Arizer XQ2

daoist

I have four vaporizers. The Mighty, the Extreme Q, the Herborizer XL and the Herborizer Ti.
I think the herborizers give the best vape taste that i have experienced yet. The EQ with glass screens actually produces pretty impressive tasty vape (and smoother too).. I really can clearly notice the difference between standard dome screen and the Arizers glass filtered whips/elbows.

The mighty is my least favorite vaporizer because it gives the least flavour, plus this is just not the right style of vaping for me because the mighty makes me feel i have to finish it quick. I still use it sometimes, but not as much as my herborizer and my EQ.

So i have actually high opinions on the EQ flavour wise. you just gotta ditch all the metal screens. the glass filter/screens are from Arizer. no need to hunt it down in China or something.

products-en-arizer-extreme-q-glass-mini-whip-with-glass-screen.jpg

products-en-olive-with-glass-screen.jpg

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
so i actually was indeed saying that the balloon has better vapor taste than with the metal screen.
I do not think the screen material would make any difference to a plastic bag...it is a plastic bag that most say is less than great, glad it works for you.

daoist

The screen material make a big difference. Glass is really the best you can have flavourwise.
metal screens are probably easier to clean though. I own both those glass screened arizer parts, so i have compared.

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
I got my XQ2 this afternoon.
Same size as the original EQ.
Isolated airpath (it's written on the box) and replaceable filters are nice upgrades.
The new bowl need more testing, you can flip it to have the glass screen closer or further from the heater to have more vapor or more taste.
You can preset three temps with the remote.
The new tuff bowl grip they sell for the bowl are nice and they fit on my DDave bowl too.
Too soon for any vapor comparison but my first bowl was pretty good.

The Chemist

The Arizer EQ was the second vape I owned and the one that made me fall in love with vaping. I haven't touched it for the last three years but recently I wanted to have a vape on the nightstand in my bedroom and thought about the EQ but decided against it because of the electronics in the airpath.
Fast forward a couple of days later and the XQ2 was announced so I decided to get one.

The XQ2 is the same size as the EQ and the build of the unit feel like a quality product. The EQ was good quality but the new one is a step above.

So far the heater on the XQ2 seems to behave a lot like the old one.
Same heat up time, same production of vapor, the taste of the vapor could be better but it's not a bad or harsh tasting vapor.
I leave the vape on all day (you can't feel any heat on the outside) so I don't know how long to heat soak the vape before taking the first hit.
On the box they only talk about the new re-engineered and optimized airflow, no talk about a new or improved heater.
The new isolated airpath and the new replaceable air filters are the big difference in the XQ2, for some people who need to use the vape regularly for medical reason this is a big change.
I knew there was no way they would release a new version of this vape without an isolated airpath since it was one of the most obvious problem with the EQ but I'm pleasantly surprised about the air filter.

The fan is a bit less noisy but I didn't notice a significant difference in the speed it takes to fill up a bag.
I just filled an empty bag to test it, it took about 85-90 seconds for both bags to fill at the fastest setting.
Speaking of bags, the new connector is simple, it's easy to assemble a new bag and it works, the new silicone cap is a nice addition too for keeping the vapor in the bag and keeping the glass connection clean.

The remote now offer the option to preset three temps to use with the vape.
You can also power the vape on, control the speed of the fan, use the auto-off timer, control the audio/beep and the LED lights.

The color changing lights in the base are fun, not too bright and you can see the light shine thru the top of the vape and thru the bowl.
You can change the colors, have them cycle every 2 seconds or close them all (you can't close the screen completely on the vape when in use).
The vape also have what they call Dynamic mode, in this mode the lights are used to tell the state of the vape.
So it will pulse yellow to orange during heat up, blink green twice when the temp is reach. Pulse purple when the fan is in use and pulse cyan when the vape is cooling down.

