less airflow would improve the performance IMO.

Cillerix

I couldn't disagree more. If anything a little less airflow would improve the performance IMO.
I dont think airflow is the problem. IMO its the size of the bowl that is causing the wispy hits, it seems like there is so much extra room in the vape that the bud is flying around and not getting any conduction properties. I notice when i stamp and i mean STAMP the bud down it produces big clouds but as soon as i pull the bud off of the bottom of the chamber is gets wispy. There needs to be some way to keep the herb compressed in the chamber without packing like .8-1G of medicine at a time

grokit

well-worn member
Refunds are good, but if davinci has batches of toxic off-gassing ascents that sub-par silicone was used in, they need to identify and recall those batches asap or they will not recover what's left of their image.

DV USA, it may be time to book some flights across the pacific and find out wtf is going on!

Top Bottom