Aromazap/Myrtlezap/CeramicRockZap

the ob

all good in the hood.
momofthegoons said:
These are too cool. I like them all. I do think my favorite is the one Zaplady has her sights set on. But the shapes are great. What kinds of wood are these Rick?

And look at those SS tips! I'll tell you what; the moss isn't growing under Rick's feet these days. One new thing after another!

all of this. love the mushroom.

the ob,

the ob

all good in the hood.
question for everyone. I already asked Rick, but would like other opinions.

I soaked my glass stems and now there is water stuck in the space near the tips. I have put them outside and also stood them up all night hoping the water would come out but it has not.

Rick suggested getting compressed air and blowing it through, but I do not have any available.

anyone have other solutions?

the ob,

RumbleShorts

the ob said:
question for everyone. I already asked Rick, but would like other opinions.

I soaked my glass stems and now there is water stuck in the space near the tips. I have put them outside and also stood them up all night hoping the water would come out but it has not.

Rick suggested getting compressed air and blowing it through, but I do not have any available.

anyone have other solutions?

OB,
Hair dryer? Leave them sitting on the Zap for a few minutes? Tie a string around the end and spin them... let Centrifugal force work it's magic?

Rick,
Those samples look incredible... Did I understand you correctly? Someone else turned them? Is this a one off effort? For selfish reasons I almost hope so... I like the idea of my Zap being handmade by you. In fact, that's part of the description I gave everyone while showing off my myrtle. For your business, I can understand sub-contracting that portion out but, it would change the Zap story.
On the other hand, it would make those units that have been "turned by Rick" all the more special and collectable. I know that I would like the "turned by Rick" stamp on mine :)

RumbleShorts,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Shopvac
Use one hand cupped around mouth end, in the shopvac wand...
Then use free hand to "tap tap tap" against stem end(that has tip removed)

You'll be dry in no time.
(you can suck the other way too- I have best luck in that direction)
If it is a carb tootie, manipulate/stop flow through that hole too.

Vitolo,

Nycdeisel

Damn, I really need to get one of those shop vacs, so many great uses for all my vapor related tools and items ;)

Nycdeisel,

psyshaman

Vapor Viking
Just picked up my RockZap from the post office.. This thing is beautiful!!!
I will post pictures soon, it's currently heating up for it's first test drive
In the mean time I'm giving her older sister the Walnut Brassy some love before rocking out.
I have an awesome looking knot on the front of my myrtle RockZap and can't wait to see what happens to the grain after some polish action!

psyshaman,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
ob, I've had the best results with a hair dryer when I don't have a can of air around. Otherwise, it's just a waiting game until it dries.

I also like the red/orange toned Zap, Vito. Very pretty color of wood.

momofthegoons,

Rick

Zapman
RumbleShorts
Thank you for the kind words regarding me turning the wood. What you see are examples of different Zap styles that can be made using the process we now use on the lathe. These were done by the person who is teaching me lots of new things with wood and stainless and business. He is a very special person with much talent in different areas and very exciting life experiences. To have a unit turned by him is extra special in my book but this will be over before we know it. He will be off to another project and AZ will be memories. He is doing this as a teacher and soon the student will be on his own. I am trying to catch up on traditional top install log orders during my work day so am very happy to have some of the new stuff coming out at the same time.
We have a couple fired for testing since last night. So far, so good. I was a bit concerned about the wood as the wood 'body' around the Zap SSS 'engine' is fairly thin walled on some of the pictured units. Fine this morning with no cracks, nice and warm to hold and very nice clouds. The wood used on all the units was bone dry which means as stable as wood gets. Some Cherry, Elm, Maple, Walnut and others. With wood density and mass not a major issue on the insulated Zaps, a much broader world of wood is open to us.
psyshaman, good to see the quick arrival in Oz. This is something we normally do not do but the pleas from an old customer got to us.
As I said yesterday, the units shown are available if anyone is interested. I will offer them well below our planned target price point for similar Zaps since we are still in some kind of prototype mode at this time. Email me if interested. They are not available from the website as I have not yet started that re-work.
rockzapsnstuff.jpg

And the 'orange/reddish' piece is plain maple with a food safe red dye splattered around it, like an artist would do it..........

Rick,

the ob

all good in the hood.
Vitolo said:
Shopvac
Use one hand cupped around mouth end, in the shopvac wand...
Then use free hand to "tap tap tap" against stem end(that has tip removed)

You'll be dry in no time.
(you can suck the other way too- I have best luck in that direction)
If it is a carb tootie, manipulate/stop flow through that hole too.

so I found that just sucking on the end worked for all except one.