The XQ2 now comes with the new Glass Connoisseur Bowl, this bowl is the old Cyclone Bowl of the EQ with a glass screen.
This glass screen is off center in the bowl so you can now flip it to have the herb closer or further from the heater for more vapor or more taste.
I leave mine with the herb closer to the heater, when I draw the herb gets suck up and comes down when I'm done, no need to stir that way.
With the glass screen you need to use whole nugs or grind your herb coarsely.
I used the Brilliant Cut Grinder with the coarse plate but I still have some herb on the heater when I remove the bowl, not a lot, but the herb will find a way to get on the heater.
I'm gonna try with a metal screen in the bowl to see if it's less dirty and if it change the vapor.
The new bowl also comes with Tuff BowlGrips, it's the silicone sleeve that goes on top of the bowl to protect your fingers from the heat.
The good news is that they fit on female 18mm joints so they can be used on the DDave bowl.
They are good enough to let you handle the hot bowl for a couple of seconds before it gets too much for comfort.

Speaking of DDave, you can't have a conversation about the EQ without talking about the DDave mod and the improvement it does to the vape.

I only had the vape for two days so I can't do a real comparison, EQ vs XQ2, Cyclone vs Connoisseur vs DDave bowls, I don't think I would be able to type much of a review after that.
After I ordered the XQ2 I dusted off the EQ and used it for three days before my new vape arrived. I went back to using the DDave mod since I never used the cyclone bowl anyway. I use the vape with the whip going into a water pipe.
When I got the XQ2 I used the Connoisseur bowl without a metal screen inside and I also had an elbow adapter with the glass screen so I decided to go all glass on the XQ2, and it was a mistake.
The glass screen of the elbow adapter got more and more plugged up and I didn't notice until yesterday so my results are not good anymore.
The big difference I got was the airflow so I got back to using the elbow adapter with the metal basket that comes with the XQ2.
At the end of the day the difference is the airflow, it always was.
The DDave mod brought the herb closer to the heater but it also opened up the airflow a lot with the EQ.
Since the EQ and the XQ2 seems so close in performance the big difference is the bowl and the airflow it create.
DDave have the most open airflow followed by the Connoisseur and the Cyclone is last.
I did swap the three bowls between the two vapes and compared the airflow with an empty bowl.
I also hit a couple of bowls mixing the two vapes and the Connoisseur bowl with the DDave bowl.
I don't recall a lot of difference between them.
The DDave bowl was always the best (open airflow and cloud density) but the Connoisseur bowl would produce good vapor on both vapes.

I might change my mind on this but so far I think I can use the XQ2 right out of the box and be satisfied compared with the EQ that need the DDave mod to make it work.
Right now I don't mind the airflow of the XQ2 with the connoisseur bowl, with the herb closer to the heater I get good vapor and I get medicated. The whole reason I got this vape is to have a vape on my nightstand to get me back to sleep if I wake up at 2a.m. and it get's the job done so I'm happy.

Bottom line the EQ by Arizer was always a very good vape for the price, a vape that would give you the opportunity to try different methods of vaping and would get you medicated.
It wasn't the tastiest vapor and the clouds weren't as dense as they could but it worked well and with the DDave mod the vape would show it's true potential.
This was the vape I would recommend to someone looking for their first desktop vape, the only problem was the non isolated airpath.
Now the XQ2 takes care of that problem and even add replaceable filters into the mix.
It's a bit more expensive but it's a better product and still a good deal for the price.
This is the best vape to start your way into the world of vaping, after you can still get better, bigger and more expensive vapes but you don't need to.

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
The Arizer EQ was the second vape I owned and the one that made me fall in love with vaping. I haven't touched it for the last three years but recently I wanted to have a vape on the nightstand in my bedroom and thought about the EQ but decided against it because of the electronics in the airpath.
Fast forward a couple of days later and the XQ2 was announced so I decided to get one.

The XQ2 is the same size as the EQ and the build of the unit feel like a quality product. The EQ was good quality but the new one is a step above.

Same heat up time, same production of vapor, the taste of the vapor could be better but it's not a bad or harsh tasting vapor.
I leave the vape on all day (you can't feel any heat on the outside) so I don't know how long to heat soak the vape before taking the first hit.
On the box they only talk about the new re-engineered and optimized airflow, no talk about a new or improved heater.
The new isolated airpath and the new replaceable air filters are the big difference in the XQ2, for some people who need to use the vape regularly for medical reason this is a big change.
I knew there was no way they would release a new version of this vape without an isolated airpath since it was one of the most obvious problem with the EQ but I'm pleasantly surprised about the air filter.

The fan is a bit less noisy but I didn't notice a significant difference in the speed it takes to fill up a bag.
I just filled an empty bag to test it, it took about 85-90 seconds for both bags to fill at the fastest setting.
Speaking of bags, the new connector is simple, it's easy to assemble a new bag and it works, the new silicone cap is a nice addition too for keeping the vapor in the bag and keeping the glass connection clean.

You can also power the vape on, control the speed of the fan, use the auto-off timer, control the audio/beep and the LED lights.

The color changing lights in the base are fun, not too bright and you can see the light shine thru the top of the vape and thru the bowl.
You can change the colors, have them cycle every 2 seconds or close them all (you can't close the screen completely on the vape when in use).
The vape also have what they call Dynamic mode, in this mode the lights are used to tell the state of the vape.
So it will pulse yellow to orange during heat up, blink green twice when the temp is reach. Pulse purple when the fan is in use and pulse cyan when the vape is cooling down.

The XQ2 now comes with the new Glass Connoisseur Bowl, this bowl is the old Cyclone Bowl of the EQ with a glass screen.
This glass screen is off center in the bowl so you can now flip it to have the herb closer or further from the heater for more vapor or more taste.
I leave mine with the herb closer to the heater, when I draw the herb gets suck up and comes down when I'm done, no need to stir that way.
I used the Brilliant Cut Grinder with the coarse plate but I still have some herb on the heater when I remove the bowl, not a lot, but the herb will find a way to get on the heater.
I'm gonna try with a metal screen in the bowl to see if it's less dirty and if it change the vapor.
The new bowl also comes with Tuff BowlGrips, it's the silicone sleeve that goes on top of the bowl to protect your fingers from the heat.
The good news is that they fit on female 18mm joints so they can be used on the DDave bowl.
They are good enough to let you handle the hot bowl for a couple of seconds before it gets too much for comfort.

Speaking of DDave, you can't have a conversation about the EQ without talking about the DDave mod and the improvement it does to the vape.

I only had the vape for two days so I can't do a real comparison, EQ vs XQ2, Cyclone vs Connoisseur vs DDave bowls, I don't think I would be able to type much of a review after that.
After I ordered the XQ2 I dusted off the EQ and used it for three days before my new vape arrived. I went back to using the DDave mod since I never used the cyclone bowl anyway. I use the vape with the whip going into a water pipe.
When I got the XQ2 I used the Connoisseur bowl without a metal screen inside and I also had an elbow adapter with the glass screen so I decided to go all glass on the XQ2, and it was a mistake.
The glass screen of the elbow adapter got more and more plugged up and I didn't notice until yesterday so my results are not good anymore.
The big difference I got was the airflow so I got back to using the elbow adapter with the metal basket that comes with the XQ2.
The DDave mod brought the herb closer to the heater but it also opened up the airflow a lot with the EQ.
Since the EQ and the XQ2 seems so close in performance the big difference is the bowl and the airflow it create.
DDave have the most open airflow followed by the Connoisseur and the Cyclone is last.
I did swap the three bowls between the two vapes and compared the airflow with an empty bowl.
I also hit a couple of bowls mixing the two vapes and the Connoisseur bowl with the DDave bowl.
The DDave bowl was always the best (open airflow and cloud density) but the Connoisseur bowl would produce good vapor on both vapes.

I might change my mind on this but so far I think I can use the XQ2 right out of the box and be satisfied compared with the EQ that need the DDave mod to make it work.
Right now I don't mind the airflow of the XQ2 with the connoisseur bowl, with the herb closer to the heater I get good vapor and I get medicated. The whole reason I got this vape is to have a vape on my nightstand to get me back to sleep if I wake up at 2a.m. and it get's the job done so I'm happy.