I still have one ( the newest one) that I do not seem to get the water out.

the ob,

Vitolo

Vaporist
play with angles of suction, and alter angles of "closure" on the non suction end.
Time is all that will help this... and time spent with air whirling around it is faster than time without.
You can always soak it in 91% Iso, and shopvac it.... the moisture once combined with the Iso will evap faster!
OR...
maybe now it's time to give mom's hairdryer a turn at this project! :lol:

Vitolo,

BluntMonger

if you get a chance Rick I also sent you an email I was wondering if you could do anything to help me out details in the email.

BluntMonger,

the ob

all good in the hood.
I am assuming these units all have the new everything installed including the new bottoms?

the ob,

the ob

all good in the hood.
momofthegoons said:
which one ob? ;)

i am afraid to tell you, you might want it :lol:

the cherry in the middle with the two finger grooves. or three depending on how you describe it.

a couple are a little to phallic for me, but not that one....

the ob,

the ob

all good in the hood.
I guess that one is spoken for already. oh well.

why do I feel like mom grabbed that one :cool: or vitolo?

the ob,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
:lol: Wasn't me ob. That was a real beauty though and I have a feeling that if you want one like that, it's yours for the asking. Shot Rick an email....

momofthegoons,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Rick said:
.......And the 'orange/reddish' piece is plain maple with a food safe red dye splattered around it, like an artist would do it..........
Keep guessing ob! :cool:
My choice is an unusual one. I considered it the most "Retro". I felt that were I back in the late 50's now... the one I chose would considered "like.. crazy man!".. a real "groovie" piece of art! (literally & figuratively!)

Vitolo,

Rick

Zapman
bluntmonger
Answered your Email. Sorry for the delay getting back.
ob, "everything new installed, including new bottoms"? No new bottoms that I am aware of. Everything is INSTALLED from the bottom, if that is what you mean. The one you thought was cherry was the red dyed maple.
Out to the shop. We will get caught up on lots of small orders today and several traditional log Zaps will ship.

We are interested in comments on the styles. Too Phallic? Not Phallic enough? Too many lines? Smoother lines? Color?(several like the 'red' one). Any opinions would be appreciated.
I do have a name for one style that may fit. "The Zappyness"

Rick,

the ob

all good in the hood.
Hmmm.
I am not sure then. I know I cant have it. I like the idea of getting one with finger grooves. I would like a cherry as well and I do not own one. that is not cherry, but I would like one like it in cherry.

someday :)

the ob,

the ob

all good in the hood.
One definitely looks like a you know what (yes I still act like I am six years old). I hope I did not offend as that was not my intention.

As I said, I love the idea of ones that have finger grooves so holding it is comfortable.

the ob,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I like:
-Less phallic
-smooth lines
-soft, dulled "edges"
-maybe less lines.... all of this will make a more "continuous " look
The reason I loved the orange/red one.. is that it besides being "retro", displayed the most continuity artistically speaking.
That did the most for me as for smooth form, and "visual closure"
The shroom did the same for my eye as far as visual closure, but the actual edges were too "sharp" for my eye.. (like the lip of a "pagoda".. on the "downstroke")

EDIT:
Although I chose orange/red from the units in the image.. I think in general the natural woods look best.
That is not to, say that many may find the colors appealing.
I "fell" for the orange/red one.. because.. I am an eccentric and quirky!
From my heart.... I love the original Zap form the best.. Natural woods.. with a cylindrical basis, and
variations on the cylinder using "unsharp" angles (I found this on the dyed piece in shape)
This is all just from my "hearts eye".. I am sure you will see varying thoughts..
Beauty is after all in the eye... ;)

Vitolo,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I'm not sure what it says about me that I liked the "phallic" one.... :lol: The Zappyness....too funny!

I will say that the only one that did not appeal to me was the one made from the lightest color wood. It wasn't the color of the wood that wasn't appealing; more the shape. All of the other models are really nice. And I like that a food safe dye can be used to change up the color of a "plain" wood.

momofthegoons,

the ob

all good in the hood.
momofthegoons said:
I'm not sure what it says about me that I liked the "phallic" one.... :lol: The Zappyness....too funny!

I love the wood on that one. Oh, god here we go.

I am not sure what that says about you either :lol: leaving that one alone. I am sure I opened a can of worms with my comment already.

the ob,
Top Bottom