Bottom line the EQ by Arizer was always a very good vape for the price, a vape that would give you the opportunity to try different methods of vaping and would get you medicated.
It wasn't the tastiest vapor and the clouds weren't as dense as they could but it worked well and with the DDave mod the vape would show it's true potential
This was the vape I would recommend to someone looking for their first desktop vape, the only problem was the non isolated airpath.
Now the XQ2 takes care of that problem and even add replaceable filters into the mix.
It's a bit more expensive but it's a better product and still a good deal for the price.
This is the best vape to start your way into the world of vaping, after you can still get better, bigger and more expensive vapes but you don't need to.

EXCELLENT review!
Better then paid influencers reviews. Instead of a quick “like”, I wanted to THANK YOU for taking your own time to write it up and post it. I’m just following this new version thread as I’m happy to see Arizer coming out with a new EQ, I’m fine with my previous model. You also SAVED me some $$, as I’m no longer interested in the new Conn. bowl. Still LOVE and use all my DDave mods and tools.

Thanks again, you showed how to review a product properly!

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast

It wasn't the tastiest vapor and the clouds weren't as dense as they could but it worked well and with the DDave mod the vape would show it's true potential
Great review, this seems good enough for a Christmas gift. If they had upgraded the heater I would be gifting one to myself

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
damn @The Chemist nice review !!!!! great amount of detail! this one really sounds good and I've always been interested in the eq but that non isolated air path always kept me away as well as the necessary Ddave mods which would be a international order, but I kind of always regretted not getting one. not sure I'll jump on this one either but it is tempting.

I used the Brilliant Cut Grinder with the coarse plate but I still have some herb on the heater when I remove the bowl
I really like my BCG course plate but the grind can vary depending on the structure of the buds, what you want is something with big calyx's for the course plate to do the best job. highly recommend trying some Broken Coast cannabis if you haven't yet, big buds with huge calyx's the biggest I've come across and their curing process works magic. its all good but for indica try Frost Monster and Pie in the sky for sativa. not sure if its available recreational in Quebec where you are? but its available medical from Aphria

The Chemist

Thank you for the good words, you guys made my day! :)

@Bad Dog Thanks for the suggestion, I looked and Broken coast is available in Quebec but none of the strain you talked about are.
I'm gonna give the other strains a try for sure, it's a bit more expensive but if the quality is there, I'm interested.

After spending more time with the XQ2 I think the heater is better than the one in the EQ but not by much.
I don't know if it's because it's a new unit and I got my EQ in 2017 or maybe the new isolated airpath help to contain the heat and direct it to the bowl better.
I'm really curious if the heater is new or if it's the same thing but with little differences.
I feel I get a better extraction when I use the XQ2 regardless of the bowl I use.

I should maybe tell you that I leave the empty bowl on the heater with the elbow adapter on all the time and only take it off to fill it or empty it so if you don't get good results try heat soaking the bowl before.

Speaking of bowls I decided to dust off the Cyclone bowl and do a real comparison with the Connoisseur and the DDave bowls.

The Cyclone bowl doesn't work, it's the weak point of the EQ, and it's not working better on the XQ2.
The screen is too high and the glass lip that support the screen restrict the airflow while creating a zone where the herb doesn't get in contact with the hot air.
This means not a lot of vapor is created and I absolutely need to stir after each puff.
It's frustrating because I have to inhale for a long time and I don't get a lot of vapor in return.

The Connoisseur bowl works really well on both vapes.
The glass screen does restrict the airflow more than the Cyclone but the airflow is more even.
I decided to use a metal screen in the bowl because I had too much herb falling on the heater and the smell of burning weed was too noticeable.

When I use the bowl with the glass screen in Cloud mode (close to the heater) I get a lot of vapor quickly, I go from 180c to 220c and I can go fast, hit after hit and still get great clouds.
The vapor start slow and it don't stop until the herb is spent.
What I really like with this mode is playing with the herb, in this mode the herb have enough space to move around when I inhale so I don't have to stir at all and my herb comes out a nice even color completely extracted.
I have a nice view of the herb floating in the bowl, it's a fun experience.
This is also why I use the metal screen, all that shuffling of the herb in the bowl makes a mess of crumbs and that's what fall on the heater after.

If you flip the bowl and use it in Flavor mode (glass screen away from the heater) you have less space for your herb and you will need to stir a little bit.
The good news is that vapor production is still better than it was with the Cyclone.
The vapor production is slower but this is a mode to use when you want to take it easy and relax.
How flavorful is it really? It's pretty good but I vape thru water so I'm not the best guy to talk about this aspect of the vape.
All I can say is that I get some good hit at the start and the flavor get muted quick but it's always a vapor that's gentle on my lungs.

The DDave bowl is still the best, on both the EQ and the XQ2, anyone surprised?
The screen is close to the heater, wide open airflow, nothing to stop the production of vapor.
You need to stir but you will still get good results if you don't.
The big problem with the DDave bowl is to get one, it's not always in stock and can be expensive to order, also not everybody likes to order stuff online.
I also noticed that I have more weed falling from the screen when I stir because the screen move around in the adapter.

What this all means is that for the XQ2, Arizer finally have a bowl that works like it should, you don't need to have the DDave bowl to get a good vapor production. You can still get a DDave bowl if you want to have a fully open airflow but it's not a necessity like before with the EQ.

Remember when I said I might be happy with using the vape natively?
I realized that I wasn't using the elbow adapter that came with the XQ2 but another one I got from Sticky Bricks.
The difference in airflow is noticeable, the opening of the Arizer adapter is two times smaller than the Sticky Bricks one. This slow the airflow a lot and I'm wondering if it's by design.
I think because of the Cyclone bowl and it's mediocre vapor output you need to slow down the airflow to help the vapor production.
Also one common trait all the Arizer products have is the lack of airflow.
The Argo, the Solo and the Air are all portable vapes with a restricted airflow, I think it's possible that Arizer want the same thing for the desktops.
The DDave bowl proved that the EQ heater could keep up with a wide open airflow so there's no reason to not take advantage of this.
The good new is you only have to change one adapter, you are not restricted to buy it from one place in particular, as long as you can put a basket screen on one side and fit the hose on the other you will be good.
I know that for me as soon as my lungs need to work harder to pull I'm not comfortable but I can change that by changing the adapter, the water pipe or the water level.
If you don't change anything you will still get a lot of vapor, it's just slower.
It's not the same situation as before with the EQ if you didn't use the DDave bowl the whole vapor production would be cut in half.

I tried the bags and I'm glad I did.
I did 3 bags with the same load in the Connoisseur bowl in cloud mode at the max fan speed.
It produced a lot of vapor, the abv was a nice even dark brown color.
First bag at 180c the taste was good, nice vapor for the lowest temp.
Second bag at 200c a lot more vapor, no taste but the vapor is still enjoyable.
Last bag at 220c was spent, a bit less vapor and the taste was toasty but I was still able to inhale it without coughing a lung and destroying my throat.
I never thought I would use the bags on the XQ2, not when I have a Volcano or two around.
The thing is I was really satisfied with the vapor and the buzz I got and I can see myself waking up at 2 in the morning and sticking an arm out of the covers to prepare myself a bag.
The vapor of the XQ2 will never beat the vapor from a Volcano, but try to blow a bag in the middle of the night without doing too much noise with the Volcano, good luck!
The fan on the XQ2 is a lot less noisy, also the bags from Arizer don't make crackling noises for the next half hour like the ones for the Volcano.
You got to wait more for the vapor but it's worth it.
You have to wait two times longer but you pay three times less to get a bag of good quality vapor, that's a good deal.
The new glass connector works perfectly and makes a great mouth piece, also easy to use with a water pipe with a 10mm adapter.

What I like about this vape and Arizer is the fact that it's available almost everywhere.
Online or at your local smoke shop you can easily find one and it's accessories.
It's not that expensive, often on sale and it will give you good vapor and a good experience.
The form factor isn't as intimidating as some other vapes and it's a good build quality made to last.
It's a good introduction to different forms of vaporization.
Very easy to use with audio and visual cue to help you know what is happening with the vape.
It will get you high like the best of them.

Right now the XQ2 is the perfect vape for me to have in my bedroom, it's also the vape I will bring with me if I need a desktop for a party or a week-end somewhere.
I will keep the EQ as a spare in case something happens to the XQ2, I'll have something to use until my replacement arrives.

Unless we discover a very critical flaw in this vape, I will be recommending the XQ2 to anybody looking for a first desktop vape for sure.
Not a perfect vape but for the price it's a nice introduction and will give you an idea about what you want to have in a vape if you ever get bitten by the VAS bug.

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
@Bad Dog Thanks for the suggestion, I looked and Broken coast is available in Quebec but none of the strain you talked about are.
I'm gonna give the other strains a try for sure, it's a bit more expensive but if the quality is there, I'm interested.
check the names again and look for gabriola for frost monster and denman for pie in the sky. its so stupid when there is a strain name and a different grower name lol

The Chemist

check the names again and look for gabriola for frost monster and denman for pie in the sky. its so stupid when there is a strain name and a different grower name lol
Ok I found it. They are out of stock unfortunately.
What's even more stupid is that some of their product are sold under the real strain name and the rest not, I see they have some Pipe dream, Kush mints and Amnesia haze available, it's difficult to find the stuff you're looking for when they use different names for the same thing.
Maybe they are changing the name of the products they sell, I'm with Canopy growth for my medical weed and I know they are starting to use the real name of the strain instead of the stupid names they want to use. Hopefully this will becomes the norm in the industry.

dtrdrk

This looks awesome. I’m wondering if the remote is any better than the original one? I had to operate it right in front of the unit - making it pretty useless. Is the range of the new version somehow improved? Best

The Chemist

This looks awesome. I’m wondering if the remote is any better than the original one? I had to operate it right in front of the unit - making it pretty useless. Is the range of the new version somehow improved? Best
The remote is better for sure , as long as I point it in the direction of the vape it works.
No need to be right in front of the vape to use the remote, I can do it from the sides or from behind the unit.

The Chemist

Great to see a "new" desktop from Arizer. A little pricey IMO, but I'm interrested! Does anyone have photos or video of the unit's airpath? any proof it's actually isolated?
Until someone open up the vape we won't know for sure what the airpath looks like.
All I can say is that the XQ2 isn't open inside like the EQ was, there's a piece of plastic right under the male glass part of the heater.
At least it's easier to clean up if you drop some herb in there now.

Rikhart

Until someone open up the vape we won't know for sure what the airpath looks like.
All I can say is that the XQ2 isn't open inside like the EQ was, there's a piece of plastic right under the male glass part of the heater.
At least it's easier to clean up if you drop some herb in there now.

Hi there. After years making do with my vapcap, I am now looking to get a desktop vape. I have greatly enjoyed your review, thank you. Could I bother you with a question, since you have both the EQ and XQ2, you are the perfect person to ask. I have the chance to buy an EQ right now for 109 euros, or wait a bit more and get an XQ2 for 199, so double the price. Would you say this is worth it? Or would I be better served with the EQ for half the money?

The Chemist

Hi there. After years making do with my vapcap, I am now looking to get a desktop vape. I have greatly enjoyed your review, thank you. Could I bother you with a question, since you have both the EQ and XQ2, you are the perfect person to ask. I have the chance to buy an EQ right now for 109 euros, or wait a bit more and get an XQ2 for 199, so double the price. Would you say this is worth it? Or would I be better served with the EQ for half the money?
The big difference between the two vapes is the isolated airpath.
In the EQ the air pass over the electronic parts, there was concern that it might not be healthy, that's why the isolated airpath in the XQ2 is a big deal.
I don't remember if there was good reasons to be cautious with the EQ or if it was a better safe than sorry situation.
In my case I never had any problems with the EQ and I used it full time for a year, my lungs never complained.

If you go with the EQ you will probably want to change the bowl if you want to get good results

Buy the EQ if you want to save a bit of cash and you're not bothered by the airpath.

Buy the XQ2 if the isolated airpath is important for you.

The difference in performance between the two vapes is tiny, the newer model is better but not by much.

daoist

No need for bags. You just put a whip into your gasmask.
But if you need to maybe you can plug the 14mm mouth piece of the arizer bags into the whip of the volcano.
It works if i put ithe mouthpiece in the whip of the EQ.

Last edited:
Top Bottom